Author Topic: Should I get a dog? I did.  (Read 73764 times)  

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
  • How could you not smile back at Bonnie?
    • View Profile
Re: Should I get a dog?
« Reply #100 on: May 16, 2011, 09:28:17 am »
C'mon now, you know you want to and you know you will love it too bits! So go ahead aand get one and then post pics, lots of them!!

I am getting the only male of the four.  Bringing him home weekend of June 18 / 19.  He'll be nine weeks then.  Too little now.

My bro beagle (1954-1966).  I still miss him big time.
His last collar hangs on my bedpost.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Anne Victory

• Victory Editing
    • The Original "Oops Detector"
      • View Profile
      • Victory Editing
    « Reply #101 on: May 16, 2011, 09:45:27 am »
    I could start crate shopping.  They weren't used 40 - 55 years ago when we had the Beagle and later the Border.  What size for a 15 lb. dog?  Some have movable interior walls?  Anything else in particular I should look for in a crate?

Depends on if you plan on flying or not, among other things.  If you plan on flying (with your pet) then you want one that's cleared for airplanes - these are usually the plastic ones that don't fold.  If it's for home use or travel via road, I like the folding wire ones.  If you want to give it a darker, more "cave-like" feel, you can drape a blanket over it.  As for size - I generally recommend getting one that the dog will be able to stand at full height without having to crouch and also he should be able to turn around in the crate.  While you're potty training, though, you either want a crate with partitions or to find a box or similar that you can use to block off a portion of the crate.  If the dog can pee/poop in one corner of the crate and then lay down in the opposite corner, it won't help them learn to hold it - they'll just learn that the back corner of the crate makes an awesome bathroom ;-)
    No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style. - Vlad Taltos
    From Jhereg, by Steven Brust

Services Offered - Manuscript Editing & Final Proofing Pass (AKA Oops Detection) - More Information

"An Editor's Tips for Selecting Editors"--Feel free to check out my free article on WritersWin.com.
    My Facebook page--Some silliness, lots of caffeine, and the occasional snippet from a project I'm working on :)

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
      • View Profile
    « Reply #102 on: May 16, 2011, 09:50:13 am »
    I did get a crate already.  It's one of the plastic / fiberglass crates -- good for flying, but don't think that will happen.  (Who knows though?)  Breeder I got my Border Terrier from 40 years ago like that type of crate, so that's what I got.

Offline Anne Victory

• Victory Editing
      • View Profile
      • Victory Editing
    « Reply #103 on: May 16, 2011, 09:54:47 am »
    Dear spotsmom,

You are clearly mistaken in that they smell like Fritos.  :D

Sooooo glad that I'm not the only one to think this.  And it's not just puppies - Pippin's 10ish and he still has Frito paws.
    No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style. - Vlad Taltos

Services Offered - Manuscript Editing & Final Proofing Pass (AKA Oops Detection) - More Information

"An Editor's Tips for Selecting Editors"--Feel free to check out my free article on WritersWin.com.
    My Facebook page--Some silliness, lots of caffeine, and the occasional snippet from a project I'm working on :)

Offline Anne Victory

• Victory Editing
      • View Profile
      • Victory Editing
    « Reply #104 on: May 16, 2011, 10:05:38 am »
    I did get a crate already.  It's one of the plastic / fiberglass crates -- good for flying, but don't think that will happen.  (Who knows though?)  Breeder I got my Border Terrier from 40 years ago like that type of crate, so that's what I got.

Heh, yeah.  I noticed I came into the thread late - d'oh!  Just caught up - those are some CUTE puppies.  Adorable!!  I'm sooo excited for you :)  Oh - not sure if you've decided on a food yet, but I use Natural Balance - I swear by it:
    http://naturalbalanceinc.com  - Awesome company, awesome food.   

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #105 on: May 16, 2011, 11:21:04 am »
    There are a ton of really good dog foods out there. It might take a while to find one that works but I would recommend buying one of the higher end dog foods and not anything by Pedigree, Hill, Purina or the other big names. For the most part the large mass producing dog food companies use more filler ingredients and ones that are less nutritiou (like brewers rice) then the higher end, less mass produced dog foods. They can a bit more expensive, Taste of the Wild is about the same price as Science Diet actually but Natural Balance is more expensive bu a few dollars, but your dog will need to eat less and poops will be smaller.

If you do a search for dog food reviews, you will find some sites that write reviews for many dog foods. Natural Balance tends to be in the middle of the pack. There are many that use better quality ingredients and are the same price as Natural Balance. Blue Buffalo, Taste of the Wild are two that I know of.

Caya loves her Blue Buffalo Wilderness Salmon and all of the various foods we have tried for Cooper that have not worked (Blue Buffalo Lamb and Oatmeal, Science Diet Natural Lamb and Rice, Blue Buffalo Chicken and Rice, Natural Balance Salmon and Sweet Potato). Once we find a food that Cooper is good with we will transition Caya to that food. Well, and once we finish off the giant bag of food we have for her so it might be a while.

This site was recommended to me in a different topic. http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
      • View Profile
    « Reply #106 on: May 16, 2011, 08:48:51 pm »
    Our Beagle (see below) lived mostly on Ken-L Biscuit.  He seemed to do just fine.  Only thing I remember vet saying waaay back then was be careful of too much salt / sodium in dog food.

Offline MichelleR

• MN
      • View Profile
    « Reply #107 on: May 17, 2011, 01:32:22 pm »
    Some dogs thrive on anything, just like some people thrive on McDonald's. From a nutrition stand point though, I'd agree most pet foods are atrocious.

(And those are some adorable puppies!)
    Michelle
    Well we all shine on
    Like the moon and the stars and the sun

Offline Amyshojai

• North Texas
    • Pet Info-Tainment & Pet-Centric Thrillers!
      • View Profile
      • Amy's Pet Peeves Newsletter
    « Reply #108 on: May 19, 2011, 05:33:56 am »
    Guess I have to respectfully disagree that "most pet foods are atrocious"...from a nutrition standpoint.

Pet food companies are in the business of making foods that 1) owners will feed 2)dogs/cats like and will eat 3)provide adequate (not ideal!) nutrition for the greatest number of animals.

Foods that are not nutritions will not provide good health (shiny coats, good energy, proper growth, normal poops *s*), be palatable so the pet will actually eat 'em. And MOST owners stop opening pocket books if any of these things happen.

Pet food companies are not interested in making pets sick--that's bad for bidness, ya don't kill off your "audience." Killing off pets with substandard nutrition would be like an author writing crappy books that get tasted once, then returned and that author's work blackballed.  ;) A majority of pets are average and do well on average nutrition/products. None of us wants to think our dog/cat is average, though, so there's a whole sub-industry built on that marketing issue...

Do pets perform better on specialty foods? It depends. Yes, a percentage do MUCH better! And if you have one of this percentage, or a breeding animal, or a performance animal, or simply like going that extra mile for Fluffy & Fido, then do it. But if your dog or cat does well (likes the food, grows well, shiny coat, good energy, healthy "output" etc) I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I generally recommend listening to the breeder about what's worked over the longterm for his/her animals; the vet for recommendations (they get breaking news on innovations and/or problems); and look at the track record of the company.

Offline MichelleR

• MN
      • View Profile
    « Reply #109 on: May 19, 2011, 09:43:42 pm »
    Amy,
    I can't actually argue with you. I find most foods substandard, but I'm a pet food snob. I realize objectively that most pets will do okay, even more than okay, with most brands on the market, but on an emotional level the thought of feeding my kids Purina when there are much better brands leaves me -- well, that's my issue.  :)

I lost a Sheltie a couple years ago who was just my heart. He lived until 13 and 1/2, which is pretty darned good, and yet it doesn't feel that way. I'd had him since a puppy and he'd received the best of everything. Throughout his life, I'd rescued adult dogs, and every one of them outlived him in years -- 3 other Shelties making it to about 16. I had to reconcile that even the best food in the world is no protection against genetics and fate, but I'm still going to feed my dogs the best because my comfort with Riley was knowing there was nothing to regret or wonder about. I'm glad I don't have to question if he could have lived longer if the food had been a little better, or whatever.

Again, I can see that as my issue though and a slightly neurotic one at that.
    Michelle
    Well we all shine on

Offline Amyshojai

• North Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #110 on: May 19, 2011, 09:49:27 pm »
    Michelle, I'm a pet CARE snob (food, health, training) and so you are my people, LOL! Just trying to wear the journalist hat.  ::)  Please, no offense was meant at all and I don't fault anyone for choosing the best-of-the-best as they see it.

I grew up with shelties, they're delightful dogs. The hurt of losing a heart-dog never goes away, does it? And...13-1/2 years on paper looks good but 16-18-30 years would not be enough for those special ones.

Offline MichelleR

• MN
      • View Profile
    « Reply #111 on: May 19, 2011, 10:16:26 pm »
    Michelle, I'm a pet CARE snob (food, health, training) and so you are my people, LOL! Just trying to wear the journalist hat.  ::)  Please, no offense was meant at all and I don't fault anyone for choosing the best-of-the-best as they see it.

I grew up with shelties, they're delightful dogs. The hurt of losing a heart-dog never goes away, does it? And...13-1/2 years on paper looks good but 16-18-30 years would not be enough for those special ones.

I wasn't offended. I've long been a fan of you and your advice.

You're right that there will always be an ache there when I say his name -- lots of good memories too. I told my husband recently that if I could go back and live in any moment it would be us at the park with him. Riley still a young guy, always up for a walk, or frisbee, or finding me after I've ducked behind a tree. Of course, I realize that I did type 13 and 1/2 and I don't know where I got that -- he'd just turned 14, which I know full well and good since I knew in my heart on his last birthday that it would be his last.

Maybe I'm the one who needs better kibble.  :D
    Michelle
    Well we all shine on

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
      • View Profile
    « Reply #112 on: May 19, 2011, 11:37:13 pm »
    I'm thinking of getting a pen to use inside for coming Border Terrier.  In reading comments, some people have said their dogs pee and poo outside, but also use pads indoors when it's more convenient for dogs' people.  Can dogs learn to do both -- go out and use pads indoors?  Most books I've read said that's confusing for them.

Offline Amyshojai

• North Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #113 on: May 20, 2011, 09:29:10 am »
    Dogs are smart and most can learn about anything...BUT...for a pup, I'd concentrate on one thing at a time. And my preference always is "outside" for potty. *s* Once he's faithful to that, then yes, you could have an alternate potty for bad weather or if/when you're gone loooong hours.

An indoor pen isn't a bad idea anyway, though. I suspect you'll find uses for that. Or segregated areas of the house with baby gates.

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #114 on: May 20, 2011, 07:38:42 pm »
    We used an indoor pen with Cooper but it didn't last long. He wanted to playe with Caya and Caya wanted to play with him. I think it would work great with a single dog. It decreases the dogs roaming area and makes it less likely that the puppy will have an accident in the house.

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
      • View Profile
    « Reply #115 on: May 20, 2011, 08:23:11 pm »
    Dog will be an "only child" here.  I probably will try the pen.  I'm in a one bedroom condo.  Not enough options in it to simply bar off an area.  

I tend to over stress about things -- e.g., housetraining.  (One books says "housetraining", NOT "housebreaking" as nothing, including the dog, is broken.)  But I'm thinking positive . . . it WILL go well.
    « Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 07:49:07 am by Sandpiper »

Offline Amyshojai

• North Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #116 on: May 21, 2011, 06:04:37 am »
    Oh yes, it WILL go well--think positive! Catch puppy in the act of doing something RIGHT and then throw a praise-party.  ;D  Oh, and for what it's worth, my brand-new http://www.puppies.About.com site is now live with all kinds of puppy-licious free info (and places to share SQUEEEE! photos & stories)

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #117 on: May 21, 2011, 07:07:12 am »
    The pen should work great. It helps contain the little guy and decreases the likelihood of his peeing or pooping in the house.

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
      • View Profile
    « Reply #118 on: May 21, 2011, 07:47:17 am »
    Last year I had all the carpeting pulled up and put down wood-looking flooring.  It's not even laminate.  Something tougher than that.  At the time, I was thinkin' someday it may get peed and pooed on.  (Thinking positive -- NO, it won't.)  So at home I only walk on that flooring or ceramic tile.

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
      • View Profile
    « Reply #119 on: May 26, 2011, 07:36:15 am »
    I got this service bell he can learn to ring for when "I gotta go."  Saw a Westie on AFV recently ding the bell.

Anyone have experience with dog slings?  Looks like a good idea for small dogs.  Mostly positive comments.

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #120 on: May 26, 2011, 08:56:33 am »
    My dogs never picked up on the bell. (shrugs)

Offline Wunderkind

• New York
      • View Profile
    « Reply #121 on: May 26, 2011, 09:00:15 am »
    I got this service bell he can learn to ring for when "I gotta go."  Saw a Westie on AFV recently ding the bell.

I LOVED that video clip! That dog was so cute!

Offline Alle Meine Entchen

• Huntington, WV
      • View Profile
    « Reply #122 on: May 26, 2011, 09:39:01 am »
    one of my friends has an English Mastiff dog/horse (her daughters named her Jane after Jane Austen).  She rings a bell to go out, but it's a christmas decoration hung on the door handle (which is really good for Jane, since she comes up to my waist and I'm 5'9).  Of course, Jane also rings it when she just wants to have a look.  From what I remember Susan telling me, they rang the bell everytime they took Jane out and by the time she was potty trained, she had learned to associate the ringing w/ going outside.  Now when Jane wants in, she hits the door hard enough to cause the bell to ring again.

Offline Casper Parks

• Planet Earth
    • Novelist, Casper Parks
      • View Profile
      • Casper Parks
    « Reply #123 on: May 26, 2011, 10:03:13 am »
    I have a cat, love him... Been with me for years. When Charlie passes from old age, will not have another pet. Figure, dog or cat you are promising to take of him/her for 12 to 20 years.

Casper Parks an author for todays generation.

Casper Parks | author website | goodreads | google+ | youtube | twitter

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
      • View Profile
    « Reply #124 on: May 26, 2011, 10:07:26 am »
    Of course, Jane also rings it when she just wants to have a look.

That's what I was wondering . . . how to teach him to ring it only when he has to go, not also when he wants to go out for a sniff of air.  ???  As I've said upthread, I'm in a condo (2nd floor) so that means WE go out (him on a leash) -- not just him out the door.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement