Author Topic: Text to Speech  (Read 4648 times)  

Offline Brenda M.

• Suwanee, GA
    • View Profile
    • Southeast Pug Rescue and Adoption, Inc.
Text to Speech
« on: March 27, 2009, 09:33:29 am »
I have to say I am loving the Text to Speech option! As said by others, there's no way it comes near a real audio book version that's produced etc., but I still really like it. Before this I was getting audio books from the library and listening to one while reading another. I don't buy audio books as they are just too expensive (IMHO).

But, with the new K2, I can read my book, then listen to it in the car on the way to work right where I left off reading. Then on my lunch hour, pick the Kindle back up and continue reading where the speech left off. Then back in the car, and listen to it again. 

I am going thru books so much faster now! And, buying more books, so the publishers should take note of that.

True, it's a little mundane to listen to and you do have to let things go (like mispronunciations etc.), but it's so worth it to me. It is a little frustrating when the chapter changes and it just goes on like it's the next sentence, but I keep Klarence next to me while driving so I can glance over and see if it's changed chapters.
Brenda

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Britt

• Japan
      • View Profile
      • Goodreads
    Re: Text to Speech
    « Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 07:56:17 am »
    Thanks for the review! While I've played around with TTS before just to see how it sounded, I never really used it before. Then yesterday, I decided to try it out in the car while I was driving. However, I ended up going back and rereading the part that TTS had read to me. I feel like I missed a lot of things with TTS, but maybe that's just me. It is definitely a handy feature, but I just feel like I don't get as great of an understanding as if I read it myself.

Proud owner of Professor Vivian Kindlington the Kindle 2 since 2/24/09!

"How much sooner one tires of anything than of a book!" ~ Pride and Prejudice

Currently reading: The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror ~ Christopher Moore

Goodreads + Twitter

Offline pomlover2586

• CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 12:46:36 pm »
    I like the idea of TTS....however the words and pronunciation and speed all make it difficult to understand at times. :-\
    Elaina

Offline tylerdurden51

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 02:24:23 pm »
    i like to buy the book then download the audio book online :)
    Knowledge is power!

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 07:40:46 pm »
    i like to buy the book then download the audio book online :)

I have an elderly mother who has enjoyed reading in the past but says it's getting too hard (it's not the font size, it seems to be more of a double-vision problem).
    I am thinking of getting her a K2 for both audible.com and possibly TTS features (I've got a KK and get audiobooks from my library for my mp3 player).
    I know that through audible.com, one has to set up an account with a monthly subscription charge.
    Can one buy audible.com books through a Kindle account individually without having to have an audible.com membership?

I'm thinking of the K2 because somehow I think she would be better able to manage a K2 than say an ipod touch.
    « Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 01:40:23 pm by Harvey »
    Carol in 'burque

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to Skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and shouting: Damn-What a ride!

Offline kindlelindsay

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 03:09:47 pm »
    Yesterday I discovered a handy use for the Text to Speech feature.  I went to the gym to work out, and I'm not steady enough to keep track in my book to just read while on an aerobics machine.  But I turned on the text to speech and read along with the voice, following even when I lost my place, and having the handy feature of it turning the page for me!  It made the workout go by quicker too, as I was absorbed in the book!

Offline pidgeon92

• Chicago IL
    • Nothin' but a hound dog.
      • View Profile
      • Carmen-Ashland Building
    « Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 03:43:09 pm »
    I know that through audible.com, one has to set up an account with a monthly subscription charge.
    Can one buy audible.com books through a Kindle account individually without having to have an audible.com membership?

I'm thinking of the K2 because somehow I think she would be better able to manage a K2 than say an ipod touch.

You can buy from Audible without having a subscription, however the books do cost a few dollars more. If you would like to try a subscription, you can get a 2-credit trial at audible.com/twit2.

Quote from: Audible Free Trial Details
    Get your first 14 days of the AudibleListener Platinum membership plan free, which includes two audiobook credits. After your 14 day trial, your membership will renew each month for just $22.95 per month so you can continue to receive two audiobook credits per month plus members-only discounts on all audio purchases. A very small number of titles are more than one credit. Cancel your membership before your free trial period is up and you will not be charged. Thereafter, cancel anytime, effective the next billing cycle. Any unused audiobook credits will be lost at cancellation.

I just signed up for the trial yesterday, and also purchased an additional book.... I did this for my husband, who travels extensively and can't always keep his eyes open on the plane to actually read on his Kindle.

One of the books I bought was The Excorcist, read by William Peter Blatty..... I turned it on last night after I was reading, put in the earbuds, and promptly fell asleep.... When I woke up two hours later, he was still reading to me....
    « Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 01:43:38 pm by Harvey »
       my e-readers: Kindle 2 Kindle 3 nook iPad Sony-950

Offline Rasputina

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 03:53:42 pm »
    Is the voice generated dependant on hardware or is there a possibility of software upgrades improving it? I'm wondering because I've watched to the video and the voice leaves much to be desired. I choose to listen to audio books on my ipod, it's so much smaller than kindle.

Offline pidgeon92

• Chicago IL
    • Nothin' but a hound dog.
      • View Profile
      • Carmen-Ashland Building
    « Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 04:11:13 pm »
    Is the voice generated dependant on hardware or is there a possibility of software upgrades improving it? I'm wondering because I've watched to the video and the voice leaves much to be desired. I choose to listen to audio books on my ipod, it's so much smaller than kindle.

It's software, and you have a choice between a male and a female voice. However, they both have that stilted choppiness you will find with any text to speech application.
       my e-readers: Kindle 2 Kindle 3 nook iPad Sony-950

Offline Jeff

• McGregor, Texas
    • Member 95
      • View Profile
      • J. Hepple, Inc.
    « Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 04:27:29 pm »
    However, they both have that stilted choppiness you will find with any text to speech application.
    State-of-art text-to-speech is like an audio ransom note where prerecorded sounds are pasted into a data stream. Inflection is limited to visible punctuation so it simply cannot sound natural.

Offline Susan in VA

• Northern Virginia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 08:53:36 pm »
    text-to-speech is like an audio ransom note

What a great description!   :D
    Vivete con gioia e semplicit
    State buoni se potete
    Tutto il resto vanit.

Offline kevindorsey

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 03:06:46 pm »
    My friend has this set up on his K2, and I played around with it and walked away very unimpressed.  Pronunciation is very annoying and leaves a lot to be desired.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement