Author Topic: Should I get a dog? I did.  (Read 73763 times)  

Offline spotsmom

• Sunriver, Oregon
    • View Profile
Re: Should I get a dog?
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2011, 09:04:20 pm »
Please do not give in before August and go to a pet shop for a puppy.  If you need horror stories from puppy mills, let me know and I'll tell you more than you want to know.  Everyone who suggested Border Terrier Rescue (or petfinder) is right.  Give an older dog a second chance.

I know all about puppy breath, however, and just hope you can hang on until August!!  Puppy paws smell like popcorn.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • How could you not smile back at Bonnie?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #51 on: April 07, 2011, 09:04:41 pm »
    Congratulations! Oooooooh, puppy breath!  ;D  That gives you time to plan and anticipate and share pictures and and and...Enjoy!

And learn how to use the "fancy" (though not DSLR) digital camera I got last year.  'Bout time.

My bro beagle (1954-1966).  I still miss him big time.
    His last collar hangs on my bedpost.

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
      • View Profile
    « Reply #52 on: April 07, 2011, 09:13:23 pm »
    Please do not give in before August and go to a pet shop for a puppy.  If you need horror stories from puppy mills, let me know and I'll tell you more than you want to know.  Everyone who suggested Border Terrier Rescue (or petfinder) is right.  Give an older dog a second chance.

I won't go to a pet shop (or shelter or rescue -- sorry).  I told the breeder I would take one of hers.  (The parents haven't even met quite yet.)  Want to keep my word unless there's some drastic reason not to.  Thought she might want a deposit, but no. 

So until August I have more time to read.  I have a number of good books (plus one more  ;) ) on my Ks.

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
      • View Profile
    « Reply #53 on: April 07, 2011, 09:23:04 pm »
    HELP with a name !!

As my breeds are Beagles and Borders, I'm looking for one syllable name that starts with a B for a male.  I want a male.  So far I do kind of like Becque.  Or maybe Bret.  Becque better of the two.

Anyone -- pros and cons for getting male or female (dog)?

I heard a name for a female on TV last night that I like a lot -- Belle.  If I do end up with female, that IS the name. 

Offline MichelleR

• MN
      • View Profile
    « Reply #54 on: April 07, 2011, 09:33:29 pm »
    Puppy paws smell like popcorn.

Dear spotsmom,

You are clearly mistaken in that they smell like Fritos.  :D

Sincerely,
    Mom to Ferguson the Sheltie, Rhiannon the Greyhound Who Had 6 Teeth Pulled the Other Day, Violet AKA Violence the Dachshund, and Dixie The Demon Cat.
    Michelle
    Well we all shine on
    Like the moon and the stars and the sun

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #55 on: April 08, 2011, 06:41:10 am »
    I am getting a Border Terrier puppy from a breeder in the area in app. mid August.

Congratulations!
    Words with Friends: Jane917

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline N. Gemini Sasson

• Springfield, Ohio
      • View Profile
      • N. Gemini Sasson
    « Reply #56 on: April 08, 2011, 06:46:16 am »
    You are clearly mistaken in that they smell like Fritos.  :D

Puppy breath smells like bologna.

N. Gemini Sasson | Website | Blog | Facebook

Offline angelmum3

• View Profile
    « Reply #57 on: April 08, 2011, 07:21:16 am »
    I just didn't care for the "be first or you lose" procedure of the one shelter.

I now have a crate.  Nancy, my former breeder, sent me a link to a new posting on Craig's List this morning.  I had been thinking wire, but Nancy recommended Remington crates:

Perfect Crate! 
    (and I rec going to JoAnnFabric store and picking thru the remnants and getting a fleece throw for the crate - since you are getting a puppy - really?  a puppy?  How cute!  anyway, I've been working for Project Linus, and the extra fleece we "braid" and knot for a chew toy - You can buy those ropes at the Pet stores - my puppy chews those apart in 10 minutes - so not kidding, but the fleece, he just throws it up and shakes it and brings it to me to throw - then he grabs it, shakes it, throws it up himself - really really cute!)

Also for a name - Belle for a girl for sure!!

and male vs female - I have only owned females, I love females - they dont spray, they dont run away, they dont have to pee every single step you take - HOWEVER, the rescue we have now, well, he's a male!!  BUT, he does pee like a girl!! (lol - someone said it was because he was spayed young - but the vet said some dogs just do it that way!)

Now get this - we watched one of those training videos, and since I got him around Christmas, we tried it - we hung a bell on our door - so for the first month we had him to potty train, we kept on a schedule - and he only had a few accidents - BUT, each time we went out we touched the bell, rang it, and said outside - then once outside we do say "potty - hurry up" then we walk him - so I walk to exercise, not to eliminate, so he didnt get the 2 confused...

now of course, I'm so amazed that he does on his own ring that bell to go out!!  (and dh thinks he rings it just to look outside, or if he's bored, but, I so love that he rings a bell to go out!!)

One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
    Helen Keller

Offline angelmum3

• View Profile
    « Reply #58 on: April 08, 2011, 07:23:57 am »
    so anyway - I'm excited for you!!

You have a lot of love to give a dog, and a dog has lots of love to give in return!

dont worry about male vs female, it sounds like you getting in touch with the breeder was an excellent notion -

Cant wait to see how it all works out, but really August seems like a long time to wait!! ;)
    Helen Keller

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
      • View Profile
    « Reply #59 on: April 08, 2011, 07:29:33 am »
    Angelmum, I'm going to try hanging a bell on my door knob or some such.  Good idea.  Smart dog.  

Offline angelmum3

• View Profile
    « Reply #60 on: April 08, 2011, 08:44:59 am »
    knowing your reading habits Sandpiper - you will find your own way!  I also enjoy watching Its Me or the Dog - for how she helps families with training - the gentle, kind approach...

I know there are lots of choices for food - I posted in the adopting poodle thread about what our vet and rescue group recommended Canidae http://www.canidae.com/dogs/all_life_stages/dry.html  I think for me with all the different dogs and food, the one thing that I am amazed about is how little (comparison) (1/2 C am & 1/2C pm) food, and how good his digestion handles it!  Like clockwork!  2 - 3 times a day!  I know the vet said to look at the holistic but to go with the foods that have high protein, and be careful of food coloring (apparently Science Diet dogfood has food coloring?  Blue Buffalo and Nutro also get high praises - I buy the dogfood from a "mom and pop" pet store - they carry Canidae for the same price at Pet Supplies Plus... and they have a return customer appreciation - when I buy 10 bags I get 11th free... !  There are so many choices - lots to research!

I have to add, about the Kong - I've taken to giving him his peanut butter kong while I eat my breakfast (and surf online) well, its become a game - since he plays with it, I lose it, I made him "go find" and he did - so now its a routine - he has to bring it to me when I tap the peanut butter container - he runs around, and runs around, then brings me the kong...

so I am a crazy dog owner!  (or my dog found just the right human to train!)
    Helen Keller

Offline *DrDLN* (dr.s.dhillon)

• Mtn House, CA
    • Self-help and Spiritual Living
      • View Profile
      • "HEALTH and LOVE is your birth-right" Series
    « Reply #61 on: April 08, 2011, 08:52:51 am »
    Answer is still No...LOL

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #62 on: April 08, 2011, 09:12:06 am »
    We are feeding our dogs Blue food. Caya gets Blue Wilderness Salmon and Cooper gets Blue Puppy Lamb and Oatmeal. I like that they don't use any fillers and that they use a good amount of protein. Recently, we have cut Caya back to two meals of 1/2 cup of dog food and 1/2 cup of green beans. The beans are low cal but fill her up and she really likes them.

There are a lot of good quality dog foods out there so I am sure you will find one that you like. In my opinion it is better to buy a more expensive but great food then buy a less expensive ok food. It was recommended to me that I find a food that lists some sort of protein as the first ingredient and that it is best if there are at least two proteins listed in the first five ingredients. The more expensive foods tend to require smaller servings in order to get the dog the same nutritional amounts as the less exensive foods with lots of filler. And the poops are smaller.

My dogs love Kong toys. They have become their primary toy, mainly because Cooper can chew through anything. The toys rated 10 out of 10 for toughness, take him a day or two to get through. Caya would take 6 months to get through the same toy. So far his Kongs have been holding up well. We he hit the 6 month mark we got him a Galileo bone but we wanted to wait until we knew his teeth were fully in and developed.

Offline cc84

• UK
    • My fab Noah ♥
      • View Profile
    « Reply #63 on: April 08, 2011, 12:41:55 pm »
    Well good on you, I look forward to pics and stuff.  :)
    What will I be doing in twenty years' time? I'll be dead, darling! Are you crazy? - When I'm dead, I want to be remembered as a musician of some worth and substance. - The reason we're successful, darling? My overall charisma, of course. - The others don't like my interviews. And frankly, I don't care much for theirs. - Money may not buy happiness, but it can damn well give it! - I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me. - I dress to kill, but tastefully - I won't be a rock star. I will be a legend.

Quotes by the amazing Freddie Mercury ♥

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
      • View Profile
    « Reply #64 on: April 09, 2011, 04:26:34 pm »
    Update.  I talked with another breeder in the area this morning.  His Border is delivering this week, so . . . I am getting one of his.  He is expecting tan grizzle (which I'd prefer, but doesn't really matter) as opposed to blue & tan expected by other breeder.  Time frame for me now is late June as opposed to mid August.  

I learned a male dog is a dog.  So I want a dog.  Or do I want a dog dog?   ;D

Think I'm starting all over with names.   ???

Offline stever

• View Profile
      • Steve's e-books
    « Reply #65 on: April 10, 2011, 09:33:13 am »
    ?

You asked a question.  I responded. You'll just have to make up your own mind.
    Steve Redgwell :)
    My paper books
    www.303british.com

Steve's e-books & e-stories - Amazon

Some people are like slinkies...Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs...

Offline angelmum3

• View Profile
    « Reply #66 on: April 10, 2011, 09:41:54 am »
    Update.  I talked with another breeder in the area this morning.  His Border is delivering this week, so . . . I am getting one of his.  He is expecting tan grizzle (which I'd prefer, but doesn't really matter) as opposed to blue & tan expected by other breeder.  Time frame for me now is late June as opposed to mid August.  

I learned a male dog is a dog.  So I want a dog.  Or do I want a dog dog?   ;D

Think I'm starting all over with names.   ???

I was telling dh about your search - he asked how you would pick one breeder over another (since you were waiting until August) It sounds like dogs are on your mind - I'm sure the breeder will help you pick too - I know there is a book Puppy for Dummies (because my son bought it for me!) that talks about picking a puppy - Puppies are a lot of work, but again, just too cute! 

Right now my Zeus is laying next to me on the couch (I gave in, but I do keep a sheet thrown over my couch because I cant seem to keep the dog hair off - I've tried everything, mostly I buy the tape on a roller, and roll daily - vacuum the couch weekly - I talked to a couple of friends that have a dyson, and they say its not worth the money - replacement costs of dyson are extraordinarily high - - I've tried other pet hair remover products on the market, but the dollar store tapey thingy works best)

Anyway - dh is camping this weekend, dd is at a sleepover, and having Z here besides me, is just too darned cute!  Yes, its work, I have to walk him (what a difference it makes!) yes, I have to keep the kleenex off the floor (why he loves kleenex is beyond me!) but he was never a chewer (other puppies do chew chair legs, etc etc)

Hope you keep us updated!!
    Helen Keller

Offline Amyshojai

• North Texas
    • Pet Info-Tainment & Pet-Centric Thrillers!
      • View Profile
      • Amy's Pet Peeves Newsletter
    « Reply #67 on: April 10, 2011, 11:53:02 am »
    Sarah Hodgson is great! (author of P-4-Dummies)

Love Victoria Stillwell, too (It's Me Or the Dog)

I'm currently working on the launch of a new about.com site on puppies so that'll have loads of free info by May (we hope). Picking breeders--you want them to quiz you and qualify you as much as you qualify them. It's great the breeder is local so you can actually visit the facilities and see how they're raised, see the temperament of the mom dog at least, and have a "mentor" on call to help out with the inevitable questions.

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
      • View Profile
    « Reply #68 on: April 10, 2011, 10:29:45 pm »
    Nancy was the breeder I got my Border from 40 years ago.  Found contact for her on-line -- so I did.  She's still in the area, but up in years a little so no longer breeding dogs.  She gave me name of two breeders in the area she knows (and gave them my name).  Those are the two I've talked to.  Getting puppy from breeder who will have them available sooner.  (Border Terrier litters average four.  I want a dog.  So not a lot to choose from.  Possibly no choice if three females, one male.)  Seems everybody in the Chicago area Border community knows everybody else.  Nancy and the two breeders all know each other.  Looks like I'm becoming part of "everybody" too.  Found a dog groomer who knows Nancy.  Owner of a dog training school in town where I am knows Nancy.  I'll have to ask her for a recommendation for a vet.  There are a few, but I know nothing about them.  Vet I liked so much in the '50s (saved the Beagle in my signature - he was near death from something Dr. Burke said was like hepatitis in humans) -- well, he is looooong gone.

Forty years ago there were very few Border breeders.  All these years later, there still aren't many.  The breed just isn't that well known in the U.S.  They originated in the British Isles -- Northumberland.  That's the England - Scotland border.  Therefore, Border Terrier.  They're very common in the British Isles.
    « Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 10:33:11 pm by Sandpiper »

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
      • View Profile
    « Reply #69 on: April 10, 2011, 10:52:27 pm »

There's a Border in England.

Offline Vegas_Asian

• Sin City
    • I know KungFu and 50 other dangerous words!!!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #70 on: April 10, 2011, 11:23:56 pm »
    Have u considered med insurance for ur dog? I know it sounds weird but my parents got it for 'our' (my *cough cough*) dog when we got her. We pay 27-ish a month and 150-200 initially.  Vaccines covered and annual teeth cleaning covered as well as her twice a year check up

Offline Amyshojai

• North Texas
    • Pet Info-Tainment & Pet-Centric Thrillers!
      • View Profile
      • Amy's Pet Peeves Newsletter
    « Reply #71 on: April 11, 2011, 05:47:49 am »
    Yes, lots of pet insurance options today. The oldest/biggest company VPI (Veterinary Pet Insurance) sort of wrote the book on the industry but there are others now. There's also Credit Care that kind of like a credit pay as you go plan. Other folks "self insure" and just put that $20 away each month in a "pet account."

Priciest time in a pet's life is babyhood, and old age. Good to plan for the worst case and then you're in clover when it doesn't happen.

Saw lots of Border Terriers at Westminster last time I attended. They're like curious little old men, so wise and "with it" and into everything! Love the James Herriot pic.

Offline Beatriz

• New York
    • Writer
      • View Profile
      • Beatrice Brusic
    « Reply #72 on: April 11, 2011, 07:34:08 am »
    I should?  Should I?  I love dogs.  They seem to at least like me.

I came a little close yesterday.  At least it made me a little more sure about it.  Went to local pet shop to get bird seed.  They always have a few mixed breed puppies.  Couple weeks ago I dreamed that I got a dachshund.  So yesterday in the pet shop they had mixed min dachsie / min pin.  I sure thought about it, but no.

There is a certain breed I want.  Border Terrier.  I had one 40 years ago.  No dog since.  Beagles and Borders -- my favs.  (Borders book store also favorite.  :))

This is my long gone Border, Ribbon.

I live in a condo.  (Dogs under 20 lbs. permitted.  Full grown Borders are app. 15 lbs.)  No longer work.  Home a lot.  NO family. 

I don't remember how we housebroke our Beagle and Border.  Today it's generally done with a crate / crate training?  Borders are smart little things.  I don't think it would be too much of a problem (hopefully).  It's said of Borders -- they're a big dog in a little dog's body. 
    get a doggie, they are good for the soul.

Beatrice Brusic | author website | blog | twitter | facebook

Offline cc84

• UK
    • My fab Noah ♥
      • View Profile
    « Reply #73 on: April 11, 2011, 10:56:46 am »
    I agree with angelmum, puppy's are hard work! I actually forgot how hard lol. And i'm glad i'm not the only one who lets mine on the sofa  :P

But having said that, i know it could be worse. Since we got him, he's rarely had any toilet accidents, he used his paper straight away. And he doesnt chew the furniture (so far!). He's 14 weeks old tomorrow and had his last injection today, so i took him for a short walk.

Sorry to hijack your thread with my dog lol. I dont see that many Border Terrier's, but apparantly my uncle got one recently although i've not seen it. I like the pics, they definately do remind me of little old men for some reason lol. I'd be tempted to give mine an older name like Albert or something  :P
    What will I be doing in twenty years' time? I'll be dead, darling! Are you crazy? - When I'm dead, I want to be remembered as a musician of some worth and substance. - The reason we're successful, darling? My overall charisma, of course. - The others don't like my interviews. And frankly, I don't care much for theirs. - Money may not buy happiness, but it can damn well give it! - I always knew I was a star And now, the rest of the world seems to agree with me. - I dress to kill, but tastefully - I won't be a rock star. I will be a legend.

Quotes by the amazing Freddie Mercury ♥

Offline MamaProfCrash

• View Profile
    « Reply #74 on: April 11, 2011, 11:22:48 am »
    Puppies are hard work but they are well worth it. We went nuts with chew toys and I think that is what has saved our possessions. Both dogs seem to like underwear and socks so my Husband has finally learned how to use the hamper. Cooper does enjoy gnawing on wood and cloth but the bitter apple has worked wonders. We can spray some of that on what he was chewing and he does not go near it again.

We realized that Cooper loves anything with a squeker in it. More precisly, he loves the squeaker and will do whatever it takes to get the squeaker out. There are some Kong balls with squeakers that seem to make him very happy and are relativly cheap so all the other squeaker toys, may the rest in pieces, have been replaced.

I figure I would rather buy a few hundred dollars worth of toys then replace a couch.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement