Author Topic: M-Edge Executive Leather for Kindle 1 (for those still interested) by skanter  (Read 2000 times)  

Offline skanter

• View Profile
I know most people are interested in K2 covers, but I just got a used K1 and bought this fine cover, and thought i'd offer my review:

Generally, I love it! But, not without its faults - compared to the original Kindle 1 cover (OC).

PROS:

1. Beautiful leather, with that great fresh leather smell like a luxury car! I got the smooth mocha, and it's quite luxurious, befitting the wonderful device inside. General build quality looks very good, looks like it will hold up under wear.

2. Holds the K1 much more securely than the OC (although my K1 never slipped out of OC).

3. Wider than OC, with some more grabbing space.

4. Designed for built-in-LED light (which I don't have yet). M-Edge is out of stock for present light, will have new version soon.

5. Price ($35) is down from original $50, and well worth it for this quality.

CONS:

1. Doesn't protect screen as well as OC. There is no pillow-type pad, and something could get into case that could scratch the screen. Hopefully, this is not likely, but a pad like the OC (instead of all the pockets which aren't really needed) would have eliminated any problem.

2. The flap that closes the cover is slightly in the way when holding with the right hand - it just sticks out. When folded over, putting it back in the sleeve makes the cover too bulky. I might get used to it, but now I wish it weren't there.

3. Leather bunches up when folded over - not sure if this is harmful, but it didn't happen with OC.

4. Cover is heavier than original, making it more difficult to hold with one hand.

5. Turning power and wireless switch on and off is more difficult. If you don't take the upper-right band off, it is hard to get one's finger behind it. If you take it off, it's difficult to put back on correctly. A few times my K1 started turning pages automatically without stopping - it was because the band was putting pressure on the next page bar.

CONCLUSION: Despite faults, there is no way I could go back to the original cover. The look and feel of the M-Edge cover greatly enhances the overall kindle experience. If the light works well, it will be significantly more functional. FOUR STARS (out of five).
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 07:18:42 am by Leslie »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline KBoards Admin

• Administrator
    • Bellingham WA
    • Love all, moderate all.
      • View Profile
      • KBoards
    Re: M-Edge Executive Leather for Kindle 1 (for those still interested)
    « Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 08:14:10 am »
    Thanks for the thoughtful review. And yes, there are a lot of Kindle 1's out there, and will be for a long time, so these reviews of Kindle 1 covers are much appreciated!!
    Flint and Flame: 15%

Authors: set up your own work-in-progress bar with our Author Sig tool.

Offline skanter

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 09:10:24 am »
    Thanks for the thoughtful review. And yes, there are a lot of Kindle 1's out there, and will be for a long time, so these reviews of Kindle 1 covers are much appreciated!!

My pleasure. I will add an addendum when light comes out...

Offline intinst

• Shannon Hills, AR
    • 'just enough clouds to create a beautiful sunset
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 09:41:29 am »
    Thank you for the review. I hope my KK outlives many covers, so knowing about other options is helpful.
    A great many people now reading and writing would be better employed keeping rabbits.  Edith Sitwell 
    Your work is to keep cranking the flywheel that turns the gears that spin the belt in the
    engine of belief that keeps you and your desk in midair. Annie Dillard

Located just outside Little Rock, Arkansas

Offline skanter

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 09:07:45 pm »
    Thank you for the review. I hope my KK outlives many covers, so knowing about other options is helpful.

Which cover are you using now?

I like the M-Edge cover more and more as time passes. The look and feel (and smell) of the real leather just makes me happy to be holding it!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement