Author Topic: Peeramid Pillow (book easel) Review by VictoriaP  (Read 28780 times)  

Offline VictoriaP

• Rainy, dreary, gray Puget Sound
  • ^ ...wish I was back here...
    • View Profile
Peeramid Pillow (book easel) Review by VictoriaP
« on: March 17, 2009, 01:28:19 pm »
Overview:

The Peeramid is an unusual item meant as an alternative to a traditional book easel.   A lightweight pyramid shaped pillow, it allows you to prop your reading material at a fairly upright angle while keeping the base from slipping.  The Peeramid comes in a variety of colors to suit most decorating schemes.

I ordered the Peeramid through Amazon for $29.95. Others have purchased the burgundy model from Drugstore.com for a significant savings; a good option if youre not fussy about the color.  (Edited to add:  Some have found deals recently for a leopard or jungle print pattern as well.)

First look:

At a nominal 12 x 12 x 8, the Peermid is smaller than the throw pillows most of us have on our couches.  Its significantly lighter than I expected; I assumed it would need a certain heft to support the weight of a hardcover DTB.  Instead, this is a pillow you can easily use on your lap and not notice the weight!

I bought the Peeramid in Harvest Gold as it appeared to be the most neutral color available, in spite of the name.  The upholstery weight fabric is in fact much closer to a warm beige than a true 70s era harvest gold, with shiny gold-toned accent threads.  The fabric used for the Harvest Gold is 50/50 acrylic and polyester, and is not a soft fabric by any stretch of the imagination.  It does look like it will hold up fairly well with use.  Cleaning instructions are not included; I would assume its spot treat or dry clean only.

Usage:

Kindle:  The Peeramid almost seems to have been designed with the Kindle in mind.  My K2 fits it perfectly, with or without the Oberon cover (folded back), and I can see where this will replace the current easel I have been using in my living room.

Overall, the Peeramid is a nice Kindle accessory that may enhance your reading experience.  There are two main disadvantages Ive experienced that may be deal breakers to some.

Anglemany bookrests are adjustable, the Peeramid is not.  The reading angle is probably comfortable for most users, but its definitely very upright.

Heightif you have neck problems, this device may very well aggravate them.  It adds virtually no height to the book, so if you have it on your lap, your neck will be bent downward to read; laying flat on your back with the Peeramid on your torso, youll find yourself bending your chin downwards as well.  Im going to be trying this with pillows of different sizes beneath it to boost the level; Ill also be trying it in different reading positions to see what works best.

Other reading material (because, lets face it, not everything is available on the Kindle yet.):

Truthfully, if Id bought this for anything other than Kindle usage, Id be sending it back immediately as not worth the price paid.  Others may have had a different experience with it, and if so, I hope theyll let us know by commenting or posting their own reviews.

Magazines:  I used a Better Homes & Gardens as a reasonably standard magazine size.  Fully open, both pages tend to fall to either side of the pyramid shape, making it hard to read.  With one side folded back beneath the other, one page is readable at a time, but the upper open corner of the pages continued to fold back.  The pyramid shape simply doesnt provide enough support to the softer paper of a magazine.

Paperbacks:  As near as I can tell, the only way to get the full versatility of using a Peeramid is to break the spines of your books.  An intact paperback simply will not stay open in the groove between the pyramid & baffle.  The Peeramid could still be used as a prop, but will not be hands free.

Hardcovers:  Similar to the paperbacks, an average sized new hardcover will not stay open on its own and required at least one hand to brace the book against the pillow.  Older hardcovers with broken spines did better.

Hope this is helpful!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 08:10:36 pm by VictoriaP »
"If you will practice being fictional for a while, you will understand that fictional characters are sometimes more real than people with bodies and heartbeats." -- Richard Bach, "Illusions"

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Leslie

• Member 24!
    • Global Moderator
    • Maine, USA
    • Kindle Paperwhite for Dummies available now!
      • View Profile
      • Maine Desk
    Re: Peeramid Pillow (book easel) Review by VictoriaP
    « Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 01:32:01 pm »
    Victoria, thanks! This is very helpful. I've been curious about how the Peeramid works with other reading materials.

L

Leslie Nicoll

Offline VictoriaP

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 01:37:55 pm »
    Victoria, thanks! This is very helpful. I've been curious about how the Peeramid works with other reading materials.

L

You're welcome!

I'm a bit disappointed in it for use with other materials so far; I have periodic problems with my hands due to a medical condition, and I was hoping this would make it easier to read some DTBs when things flare up.  It's useful enough with the Kindle to keep it for that use, so I'll continue to experiment with it with DTBs to see if I can make it feel more workable. And I'm hoping Luv has some experiences using it that she can share!
    "If you will practice being fictional for a while, you will understand that fictional characters are sometimes more real than people with bodies and heartbeats." -- Richard Bach, "Illusions"

Offline intinst

• Shannon Hills, AR
    • 'just enough clouds to create a beautiful sunset
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 02:06:40 pm »
    Thanks, I have been wondering about the use of this cushion for the Kindle.
    A great many people now reading and writing would be better employed keeping rabbits.  Edith Sitwell 
    Your work is to keep cranking the flywheel that turns the gears that spin the belt in the
    engine of belief that keeps you and your desk in midair. Annie Dillard

Located just outside Little Rock, Arkansas

Offline luvmy4brats

• Enabler Extraordinaire
    • Eastern Shore, MD
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 02:15:04 pm »
    I love this pillow and have been using it for several months. Thank you for the review.

I can't really help with using it for other things. I really only use it for the Kindle. (I don't read anything other than my Kindle)

Offline Linda Cannon-Mott

• Assignment #118
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 03:06:10 pm »
    Nice review Victoria P, thanks for posting.  :)

Offline cheeki

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 03:46:57 pm »
    I have the peeramid. I love it for my kindle.  Laying down (side or back) and sitting, this works great with the kindle.  I agree that with a paper back or hard cover the spine of a new book would not  allow the pages to stay open without holding them with your hands.

Offline KBoards Admin

• Administrator
    • Bellingham WA
    • Love all, moderate all.
      • View Profile
      • KBoards
    « Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 10:41:45 am »
    Thanks for this review. You have made the front page of our blog! See Leslie's post about your review, here: https://www.kboards.com/blog/2009/03/review-of-the-peeramid-pillow/
    Flint and Flame: 15%

Authors: set up your own work-in-progress bar with our Author Sig tool.

Offline VictoriaP

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 11:43:41 am »
    Thanks for this review. You have made the front page of our blog! See Leslie's post about your review, here: https://www.kboards.com/blog/2009/03/review-of-the-peeramid-pillow/

LOL!  My 15 minutes of fame!  ;D

After a few more days of using the Peeramid, I can honestly say it ranks in my top 5 Kindle accessories.  I've been using it so much, I'm actually contemplating a second one so I don't have to keep moving it from one room to another. Plain & simple, it just makes reading a lot more comfortable.  Previously, I was often using an easel and a lightweight folding table to prop the K2 at a better angle or height for hands free reading.  Now I find myself putting the Peeramid on my lap in just about any position, or the arm of the couch, or yes, even on the dining room table to read.  And of course, it's a lot more portable than having to drag a table around!

Having neck & back issues, I do have to watch carefully to make sure my posture isn't affected by having the Peeramid too low.  But as it's so lightweight and yet so stable due to the wide base, I have yet to have an issue finding a way to place it where I need it for comfortable reading.

Offline Brenda M.

• Suwanee, GA
      • View Profile
      • Southeast Pug Rescue and Adoption, Inc.
    « Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 01:04:26 pm »
    I have this pillow as well and love it. My only complaint is the fringe for the tassel fell off. I got it at drugstore.com for a cheaper price than Amazon.
    Brenda

Offline Vegas_Asian

• Sin City
    • I know KungFu and 50 other dangerous words!!!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 02:27:17 pm »
    Wow thanks for the review. been curious about this product

Offline luvmy4brats

• Enabler Extraordinaire
    • Eastern Shore, MD
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 03:54:34 pm »
    I have this pillow as well and love it. My only complaint is the fringe for the tassel fell off. I got it at drugstore.com for a cheaper price than Amazon.

My son pulled the tassel off of mine about a week after I got it.

Offline MikeD

• Elsewhere
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: March 21, 2009, 11:51:13 pm »
    I bought one for my Mom to use with her Kindle. Mom is in the early stages of Parkinson's and her hands shake. Having read all her life (and likely the main reason that I am an avid reader today) giving up reading was a huge loss to her. But she could not hold a DTB steady enough to read it. The combination of the Kindle and the Peeramid have allowed her to read once again.

Offline Tippy

• South Dakota
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: March 22, 2009, 12:34:05 am »
    I bought one for my Mom to use with her Kindle. Mom is in the early stages of Parkinson's and her hands shake. Having read all her life (and likely the main reason that I am an avid reader today) giving up reading was a huge loss to her. But she could not hold a DTB steady enough to read it. The combination of the Kindle and the Peeramid have allowed her to read once again.

I am  sorry to hear about your Mom.  But I applaud your efforts to help her continue reading.  This is heartwarming and reminds me that the amazing Amazon Kindle is truly a blessing.  Thank you for sharing.

Offline Linda Cannon-Mott

• Assignment #118
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: March 22, 2009, 07:16:55 am »

Such a sweet story Mike. Wishing your Mom the best!

Offline artsandhistoryfan

• Berkeley, CA
      • View Profile
      • A Kindle World
    « Reply #15 on: March 31, 2009, 02:38:05 pm »
    Overview:

The Peeramid is an unusual item meant as an alternative to a traditional book easel.   A lightweight pyramid shaped pillow, it allows you to prop your reading material at a fairly upright angle while keeping the base from slipping.  The Peeramid comes in a variety of colors to suit most decorating schemes.

Thank you for the beautifully written and well-thought-out review and follow-ups here!

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: April 02, 2009, 01:24:44 pm »
    Thank you for your review.  I had been looking at the Peeramid for a while and decided to go ahead and order one (it was purple!).  I got it last week and it's great.  I do think I may take the tassel off on purpose to keep the cats from playing with it.

Offline egh34

• View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: April 03, 2009, 02:50:35 pm »

Mike, I'm not really commenting on your comment, but on your avatar. As a fellow PARROTHEAD, I just had to say hi!!

Offline Kind

• View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: April 03, 2009, 09:50:01 pm »
    Interesting... never heard of it before.

Kindleholic - Addicted since Summer 2008.
    Original Kindle x 2  Woot Woot

Offline luvmy4brats

• Enabler Extraordinaire
    • Eastern Shore, MD
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: April 03, 2009, 11:00:21 pm »
    I thought I'd post a couple of pictures of the Peeramid with the Kindle so you could see it in action.

Offline Neversleepsawink;)

• California
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: April 03, 2009, 11:12:08 pm »
    I love mine, after searching for hours....I found one cheaper on drugstore.com.  :D

Offline MikeD

• Elsewhere
      • View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: April 04, 2009, 03:22:44 am »
    Mike, I'm not really commenting on your comment, but on your avatar. As a fellow PARROTHEAD, I just had to say hi!!

Offline egh34

• View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: April 04, 2009, 03:44:50 pm »

Thinking Vegas in October (which would be my 10th time to see him over the years...), ever been to a concert?

Offline MikeD

• Elsewhere
      • View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: April 04, 2009, 04:21:38 pm »
    Thinking Vegas in October (which would be my 10th time to see him over the years...), ever been to a concert?

Yep - 17 times. I grew up in S. La. and lived in the area outside of New Orleans for the fist 49 years of my life. Plenty of opportunities to see him in the Gulf South, including a very memorable concert at the Worlds Fair in N.O. in 1984. I've been to a great many concerts over my lifetime and no one does live better than Jimmy. :)

Offline egh34

• View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: April 04, 2009, 05:34:16 pm »
    Yep - 17 times. I grew up in S. La. and lived in the area outside of New Orleans for the fist 49 years of my life. Plenty of opportunities to see him in the Gulf South, including a very memorable concert at the Worlds Fair in N.O. in 1984. I've been to a great many concerts over my lifetime and no one does live better than Jimmy. :)

OOOOHhhh, I am sooo jealous. I have never seen him in the south or east coast. I have seen him lots of times in the midwest, Chicago, Indy, Cincy, Wisconsin, and once in Vegas. Would love to "run into" him on one of his island concerts...

KBoards.com

• Advertisement