Author Topic: How Do You Decide Which New Authors to Read?  (Read 2762 times)  

Offline Laura Lond

• View Profile
Re: How Do You Decide Which New Authors to Read?
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2011, 03:42:45 pm »
Word of mouth, reviews and then by sampling first.

Me, too. It's either hearing someone whose tastes I trust praise a book or stumbling upon a good review from a trusted source. Sometimes a book can catch by eye when I'm browsing, I'll sample it and also check out reviews / feedback.

I've found so many good reads here on Kindleboards. :)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline SeanPB

• Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: March 05, 2011, 04:21:22 pm »
    Recommendations and reviews tend to pull me in the right direction. 

Offline KRCox

• I write fiction, listen to metal, & drive a hybrid
      • View Profile
      • Official Site
    « Reply #27 on: March 05, 2011, 07:42:16 pm »
    Word of mouth, reviews and then by sampling first.

I agree with Mr.Shannon. That's about how I do it too.

Sometimes, I'll just give a book a whirl because the title or image on the cover catches my fancy, and then I'll sample it.

Offline SCPennington

• Texas
      • View Profile
      • Sharon Cupp Pennington, author of romantic suspense
    « Reply #28 on: March 07, 2011, 12:09:45 pm »
    I admit to choosing a book by all of the means listed. But I'm also a closet title junkie. Love titles, love creating titles. I've been known to title my novels before writing them. If I'm in a brick and mortar bookstore, I glance across spines and until a title intrigues me. Then I check out the cover art, read the back cover text, and often, page one to see if I like the author's style. I also check out books recommended by my daughters, both avid readers, but often times don't find the books they read interesting. Couldn't get into the Twilight series at all.

Goodreads is an excellent site for perusing titles.

And I always, ALWAYS, read the Amazon reviews before buying. Not just the 5-star reviews. I love to see a mix. The good, the bad, and the ugly. LOL

Sharon

Offline Joseph Robert Lewis

• USA
      • View Profile
      • Official site of author Joseph Robert Lewis
    « Reply #29 on: March 07, 2011, 12:57:03 pm »
    I tend to just start searching Amazon for keywords, and then looking at cool covers, and then looking at linked books and recommendations, and bouncing from page to page until something really jumps out at me. Very unscientific!

Offline sighdone

• UK
    • Emmy Award Winning Writer
      • View Profile
      • simon dunn: scriptwriter & comedian
    « Reply #30 on: March 07, 2011, 02:09:29 pm »
    However I find a book, I will always read a page or two. If the writing style appeals to me, then I will buy it.

Simon Dunn | Website | Newsletter | Twitter

Offline Julia444

• View Profile
      • Julia Buckley
    « Reply #31 on: March 07, 2011, 02:25:07 pm »
    I am VERY susceptible to a great cover, even though we are not supposed to judge books by those.  :)

I also pay attention to recommendations, but if my eye is drawn to a cool cover--whether it's online, at the bookstore or library, or in someone else's house--I'm going to check out that book.

Julia

Offline hs

• SF Bay Area
      • View Profile
      • HS Writing
    « Reply #32 on: March 07, 2011, 02:40:43 pm »
    1. Word-of-mouth recommendation is my primary source for discovering new authors.
    4/5. Reviews outside of Amazon. I usually stumble across new books from reading their reviews on other sites, including book review blogs.

As others have mentioned, price matters too. I'm more likely to try out a new author if their books are inexpensive (less than $5).

Offline Shelia A. Huggins

• North Carolina
      • View Profile
      • Peeling Cheek
    « Reply #33 on: March 07, 2011, 02:44:14 pm »
    Like Julia, the cover can be a big deal.

But generally, I'm interested in certain genres for fiction and certain types of nonfiction. From there, it's the sample. I will read reviews but I now realize that I can't depend on those. People have different tastes and expectations. So I now download the sample and go from there. My luck has been good so far.

Offline Gone 9/21/18

• View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: March 07, 2011, 03:13:41 pm »
    If I hear about a book that sounds interesting, I look it up. Ways I "hear" about books are in ebook forums; on Amazon, following links around; and even sometimes on radio. I've never been a reader of reviews, and if someone tells me they know I'll love something, I'm immediately sure I won't.

So once a description piques my initial interest, I look the book up on Amazon, where it has to be available for Kindle and at a price I'm willing to pay. After that it's whether the description still sounds attractive and is well done. After that it's the Sample, and if I get to the end of the Sample and don't want to quit, I buy. For me covers aren't so much an attraction as a repellent. I don't have to like a cover, but a cover I dislike will stop me investigating further.

For books that really, really sound interesting or books by favorite authors that are too expensive, it's the library for me.
    I did not and will not consent to VerticalScope's TOS.

Offline carl_h

• Medford, OR
      • View Profile
      • Photography by Carl
    « Reply #35 on: March 07, 2011, 04:49:08 pm »
    The signature lines of the authors here and at GoodReads often prompts me to look further.  The lists on Amazon.com and from reviews from friends on GoodReads are also good search vehicles.  Once I find a book that might be of interest to me, I seek out reviews on GoodReads.  I find the reviews there to be a bit more authentic than the ones I read on Amazon.  That's not to say that I ignore reviews on Amazon, but I do place more value on those from here and GoodReads for some reason.  Last, but certainly not least, is word of mouth, recommendations from friends that read similar books that I read, and sometimes just plain luck while reading these threads.

Check out my bookshelves on Goodreads - where you can see what your friends are reading.
    https://www.goodreads.com/friend/i?i=LTM2MDI1NDg2NTE6MzYw  Feel free to "friend me"!

See some of my photos http://www.chhphotos.zenfolio.com

Offline jsmclean

• My favorite pooch!
      • View Profile
      • Not A Sandwich
    « Reply #36 on: March 07, 2011, 06:54:31 pm »
    I admit to choosing a book by all of the means listed. But I'm also a closet title junkie. Love titles, love creating titles....

...If I'm in a brick and mortar bookstore, I glance across spines and until a title intrigues me.

Hi!  I'm new here, I hope this is an okay way to quote someone--I just couldn't have put that any better.  A great title will sell me on any book.

To be honest, though, I am not particularly discerning anyway.  If I have the time, I'll read almost anything--so to be more specific, every method mentioned by the OP is used by me, but in addition, I tend to click on titles that pop up and are elegant, horrifying, beautiful, hilarious (you probably get the idea). 

Nice to meet everyone!

Offline KRCox

• I write fiction, listen to metal, & drive a hybrid
      • View Profile
      • Official Site
    « Reply #37 on: March 11, 2011, 06:29:49 pm »
    --- edited... no self-promotion outside the Book Bazaar forum. please read our Forum Decorum thread.
    « Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 05:28:29 am by Ann in Arlington »

Offline RChaffee

• Roseburg OR
    • Nothing worth doing is easy.
      • View Profile
      • R.Chaffee blog
    « Reply #38 on: March 11, 2011, 08:41:45 pm »
    Its gotta have a awesome cover! No thats not true, look at Twilight, those are terrible covers. Ok it must be family recommendations...but no, my sister once gave me a copy of Tom Sawyer. Yuck! Oh I know, its the blurb on the back...wait...it's...it's all of those things and a whole lot more. People find books in the most unlikely of places. I read Stephen King for the first time, just to get through saturday school detention without slitting my wrists.

It changed my life! It really did.

R. Chaffee
    Author of "The switch and the Soul" visit me at www.rchaffee.com or follow me on twitter @R_Chaffee

Offline Patrick Skelton

• Columbus, OH
    • Patrick Skelton Author of The Solar Flare Crisis
      • View Profile
      • www.patrickskelton.com
    « Reply #39 on: March 11, 2011, 08:50:32 pm »
    What Joe said! :)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement