Author Topic: What has brought you the most *Joy* in life?  (Read 4136 times)  

Offline Carol (was Dara)

• View Profile
Re: What has brought you the most *Joy* in life?
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2011, 04:02:16 pm »
Naturally my kids have brought me a lot of joy but I think my marriage has brought me more happiness than anything. I'm married to my best friend and all of life's good parts are better when shared. :)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline MichelleR

• MN
      • View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: March 18, 2011, 06:14:50 pm »
    I think the most joyful thing I can think of at the moment is seeing my now deceased Golden Retriever in the prime of his life running across our pasture to me, ears flapping, tongue out, and just grinning.

You gave me chills. I said to my husband a couple weeks ago that if there was one moment I would live in forever, it would be one of the days at the park we had with our now deceased, and much missed, first Sheltie. I'd hide behind a tree or down a hill and see Riley search for me, and then I'd call his name and he'd tear out to find me. Followed by a game of Frisbee.
    Michelle
    Well we all shine on
    Like the moon and the stars and the sun

Offline Thumper

• Dixon, CA
    • Will work for cookies
      • View Profile
      • Thumper Thinks Out Loud
    « Reply #27 on: March 18, 2011, 06:15:02 pm »
    Te things that bring me the most joy are also the things that drive me the most nuts... the Spouse Thingy, the Boy, the cats, the Internet...

Offline ◄ Jess ►

• near Chicago
      • View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: March 18, 2011, 08:35:39 pm »
    I think it'd have to be the night sky. Sure, I love my family and my boyfriend, my pets, my friends, etc., but laying out underneath the stars is a purer joy, much less complicated. I miss sleeping outside every night during the summer. Hopefully I can do it again someday.

Offline Dawn McCullough White

• New York
    • ~Year of the Rooster baby~
      • View Profile
      • Dawn McCullough White
    « Reply #29 on: March 18, 2011, 10:25:17 pm »
    The adoption of my son, and since then every day he's been part of my life.  I've never loved anyone more.  Next would be my wedding day.  Other things that bring joy to my life are writing, watching plants I've planted grow, and being near the lake or ocean (any great body of water), and discovering a great new song that I love.

Dawn
    ~Sometimes the anti-hero is the only hero you can find~          

Offline Cristian YoungMiller

• Los Angeles
    • Books that help people to see life differently
      • View Profile
      • www.CristianYoungMiller.com
    « Reply #30 on: March 27, 2011, 02:27:40 am »
    My best memory.  I never married, but there has only been "just one" for me.  He wasn't even in my life that long.  At the time he was an auto mechanic.  We were in the auto tools department in in a Sears store.  He was looking at tools.  I looked around.  I whispered something in his ear.  He looked at me.  He kissed me.  My best memory.
    That's pretty awesome!

• Los Angeles
      • View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: March 27, 2011, 02:30:02 am »
    I think the most joyful thing I can think of at the moment is seeing my now deceased Golden Retriever in the prime of his life running across our pasture to me, ears flapping, tongue out, and just grinning.
    That image touches me.

• Los Angeles
      • View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: March 27, 2011, 02:35:05 am »
    You gave me chills. I said to my husband a couple weeks ago that if there was one moment I would live in forever, it would be one of the days at the park we had with our now deceased, and much missed, first Sheltie. I'd hide behind a tree or down a hill and see Riley search for me, and then I'd call his name and he'd tear out to find me. Followed by a game of Frisbee.
    I remember when I was about 8 I would go out into the yard and play with my dog Teddy. First I would chase him around and then he would bark and chase me around. It was such an innocent good time. He so represents my childhood that he made a cameo in one of my books. When I think of the best period of my life, Teddy is in it.

oliewankanobe

« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2011, 02:44:09 am »
    My man unit... best breathing creature ever.
    My friends.  I have really amazing friends.  Most I've known for a looong time, and they are family of choice and always make me laugh.
    My friends' and my brothers' kids.  I have none of my own, and they are a delight.
    Maxwell... best friend, super-pug, coolest dog ever.  The rest of our critters... too many to list.
    My house.  I love my house and the land around us.
    My home town.
    My lake-house in Maine and the people around Oakland, Belgrade, and Waterville we call friends.
    Writing.
    Reading.
    My Kindle... the way my crazy Irish mum calls it "the Kimble."
    Being alive.  I live with a terminal disease but live well, and plan to live for a WHILE... and I beat cancer three times.  So I mean it when I say I appreciate every day I get.

• Los Angeles
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: March 27, 2011, 02:48:03 am »
    My man unit... best breathing creature ever.
    My friends.  I have really amazing friends.  Most I've known for a looong time, and they are family of choice and always make me laugh.
    My friends' and my brothers' kids.  I have none of my own, and they are a delight.
    Maxwell... best friend, super-pug, coolest dog ever.  The rest of our critters... too many to list.
    My house.  I love my house and the land around us.
    My home town.
    My lake-house in Maine and the people around Oakland, Belgrade, and Waterville we call friends.
    Writing.
    Reading.
    My Kindle... the way my crazy Irish mum calls it "the Kimble."
    Being alive.  I live with a terminal disease but live well, and plan to live for a WHILE... and I beat cancer three times.  So I mean it when I say I appreciate every day I get.
    You seem to have a lot of joy in your life. That's really good.  :)

oliewankanobe

« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2011, 02:56:38 am »
    Actually, I beat it four times but I forget the last one alot.  Mental block.  LMAO

Offline Ben White

• Nelson, New Zealand
      • View Profile
      • Clover Island Publishing
    « Reply #36 on: March 27, 2011, 03:44:29 am »
    Family.  Family is the most important thing in life.  Everything else is secondary.

But going to those secondary things, I think it would have to be the moment I realised what the story was for Miya Black--what HER story was, the story of the series, the story that would take nine books to properly tell.  I got the tickle of an idea in the shower, and for about an hour afterwards I was just pacing around the house, picking up biscuits and putting them down, making cups of tea that just went cold, then I scurried to my office (couch) and sat down and wrote a page of notes, and a line of dialogue, and then from that line of dialogue I reverse-engineered a scene, and then I wrote another page of notes, and then I got up and paced a bit more, and then my wife got sick of my writer-y antics and asked me what I was so worked up about and I told her my plan, and she said "No, you'll never do it" and I said yes I will, that's exactly what I'm going to do, and this is why it'll work, and I said three sentences to her and her mind was changed, and I scurried back to my office (couch) and wrote those three sentences down, and then I wrote a dozen more pages of notes, and then I read them back, and then I just sat there because it was the first time in my life that I'd ever truly created a moment--you know what I'm talking about, when you're watching something or reading something and everything just comes together and it makes you tingle just to be a part of it, and I realised then the tingle you felt when experiencing that kind of moment is so very weak compared to the tingle you feel when you're the one creating that moment, out of nothing--out of your experiences and all you've read and watched and played and yet still, out of nothing ...

It was the first time I truly realised my own potential as a writer, the first time I ever felt worthy of truly calling myself a writer.  I felt like I'd unlocked something within myself, that all my years of writing and writing and writing had finally resulted in a hard-earned level up, and since that point in time things have just kept getting better.

Family is always the most important thing.  But writing is a close second.
    There are some who call me Iseult the Sheep, Honorary Knight of the Beige Bar.

Offline cc84

• UK
    • My fab Noah ♥
      • View Profile
    « Reply #37 on: March 27, 2011, 08:00:55 am »
    My 2 nephews bring me lots of joy. For some reason i always wanted to be an aunty so i love them lots.

Also, the dog in my avatar, Cary, we had 14 great years together. Infact, the best moments of my life have all our dogs in it. Daley was there since i was born to age 11, then Zak, Cary and now Jerry and Noah. So yes, the dogs we've had have brought so much joy and continue to do so  :)

And my parents, they do a lot for me and my brother and sister and my dad has a crazy humour, i appreciate and love them a lot.  :)
    What will I be doing in twenty years' time? I'll be dead, darling! Are you crazy? - When I'm dead, I want to be remembered as a musician of some worth and substance. - The reason we're successful, darling? My overall charisma, of course. - The others don't like my interviews. And frankly, I don't care much for theirs. - Money may not buy happiness, but it can damn well give it! - I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me. - I dress to kill, but tastefully - I won't be a rock star. I will be a legend.

Quotes by the amazing Freddie Mercury ♥

Offline hsuthard

• Honolulu, HI
      • View Profile
      • Suthard, Party of Five
    « Reply #38 on: March 27, 2011, 08:13:43 am »
    Any pilot will tell you it was their First Solo Flight.......I was 14 !!

Not any pilot, that didn't even cross my mind! I was 28.

The kids overshadow everything else by so much it's hard to think past them. But there were some amazing moments on our last vacation that brought tears to my eyes because I was so overflowing with happiness. We did a safari tour of South Africa, and being alone in such a beautiful wild country with my entire family all experiencing the awe of nature, well, that's just something to be appreciated for a lifetime.

But last night I stayed up until my cousin was able to finally hold his third daughter in his arms after a long labor and c-section birth. Even experiencing it through Facebook, there's nothing that compares to giving birth to a child.
    -- Holly.

The more we live, the more beautiful we are.

Offline *DrDLN* (dr.s.dhillon)

• Mtn House, CA
    • Self-help and Spiritual Living
      • View Profile
      • "HEALTH and LOVE is your birth-right" Series
    « Reply #39 on: March 27, 2011, 09:05:30 am »
    The advanced age accompanied by good health.

Offline NapCat (retired)

• Lighthouse Ranch, Nevada
      • View Profile
    « Reply #40 on: March 27, 2011, 09:06:40 am »
    "...Not any pilot..."

Ha ! You got me....any childless pilot ??
    'da NapCat

Thousands of years ago, cats were worshiped as gods...They have never forgotten this !!

• Los Angeles
      • View Profile
    « Reply #41 on: April 04, 2011, 12:18:57 am »
    Any other great stories of joy? I need a little more joy in my life.

Offline coffeetx

• Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #42 on: April 05, 2011, 07:52:27 am »
    For me it is definitely my faith.  I feel like it really gives me joy in the middle of rough times.  Even though in the last few months my mom died, work contract ended b/c of budget cuts, house flooded and even got rear ended at a stoplight on Saturday!! I really cling to my faith because it gives me peace in troubled times.  I didn't used to have any kind of peace and would suffer from horrible panic attacks.  So it's a big switch for me!

Also, my kids who can give equal parts joy and pain but mostly JOY!!

And I have to say my new boxer that was a stray dog.  I have never had a boxer and have always been more of a cat person but this dog is AMAZING.  What a sweetie pie.  She thinks she's a lapdog.  She is so incredible.  Anyone who needs joy adopt a boxer!

Offline SongbirdVB

• Crystal, Minnesota
      • View Profile
      • Songbird's Nest
    « Reply #43 on: April 05, 2011, 08:37:57 am »
    I think it would have to be the moment I realised what the story was for Miya Black--what HER story was, the story of the series, the story that would take nine books to properly tell.  I got the tickle of an idea in the shower, and for about an hour afterwards I was just pacing around the house, picking up biscuits and putting them down, making cups of tea that just went cold, then I scurried to my office (couch) and sat down and wrote a page of notes, and a line of dialogue, and then from that line of dialogue I reverse-engineered a scene, and then I wrote another page of notes, and then I got up and paced a bit more, and then my wife got sick of my writer-y antics and asked me what I was so worked up about and I told her my plan, and she said "No, you'll never do it" and I said yes I will, that's exactly what I'm going to do, and this is why it'll work, and I said three sentences to her and her mind was changed, and I scurried back to my office (couch) and wrote those three sentences down, and then I wrote a dozen more pages of notes, and then I read them back, and then I just sat there because it was the first time in my life that I'd ever truly created a moment--you know what I'm talking about, when you're watching something or reading something and everything just comes together and it makes you tingle just to be a part of it, and I realised then the tingle you felt when experiencing that kind of moment is so very weak compared to the tingle you feel when you're the one creating that moment, out of nothing--out of your experiences and all you've read and watched and played and yet still, out of nothing ...

It was the first time I truly realised my own potential as a writer, the first time I ever felt worthy of truly calling myself a writer.  I felt like I'd unlocked something within myself, that all my years of writing and writing and writing had finally resulted in a hard-earned level up, and since that point in time things have just kept getting better.

This made me go check out your books.  I've purchased the first in the series and am looking forward to meeting Miya.  ;D
    Those that cannot forgive others break the bridge over which they must pass themselves; for every person has need of being forgiven.

Offline kindleworm

• View Profile
    « Reply #44 on: April 05, 2011, 08:46:53 am »
    @ coffeetx    I enjoyed hearing that your faith brings you joy during troublesome times.  One of my favorite Bible verses is Psalms 30:5  Weeping may endur for the night, but joy comes in the morning.
    I also have a dog who brings me alot of joy.  My husky Cody is a great dog to have around.
    Have a joyful day everyone!

Offline JennaAnderson

• Near Minneapolis, MN
      • View Profile
      • Jenna Scribbles
    « Reply #45 on: April 05, 2011, 08:49:55 am »
    Being a mom and working at various nonprofits.

~ Jenna

About Me - With Pictures - http://www.jennascribbles.com/about-me/

Offline carl_h

• Medford, OR
      • View Profile
      • Photography by Carl
    « Reply #46 on: April 05, 2011, 08:54:35 am »
    There have been many things that have brought both immediate and longer terms of joy into my life, butthey pale in comparison to the peace and joy that I feel whenever I'm in the presence of God.   
    Check out my bookshelves on Goodreads - where you can see what your friends are reading.
    https://www.goodreads.com/friend/i?i=LTM2MDI1NDg2NTE6MzYw  Feel free to "friend me"!

See some of my photos http://www.chhphotos.zenfolio.com

Offline AnnetteL

• USA
    • USA Today Bestselling Author
      • View Profile
      • Official Website
    « Reply #47 on: April 05, 2011, 10:42:20 am »
    Maybe I'm odd, but the births of my children weren't the biggest moment of joy for me. They were awesome, sure, but I think I was too worn out to fully feel the joy at the moment.

But since then? Oh, yeah. My kids are my greatest joy. Sometimes one of their accomplishments or a note or a hug is enough to keep my going (and make me cry like a baby).

Other big joys for me:
    -A few years ago, going "home" for a visit to Finland, where I lived for 3 years as a preteen. Those years were life-changing for me, and a visit back was huge.
    -My faith. I can say pretty confidently that pretty much my entire life is what it is because of that.
    -My work. (I bawled my eyes out when I got "the call" from an editor the first time.)

• Los Angeles
      • View Profile
    « Reply #48 on: April 11, 2011, 12:28:32 pm »
    I'm not in a relationship and I don't have kids. But do you know what is beginning to bring me a lot of joy? Publishing books. And I don't think it's for the reason that you might expect.

I am person that needs to constantly be accomplishing something and moving myself forward in one way or another. I need to know that I'm getting better at something whether it's racquetball, relationships or juggling.

Being on this board has taught me a lot about what makes a successful book. And I am learning a lot. So I am able to incorporate more and more with every book I release and it's really starting to make me feel good.

I would like to think that what is bringing me joy is the fact that the books are good, but no. My older books are great books as well. But I think that the difference is that I feel like I'm moving forward on a path. And that is what I think is bringing me joy.

Offline Debra Purdy Kong

• Canada
    • BC Mystery Author
      • View Profile
    « Reply #49 on: April 11, 2011, 12:54:26 pm »
    Aside from my family, I think the most joy is my writing. The bliss and peace that comes from the act of writing itself has given me so much happiness that I'd keep writing if I never sold another book or short story again. And I totally understand people who write just for themselves, but who have no intention of ever publishing their work.

Debra

KBoards.com

• Advertisement