Author Topic: David Morrell on ebooks  (Read 852 times)  

Offline Mike D. aka jmiked

• Terra firma
    • View Profile
David Morrell on ebooks
« on: March 04, 2011, 09:39:52 am »
David Morrell has an interesting write-up on ebooks at his web site (half-way down the page):

http://www.davidmorrell.net/whatsnew/dsp.whatsnew.cfm

Nothing spectacularly new, but interesting.

Mike

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline QuantumIguana

• Minneapolis
      • View Profile
    Re: David Morrell on ebooks
    « Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 11:05:05 am »
    At some point, the percentage of the book market taken up by ebooks will slow, it's not going to increase at the same rate. The big box bookstores got to big, too unresponsive, to hard to make changes. The smaller stores should thrive again when the big box stores fade away. They can be much more responsive to the local market instead of being the same in every market.

Comparing the cost of ebooks to hardcover books is one way of looking at it, but many people look at the cost in comparison to paperback books.

Offline nicholaslasalla

• IL
    • "I am here to kick $$$ and chew bubblegum."
      • View Profile
      • Living In Fantasy: An Author's Journal
    « Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 11:25:36 pm »
    I love David Morrell.  Nobody writes thrillers like he does...though I don't like his prices.  I can't justify spending $10 on an E-Book, which does not occupy a physical space in my house.  There is no cost for distribution, so where is that extra money going?  I'm all for giving a great author like David my cash, but if I'm spending $10, I'm going with a mass market paperback, thank you very much.

I think it's only a matter of time until the traditional publishers realize that they have to start dropping their prices, too.  They're gouging the you-know-what out of their customers, giving the authors a sliver of that income and then using the rest of it to pay for . . . whatever publishers feel the need to pay for.  ;-)

My first book, One More Day was purchased by a major publisher, but they dumped their entire line of spec fiction before it could see the light of day.  I came back and released it on the Kindle, and it's turned out pretty well. 

I can't ever see myself charging more than a couple bucks for a book, though.  For something that is virtual, not tangible . . . doesn't seem right to me.
    - Nick

A Modern Ghost Story

Offline Me and My Kindle

• One of Amazon's best-selling Kindle bloggers
      • View Profile
      • Throw in the Vowel
    « Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 12:19:23 am »
    He said two really interesting things that I hadn't thought of before -- how much authors love ebooks, and for two very good reasons.

1. A book need no longer go out of print. 

2. An author need no longer feel the frustration of smothering a fervent need to write a particular book because publishers dont think theres a bestselling market for it.  (He even added, "This is a big deal.")

I think he's right, and that the world of "arts and letters" is going to be changed, for the better, by e-books. The publishing industry was already getting stingier and stingier about developing new talent.  But nevertheless, in the past the only books that existed were books that some publisher, somewhere, thought there was a market for.  Now that's not the case.

Over on Amazon's Kindle forum, someone even posted a thank-you to independent authors, saying "I am finding they have just as much talent and sometimes even more than the New York Times best selling authors... There is nothing better than reading a labor of love by someone who is not getting rich from it. They just do it because they love it."

Amen!

Co-author of the new game
                     "Throw in the Vowel"

One of Amazon's best-selling
              Kindle word games!

Now also available on Kindle PAPERWHITE!

Just released! Try it now!

A fun, challenging, and original new word game

Offline WilliamM

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 05:57:35 am »
    when did borders team up with Amazon to sell ebooks? the only e-reader Borders carried was the Sony.

Offline MariaESchneider

• Austin, Texas
    • Urban Fantasy, Fantasy, Humorous Mysteries
      • View Profile
      • Bear Mountain Books
    « Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 07:28:22 am »
    when did borders team up with Amazon to sell ebooks? the only e-reader Borders carried was the Sony.

Amazon was in a deal with borders a long while back (before ebooks became popular)  I'm not sure if they sold ebooks for borders, but I believe they managed Borders online storefront or something like that.

Offline Mike D. aka jmiked

• Terra firma
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 07:52:16 am »
    Over on Amazon's Kindle forum, someone even posted a thank-you to independent authors, saying "I am finding they have just as much talent and sometimes even more than the New York Times best selling authors... There is nothing better than reading a labor of love by someone who is not getting rich from it. They just do it because they love it."

Yep. Now if they would just start writing classic mysteries and science fiction, I'd be set.  :) :)

Mike

Offline Bob Mayer

• Write on the River TN
      • View Profile
      • Cool Gus Publishing
    « Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 08:11:05 am »
    I think Morrell is on target, although my prediction is that eBooks will be 50% of the market by the end of this year, not in 3 to 5, although the Big 6 won't admit it.  Just last January they said eBooks were 3% and laughed.  Then at end of year admitted 10%, which was a lie.  They're juking the stats to quote The Wire.
    His account on Borders where 2/3 of their store was devoted to CDs and DVDs can go further.  They are now bankrupt.  Books are going the way of CDs and DVDs.  Sony doesn't even make CDs any more and they're a big music studio.
    It's just reality regardless of how we feel about it.

Offline WilliamM

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 08:52:55 am »
    Amazon was in a deal with borders a long while back (before ebooks became popular)  I'm not sure if they sold ebooks for borders, but I believe they managed Borders online storefront or something like that.
    yes that i know about..but ebooks was not part of it

Offline Anna_DeStefano

• Somewhere in Georgia
      • View Profile
      • Anna DeStefano - Fantasy and Romance Author
    « Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 09:47:40 am »
    He said two really interesting things that I hadn't thought of before -- how much authors love ebooks, and for two very good reasons.

1. A book need no longer go out of print. 

2. An author need no longer feel the frustration of smothering a fervent need to write a particular book because publishers dont think theres a bestselling market for it.  (He even added, "This is a big deal.")

As an author publishing with a traditional publisher still, as well as one that's moving from mass market to the digital/trade, I can say from experience that this is a big deal. A scary one, innovative one for sure. But my first paranormal was racked in romance, irregardless that it wasn't a true romance, because of my best-selling background in that genre. Not all romance readers got it, and much of the sci-fi/fantasy crowd that would have appreciated the books metaphysics, dream theory, frantic pacing and darker/less traditional ending never found it. Now that Dorchester's not tied to making a profit from the broken mass market model, my second book is coming out with sci-fi/fantasy on the spine (still in chain stores like B&N, only as a trade pbk), and there's already a digital buzz.

Whether it sells the same or better than the first book, it has a shot now to reach the audience I've been writing for from the start. A publisher isn't trying to make it fit into a very small box because that's the only box available to earn back the ridiculous expense of mass market printing, distributing, warehousing and returns. We're able to direct market now to multiple genres, still produce a quality product but reach a wider audience, and their costs are business-sustainable. Otherwise, Dorchester and my second release would both be dead in the ground now.

That's a VERY big deal--that authors and publishers have options and the timing is right for the experimental approaches many of us are taking on. Making innovative authors and non-traditional books available to the readers who love them, even if those aren't the books that will hit the traditional NYT list, etc., is a win-win for all of us.
    Anna DeStefano
    Nationally Best-Selling Author
    Blog

Offline MariaESchneider

• Austin, Texas
    • Urban Fantasy, Fantasy, Humorous Mysteries
      • View Profile
      • Bear Mountain Books
    « Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 01:51:29 pm »
    yes that i know about..but ebooks was not part of it

Agreed, but I think that is what he was referencing (a guess.  I'm a fiction writer, what do you expect?!?)   ;)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement