Author Topic: Kindle sleeves from a child's denim jumper  (Read 1136 times)  

Offline PraiseGod13

• Iowa
  • <'///>< Member #54
    • View Profile
Kindle sleeves from a child's denim jumper
« on: March 29, 2011, 11:41:34 am »
Okay... here goes... from an amateur...
The first two pictures are the front & back of the jumper.  Next will be three photos of the two sleeves I've made - fronts-backs-interior.  I cut the bib and the straps off the jumper and used a narrow wale corduroy to line the one sleeve and to be the back and lining of the second.  I also used it to line the detachable strap/handle that I made from the two jumper straps.  The bib is attached along its bottom & sides and open at the top to create a front pocket with a velcro closing like the sleeve.  I couldn't find a navy blue frog closure for the first tote, so I bought some braid/trim and made my own frog... loop on the inner top flap and knot on the one attached to the front of the tote itself.  I also added red rhinestones to the upper wings of the two butterflies to help tie in with my lining material.  What a fun project!!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 12:20:18 pm by PraiseGod13 »

MaKK (K1) & Shemar (K3)
Books let us into their souls and lay open to us the secrets of our own. ~ William Hazl

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline PG4003 (Patricia)

• Kentucky
    • A book is like a garden.....carried in the pocket.
      • View Profile
    Re: Kindle sleeves from a child's denim jumper
    « Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 02:52:47 pm »
    You did a GREAT job, aren't you proud of it??  So creative.  Thank you so much for showing us your results.  It makes me want to try to find something cute, small, denim and make something with it.  Love it!
    Visit my Etsy store!  Kindle Bags, Sleeves, and Purses custom made to your order
    http://www.pg4003.etsy.com

Offline manou

• Hong Kong
      • View Profile
      • DRESSED by Manuela on Etsy
    « Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 03:47:57 pm »
    Wonderful pictures - well done  :)
    I love how you incorporated bits of the ruffle as well - very creative.
    Feel free to pm me for custom orders of covers, sleeves and tote bags or visit my shop at:
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/DressedByManuela

Offline PraiseGod13

• Iowa
    • <'///>< Member #54
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 04:34:34 pm »
    I love how you incorporated bits of the ruffle as well - very creative.

I really wasn't sure how I was going to deal with the ruffle... I must have changed my mind a dozen times.  I really thought it might be easier to take the ruffle off and then sew it back on flat... with no gathers.  What I ended up doing was taking in the side seams even more and then sewing in darts to cut down on the huge fullness.  I actually really like the fullness that it still has... makes a bit of a "poof" around the bottom.  Glad you like them!

MaKK (K1) & Shemar (K3)
    Books let us into their souls and lay open to us the secrets of our own. ~ William Hazl

Offline PraiseGod13

• Iowa
    • <'///>< Member #54
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 04:42:19 pm »
    You did a GREAT job, aren't you proud of it??  So creative.  Thank you so much for showing us your results.  It makes me want to try to find something cute, small, denim and make something with it.  Love it!

Thanks so much, Patricia!  That means a lot to me coming from you whose creations I always love.  You really should try something using a child's denim item.  I spent a lot of time staring at this jumper and then I could see how the back (minus the straps) could fold forward and become the flap, etc.  DH brought home a darling girl's denim skirt for me last week with pink butterflies embroidered on all the pockets.  It would make a great sleeve/bag..... but it's so cute I might have to just save it for our granddaughter to grow into.  The jumper I used was a 3T in case that helps you. For 25 cents at the thrift store.... it was so much fun!!

MaKK (K1) & Shemar (K3)

• Kentucky
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 04:58:40 pm »
    We have a Goodwill store here and several of the second hand shops.  I could probably find something there.
    Visit my Etsy store!  Kindle Bags, Sleeves, and Purses custom made to your order

Offline Barbiedull

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 05:04:40 pm »
    They're both adorable. You did a great job.

Offline PraiseGod13

• Iowa
    • <'///>< Member #54
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 05:05:56 pm »
    We have a Goodwill store here and several of the second hand shops.  I could probably find something there.

I'm sure you could.... we have Goodwill also and DH has brought home six items now just from our little local thrift store.  So far... the 18 month to 3Ts seem to be about right for me.  But, there's no reason you couldn't make a larger bag using a larger size that could double as a purse/tote and would accommodate a Kindle plus charger and light.  I still hope that maybe some day I'll have an iPad so I made my sleeve with the ruffle on the bottom large enough to be able to be used for an iPad.  Then, I'd have matching sleeves for both my iPad and my Kindle.  I can dream.....

MaKK (K1) & Shemar (K3)

Offline PraiseGod13

• Iowa
    • <'///>< Member #54
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 05:10:23 pm »
    They're both adorable. You did a great job.

Thanks so much!  It was a lot of fun!  I was lucky to find the corduroy material that I just loved.  I was so happy that it had the gold flowers that went with the gold butterflies embroidered on the jumper.  It's really soft, yummy material and it was on sale for 30% off.... and then the gal at the register scanned a bar code that gave me another 10% off my total purchase on top of the sale price.  Now that was a fun shopping trip!!

MaKK (K1) & Shemar (K3)

Offline PraiseGod13

• Iowa
    • <'///>< Member #54
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 07:38:27 pm »
    Revisions already.... I just was NOT liking my homemade frog closure on the sleeve with the ruffled bottom.  So, I've taken both pieces off and have replaced it with an antiqued (not shiny) gold button.  Looks MUCH nicer and it's not so large and bulky.  It goes well with the brass rivets, embroidered gold butterflies and top-stitching, and the gold flowers in the corduroy lining fabric.  I don't want to put a buttonhole in the diamond shape in the flap.... so I'll use either a leather tab with a slit cut in it.... or an elastic loop to close it.

MaKK (K1) & Shemar (K3)

Offline Alicia P

• Michigan
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 09:32:35 pm »
    Those are both really cute!! I love how you made the shoulder straps into a removable handle!!

• Kentucky
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 04:33:47 am »
    Revisions already.... I just was NOT liking my homemade frog closure on the sleeve with the ruffled bottom.  So, I've taken both pieces off and have replaced it with an antiqued (not shiny) gold button.  Looks MUCH nicer and it's not so large and bulky.  It goes well with the brass rivets, embroidered gold butterflies and top-stitching, and the gold flowers in the corduroy lining fabric.  I don't want to put a buttonhole in the diamond shape in the flap.... so I'll use either a leather tab with a slit cut in it.... or an elastic loop to close it.

I do that all the time.  After I make something, especially if it's a new-to-me pattern, after I finish it I keep looking at it for ways to improve.

Offline pmmom2

• View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 05:49:36 am »
    Really cute idea!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement