Author Topic: COMBINED THREAD -- the 99 cent price point  (Read 18648 times)  

Offline SEAN H. ROBERTSON

• Michigan
  • I'm grateful for your reads of my novels today!
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Sean H. Robertson page
Re: How do you react to a 99-cent price?
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2011, 08:02:23 pm »
If it looks interesting to me, I'll check it out.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Javier Gimenez Sasieta

• Spain
      • View Profile
      • "El acontecimiento" Mystery Spanish eBook
    « Reply #51 on: March 15, 2011, 02:33:37 pm »
    In my opinion, 99cents price is a bad move: Every time I see that price I think there is some kind of desesperation behind it. But I believe that 99c prices will be a tendency in Amazon: well see more and more 99c priced books. Maybe we should give them an opportunity, I dont know. I always believed on reasonable prices, not ultra cheap bargain prices.

As Robert Heinlein would say, "There aint no such thing as a free lunch."  ;D

Offline Joseph Robert Lewis

• USA
      • View Profile
      • Official site of author Joseph Robert Lewis
    « Reply #52 on: March 15, 2011, 05:04:50 pm »
    In my opinion, 99cents price is a bad move: Every time I see that price I think there is some kind of desesperation behind it. But I believe that 99c prices will be a tendency in Amazon: well see more and more 99c priced books. Maybe we should give them an opportunity, I dont know. I always believed on reasonable prices, not ultra cheap bargain prices.

As Robert Heinlein would say, "There aint no such thing as a free lunch."  ;D

People seem to think $0.99 music and TV shows are reasonably priced. Why not books?

Offline Sandra Edwards

• Lake Tahoe, NV
      • View Profile
      • Sandra Edwards, Author
    « Reply #53 on: March 15, 2011, 05:29:04 pm »
    There's an old saying...You can't judge a book by it's cover. The same should hold true for the price.

That said, I never, ever buy ANY book without sampling first.

Sandy

Offline 2leelou

• View Profile
    « Reply #54 on: March 15, 2011, 10:28:17 pm »
    I figure what the heck, if it's only $.99 and I don't like it I'm only out $.99. I have paid full price for a regular book (before Kindle) and didn't like the story so I was out the full price.  I have a few $.99 books (Franz Kafka, etc) that I know the story so I'll give it a shot and see what quality they are.  I haven't read them yet so we'll see.

Offline Rex Jameson

• Speculative fiction dork
      • View Profile
      • Speculative Musings
    « Reply #55 on: March 15, 2011, 11:03:42 pm »
    Time is a big factor for me due to graduate school and working multiple jobs. The redeeming part of a 99 cent book is that you don't compound a loss of time with price. Still, a 1.99 or 2.99 book is just as tempting to me as a 99 cent book.

Offline brianrowe

• Reno, NV
      • View Profile
      • Brian Rowe's Blog
    « Reply #56 on: March 15, 2011, 11:36:40 pm »
    This has been a real head-scratcher for me, as I just debuted my first novel SLATE on the Kindle yesterday. I've gone back and forth on prices, and I ultimately decided on $2.99. I think $2.99 is a fair price for an 82,000-word novel, as opposed to say a novella or something, which should go for 99 cents. But what if 12 people buy it for $2.99, and 1,000 people buy it for 99 cents? That's the main question.
    « Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 11:38:15 pm by brianrowe »

Offline Renee Adams

• New Jersey
    • Me, as drawn by me.
      • View Profile
      • Quirky Dreams
    « Reply #57 on: March 16, 2011, 07:11:50 am »
    My reaction is usually the following:

1. Summary check.
    2. Typo check.
    3. If it looks interesting, and no typos, purchase.

;D

Offline Adler_James

• Seattle
      • View Profile
      • Adler James
    « Reply #58 on: March 16, 2011, 07:54:14 am »
    I look for the blurb and see what the book's about.  For the price, who knows... it's tricky because I've read books that need a lot of work and it seemed maybe the author thought "I'm selling it for a buck, who cares?" - and if that's true, it scares me a little.

Offline patrickt

• Oaxaca, Mexico
      • View Profile
    « Reply #59 on: March 16, 2011, 07:58:49 am »
    An acquaintance told me his digital camera was better than mine because it cost $5,000. I said, "I'll sell you mine for $10,000 and then you'll have a camera twice as good as the one you have now." People who equate price with quality are fools. A friend said her Rolex impressed people and I suggested she should start meeting a better class of person.

So, when I see a $.99 book I think, "Wow, less than $1. It is probably a new author." I don't even have to look to know it isn't Lee Childs or Lawrence Block. Then, I'll read the description, see if the author has written other titles, and  if it's the genre I like and meets other criteria I'll probably order it.

I rarely do the samples for entertaining reading.

Offline GoHats

• View Profile
    « Reply #60 on: March 16, 2011, 10:52:43 am »
    a 99 cent book would be of high interest to me but would at the same time increase concern about low quality.

so basically coming from an unknown book which I'm on the fence when I look at it - slight negative
    but for something that looks attractive, say because of recognition or a high quality page - moderate positive

:)

Offline Paul Levine

• Miami, FL, USA
    • Author of the Jake Lassiter Series
      • View Profile
      • Paul Levine's Author Website
    « Reply #61 on: March 16, 2011, 01:45:13 pm »
    If it's that cheap, it's probably no good.

Maybe that's unenlightened...but I'm also wary of cheap raspberries at the market, figuring they'll spoil within 24 hours.

Paul Levine

"Mystery writing at its very, very best." Larry King, USA TODAY

Offline Starry Eve

• West Coast, USA
      • View Profile
      • Psychology of Writing (and the Creative Arts)
    « Reply #62 on: March 16, 2011, 03:11:08 pm »
    So the general consensus is that 99 cents is fair if the author is new and/or the pages are less than a certain number?  Yes, 99 cents is a cheap price, but I'd still prefer to give authors the benefit of the doubt regarding the quality of their work until I've sampled their material.  Are there any accurate stats on the percentage of quality 99 cents books being released vs the 'crappy' ones?  If reading taste is subjective, it may not be possible to measure aside from just dismissing works based on poor grammar and editing?

Offline Neil Clarke

• NJ
      • View Profile
      • Clarkesworld Magazine
    « Reply #63 on: March 16, 2011, 04:15:22 pm »
    I find this quality perception thing interesting, but isn't matching up with my recent experience. I've been experimenting with a 99 cent price on the current issue of my magazine and in just a few days it has far outsold the monthly total of any other issue we've published at $2.99. I suppose it could be that our reputation is eliminating the quality concern among the new buyers, but I have no real way of knowing.

I guess what I'm after here (to the people who think 99 cent = low quality), does anything cause you to second-guess that perception?
    Neil Clarke
    Editor/Publisher
    Clarkesworld Magazine
    Science Fiction & Fantasy
    Now available for subscription on the Kindle

Offline pixichick

• View Profile
      • Cheryl Bradshaw Official Site
    « Reply #64 on: March 16, 2011, 04:31:06 pm »
    I never concern myself with the price and always preview any book I read - I can tell, and you all probably can too when a book is fantastic or completely horrendous.  For me, within the first two pages I know if I want to keep reading or not.  :)
    Author Website: cherylbradshaw.com
    Blog: unearththeclues.blogspot.com (blog for writers)

Offline Joseph Robert Lewis

• USA
      • View Profile
      • Official site of author Joseph Robert Lewis
    « Reply #65 on: March 16, 2011, 04:59:15 pm »
    I understand the general concern that a cheap book is more likely to be a poor book, but the general experience among authors is that lowering the price will increases sales.

So at the very least, the lower price is attracting a large number of readers while the higher price is not. I think that means that folks concerned about cheap books being poor are in the minority.

Offline Eric C

• View Profile
    « Reply #66 on: March 16, 2011, 05:13:33 pm »
    I'd be surprised if anyone argued with the statement: "There is no difference in quality between 99 cent books and $2.99 books or any books priced in that range." Until that changes, pricing simply reflects a different philosophy or approach to selling.

Me, I sell one book at 99 cents and the other at $2.99. I tried pricing everything at $2.99 but given I'm virtually unknown and advertise or market very little my books tank when they are all $2.99. I need the "gateway drug" to attract customers.

My 99 cent book sells itself, given the price and lots of favorable reader reviews, and yet it hasn't led to significant sales of the $2.99 book until very recently. I had to sell about 13,000 copies of my 99 cent book before the $2.99 book began to sell in any numbers. I think this is because there are a LOT of readers who buy 99 cent books and take months upon months to actually read them (if ever) before they come sniffing around to see what else I have available.
    « Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 05:16:06 pm by Eric C »

Offline miss_fletcher

• London, UK
    • PenelopeFletcher.co.uk
      • View Profile
      • Author Website
    « Reply #67 on: March 17, 2011, 06:18:33 am »
    Hmm. I buy books when randomly browsing in this order;

Cover
    Blurb
    Author Name
    Price
    Reviews
    Prior Knowledge of Title

So when I see a 99cent (70pence) book I think, cool, I get to buy more books now, lol. I don't automatically assume the content is going to be inferior because of the low price. But then I think most "hardcore" readers dismiss price entirely. I would be happy to pay 4.99 for an eBook (Indie too) if it was promoted to me correctly.

Penelope Fletcher | Website

Offline carl_h

• Medford, OR
      • View Profile
      • Photography by Carl
    « Reply #68 on: March 17, 2011, 08:45:08 am »
    If the genre of the book and info regarding the book sound like something I might read, I have no qualms buying a book at .99.   In fact, I've done that on several occasions and discovered delightful authors and, as a result, went on to purchase other books by that author.  L.J. Sellars comes to mind.  I bought her first book at 0.99 and have since purchased all of her books.  Scott Nicholson has also released 0.99 books leading me to purchase his other works.  Even Faye Kellerman had a book out at 0.99.  In my opinion, dismissing a book simply because it's priced low is a mistake.  On the other hand, buying it because it's only 99 cents could also be a mistake.  ;D
    Check out my bookshelves on Goodreads - where you can see what your friends are reading.
    https://www.goodreads.com/friend/i?i=LTM2MDI1NDg2NTE6MzYw  Feel free to "friend me"!

See some of my photos http://www.chhphotos.zenfolio.com

Offline Moissanitejewel

• Texas
    • Romantic Comedy-2.99
      • View Profile
      • Read It In 7 Days
    « Reply #69 on: March 17, 2011, 02:26:51 pm »
    If it's non-fiction I read a small sample, but I usually buy because it's something I want to know. Like how to raise Tarantula's. ::) There aren't many books on it, so I have to trust it. If not, at least it's 99 cents.

If it's fiction, I read the entire sample, then use a search engine to check it out on other sites to see how it's doing. If I can't find anything for it, I think for a little while and usually go for the next book on my list. There is always another five or six books on the list anyhow, right?

In the end, I usually buy something around $1.99 to $4.99 or so, but I give it a chance. Sometimes 99 cent authors are actually good and just looking to attract agents, so it's always worth a look first.

Offline Edward C. Patterson

• Allentown, PA
    • Author of 38 Published Books
      • View Profile
      • Dancaster Creative - Authors Page
    « Reply #70 on: March 17, 2011, 03:19:02 pm »
    The .99 cent price is affordable and I like it. It is a token to pay for my real investment in time with any author's work.

Edward C. Patterson
    AUTHOR of 38 Published Books

Offline jsmclean

• My favorite pooch!
      • View Profile
      • Not A Sandwich
    « Reply #71 on: March 17, 2011, 05:04:27 pm »
    If I have it, I buy it at .99, no hesitation.  If I read it and think something's amiss (happened once--the book was clearly a written-in-a-weekend guide to selling crafts that was probably a five pages pamphlet handed out for free at Michael's or something), I review it and say so.  Otherwise, I think the price is part of what appeals with e-books.  I am a huge used-book fanatic, and I never say no to a .99 paperback; with an e-book, I don't even lose shelf space.

Offline Tara Maya

• View Profile
      • Tara Maya's Tales
    « Reply #72 on: March 19, 2011, 01:18:04 pm »
    I won't buy a book solely because it's cheap. Why waste the space on my kindle? But if I am interested in a book, the $.99 cent price can make the difference between buying it immediately and putting it on my Wishlist.

Offline brianrowe

• Reno, NV
      • View Profile
      • Brian Rowe's Blog
    « Reply #73 on: March 19, 2011, 01:31:20 pm »
    --- edited... no self-promotion outside the Book Bazaar forum. please read our Forum Decorum thread.
    « Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 01:32:00 pm by Ann in Arlington »

Offline lpking

• The Wet Coast
      • View Profile
      • Azarimba
    « Reply #74 on: March 19, 2011, 03:10:08 pm »
    Four months ago, I would have avoided a 99 book for all the reasons stated above by other readers. Additionally, I value my time too much to weed through dozens of samples.

Since starting to pay a little more attention to the dynamics of ebook publishing, I've bought half a dozen 99 books from authors I've encountered elsewhere online, and appreciated or enjoyed in those other places. However, I've only read two of those.

I'm torn between guilt that I felt kindly enough toward an author to basically drop 35 in his/her tip jar (damned by faint praise) without having much intention (dishonesty!) to read the book, and satisfaction that I contributed my measly bump to his/her book's ranking on Amazon.
    I base my fashion taste on what doesn't itch. (Gilda Radner)
    www.azarimba.blogspot.com

KBoards.com

• Advertisement