Author Topic: Would you be more likely to read a book because it has a book video trailer?  (Read 1714 times)  

Offline pixichick

• View Profile
    • Cheryl Bradshaw Official Site
Hey everyone,

I am writing a post for my blog in the next day or two and thought I would include a poll - I wonder if a book video trailer makes any difference to you when you are purchasing a book online - does it influence you to buy the book, or not?  Thanks :)
Author Website: cherylbradshaw.com
Blog: unearththeclues.blogspot.com (blog for writers)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline sherylb

• Pacific Northwest
    • Member 47
      • View Profile
      • IndigoRuby Designs
    No influence what so ever. I intensely dislike book video trailers so avoid them always.

IndigoRuby Designs
    www.indigorubydesigns.com

Offline history_lover

• CO
      • View Profile
      • Historical Readings & Reviews
    No, I've always thought book trailers are really weird.

Offline hs

• SF Bay Area
      • View Profile
      • HS Writing
    Only if they make the book more compelling than the description already does. Unfortunately, most book trailers I've seen don't do that.

Offline carl_h

• Medford, OR
      • View Profile
      • Photography by Carl
    Nope.  A video trailer wouldn't have any influence as a reason to read the book.
    Check out my bookshelves on Goodreads - where you can see what your friends are reading.
    https://www.goodreads.com/friend/i?i=LTM2MDI1NDg2NTE6MzYw  Feel free to "friend me"!

See some of my photos http://www.chhphotos.zenfolio.com

Online Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    Not at all. I never look at book video trailers - I can't understand the point of them in relation to books. Movies? Yes, obviously. But books? It's a totally different medium - the whole idea makes no sense to me at all.  :o

Linda

Offline Mike D. aka jmiked

• Terra firma
      • View Profile
    I wonder if a book video trailer makes any difference to you when you are purchasing a book online - does it influence you to buy the book, or not? 

Not.  ;D

Mike

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    Not at all. I don't think I have ever seen one to begin with. I don't come across them the way I look for books to read. Which is probably a good thing. I don't want review sites cluttered with youtube videos.

I guess I just don't get the point. But that's me. I didn't even know such things existed until I read authors here on KB talk about it.

Offline BuddyGott

• Wilmington, DE USA
      • View Profile
      • Buddy Gott
    Nope. I've seen some good ones, but none yet that have made me rush to buy the book. For me, it's still sort of weird to see "commercials" for books. Maybe that will change for me in time, but I'm not there yet.

Offline Jon Olson

• View Profile
      • Jon Olson's website
    Yeah, I think they're weird. Words are the medium, so words should be enough. For movies, images are the medium, so video ads make sense.

as editor

Offline NogDog

• View Profile
    Since I have never watched a video trailer for a book and don't feel any need/desire to do so, I guess my answer is no. :)

Offline Alle Meine Entchen

• Huntington, WV
      • View Profile
    I have yet to see a book video trailer that did anything to make me want to run out and buy the book.  I have seen tons of them that made me feel bad for the author (I have seen some where the author looks so uncomfortable about the idea of being on camera that I couldn't help but feel sorry for them)

Offline MariaESchneider

• Austin, Texas
    • Urban Fantasy, Fantasy, Humorous Mysteries
      • View Profile
      • Bear Mountain Books
    I avoid them.  No interest in watching them whatsoever.

Offline Ben White

• Nelson, New Zealand
      • View Profile
      • Clover Island Publishing
    No.  But then I've never seen a book trailer that was anything approaching good.
    There are some who call me Iseult the Sheep, Honorary Knight of the Beige Bar.

Offline Carol (was Dara)

• View Profile
    What Carl said. I look at book trailers as a fun thing for the author and maybe some readers who are already fans but I don't believe they have any influence on people who aren't already interested in the book.

Offline miss_fletcher

• London, UK
    • PenelopeFletcher.co.uk
      • View Profile
      • Author Website
    Oooh. Seems like the book trailer is not popular with this crowd, lol. I think they are good fun. To be completely honest I can't say if I have ever watched a book trailer then gone and bought a book ... more like I have bought and read the book then watched the trailer when I went to find out more about the book and the author. I like them, and have a trailer for my own book (and with over 1400 views within two months not a total waste of time!)

Penelope Fletcher | Website

Offline pixichick

• View Profile
      • Cheryl Bradshaw Official Site
    You guys are great - this is really helpful!  Thanks so much for all your comments and your honesty.  My fellow authors will appreciate it :)
    Author Website: cherylbradshaw.com
    Blog: unearththeclues.blogspot.com (blog for writers)

Offline Julia March

• I read a lot. I write some.
      • View Profile
      • Julia March
    They are mostly not that good. I saw a funny one by Gary Shteyngart, which did actually pique my interest in his book.

Julia

Offline GayleC

• Placentia, CA
      • View Profile
      • Gayle's Place
    In theory, I like trailers because they're one more medium to reach readers. (As a struggling-to-be-read author, I throw as much out there on as many sources as possible.) In reality, I've seen very few trailers I like. Most look like PowerPoint slide shows, where you basically lay the jacket blurb on top of photos and each slide is up for a long time and I'm easily bored. They also tend to be too long. One minute is good, ninety seconds AT THE MOST. After that, it's not a trailer, it's an infomercial.

One of the best ones I've seen is this one - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mfi47O6rohc&feature=related  I know what this book is about and I know why I'd want to buy it.

I did one for my mystery novel, but it's just plain goofy and I don't know who would buy the book based on it. I really just did it because I thought it would be funny and I would throw myself under a bus for a laugh. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDor_kH353E (Note: NO self-promotion intended. I'm just giving you examples.)

Offline Moissanitejewel

• Texas
    • Romantic Comedy-2.99
      • View Profile
      • Read It In 7 Days
    I have only wanted to buy one book because of a trailer. The problem is they aren't really where books are, and if they are, they are out of the way. The one I did buy, I couldn't help but I wasn't looking for it, just ran into in youtube. It seemed interesting. I don't like the one's with only the cover and lots of dialogue, but at least they are getting their names out there.

Some of the funnest one's I've seen aren't professional at all and my friends simply made them for fun. One even shared one of their so-so reviews on it, and labeled it with a curse word instead of anonymous. I laughed my butt off. Really, they are probably more for authors but that might change as technology comes around to match wits. But then, would people be disappointed with the lack of graphics and excitement in the book?

It's an iffy field, too new (some people still don't understand what a book trailer is) and nothing is really certain. I make my own more for fun, but I wouldn't shell out hundreds of bucks for a fancy trailer.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Super Moderators-5
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    I see no need for "BOOK" trailers. . . .I don't want to 'watch' a book, I want to read it.

And I don't want the video to influence my impression of the characters. 

So I never watch them. . .have no idea if they're good or bad.  For me, they're so far off the radar as to be non-existent. :)
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline RVS78

• Swallowed by another Earth
      • View Profile
      • www.zerotorockstar.com
    I vote "No." I've seen some horrible ones that actually had the opposite effect - makes you want to just run as fast as you can from it.
    To me, a poorly produced trailer released for public consumption just makes me wonder about the quality of the actual book.

I think it works better for those who already have an existing, loyal fan-base. It gives an additional eye-candy bonus for the fans.

So unless you can blow my mind away, it's probably just counterproductive.

Offline easyreader

• View Profile
    Nope.  It's a different mode of information.  I think most are simply a waste of time and money.  As a reader, I have never watched one.

Offline Marc Coburn

• View Profile
    No, absolutely not. I have not seen one good video trailer so far and even if I found one, it would do little to convince me of buying the book. A short sample or a good summary would have a lot more effect.

Offline Will Write for Gruel

• View Profile
    I watched one or two out of curiosity, but never again. I have no interest in them.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement