Author Topic: Books Recommended by our Members - April 2009  (Read 23250 times)  

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Moderators-10003
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
Books Recommended by our Members - April 2009
« on: April 01, 2009, 04:53:54 am »
Got a book you couldn't put down?  Post it here!

For the March recommendations, post here:

https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,4672.0.html

Betsy
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Jill75

• KnowLedge Is PoWer. Read a BooK ToDay!
      • View Profile
    Re: Books Recommended by our Members - April 2009
    « Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 09:53:46 pm »
    I still have a lot of books lined here to read, but will be watching this thread to see what others are reading that may interest me....

KnowLedge Is PoWer. Read a BooK ToDay!

Offline JimJ

• Bristol, VA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 03:11:46 am »
    Just finished The Local News by Miriam Gershow a few minutes ago.  Extremely good. It's the author's first novel and I now can't wait for her to write a second.  It's narrated by a girl who's brother vanishes and details the year following the disappearance and how it shapes the adult she would become. Fair warning though, it's pretty somber and depressing so if you're looking for an uplifting read, it's not for you.  I'll also add that the Kindle formatting leaves something to be desired.  It's not unreadable, but every so often they'll be a space in the middle of a word or something like that.  Also, in the sample it looked like the first chapter was blank, and the text started with chapter two (It was still chapter one, just labeled chapter two), but when I bought the book they went back to normal.  Here's the link:

Offline Linda Cannon-Mott

• Assignment #118
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 06:08:45 am »

If you are a Micheal J. Fox fan I recommend this book. If you have a loved one or a friend with Parkinson's Disease or any movement disorder this is a great book. I read Lucky Man about 10 years ago and this book is better. He captures 10 years of growth of living with a chronic disease and helping thousands of others in the process. I have laughed out loud so many times, Micheal J. Fox is a funny guy. I admire the fact that with adversity in his life he still has that rare gift of making others laugh. I have enjoyed him since Family Ties and he is the same guy mentally but not physically. Very inspiring!

Offline tylerdurden51

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 07:23:17 pm »

If you are a Micheal J. Fox fan I recommend this book. If you have a loved one or a friend with Parkinson's Disease or any movement disorder this is a great book. I read Lucky Man about 10 years ago and this book is better. He captures 10 years of growth of living with a chronic disease and helping thousands of others in the process. I have laughed out loud so many times, Micheal J. Fox is a funny guy. I admire the fact that with adversity in his life he still has that rare gift of making others laugh. I have enjoyed him since Family Ties and he is the same guy mentally but not physically. Very inspiring!

my friend has parkinson's. i'll have to check this out
    Knowledge is power!

Offline Seamonkey

• Fountain Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • TV Clubhouse
    « Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 08:12:16 pm »
    I'm about halfway through Always Looking Up.. would also recommend it.

** Non-Fiction **
    « Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 04:48:45 am by Seamonkey »

(Make your own reading bar)

SeaSnork on Words with Friends

Offline MichelleR

• MN
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 09:03:00 pm »

About 2/3rds through Always Looking Up, and I also recommend it.  :D

Michelle
    Well we all shine on
    Like the moon and the stars and the sun

Offline worktolive

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 07:33:06 am »
    My book club picked this book for April and I just finished it. It's a first novel and I was surprised at how good it was. The narrator, Bessy, has a unique voice (she's quite bawdy) and perspective and the book is a real page turner. Although the description makes it sound like a serious drama, it isn't really like that at all thanks to the way Bessy narrates the story.

From Amazon: "Bessy Buckley comes upon Castle Haivers on her way to Edinburgh in 1863. An Irish girl, she's in "Scratchland" to improve her station, and ends up a scullery maid to a strange, lovely mistress, Arabella Reid (on whom she develops something of a crush), despite her lack of experience. Bessy's discovery of Arabella's book, The Observations, which she is writing about servants she's had and their cooperativeness, tests her loyalty to Arabella ("the missus") five-fold and sets in motion a tragedy (complete with supernatural elements). Bessy learns that being above-stairs is no guarantee of happiness, and others may have as much to hide as she does. Sharp, funny and tender-hearted, Bessy is an accomplishment for Londoner and first-time novelist Harris, who also manages the pace, period and book-within-a-book conceit nicely."

Offline KindleKay (aka #1652)

• AR
    • http://www.KindleKay.wordpress.com
      • View Profile
      • The World Through My Eyes.... Blog
    « Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 08:27:14 am »
    OK- I will be the first to admit that I started on this series in between books, and because March had a special where you bought book 5 and got 6 for free.  I liked them enough to go back and read books 1-4.  I am now on book 4 and, I must admit, that it is a revelation to me!  Strange, I know.  How can a werewolf/action/romance/fluffy book be a revelation?  Well, I guess because I have read enough about Kitty, that now I have gotten to #4, I identify with her.  In book 4: "Kitty and the Silver Bullet", Kitty is facing many life obstacles: a miscarriage, her mom's battle with breast cancer, a former pack alpha's abuse of a girl in the pack, her talk show, and many other things that crash down on life.  This is fiction and, lets face it: it is about a werewolf.  But in a revealing conversation with her mother, Kitty's mom spoke some important truths about life.  I have a lot going on in my life as well right now and Kitty's moms words went straight to my heart.  Isn't this one of the coolest things about a book?  When the words you are reading strike a cord with what is going on with your life?  I actually used my Kindle's highlight feature so that I can find these words again easily!  (Yea, Kindle)

Anyway, I just thought that I would share that.  For those of you interested, Kitty is very much like the Stephanie Plum character.  Funny, witty, finds herself in strange situations that she wishes she weren't in.  I would venture to say that if you like Stephanie, you will like Kitty as well.

Here is the link for book #4- NOTE- this is the book link, for some reason, link maker didn't find the Kindle version......

And here is the link for the first book of the series (this link IS the Kindle version)...

eBay Kindle 1 Auction Won 1.29.09
    Shipped from seller 1.30.09
    K1 Delivered  2.2.09
    K2 Ordered 7.12.09 
    K1 Sold 7.13.09
    K2 Delivered 7.14.09
    The Best Kindle 1 Watch Story EVER- MINE!
    My Goodreads account, be my friend!

Offline tylerdurden51

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 09:43:06 am »
    i have book A.D.D. i always have to have 3-5 going at once so i dont get burnt out.

the only books that got me going and i could read the whole thing in one sitting was "anamorphs" when i was a kid. i loved those books. i got a new one every few weeks and read it cover to cover in a day every time.
    Knowledge is power!

Offline drenee

• West Virginia
    • Member 527
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 10:33:16 am »
    i have book A.D.D. i always have to have 3-5 going at once so i dont get burnt out.

the only books that got me going and i could read the whole thing in one sitting was "anamorphs" when i was a kid. i loved those books. i got a new one every few weeks and read it cover to cover in a day every time.
    I've never heard it described as book ADD, but I would have to agree.  I believe I have 4 or 5 going at the same time right now.  I do recall reading the Little House series straight through as a child.  And even as an adult...shhh.
    deb
    Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life.

WwF  DRA60
    Miss you, Dona, Jeff and Harvey.

Offline worktolive

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 11:51:53 am »
    I love the Kitty werewolf books. I'm up to number 5 Kitty and the Dead Man's Hand, but have been holding off so I have something to look forward to.

If you like the Kitty books, and you haven't already read Patricia Briggs, you'll like hers too. She has 2 werewolf series that are interconnected but can be read independently. I found her books first, then found the Kitty books. The Mercy Thompson series starts with Moon Called:

and the Alpha and Omega series starts with a novella that was originally published in an anthology but can be downloaded separately.

I loved all of these. There's just no substitute for good, solid writing skills. So many of the books out there are just not very well-written, and this seems to be a particular problem in "genre" books. I don't care how good the plot is, if the writing is not up to par and the author can't develop the characters, I just won't enjoy the book. Another reason to love my Kindle - downloading samples has been great for weeding out books that aren't well-written. I don't need the plot to develop right away - I'm willing to read at least 75-100 pages for that, but you can tell immediately if the writing is going to be good or not.

Offline Silver

• View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 03:36:50 pm »
    I just finished The Stranger House, and I loved it!  Even though I thought it started a bit slow, I couldn't stop reading.  The author's style just sucked me right in.  I found myself saying, "what?", and then hanging in to find out what the heck was going on.  I think it has enough twists and turns to satisfy most pure mystery lovers, plus a bit of romance and lots of humor (very English and Australian).  Or maybe it's just quirky enough to appeal to me. 

Offline chynared21

• Phew...Teninx found his tinfoil hat!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 05:55:08 pm »
    I just finished The Stranger House, and I loved it!  Even though I thought it started a bit slow, I couldn't stop reading.  The author's style just sucked me right in.  I found myself saying, "what?", and then hanging in to find out what the heck was going on.  I think it has enough twists and turns to satisfy most pure mystery lovers, plus a bit of romance and lots of humor (very English and Australian).  Or maybe it's just quirky enough to appeal to me. 

Thanks for your review Silver...I had purchased this one a while back but haven't gotten around to it yet. I love book that have me scratching my head trying to figure something out...keeps you guessing and coming back for more :-)

Offline bebobthefrog

• View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: April 05, 2009, 10:50:42 am »
    I finished this book and thought it was funny and interesting. It has received good reviews on Amazon.
    --The Unlikely Disciple: A Sinner's Semester at America's Holiest University
    « Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 02:36:49 pm by Betsy the Quilter »

Offline sigrosenblum

• View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: April 05, 2009, 11:03:41 am »
    Most of the recommendations by our esteemed members are current titles. And my guess is that most of those are fiction. I understand. But I'm going to point to a quite different category from time to time: neglected non-fiction classics. And by that I mean neglected today. I only hope I am not tarred and feathered verbally or run out of town on a digital rail.

My first candidate is for the drama and theater crowd. It's "Run-Through: A Memoir," by John Houseman. Much here about that theatrical titan, Orson Welles. And it will surprise you.

Sig
    http://sigrosenblum.7p.com/
    Sig Rosenblum: Author of  Assignment in Antibua, From War to War: 1918-1939, and others. Thanks for checking my Website: http://sigrosenblum.7p.com/

Offline KarenB

• Tri-Cities, Tennessee
    • Struggling knitting store owner meets man with ED
      • View Profile
      • My author website
    « Reply #16 on: April 05, 2009, 11:30:48 am »
    I'm really enjoying a book by Christie Craig called Divorced, Desperate and Delicious
    Here's the link:

Trixie
    Karen B
    Now available on Kindle

Offline marianneg

• Dallas, TX
      • View Profile
      • Mariannerisms: my ramblings about books, TV, and life
    « Reply #17 on: April 05, 2009, 11:44:29 am »
    My first candidate is for the drama and theater crowd. It's "Run-Through: A Memoir," by John Houseman. Much here about that theatrical titan, Orson Welles. And it will surprise you.

Sounds good, but it isn't available for Kindle.  In fact, it looks like it isn't available at all except for a few used copies in the Marketplace.

I'm almost done with, and strongly recommend, How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie.  This is the copy I bought, but I think it was scanned in and badly OCR'd.  There are more editions available now that might be better, although I'm not sure about the legality of them.
    Read my blog about books, TV, and my life at mariannerisms.wordpress.com
    Follow me on Twitter
    Follow me on Pinterest
    Friend me at Goodreads

Offline sigrosenblum

• View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: April 05, 2009, 11:56:21 am »
    Sounds good, but it isn't available for Kindle.  In fact, it looks like it isn't available at all except for a few used copies in the Marketplace.

I'm almost done with, and strongly recommend, How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie.  This is the copy I bought, but I think it was scanned in and badly OCR'd.  There are more editions available now that might be better, although I'm not sure about the legality of them.

Carnegie's book was a blockbuster best-seller for decades. And it spawned classes that were equally popular. As for the Houseman book, I am not surprised that it is OOP. But I am sure that there are reviews and used copies.

Unless you all consider this treason, heresy and sabotage, I am not measuring these books by their Kindleization. But simply their intrinsic worth--and the pleasure they provide.

Of course, if this vantage point is verboten, I will switch to Kindled works only. But that would be a shame.

Weigh in, please.

Sig

Sig Rosenblum: Author of  Assignment in Antibua, From War to War: 1918-1939, and others. Thanks for checking my Website: http://sigrosenblum.7p.com/

Online Ann in Arlington

• Super Moderators-5
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: April 05, 2009, 12:04:02 pm »
    For the most part, I think people are looking for Kindle recommendations.  That said, a lot of us still read paper books.  So I guess I'd just say that if you're recommending something that's not kindled, say so.

But, yeah, non-fiction recommendations are great. . .I think Michael Fox's new book has been recommended for instance. . . .

Oh.  And we like links.  :D

Ann

My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline worktolive

• View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: April 05, 2009, 01:33:37 pm »
    I love nonfiction recommendations - I usually alternate between fiction and non. I also don't mind recommendations that are non-Kindled and/or older. After all, a good book is a good book. However, I tend to automatically assume that the book is easily available and in Kindle format, so if it isn't, it would be helpful if that were noted in the original posting.

Please, keep the recommendations coming, I've found so many good books that I'd never otherwise heard of through these threads.

Offline sigrosenblum

• View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: April 05, 2009, 04:06:19 pm »
    If you are at all interested in Freud, the very best authoritative introduction to my mind is Charles Brenner's. This remarkable teacher and clinician died recently and left a rich legacy. There is no Kindle Edition of this outstanding work. Easy to read. Enduring. But not likely to reverse the current bias against Freud and his brainchild.

Sig

Offline Seamonkey

• Fountain Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • TV Clubhouse
    « Reply #22 on: April 06, 2009, 04:44:23 am »
    I read this recently, too, and really enjoyed it.  This younger author did quite a good job of observing the students, living with them, really participating and surprising himself very much at what he ended up taking away as a good thing, also surprised at what he accepted at times (and was somewhat horrified at that. 

I liked that while he did go in with a certain mindset, he opened up to the experience, rather than just judging it.

And yes, some very humorous passages as well. 

** Non-Fiction **

I finished this book and thought it was funny and interesting. It has received good reviews on Amazon.
    --The Unlikely Disciple: A Sinner's Semester at America's Holiest University
    « Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 04:52:18 am by Seamonkey »

(Make your own reading bar)

SeaSnork on Words with Friends

Offline auntmarge

• New Jersey
      • View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: April 06, 2009, 10:02:00 am »
    Revise the World: http://www.bookviewcafe.com/index.php/Brenda-Clough/Novels/
    This books is free if read on your computer, $4.99 for pdf download.  It's 500 pages (about 6800 Kindle lines), and after reading a couple of chapters I was happy to pay the download fee.  Here is my LibraryThing review:

1912: Titus Oates, an actual member of Scott's doomed South Pole Expedition, is dying of starvation and gangrene and walks into the blizzard to die and give his comrades a better chance to survive. 

2045: Titus is revived by scientists attempting to prove the efficacy of time-travel without altering the past.  Oates' body was never found in Antarctica, and knowing this, the scientists have traveled back to snatch him before he dies in the blizzard.  The reason for the time-travel experiment? - to determine if a faster-than-light, time-traveling drive is safe for use in space travel.  The specifications for the drive have been received from a distant planet, and modern society would like to visit the alien civilization and return to report to Earth within the span of only a few years.

Titus awakens into a world he cannot comprehend.  The language is the same, but usage and terminology for all the intervening years renders most sentences unintelligible.  Constant and instant communication, medical miracles (his rotting limbs have all been cloned and replaced), total equality of race, gender and orientation, and scientific marvels, all are a challenge to his notions of reality, propriety, and his place in life.  Much of the books is concerned with his struggles to find trust and purpose again.  His rescuers fear for his sanity, and there are many times he must readjust his judgments and attitudes lest he succumb.  At one point he tries to find a way to return to the past and die as was meant.  He falls in love with one of his doctors, makes friends and some enemies, revolts and runs, tries again, watches his lover sail off in space for a years-long mission to the distant planet, decides to try again to be an explorer and meaningful member of society.  The last third of the book takes place 8 years later, with Titus almost fully integrated into 21st century life and embarking on a final huge adventure.

Titus is a fascinating character, an Edwardian gentleman adjusting to an egalitarian, space-age, consensus-ruled society.  The author has researched the realities of early 20th century Antarctic exploration, and her imagining of a far future life for one of them is creative and realistic, with natural dialogue.  The 500 pages go by quickly, and the last 100 are almost guaranteed to be read in one sitting.   Highly recommended!

Offline Anju No. 469

• Lakeside, Mexico
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: April 06, 2009, 03:07:29 pm »
    Just finished Barracuda by Mike Monahan.  I might have learned more about the equipment of diving than I cared to but the story, the writing, the descriptions were excellent. 

It is about a NYPD detective who was "sent" to the South Sea islands as a recovery tool and ended up in quite an adventure, with various and assundry divers.  I had always enjoyed the Jacques Cousteau TV series and this seemed to emulate some of them.  Of course, good guys, bad guys, girls, friends, shysters, plus a barracuda (I didn't know they were in the South Seas, thought only in South America) etc., all make this a very enjoyable read that I had difficulty in putting down.  I am very much looking forward to his next book.

Oh yes, 99 cents right now, worth a whole lot more.
    Dona
    on the shores of Lake Chapala, Mexico

KBoards.com

• Advertisement