Author Topic: Avatar  (Read 1441 times)  

Offline PraiseGod13

• Iowa
  • <'///>< Member #54
    • View Profile
« on: November 10, 2008, 01:20:45 pm »
I admit to being totally technology challenged... have been using Harvey's instructions and working for hours trying to use one of my photos for my avatar.  I uploaded some personal photos to photobucket and finally figured out that they are too large to use.  So, I have re-sized them and now can get that to work.  But, my picture becomes distorted.  It is a vertical/rectangular picture but it seems like it is being "stretched" into a square which distorts it.  I see lots of other avatars that are vertical and rectangular..... so can you tell me what I'm doing wrong please!!!  I want my picture to stay rectangular...... not square.  Also, please advise a "Newbie" where everyone is getting their clip art birthday pictures from for their birthday party avatars.  I have so much to learn and am so grateful for the KindleBoards!!!!!  Thanks for your patience and advice!!!

MaKK (K1) & Shemar (K3)
Books let us into their souls and lay open to us the secrets of our own. ~ William Hazl

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline pidgeon92

• Chicago IL
    • Nothin' but a hound dog.
      • View Profile
      • Carmen-Ashland Building
    Re: Avatar
    « Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 01:29:00 pm »
    What software are you using to manipulate your photos?

Whatever you are using, open one of the photos you want to use. Find the crop tool. If you can change the settings on the tool, choose "square." If you cannot (or don't know how to) change the settings, you will usually get a perfect square by holding down the shift key on your keyboard, then choose the portion of your picture you want for your avatar. You can change the image size in your software as well, generally the command will be under the edit menu, and will say something like "image size." Your picture cannot be larger than 100x100 pixels, and screen resolution should be 72px.

If you still need help, please let me know about your image software, and I can walk you through it.
       my e-readers: Kindle 2 Kindle 3 nook iPad Sony-950

Offline PraiseGod13

• Iowa
    • <'///>< Member #54
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 01:41:47 pm »
    Thanks for your help!  I'm using photobucket and have been able to re-size and crop my picture there.  But, I guess my question remains.... is it possible to keep my rectangular picture a rectangle like other people's avatars are..... is there a way to not have it automatically converted into a square picture.  When it downloads into my profile it is rectangular and looks great..... but when it is used as my avatar it becomes a square picture and is being "stretched" to make it square.  Hope I'm describing this well enough......  again.... technology challenged.

MaKK (K1) & Shemar (K3)
    Books let us into their souls and lay open to us the secrets of our own. ~ William Hazl

Offline Shizu

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 01:56:01 pm »
    I didn't know there's restriction to avatar size. I just uploaded the picture from my pc that I wanted. I'm looking at the info of my picture that I used for my avatar with Photoshop CS3 and it says 307x230 pixel, and resolution of 180 pixel.

Offline Buttercup

• Monterey Bay, CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 02:03:53 pm »
    You can also upload the pic directly from your computer if it's just going to be used for your avatar.
    Bassets are like potato chips, you can't have just one!
    www.ggbassetrescue.org

Offline PraiseGod13

• Iowa
    • <'///>< Member #54
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 02:39:57 pm »
    Thanks so much for your help!  I've learned so much today.... was even able to use a birthday clipart that I found for my avatar.... and added two pictures of my Havanese to the pet photo discussion.  Yeah!!  KindleBoards is second only to reading on my Kindle!!!

MaKK (K1) & Shemar (K3)

Offline Angela

• Texas
    • aka: tx_angel, A Wayt, Babe, Mom, Grandma, Hey YOU
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 08:45:54 pm »
    I see you already found some birthday pics... I found animated ones by googling "birthday images animated"

KBoards.com

• Advertisement