Author Topic: THE VAULT now available on Kindle  (Read 50730 times)  

Offline back2nature

• So. Calif.
    • View Profile
Good looking cover. That should get attention on the display.
Laurie
K2/Noreve, Sandy Vintage

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline boydm

• Seattle
      • View Profile
      • Boyd Morrison author site
    I just got the news that The Ark will be published in Poland and Brazil! That brings the total to 14 languages in 15 world markets serving 100 countries and territories. If you had told me at the beginning of the year that this is where I'd be in October, I'd have asked to share whatever you were smoking. ;)

Congratulations, Boyd!  This is all so exciting to watch.

But how many people will be confused by the following statements on the Amazon page for The Ark:
    "This title has not yet been released." 
    "4.6 out of 5 stars (44 customer reviews) "

Not knowing the history behind this, people may question the authenticity of the reviews.  Amazon may need to change the way this information is presented in this new world of moving from an e-book to a traditional publisher. 

Lynninva, I'm sure there will be some people who wonder why I have so many reviews already on Amazon, but I think we will be adding the publishing story to the Amazon web page, so hopefully readers will understand what happened. If anything, maybe it will make buyers intrigued.

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    Boyd, that's fantastic!  And I love the cover.

Woohoo!

Betsy
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    I just got the news that The Ark will be published in Poland and Brazil! That brings the total to 14 languages in 15 world markets serving 100 countries and territories. If you had told me at the beginning of the year that this is where I'd be in October, I'd have asked to share whatever you were smoking. ;)

Good news upon good news.  You must be reeling.  How many times a day do you pinch yourself to see if this is real or a dream?   ;D

Offline geoffthomas

• Derwood, Maryland
    • Member 2434
      • View Profile
    Now that I have finished Adamas and am reading Palmyra (read Ark a while back), I must say that I have even more praise for your work than before.
    Please be encouraged and keep writing new works.

Just sayin......

Miss you, Dona, Jeff & Harvey! | Member since 02/27/2009 | e-books by Lynn Abbey, CJ Cherryh, & Jane Fancher
    TANSTAAFL (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch)

Offline louiseb

• DFW
      • View Profile
    I am just now finsihing The Ark (downloaded way back when) and I really have enjoyed it, I can see why it was snapped up! I'm looking forward to reading the other two which thankfully I already have.  :)

Offline rho

• ny
    • aka rho1640 on Word with Friends member 1975
      • View Profile
    Now that I have finished Adamas and am reading Palmyra (read Ark a while back), I must say that I have even more praise for your work than before.
    Please be encouraged and keep writing new works.

Just sayin......

oh you are going to love Palmyra - I found myself reading it faster and faster as I was really drawn into the book - luckily I read it when hubster was away - I think I might have been husband deaf while reading that one I was so into it     "whaaat - you want dinner - order take out I HAVE to finish this book"  ;)
    rho

I've gotten over $125 in Amazon Gift Cards using this as my search engine

Offline louiseb

• DFW
      • View Profile
    LOL!!!  That's how I've been with The Ark, but luckily I live alone (if you don't count 7 dogs and a parrot)

Offline geoffthomas

• Derwood, Maryland
    • Member 2434
      • View Profile
    Well I have finished the Palmyra Impact.
    And I must say that it was a wild ride.

The Ark may be the "best book" of yours.
    And Adamas was cool - especially the science.
    But Palmyra was exciting.  A catastrophe but based upon real science and with us tied to humans in the way.

And I only just finished the book a couple of days ago.
    And today I read this from the NASA Near Earth Object Program page:

Asteroid Impactor Reported over Indonesia
    Don Yeomans, Paul Chodas, Steve Chesley
    NASA/JPL Near-Earth Object Program Office
    October 23, 2009

On October 8, 2009 about 03:00 Greenwich time, an atmospheric fireball blast was observed and recorded over an island region of Indonesia. The blast is thought to be due to the atmospheric entry of a small asteroid about 10 meters in diameter that, due to atmospheric pressure, detonated in the atmosphere with an energy of about 50 kilotons (the equivalent of 100,000 pounds of TNT explosives).

The blast was recorded visually and reported upon by local media representatives. See the YouTube video at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeQBzTkJNhs&videos=jkRJgbXY-90

A report from Elizabeth Silber and Peter Brown at the University of Western Ontario indicates that several international very-long wavelength infrasound detectors recorded the blast and fixed the position near the coastal city of Bone in South Sulawesi, island of Sulewesi. They note that the blast was in the 10 to 50 kT range with the higher end of this range being more likely.

Assuming an estimated size of about 5-10 meters in diameter, we would expect a fireball event of this magnitude about once every 2 to 12 years on average. As a rule, the most common types of stony asteroids would not be expected to cause ground damage unless their diameters were about 25 meters in diameter or larger.

There are more details at the NASA site and google the event for some media sensationalism.
    But this has been largely ignored.

50 kilotons folks!
    The force of 3 hydrogen bombs.

Just happened - well October 8th.

Oh yeah and by the way - check out what date NASA hit the moon with their rocket - you guessed it.

Just sayin.......

Miss you, Dona, Jeff & Harvey! | Member since 02/27/2009 | e-books by Lynn Abbey, CJ Cherryh, & Jane Fancher
    TANSTAAFL (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch)

Offline rho

• ny
    • aka rho1640 on Word with Friends member 1975
      • View Profile
    When I read that from NASA late last night my first thought was "The Palmyra Impact"  too
    rho

I've gotten over $125 in Amazon Gift Cards using this as my search engine

Offline boydm

• Seattle
      • View Profile
    After I finished writing The Palmyra Impact, I began noticing asteroid impact stories all the time. I think impacts happen much more than we realize.

In news about The Ark, Simon and Schuster is moving the US release to June 2010. I think that's great news because it gives booksellers and reviewers more time to read the advance reader copies to build up some anticipation. We also got a publishing deal in Turkey, appropriate since part of the book takes place there.

I just received my British cover, and it looks really cool, so I thought I'd share it.

Offline louiseb

• DFW
      • View Profile
    Looks very cool, I'm glad I didn't have to wait to read it! :)

Offline 911jason

• Simi Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • Kindle Screensavers
    That's a very nice cover as well, Boyd... gives a totally different feel than the US cover though.

Offline ginaf20697

• View Profile
    The Brits always have cooler cover art for some strange reason.

Offline 911jason

• Simi Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • Kindle Screensavers
    The Brits always have cooler cover art for some strange reason.

I don't know about that... I think I like the US cover better.

Offline jpmorgan49

• Joliet, IL
      • View Profile
    Great covers Boyd!!
    jp

Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/jpmorgan49/
    Kindle Touch July 2012
    I'm really one of a Kind...le!

Offline Richard in W.Orange

• Suburban NJ outside NYC
    • at Westminster Arts, Bloomfield NJ, May 15-23
      • View Profile
      • When I'm not reading -- The Musical's the Thing
    Boyd

GREAT Books.

I read the first on the suggestion of my sister over a day or two but when I realized there were two more she'd sent me, they both got read in single sittings (much to the detriment of getting my chores done). Captured me and carried me from beginning to end.

THANK YOU
    Richard

Offline matte633

• Atlanta, GA
      • View Profile
      • Matthew Eldridge
    Man!  I so badly wanted this book for $1.99 from Kindle...but it's not there anymore :(   You are an inspiration to all indie authors!!!! :)
    Matthew Eldridge books now available on Kindle!

Offline boydm

• Seattle
      • View Profile
    Thanks, guys!

I now have a firm release date for THE ARK. It will come out in Kindle, hardcover, and audio on May 11, just in time for the Father's Day and summer book seasons.

Some of you have asked about a book tour, and I'm happy to report that Simon and Schuster is sending me on one in May! I know that's unusual in this economic and book-publishing climate, so it shows a strong level of publisher commitment to the book, which I greatly appreciate. The tour cities are Seattle (where I live; we're going to have a big launch event here, which should be a blast), Los Angeles, Denver, Phoenix, Houston, and Portland, Oregon. I hope some of you will come and join the fun!

If you're flying on American Airlines in January, check out the seatback American Way magazine. I'll be appearing in a story on independent publishing. You'll also be able to read it online at http://www.americanwaymag.com/.

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    So many great things happening, Boyd.  It's so exciting.  I don't know how you manage to get through the day without pinching yourself. 

Offline boydm

• Seattle
      • View Profile
    So many great things happening, Boyd.  It's so exciting.  I don't know how you manage to get through the day without pinching yourself. 

Believe me, I know I'm living the dream!

In fact, I just found out that I was mentioned in an op-ed piece in the book section of the Huffington Post. In an article by the president of Sony's digital reading business titled "The Death of Print Doesn't Have to Mean the Death of Publishing", he writes about me in the same sentence as Dan Brown! How cool is that!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/steve-haber/the-death-of-print-doesnt_b_394476.html

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    The tour cities are Seattle (where I live; we're going to have a big launch event here, which should be a blast), Los Angeles, Denver, Phoenix, Houston, and Portland, Oregon. I hope some of you will come and join the fun!

:( Well. . . .it's mostly set in the west; I guess that's why they're only doing it out there. . .but us East Coasters liked the book too!  I'd totally come see you in either DC or Baltimore. . . .I have a friend in Port Orchard. . . .perhaps I'll send them to come get an autograph for me.  Or, hey!  Maybe May would be a good time to go visit them.  Be sure to let Harvey know so he can come and then do a KindleBoards Blog post!!!!
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Dave Dykema

• Ohio
      • View Profile
    In an article about Simon and Shuster holding back ebooks, it said: "Ms. Reidy, who described herself as a strong supporter of digital sales, said only one author had asked not to be included on the list of titles (being delayed), which are being published in the first four months of 2010."

Would that be you, Boyd?

Offline boydm

• Seattle
      • View Profile
    In an article about Simon and Shuster holding back ebooks, it said: "Ms. Reidy, who described herself as a strong supporter of digital sales, said only one author had asked not to be included on the list of titles (being delayed), which are being published in the first four months of 2010."

Would that be you, Boyd?

I think she's talking about someone with the clout of Vince Flynn, not this debut author. As far as I know, the Kindle edition will come out the same day as the hardcover.

Ann, we are sticking to the West for the debut because we think that's where we'll get the most bang for the buck. However, I will be going to NYC in July for Thrillerfest. I'd love to go to DC, but that's not in the plans right now. I'd love to see you out here, but if you can't make it and you'd like an autographed copy, I'm working with www.signedpage.com, where you can order personalized copies. I will certainly let Harvey know.

Offline Carol Hanrahan

• So. Cal.
      • View Profile
    Los Angeles!  I can get there!  Do I wait to get my signed copy then?

Carol Hanrahan

KBoards.com

• Advertisement