Author Topic: Stylz Avant Garde Cover Review by intinst  (Read 2847 times)  

Offline intinst

• Shannon Hills, AR
  • 'just enough clouds to create a beautiful sunset
    • View Profile
Stylz Avant Garde Cover Review by intinst
« on: March 07, 2009, 03:05:22 pm »
Today I received my Avant Garde case and since the board was having some server problems, decided to change the skin and put my KK in the new case. I had ordered the Quest design from DecalGirl back in early January while waiting on my Kindle. By purchasing a Klassic Kindle from another board member, I was able to have a KK in my hands weeks before I would have received the K2, so jumped at the chance.
To continue with the review:
The Avant Garde case arrived in a cardboard windowed box inside a mylar envelope. The case itself is a tri-fold design, with a leather screen protector on the right side and several small pockets on the left. These pockets are sized for business cards, spare SD cards and a pen slot. There is a hole in the back for access to the on/off and Wireless switches. There
are two brackets for holding the Kindle in place.  These hold the Kindle securely, but allow for easy removal. The case by itself weighs appox. 12 & 5/8 oz. With the Kindle it weighs 1lb 7 & 1/8 oz.  For comparison, the KK in my Oberon cover weighs, 1lb 3 & 5/8 oz., the StrangeDog canvas and deerskin w/ KK weighs 1lb&3/4 oz. And the original cover and Kindle weigh 1lb oz.  My hardbound copy of White Witch, Black Curse weighs 1lb 9 & oz. and the paperback version of Dead until Dark weighs 5 & oz.
As you can tell, this case is heavier than all of the other cases I own. The tri-fold design adds the extra weight. However, it is by far the elegant of the cases I have and most that I have seen. It is a little thicker while reading, but can easily be held by either hand. I find I hold it by the cover with the left hand and the cover and KK with the right.

KK with quest skin

Avant Garde Cover

View opened
d
Pockets (Notice how well the obligatory paper clip fits in the pen  slot)

Screen Protector

Access to switches on back

Jacks and volume switches  View folded for reading

All in all, it probably will not be my every day cover, the Oberon and the StrangeDog will fill that role. When I want to carry a more impressive looking device, The Avant Garde will capably serve in that capacity.
I would grade it  an A for looks and style, a C for weight and thickness with an overall B.
A great many people now reading and writing would be better employed keeping rabbits.  Edith Sitwell 
Your work is to keep cranking the flywheel that turns the gears that spin the belt in the
engine of belief that keeps you and your desk in midair. Annie Dillard

Located just outside Little Rock, Arkansas

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline pidgeon92

• Chicago IL
    • Nothin' but a hound dog.
      • View Profile
      • Carmen-Ashland Building
    Re: Stylz Avant Garde Cover Review by intinst
    « Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 03:16:10 pm »
    I want that skin for my K2! I've been waiting for DecalGirl to make it available.... *sigh*

Do you have a higher resolution picture of it? If so, please post a link.... Thanks!
       my e-readers: Kindle 2 Kindle 3 nook iPad Sony-950

Offline Kathy

• Lighthouse Point, FL
    • Member 376
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 03:43:03 pm »
    Beautiful combo. I really like ethe Quest skin.

Offline Kind

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 12:54:27 pm »
    wow, nice skin and cover. Looks great and great review.

Kindleholic - Addicted since Summer 2008.
    Original Kindle x 2  Woot Woot

KBoards.com

• Advertisement