Author Topic: Should I get a dog? I did.  (Read 73762 times)  

Offline MichelleR

• MN
    • View Profile
Re: Should I get a dog?
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2011, 12:32:17 am »
One of those dogs in particular could interest me -- Scrappy.  But really, not much is said about him.  And I don't much care for their procedure for adopting.  Fill out on-line form.  Someone will call if they like what's on the form.  If so, be there on the 16th -- first come gets the dog.  Geeeez.  I'm a distance, but not too far.  Line waiting outside the shelter at 8:00 a.m.?  I'm first.  No, I'm first.  Not first.  You lose.  Seems a little not so to me.  Animals there may be OK.  Sometimes shelters get shut down.  (Thinking of one in this area years ago.)

That does seem chaotic. We did the first come/first serve thing when a dog was featured on the news, but only because in that case it would be crazy. I'd handle it a little different from online. Of course, little dogs are much more in demand.

When I fostered, I'd screen the people and make my own decisions, arrange for a visit, and the dog would only return to the shelter as a formality unless he had not been neutered.

Still, it's not Scrappy's fault.  :D
Michelle
Well we all shine on
Like the moon and the stars and the sun

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Alle Meine Entchen

• Huntington, WV
      • View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: April 04, 2011, 04:16:44 am »
    I could start crate shopping.  They weren't used 40 - 55 years ago when we had the Beagle and later the Border.  What size for a 15 lb. dog?  Some have movable interior walls?  Anything else in particular I should look for in a crate?

I am far from an expert on crates, but as far as I know:  The moveable interior walls are for puppies.  You buy one the size they should be fully grown and move the walls as they grow.  This keeps you from having to buy 2 crates.  The crate needs to be big enough for the dog to turn around in, but you don't want it to be too big b/c you want it to be her "den".  Too big and they'll find a spot to make their bathroom in.  W/ our current dog (Gizmo the Wonder Pug) we've thrown a blanket over her crate to make it warmer and more cave like.  She loves her crate.  When looking for a crate, since you're looking for an older dog, go w/ the size the dog should be (the crates should be rated by weight, ie, up to 15 lbs, 15-30lbs etc)

Offline ◄ Jess ►

• near Chicago
      • View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: April 04, 2011, 06:50:37 am »
    I realllly want to get a dog as well. I think it'll have to wait until I finish college, move out of the dorms, and get a job, though! Keep us updated on what you decide!!

Offline louiseb

• DFW
      • View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: April 04, 2011, 12:40:45 pm »
    I definitely support getting a dog but in the spirit of full disclosure I should tell you I have 6, and have had as many as 8, all rescues.  :) Someone else posted a Petfinder link for you, there is any kind of dog you could want out there in a shelter or rescue needing a home, easy to find on Petfinder. Most of mine came from a shelter because I like to get the "unadoptable" dogs, but one of mine I got from a rescue. I was looking for very particular personality traits to go with one of my dogs. I went through the 7 page application, the phone interview, and the home interview before I was accepted. I understand, the rescues put a lot of time and often money into the dogs getting them healthy and through their trauma, they do not want all their work to be undone by the wrong adopter, and there are some real horror stories out there. The good thing about getting a dog from a rescue versus the shelter is you know exactly what you are getting, any physical/emotional problems, training issues. When you get a dog from a shelter you often do not know what the dog will really be like until they've been away from the shelter a few weeks. I also tried fostering a dog, when the rescue found her a home after 6 weeks I could not give her up, so I'm a foster failure.

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • How could you not smile back at Bonnie?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: April 04, 2011, 01:48:07 pm »
    I understand, the rescues put a lot of time and often money into the dogs getting them healthy and through their trauma, they do not want all their work to be undone by the wrong adopter, and there are some real horror stories out there. The good thing about getting a dog from a rescue versus the shelter is you know exactly what you are getting, any physical/emotional problems, training issues. When you get a dog from a shelter you often do not know what the dog will really be like until they've been away from the shelter a few weeks. I also tried fostering a dog, when the rescue found her a home after 6 weeks I could not give her up, so I'm a foster failure.

I just didn't care for the "be first or you lose" procedure of the one shelter.

I now have a crate.  Nancy, my former breeder, sent me a link to a new posting on Craig's List this morning.  I had been thinking wire, but Nancy recommended Remington crates:

My bro beagle (1954-1966).  I still miss him big time.
    His last collar hangs on my bedpost.

Offline stever

• View Profile
      • Steve's e-books
    « Reply #30 on: April 04, 2011, 01:52:51 pm »
    I should?  Should I?  I love dogs.  They seem to at least like me...

No.
    Steve Redgwell :)
    My paper books
    www.303british.com

Steve's e-books & e-stories - Amazon

Some people are like slinkies...Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs...

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: April 04, 2011, 02:07:38 pm »
    Of course you should!  You have thought it through, are not a first-time owner, are familiar with the breed you want, have the time, energy and personal space to devote to another being, sound like you want the companionship and have the love to share.

I hope you find the perfect fur-baby for you and have many happy years together.

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
      • View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: April 04, 2011, 02:42:07 pm »

Offline caseyf6

• View Profile
      • Passages-- On the Brink and Diving In
    « Reply #33 on: April 04, 2011, 04:25:23 pm »
    I love the idea of you getting a dog; I wouldn't want to live alone without at least a pet.  The shelter place you described didn't sound like an organization I would like, either, honestly.  BUT maybe you can look up Border rescue societies?   Keep looking for a rescue-- you have not been loved forever, IMO, the way you will be by a rescue.

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: April 04, 2011, 04:38:45 pm »
    I would look for a Border Terrier rescue in your area. I understand wanting a specific breed but there are many rescue organizations that work with specific breeds. The nice thing about rescued dogs/ shelter dogs is that you are giving a needy dog a loving home, and save money. If you are not going to show the dog then a rescue dog is a nice way to help a dog in need of a home, find a great companion. Maybe you could ask Nancy if she knows of any Border Terrier rescues in your area.

Offline Amyshojai

• North Texas
    • Pet Info-Tainment & Pet-Centric Thrillers!
      • View Profile
      • Amy's Pet Peeves Newsletter
    « Reply #35 on: April 04, 2011, 04:43:05 pm »
    This is so exciting! Hurray YOU! Love the Border Terriers, they're so "old man" wise yet with that twinkle in their eyes. Good choice on the crate--and you'll be getting an adult so shouldn't have the problem with house training. Ping me with any doggy questions, and happy to help if I can.

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: April 04, 2011, 04:50:43 pm »
    One last thing and then I will shut up.

Not all rescues are the same. Caya was adopted from a rescue that allowed you to apply at the store, go through an interview, and take the dog home that day. Cooper was adopted from a rescue that allowed you to apply at the store, they reviewed the application and interviewed you, they conducted a home check, you had to go through a 40 minute long orientation/training session, then you could bring the dog home.

Cooper was much more difficult but the process struck me as fair. The home check was essentially looking for where you were going to let the dog sleep, is the environment safe, do you have a ton of other pets, and a basic sanity check. It also prevents people from visiting a pet store on the day of an adoption event and bringing home a dog on impulse.

It might be a bit more challenging, you have to find a rescue organization that you like and go through their process, but you are helping to give a dog a home who has had it a bit harder then other dogs.

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
      • View Profile
    « Reply #37 on: April 04, 2011, 04:54:25 pm »
    I'm letting Nancy "look around" for me as she is still active in the Border Terrier community in this area though she no longer breeds them.  Don't know what age I might get.  Ribbon was a few months old, not a "baby" when I got her.  That was good.  I'm OK with as much as a couple years.  Wait and see who calls / what happens.

Offline *DrDLN* (dr.s.dhillon)

• Mtn House, CA
    • Self-help and Spiritual Living
      • View Profile
      • "HEALTH and LOVE is your birth-right" Series
    « Reply #38 on: April 04, 2011, 05:58:38 pm »
    I will say no in favor of real partner, company and love..LOL

Offline Amyshojai

• North Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #39 on: April 04, 2011, 06:00:52 pm »
    Uhm...well, my dog (and cat) offer me real love, real companionship, and actually are real partners in my business.

I will say the husband grooms and walks himself, LOL!

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
      • View Profile
    « Reply #40 on: April 04, 2011, 06:16:29 pm »
    Uhm...well, my dog (and cat) offer me real love, real companionship, and actually are real partners in my business.

I will say the husband grooms and walks himself, LOL!

LOL

Offline Liz57

• View Profile
    « Reply #41 on: April 04, 2011, 07:52:17 pm »
    Sandpiper you sound like a perfect dog owner, and the dog that comes into your life is a lucky one indeed. I have two dogs, an Australian workig dog (Kelpie) and a little West Highland Terrier. They are just wonderful and I adore them. Dogs give you so much. But yes, they can be alot of work in the beginning.

In regards to the crate, if you end up with an older dog you may not need the crate. I used a crate and crate training with my Westie as soon as I got her - she was 16 weeks old. But if an older dog is trained, house trained and not used to a crate they might find it awful. Just a thought. I'd only use a crate with a puppy.

Anyway, I'm so excited for you regardless of where you get your dog from. I look forward to reading more about him/her and seeing some photos hopefully! Its also really great that you found that breeder from all those years ago, and how nice of her to help you find a dog )

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
      • View Profile
    « Reply #42 on: April 04, 2011, 09:37:41 pm »
    Anyway, I'm so excited for you regardless of where you get your dog from. I look forward to reading more about him/her and seeing some photos hopefully! Its also really great that you found that breeder from all those years ago, and how nice of her to help you find a dog )

:)

Offline Vegas_Asian

• Sin City
    • I know KungFu and 50 other dangerous words!!!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #43 on: April 04, 2011, 09:48:28 pm »
    I definitely support getting a dog but in the spirit of full disclosure I should tell you I have 6, and have had as many as 8, all rescues.  :) Someone else posted a Petfinder link for you, there is any kind of dog you could want out there in a shelter or rescue needing a home, easy to find on Petfinder. Most of mine came from a shelter because I like to get the "unadoptable" dogs, but one of mine I got from a rescue. I was looking for very particular personality traits to go with one of my dogs. I went through the 7 page application, the phone interview, and the home interview before I was accepted. I understand, the rescues put a lot of time and often money into the dogs getting them healthy and through their trauma, they do not want all their work to be undone by the wrong adopter, and there are some real horror stories out there. The good thing about getting a dog from a rescue versus the shelter is you know exactly what you are getting, any physical/emotional problems, training issues. When you get a dog from a shelter you often do not know what the dog will really be like until they've been away from the shelter a few weeks. I also tried fostering a dog, when the rescue found her a home after 6 weeks I could not give her up, so I'm a foster failure.
    this is my family's biggest fear when we were talking about fostering. We live across the street from a dog park and know a lot of people that foster. I have seen foster dogs get adopted, the new owners will meet the fosters at the dog park to mini reunions. If you live near a dog park, people there are usually more than willing to advice on shelters and so forth. Often they know of a people looking for homes for dogs too

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
      • View Profile
    « Reply #44 on: April 07, 2011, 07:00:50 pm »
    I am getting a Border Terrier puppy from a breeder in the area in app. mid August.

Offline MichelleR

• MN
      • View Profile
    « Reply #45 on: April 07, 2011, 07:02:57 pm »
    Congratulations! You know I was rooting for rescue, but I know you're going to provide a great home.  :)
    Michelle
    Well we all shine on

Offline Casse

• View Profile
    « Reply #46 on: April 07, 2011, 07:31:44 pm »
    Congrats!!!!!! There is nothing wrong at all with purchasing a puppy from a reputable breeder  :)

Offline Amyshojai

• North Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #47 on: April 07, 2011, 07:42:04 pm »
    Congratulations! Oooooooh, puppy breath!  ;D  That gives you time to plan and anticipate and share pictures and and and...Enjoy!

Offline MichelleR

• MN
      • View Profile
    « Reply #48 on: April 07, 2011, 07:43:42 pm »
    Oooooooh, puppy breath!  ;D

I know, like cocoa! Jealous.
    Michelle
    Well we all shine on

Offline Tam

• Central PA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #49 on: April 07, 2011, 09:02:29 pm »
    I haven't been able to be online much for the last few days ans was so glad to check back here and seeyour good news. Looking forward to seeing then puppy pics!
    I came for the info on Kindles, I stay for the "Crazy Insane Purse Thread!"

KBoards.com

• Advertisement