Author Topic: Should I get a dog? I did.  (Read 73766 times)  

Offline balaspa

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Should I get a dog?
« Reply #125 on: May 26, 2011, 10:08:02 am »
Dogs are the greatest thing ever.  I honestly feel like nature got it right with dogs.  They are loving and loyal.  They are always there for you, unlike most people.  Dogs are fantastic.  So, I say yes..
The new thriller TEXT is available now!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Amyshojai

• North Texas
    • Pet Info-Tainment & Pet-Centric Thrillers!
      • View Profile
      • Amy's Pet Peeves Newsletter
    « Reply #126 on: May 26, 2011, 10:19:09 am »
    RE: the dog slings....positives and negatives. Many small dogs get carried in pooch purses and arms and dog slings so much their toes never touch the ground. IMO little dogs need to act like DOGS just as much as the big guys, and running around under their own power for exercise and normal doggy activities is important. There can be issues of bigger dogs wanting to jump up and try to grab pooches that are elevated. So for occassional "hands free" trips being carried around, it's fine probably but I wouldn't make a habit of it.  :)

The door ringing -- no real way to ensure the pooch won't abuse that ding-dong to get a chance to check things out. Best way to reduce messing around and make sure the pup gets down to business is to put the 'potty' act on command, and not allow play/sniffing/fun stuff until after s/he has been productive.

Offline caseyf6

• View Profile
      • Passages-- On the Brink and Diving In
    « Reply #127 on: May 26, 2011, 11:13:44 am »
    Oh my gosh...between the frito-paws (they really do smell like that, I agree) and that PHOTO I am wanting a dog so much.  I love them, dh doesn't...sigh.  

But I live vicariously.  :)

Offline cc84

• UK
    • My fab Noah ♥
      • View Profile
    « Reply #128 on: May 26, 2011, 12:03:23 pm »
    Dogs are the greatest thing ever.  I honestly feel like nature got it right with dogs.  They are loving and loyal.  They are always there for you, unlike most people.  Dogs are fantastic.  So, I say yes..

Totally agree, well said  :)
    What will I be doing in twenty years' time? I'll be dead, darling! Are you crazy? - When I'm dead, I want to be remembered as a musician of some worth and substance. - The reason we're successful, darling? My overall charisma, of course. - The others don't like my interviews. And frankly, I don't care much for theirs. - Money may not buy happiness, but it can damn well give it! - I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me. - I dress to kill, but tastefully - I won't be a rock star. I will be a legend.

Quotes by the amazing Freddie Mercury ♥

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • How could you not smile back at Bonnie?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #129 on: May 26, 2011, 01:49:09 pm »
    RE: the dog slings....positives and negatives. Many small dogs get carried in pooch purses and arms and dog slings so much their toes never touch the ground. IMO little dogs need to act like DOGS just as much as the big guys, and running around under their own power for exercise and normal doggy activities is important. There can be issues of bigger dogs wanting to jump up and try to grab pooches that are elevated. So for occassional "hands free" trips being carried around, it's fine probably but I wouldn't make a habit of it.  :)

The door ringing -- no real way to ensure the pooch won't abuse that ding-dong to get a chance to check things out. Best way to reduce messing around and make sure the pup gets down to business is to put the 'potty' act on command, and not allow play/sniffing/fun stuff until after s/he has been productive.

IF I get the sling (think I probably will), I do intend to use it only occasionally when my small full grown dog is not yet full grown.  Even though sling is supposed to be good for dogs up to 20 lbs., I'd think my full grown 12 - 15 Border Terrier would get to feeling kind of heavy and uncomfortable before long.

Going to show him how to use bell only when we're going out "to go" and then coming right back in -- not going out just for fun.  Hopefully he'll catch on to that.

I still don't know for absolutely sure, but am still leaning towards Burke for his name.

My bro beagle (1954-1966).  I still miss him big time.
    His last collar hangs on my bedpost.

Offline Amyshojai

• North Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #130 on: May 26, 2011, 02:17:22 pm »
    Burke...the Barker. I like!

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
      • View Profile
    « Reply #131 on: May 26, 2011, 04:47:20 pm »
    Burke...the Barker. I like!

I hope not.  That's the one thing I'm worried about -- barking.  Cuz I'm in a condo.  That would NOT be good.  Actually, I'm not too worried that Burke will bark -- other than hopefully "speak" when asked to.  We had no problems with barking with previous Beagle and Border Terrier.  Just remember one time, ONE time only, Beagle was out at night, sat and looked up at the moon . . . and he bayed!

Offline mscottwriter

• Michigan
    • The best stories come out after dark
      • View Profile
      • Michelle Scott's Fiction
    « Reply #132 on: May 26, 2011, 05:03:39 pm »
    We used pet finder to find Bandit, our border collie, who was nearly a year old when we got him.  I was a little worried at first because I didn't know why his previous owners had ditched him at animal control.  I had small children at the time, and I didn't know if he would nip them or jump on them  or what.

But he turned out to the be the friendliest, most lovable dog!  He was sweet-tempered from the get-go.  He never got on the furniture or jumped up on people.  The worst he did was chew on a flip flop and, once, a Barbie doll.

Here he is with his "little brother" (who was also a rescue pet).

He was such a sweetie that I wrote him into my book, lol.
    « Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 05:11:12 pm by mscott9985 »
    [ Plenty of ghosts, haunted houses, and evil spirits.

I write urban fantasy.
    Michelle Scott | author website | blog | facebook | twitter | goodreads | google+

Offline Amyshojai

• North Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #133 on: May 27, 2011, 05:59:31 am »
    I hope not.  That's the one thing I'm worried about -- barking.  Cuz I'm in a condo.  That would NOT be good.  Actually, I'm not too worried that Burke will bark -- other than hopefully "speak" when asked to.  We had no problems with barking with previous Beagle and Border Terrier.  Just remember one time, ONE time only, Beagle was out at night, sat and looked up at the moon . . . and he bayed!

OMG, Beagles were BRED to bark--so if you had no problems with a Beagle, surely you'll be fine with the new lil' guy. *s*

Offline Pawz4me

• North Carolina
      • View Profile
      • Goodpaws
    « Reply #134 on: May 27, 2011, 10:01:31 am »
    Keep in mind that breed characteristics are generalities.  They'll be true of many dogs in the breed, but not all.  My beagle would make a wonderful apartment dog, because she's very quiet.  She might bark once a month.  I think in her case it has a lot to do with being so lazy.  Barking just takes too much energy.  :D

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
      • View Profile
    « Reply #135 on: May 27, 2011, 10:16:27 am »
    Yes, every person and every animal is an individual. 

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #136 on: May 27, 2011, 12:41:33 pm »
    [Monty Python Voice] I'm not! [/Monty Python Voice}

Offline KenIsaacson

• Florida
      • View Profile
      • www.KenIsaacson.com
    « Reply #137 on: May 27, 2011, 01:07:38 pm »
    Absolutely!

Lee Child, author of the Jack Reacher series, says calls Death Benefit "a terrific legal thriller, right up there with the best in the genre -- immediately appealing, always intriguing, and very satisfying in the end."
    Ken Isaacson | Facebook | Twitter | Website

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
      • View Profile
    « Reply #138 on: May 27, 2011, 01:32:45 pm »
    I expect it will be just three weeks from this weekend!!!

Offline Amyshojai

• North Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #139 on: May 27, 2011, 03:13:13 pm »
    You MUST post puppy-licious pictures!

Ken, that's a gorgeous doggy.

Offline caseyf6

• View Profile
      • Passages-- On the Brink and Diving In
    « Reply #140 on: May 27, 2011, 08:32:19 pm »
    Love the eyes on that little pup. 

Offline MichelleR

• MN
      • View Profile
    « Reply #141 on: May 27, 2011, 08:54:17 pm »
    OMG, Beagles were BRED to bark.

Any Sheltie reading this ( ;)) is now barking out something that can be translated as, "Bah, Beagles, Amateurs!" In case the people around them missed it, the Shelties will repeat it -- again and again.  :D

I got my first Sheltie from a breeder, before rescue became so close to my heart. I contacted the breeders years later and discovered my dog's mom had died from complications from a "de-bark" operation gone wrong -- too much scar tissue. She was really a lovely dog and when I saw her I hoped the puppy I got would grow up to be just as beautiful -- and he did. I know her owners meant well, but that surgery should not be done lightly, if at all.

When I worked at the shelter, we used to see a lot of Beagles as strays -- I imagine they followed an interesting scent only to look up and wonder where they heck they'd ended up at. One wandered right into the middle of the expressway. Eesh. Beagle ears are one (two?) of the coolest things ever.

Michelle
    Well we all shine on
    Like the moon and the stars and the sun

Offline lpking

• The Wet Coast
      • View Profile
      • Azarimba
    « Reply #142 on: May 27, 2011, 09:02:13 pm »
    I imagine they followed an interesting scent only to look up and wonder where they heck they'd ended up at. One wandered right into the middle of the expressway. Eesh.

We had a dog which looked like a black Lab/spaniel cross, but must have had some beagle in him. He never ended up in the expressway, but he did learn where McDonalds and the Safeway were. I had people try to pay me to buy him because "he's such a nice dog!" Once, we went to a different city for a swim meet, and he escaped from the yard of the place where we were staying and was gone the whole weekend. It was only by luck that I found him, less than an hour before we had to leave for home, inside the garden gate of a very lonely lady who was willing to pay me almost anything to keep him.
    I base my fashion taste on what doesn't itch. (Gilda Radner)
    www.azarimba.blogspot.com

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
      • View Profile
    « Reply #143 on: May 27, 2011, 09:56:40 pm »
    When our Beagle got free, we'd put out the word in the neighborhood.  Kids would go looking for him.  We lived just a half block from a grade school.  Little kids got to know our Beagle.  Kids would ring our doorbell and ask if he could come out to play.  He was the sweetest.

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #144 on: May 28, 2011, 04:55:38 am »
    And this is why I have micro chipped dogs. You never know when the collars are going to come off and the dogs are going to escape. The micro chip should help them find their way home.

Offline Amyshojai

• North Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #145 on: May 28, 2011, 10:58:57 am »
    Shelties--I grew up with 'em. LOVE 'em, but they do rival the barking-est dawgies.

Last night Magical-Dawg "went south" on my husband. He was on leash, but a coyote (DASTARDLY CRITTER!) raced across HIS field and so Magic just had to give chase...yanked the leash from husband's hand and was off and running. He came back in twenty minutes dragging the leash (and his tongue on the ground). He's microchipped but it'd take some seriously dog-savvy folks to get close enough to nab him.  ::)

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
      • View Profile
    « Reply #146 on: May 28, 2011, 12:38:29 pm »
    Burke is supposed to be already microchipped when I get him. 

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
      • View Profile
    « Reply #147 on: May 29, 2011, 11:13:55 am »
    Can anyone recommend a good DTB book on clicker training?  It's lightly touched in a couple books I bought.  Got my Karen Pryor clicker, but don't know if her how-to book is necessarily the best.

Offline Pawz4me

• North Carolina
      • View Profile
      • Goodpaws
    « Reply #148 on: May 29, 2011, 11:51:44 am »
    Not a book, but you might want to check out Clicker Solutions.  There are some good training articles on the site, plus information about the Clicker Solutions Yahoo list, if you're interested in joining.

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #149 on: May 29, 2011, 12:35:15 pm »
    I love clicker training. Karen Pryor has a website if you don't want to buy the book. I found the book very good.
    Words with Friends: Jane917

(Make your own reading bar)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement