Author Topic: Should I get a dog? I did.  (Read 73758 times)  

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
  • How could you not smile back at Bonnie?
    • View Profile
Re: Should I get a dog? I did.
« Reply #1325 on: July 16, 2016, 06:52:32 am »
Oh dear.  This past week Burke had a teeth cleaning and three lower incisors extracted.  He's got a gap!  :o  I worked at brushing his teeth for a while and then didn't.  My vet said she's not very good with brushing her dogs' teeth either.  I'm going to try using a vinyl finger brush after he's healed.  Seems vets have varying opinions on toys, etc.  Rawhide-type chews for teeth cleaning not good for Burke.  Little pieces break off.  I could see him choking.  I've seen blood on them too.  Greenie type chews.  Chomp chomp swallow.  My vet says nylabone, antlers, anything hard (doesn't give to pressure from a fingernail) are not good for dogs.

Burke survived the "surgery".  He is OK.  He is on antibiotics and pain med for app. a week.  No problem giving him pills.  "Cookie, Burke?"  "Yeah!"  Down the hatch.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 05:02:00 pm by Sandpiper »

My bro beagle (1954-1966).  I still miss him big time.
His last collar hangs on my bedpost.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1326 on: July 16, 2016, 08:19:18 am »
    Oh dear.  This past week Burke had a teeth cleaning and three lower incisors extracted.  He's got a gap!  :o  I worked at brushing his teeth for a while and then didn't.  My vet said she not very good with brushing her dogs' teeth either.  I'm going to try using a vinyl finger brush after he's healed.  Seems vets have varying opinions on toys, etc.  Rawhide-type chews for teeth cleaning not good for Burke.  Little pieces break off.  I could see him choking.  I've seen blood on them too.  Greenie type chews.  Chomp chomp swallow.  My vet says nylabone, antlers, anything hard (doesn't give to pressure from a fingernail) are not good for dogs.

Burke survived the "surgery".  He is OK.  He is on antibiotics and pain med for app. a week.  No problem giving him pills.  "Cookie, Burke?"  "Yeah!"  Down the hatch.

Jack and Kona both had their dental work this month. Jack (9 years old) had a cleaning and 10 teeth removed. He had 9 removed last year! Kona just had a cleaning, no teeth removed. Both dogs barely noticed a thing once they got their land legs back. Jack ate soft food for a few days before returning to his kibble. He does not seem to miss his teeth at all. We give them Entadent chews once in a while. Kona eats his, Jack just gums it.
    Words with Friends: Jane917

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1327 on: July 16, 2016, 05:13:43 pm »
    Jack and Kona both had their dental work this month. Jack (9 years old) had a cleaning and 10 teeth removed. He had 9 removed last year! Kona just had a cleaning, no teeth removed. Both dogs barely noticed a thing once they got their land legs back. Jack ate soft food for a few days before returning to his kibble. He does not seem to miss his teeth at all. We give them Entadent chews once in a while. Kona eats his, Jack just gums it.

Burke is 5 YO.  So I don't have to feel too guilty about his losing teeth?  :-\  I got a vinyl finger brush recently that fits my finger.  Will give it a try when I get the vet's OK.  Used a brush before which Burke didn't care for.  I've always dampened Burke's chow with chicken broth.  A little wetter for a few weeks.  He goes back to vet for a quick check on July 26.

Two big vet bills -- last month for annual check-up, vaccinations, etc. and this month the teeth.  Enough!  But Burke is worth it. 
    « Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 09:07:57 am by Sandpiper »

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #1328 on: July 18, 2016, 05:36:07 am »
    We use regular treats and some rawhide treats for the dogs. They love their antlers and bones. Our Vet has said that they are fine. I suspect that different dogs will have different reactions to toys and bones and chews. We don't brush their teeth. So far they have not had to have any dental work and they are both 6, Caya is 6 months older then Cooper. That will probably change as they get older but so far so good.

My 3 year old human child ended up having to be sedated in order to have three molars filled and the rest of his teeth treated because he had soft spots forming already. He brushes his teeth twice a day and the dentists (two different ones) report no food debris or any sign of problems along those lines. He happens to have a medical issue that leads to soft enamel and his teeth have deep pits (like his mothers) so he is more susceptible to cavities. He did not have cavities yet but was already on the way there. The treatment was recommended because the molars do not fall out until 11 or12 and he needs them to eat.

So the dogs teeth are fine with little human intervention, the little humans teeth are not with a good deal of human intervention. Sometimes a mammal ends up with bad teeth. I wouldn't feel too bad about Burke. You are attentive, loving owner whose dog has teeth problems that you probably could not have prevented. I don't feel bad about my little mans teeth woos, we fixed them (although I was worried that day) and he is just fine and dandy now.

Offline Amyshojai

• North Texas
    • Pet Info-Tainment & Pet-Centric Thrillers!
      • View Profile
      • Amy's Pet Peeves Newsletter
    « Reply #1329 on: July 18, 2016, 06:09:53 am »
    Just like human teeth, being prone to dental issues is influenced by heredity. Preventive care can help, of course. There also are some products you can put in the dog's drinking water that will help, and there are diets that are specially designed to help prevent calculus and tartar build up. Look for the VOHC "seal of approval" on treats and food that's met the Veterinary Oral Health Council tests. See http://www.vohc.org/

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1330 on: July 18, 2016, 09:13:32 am »
    Just like human teeth, being prone to dental issues is influenced by heredity. Preventive care can help, of course. There also are some products you can put in the dog's drinking water that will help, and there are diets that are specially designed to help prevent calculus and tartar build up. Look for the VOHC "seal of approval" on treats and food that's met the Veterinary Oral Health Council tests. See http://www.vohc.org/

My vet said look for VOHC recommendations.  One of Burke's canines is chipped slightly.  Maybe that's why she says nothing hard.  Otherwise I don't know why.  I should have / will ask.  Water additives do virtually nothing.  There is one my vet said could try.  App. $55 for a cup of it!  :o  I don't think so.  It's not even easily available.  Amazon.  ;)

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1331 on: July 29, 2016, 02:05:08 pm »
    I have always used Frontline Plus Flea & Tick on Burke.  Was asking breeder about chow today, she brought up Frontline.  She does NOT recommend / like any chemical repellants.  She has always used brewer's yeast and garlic tabs.  I'd never heard about them before.  Any comments, recommendations, suggestions?

Offline Amyshojai

• North Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1332 on: July 29, 2016, 02:16:03 pm »
    Brewer's yeast and garlic tabs both have vitamins that "may" help improve a dog's general health. They do NOT have flea protective abilities, despite anecdotal arguments to the contrary. Just like people and mosquitoes (some folks are pestered to death while other people walk into a swarm without a single bite) different dogs are more/less attractive to fleas. So...if you have a dog that isn't "bothered" much by fleas, giving supplements that boost general health might seem to be protective. If you have a dog that fleas love...or the dog suffers from flea allergic dermatitis and only one bite sets off incessant itching...it's doubtful brewer's yeast and garlic tabs would do much to help.

Incidentally, products like Frontline are designed to affect insects, not mammals, and are far safer than the "old time" chemicals that indeed, were dangerous to pets. I generally recommend folks check with a vet in their own region because the buggy incidence/resistance also varies across the country. What works for me in Texas might not work elsewhere. *shrug*

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1333 on: July 29, 2016, 02:44:59 pm »
    I've always used Frontline on Burke.  Never noticed fleas.  Other than using a flea comb, how would you know if ....?  Burke doesn't scratch / itch much at all.  (I vaguely remember Spot, the beagle in my signature, getting fleas once.  Don't remember how we discovered them.  Don't remember what we did about 'em.)  I think I'll continue with the Frontline and keep my mouth shut about it with the breeder. 

Also the breeder doesn't recommend Frontline due to Burke's idiopathic seizures.  New Nextguard flea & tick tabs aren't recommended for dogs with history of seizures, but I've never heard anything about that with regards to Frontline.

She's not into any vaccinations either except required Rabies.  Her 3 - 4 Border Terriers don't go to any daycare or kennel, so not concerned about Bordetella vaccination.  Burke gets that as Bellyrub Klub requires it.  My vet recommends Lepto in case of contact with wild animals, possibly their urine in water, etc.  Yeah, that is possible.  We have wild critters around here.  I think it was Burke's first or second summer, he got a squirrel in his mouth!  (Must have been dead, but it wasn't roadkill.)  You never know?!  So, yes to Lepto.

The yeast and garlic tabs are supposed to help with coat condition?  I've been adding a little olive oil to Burke's supper to help with that.  I consume A LOT of olive oil myself.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 02:54:31 pm by Sandpiper »

Offline metal134

• Canton, OH
    • Dayman, fighter of the Nightman
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1334 on: August 01, 2016, 10:04:40 pm »
    I always wonder why more and more people are counting on animal love more than human love. Is that the direction modern society is heading to.... I still like to count on human love.

Sorry for this odd post. Wish you tons of love...
    I'm only 34, so I don't have experience that goes WAY back, but I can say that it's no different now than it's ever been in my time on this Earth.

Offline kdiem

• View Profile
    « Reply #1335 on: August 18, 2016, 07:56:52 am »
    I've always used Frontline on Burke. 
    [Snip Snip]

She's not into any vaccinations either except required Rabies.  Her 3 - 4 Border Terriers don't go to any daycare or kennel, so not concerned about Bordetella vaccination.  Burke gets that as Bellyrub Klub requires it.  My vet recommends Lepto in case of contact with wild animals, possibly their urine in water, etc.  Yeah, that is possible.  We have wild critters around here.  I think it was Burke's first or second summer, he got a squirrel in his mouth!  (Must have been dead, but it wasn't roadkill.)  You never know?!  So, yes to Lepto.
    [Snip Snip]

My personal experience with Frontline Plus has been good. My mom used it on her epileptic dog (Bouvier des Flandres) for years with no ill effects. I'd strongly suggest keeping the dog on Frontline.

What's your vet say about that vaccine schedule?  You might consider adding the distemper and parvo vaccines (unless your vet recommends otherwise) to your vaccine list. Generally those are high efficiency vaccines with low incidence of side effects. Wild animals can pass along distemper and you mentioned some exposure to those, and parvo's death rate in puppies is like 80% - older dogs have a better survival rate, but still! Lepto is good when it works, but I'd consider it less important than distemper...

Caveat: Feel free to take my opinion with a grain of salt and your snack of choice. I'm not a vet or vet tech, but I did work animal rescue for a while, and lack of vaccinations ... well, it led to some very sad days.

Author. Bibliophile. Fangirl.
    Karen Diem | website | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Goodreads

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1336 on: August 19, 2016, 05:21:31 am »
    Forgot about that one -- Burke gets DHPP 3 yr vaccination also.  I wonder if that was a standard vaccination in the late '50s - early '60s.  Beagle in my signature almost died from IIRC something Dr. Burke said was comparable to hepatitis in humans.  Dr. Burke pulled him through.  And so 50 years later my current dog is named for Dr. Walter Burke, DVM who I knew in his 30s. 

« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 11:41:28 am by Sandpiper »

Offline kdiem

• View Profile
    « Reply #1337 on: August 19, 2016, 07:51:56 am »
    Glad to hear Burke gets his DHPP too! :)  Proper vaccination (and food) is so important.

And what a lovely reason for a name.

Author. Bibliophile. Fangirl.
    Karen Diem | website | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Goodreads

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1338 on: September 09, 2016, 01:12:30 pm »
    Can dogs get dizzy?  I got a Simply Fit board (as seen on Shark Tank ;) ) which I haven't truly used yet, but Burke has.  Agility for him.  For one thing -- it takes courage for him to get "on board".  The board rocks, wobbles, and spins as he's trying to get on.  He's gotten brave.  Doesn't take him long now.  Once he's sitting on it ("stay"), I can spin it.  Can dogs get dizzy?

Offline Amyshojai

• North Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1339 on: September 09, 2016, 01:18:24 pm »
    Can dogs get dizzy?  I got a Simply Fit board (as seen on Shark Tank ;) ) which I haven't truly used yet, but Burke has.  Agility for him.  For one thing -- it takes courage for him to get "on board".  The board rocks, wobbles, and spins as he's trying to get on.  He's gotten brave.  Doesn't take him long now.  Once he's sitting on it ("stay"), I can spin it.  Can dogs get dizzy?

Yes. They have similar structures in the ear as do people, which moderate balance.

Offline Lee44

• Books Can Fuel Your Dreams!
      • View Profile
      • Free-Job-Search-Websites.com
    « Reply #1340 on: October 02, 2016, 01:28:41 pm »
    I thought that you would like this story, Punkin, my 5 year old chihuahua girl, gets very excited when food is at issue (as is likely true with most dogs), however, I have never seen her quite as excited as she is when I give her a DentaLife chew, once a week. (Sandpiper: maybe this would help Burke, it is firm, but flexible, specifically made for cleaning teeth). First she stares at me, as though I am going to take it away, then she spins in place for about five or six twirls, then she picks up the chew and runs around the house looking for the perfect hiding place.

She conducts this search for about 20-30 minutes, which apparently means there are no acceptable hiding places in my residence worthy of such a trophy as this chew. I like it because she gets some quality exercise. When she finally finds a place for it, she leaves it there, for perhaps 5 minutes or so. Once this process is complete, she moves it to her sacred eating spot and enjoys it for as long as it lasts. It is a Sunday ritual.

I love watching this happen every week, it is so cute to see.

Killer Work from Home Jobs: 200 Fortune 500 & Legitimate Work at Home Jobs!

Success!! - ! 

If you want to work at home, there are 200 great Fortune 500, nationwide, worldwide, mid-sized & smaller companies that will hire you - make that dream come true!

How I work from home.

Offline yoshiyoshi

• View Profile
    « Reply #1341 on: November 15, 2016, 04:06:49 am »

Burke is the cutest! I really want to get a dog myself but at the moment don't have enough time to spend with a dog. But I think after New Year I'll definitely find a friend for myself.  :)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement