Author Topic: Books Recommended by our Members - April 2009  (Read 23248 times)  

Offline GreenThumb

• Spokane, WA
    • View Profile
    • Linda's Garden
Re: Books Recommended by our Members - April 2009
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2009, 03:43:34 pm »
and the Alpha and Omega series starts with a novella that was originally published in an anthology but can be downloaded separately.

Oooh, thanks for posting that!  I have read all the Mercy Thompson books, and have the first Alpha and Omega, but haven't started it yet.  I'll read this novella first.  I love this board!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Leslie

• Member 24!
    • Maine, USA
    • Kindle Paperwhite for Dummies available now!
      • View Profile
      • Maine Desk
    « Reply #26 on: April 07, 2009, 03:34:40 am »
    I have mentioned this book in other threads, but now that I have finished it, it is definitely going on my recommended for the month list.

It's a historical romance (m/m) that takes place in New York City right after World War I. The author has some great characterizations and really snappy dialog. There are a few places where difficult situations pop up and they are resolved a mite too quickly -- I could have used a bit more tension -- but that's a minor quibble. Overall, I'd give this book 4.5 out of 5 stars.

This is a romance but there is no sex beyond a few kisses and implications of what is going on, ie, "the bed was unmade." So, for the chaste readers in the group, give this one a go. You won't be disappointed.

Leslie Nicoll

Offline drenee

• West Virginia
    • Member 527
      • View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: April 08, 2009, 04:31:05 pm »
    I may be wrong, but I think that's what m/m means.
    Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life.

WwF  DRA60
    Miss you, Dona, Jeff and Harvey.

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Moderators-10003
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #28 on: April 08, 2009, 04:35:46 pm »
    I may be wrong, but I think that's what m/m means.

You are correct.   :)

Betsy
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline CS

• Parts Unknown
    • Five-Star Ranking Agent 337
      • View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: April 08, 2009, 06:45:54 pm »
    How to Win Friends and Influence People[/i] by Dale Carnegie.  

I'm surprised this isn't available for free on sites like feedbooks.com, manybooks.net, mobileread.com, etc.

Offline LindaW

• New Jersey
      • View Profile
    « Reply #30 on: April 09, 2009, 06:59:47 am »
    Just finished "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett.  Wonderful book!

Some Reviews
    The Help by Kathryn Stockett is a story that made me weep as I rejoiced for each of humanitys small but steady triumphs over hate and fear. I will never forget this wonderful book.
    Dorothea Benton Frank

A magical novel. Heartbreaking and oh so true, the voices of these characters, their lives and struggles will stay with you long after you reluctantly come to the end.
    Robert Hicks, New York Times bestselling author of The Widow of the South

I love The Help. Kathryn Stockett has given us glorious characters and a powerful, truth-filled story. Abilene, Minny and Skeeter, show that people from this troubled time came together despite their differences and that ordinary women can be heroic.
    Jill Conner Browne, #1 New York Times Bestselling Author of The Sweet Potato Queens series and resident of Jackson, MS

Set in the rural South of the 1960's, THE HELP is a startling, resonant portrait of the intertwined lives of women on opposite sides of the racial divide. Stockett's many gifts a keen eye for character, a wicked sense of humor, the perfect timing of a natural born storyteller shine as she evokes a time and place when black women were expected to help raise white babies, and yet could not use the same bathroom as their employers. Her characters, both white and black, are so fully fleshed they practically breathe no stock villains or pious heroines here. I'm becoming an evangelist for The Help. Don't miss this wise and astonishing debut.
    Joshilyn Jackson, Bestselling author of Gods in Alabama

A wonderful book. A compelling and comically poignant tale about three women, and a time and a place that is in many ways very much still with us.
    Beth Henley, Pulitzer Prize winning playwright of Crimes of the Heart
    K1 - Dragonfly

Offline Leslie

• Member 24!
    • Maine, USA
      • View Profile
      • Maine Desk
    « Reply #31 on: April 09, 2009, 07:07:40 am »
    It probably should have a warning about the underlying gay story line.

I am not sure why one would need a "warning" about a gay love story. I said m/m, sorry if you didn't know what that meant. The Amazon description says " but success brings its own risks for two men falling in love." I think that makes the nature of the romance pretty obvious.

L

Leslie Nicoll

Offline Mike D. aka jmiked

• Terra firma
      • View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: April 09, 2009, 07:33:30 am »
    I said m/m, sorry if you didn't know what that meant. The Amazon description says " but success brings its own risks for two men falling in love." I think that makes the nature of the romance pretty obvious.

L

The description did make it obvious , but if I had just seen the "m/m" I wouldnt have had the foggiest. I have to puzzle out most of the abbreviations and acronyms around here. It took a while to figure out LGBT, heh.

"DH" I got pretty quickly, though. "Dumb Husband," right?  ;D

Mike

Offline Leslie

• Member 24!
    • Maine, USA
      • View Profile
      • Maine Desk
    « Reply #33 on: April 09, 2009, 07:38:32 am »
    The description did make it obvious , but if I had just seen the "m/m" I wouldnt have had the foggiest. I have to puzzle out most of the abbreviations and acronyms around here. It took a while to figure out LGBT, heh.

"DH" I got pretty quickly, though. "Dumb Husband," right?  ;D

Mike

darling husband, I think.  ;D

Leslie Nicoll

Offline intinst

• Shannon Hills, AR
    • 'just enough clouds to create a beautiful sunset
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: April 09, 2009, 07:38:49 am »
    When used by my wife it either means dear husband or da*n husband. Guess which meaning is most often the case?    
    A great many people now reading and writing would be better employed keeping rabbits.  Edith Sitwell 
    Your work is to keep cranking the flywheel that turns the gears that spin the belt in the
    engine of belief that keeps you and your desk in midair. Annie Dillard

Located just outside Little Rock, Arkansas

Offline Leslie

• Member 24!
    • Maine, USA
      • View Profile
      • Maine Desk
    « Reply #35 on: April 09, 2009, 07:42:51 am »
    When used by my wife it either means dear husband or da*n husband. Guess which meaning is most often the case?    

Dear, of course!

Leslie Nicoll

Offline LauraB

• midwest, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: April 09, 2009, 07:51:25 am »
    I have just finished Lamb , by Christopher Moore, on my kindle2.  First, formalities, it is formatted well for kindle.  The TOC links, there aren't any footnotes etc to be dealt with.  There aren't any pictures in kindle or DTC.  The story is a novel, sort of sarcastic and funny.  It is narrated by Biff, who is Jesus' best friend from childhood.  It tells the story of Jesus' life by saying how it would look through the eyes of a child, teen, and eventual adult. The main question being what would it be like to be the Son of God's best friend? It is funny.  I was giggling out loud.  Then my hubby asked what I was reading.  So I filled him in on the plot and began reading the page I was on, which is about how the angel appears, 13 years late, to announce the saviors birth.  It was funny! My husband was laughing and at the same time said, "oh, your going to hell.." .  I really enjoyed the book it is a good, fun read. 
    Also, in DTC, I just finished The Tourist, by Olen Steinhauer, this book is a suspense drama.  It is about a man, who is a "tourist" (spy) for the US.  It is really about his conflicts with a crisis of conscious, of his conflicts with society, and his family. It isn't a "Borne identity" type story.  In this book the characters are believable, they deal with problems that seem real, and there isn't the "and suddenly-" the solution appears type of spy book.  It isn't James Bond with crazy technology.  It is about how someone survives when there job is to survive and function as long as you can before they take you out.  It really gets into the head and thoughts of the character.  Also some of the daily stuff, like how do you deal with your family and kids, what do they think you do for a living.  And how do you really do it.  It is a really good book, the rights have been bought by Smokehouse production, for George Clooney to produce and star in. 
    Added links:

« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 08:23:54 am by Red »
    Books read in 2010: 43 2011: 42 + the Bible 2012: 60; books read 2013:56*

Offline RJ Keller

• Maine
    • You should bake me a nice pie.
      • View Profile
      • RJ Keller official website
    « Reply #37 on: April 09, 2009, 08:32:05 am »
    I have mentioned this book in other threads, but now that I have finished it, it is definitely going on my recommended for the month list.

It's a historical romance (m/m) that takes place in New York City right after World War I. The author has some great characterizations and really snappy dialog. There are a few places where difficult situations pop up and they are resolved a mite too quickly -- I could have used a bit more tension -- but that's a minor quibble. Overall, I'd give this book 4.5 out of 5 stars.

This is a romance but there is no sex beyond a few kisses and implications of what is going on, ie, "the bed was unmade." So, for the chaste readers in the group, give this one a go. You won't be disappointed.

Thanks for the recommendation. I've bookmarked it (under "books to download once I get my Kindle") and have recommended it to my many Kindle-toting friends.
    Kindleboards Waiting For Spring profile

"A great American novel." - Red Adept
    "A real page turner, and emotional roller-coaster." - Full Armor Magazine

Offline Linda Cannon-Mott

• Assignment #118
      • View Profile
    « Reply #38 on: April 09, 2009, 12:31:56 pm »

Link added for LindaW  BTW Linda I have this on my to be read list.

Offline LindaW

• New Jersey
      • View Profile
    « Reply #39 on: April 09, 2009, 01:27:42 pm »
    Link added for LindaW  BTW Linda I have this on my to be read list.

Thanks so much - I have no idea how to add the pics.  I think you'll really like it.  I sat down on Sunday morning and never put it down until I finished it later that evening (stopping only to swap out loads of laundry!)
    « Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 05:49:20 pm by Leslie »
    K1 - Dragonfly

Offline Jesslyn

• Los Angeles Area, CA
      • View Profile
      • My Kindle Stuff
    « Reply #40 on: April 09, 2009, 01:55:06 pm »
    I love the Kitty werewolf books. I'm up to number 5 Kitty and the Dead Man's Hand, but have been holding off so I have something to look forward to.

If you like the Kitty books, and you haven't already read Patricia Briggs, you'll like hers too. She has 2 werewolf series that are interconnected but can be read independently. I found her books first, then found the Kitty books. The Mercy Thompson series starts with Moon Called:

and the Alpha and Omega series starts with a novella that was originally published in an anthology but can be downloaded separately.

I loved all of these. There's just no substitute for good, solid writing skills. So many of the books out there are just not very well-written, and this seems to be a particular problem in "genre" books. I don't care how good the plot is, if the writing is not up to par and the author can't develop the characters, I just won't enjoy the book. Another reason to love my Kindle - downloading samples has been great for weeding out books that aren't well-written. I don't need the plot to develop right away - I'm willing to read at least 75-100 pages for that, but you can tell immediately if the writing is going to be good or not.
    I like the Kitty and the Briggs books, but in a contest, I'd have to vote for Briggs.  I like fantasy and it seems that there are a lot of the 'kick-butt-and-take-names' chick series around.  IMO, not all are worth the screen they're printed on, but I recommend the above two and:
    Kate Daniels series

Kindleboards Member #195 and Proud Kindler since 2008
    Samsung Note 3
    Nexus 5
    Kindle Fire 8.9 (rooted)
    Nexus 7
    Kindle Keyboard
    Kindle Touch
    Apple iPad mini

Offline RJ Keller

• Maine
    • You should bake me a nice pie.
      • View Profile
      • RJ Keller official website
    « Reply #41 on: April 09, 2009, 05:45:51 pm »
    I'm not a fan of fantasy, but if I click on a link and find one by mistake I close the link and go back to perusing the boards without a word.
    Kindleboards Waiting For Spring profile

"A great American novel." - Red Adept
    "A real page turner, and emotional roller-coaster." - Full Armor Magazine

Offline lb505

• Batesville
      • View Profile
    « Reply #42 on: April 09, 2009, 05:47:14 pm »
    Recently finished this:

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao

Amazon.com Review
    Amazon Best of the Month, September 2007: It's been 11 years since Junot Daz's critically acclaimed story collection, Drown, landed on bookshelves and from page one of his debut novel, The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, any worries of a sophomore jinx disappear. The titular Oscar is a 300-pound-plus "lovesick ghetto nerd" with zero game (except for Dungeons & Dragons) who cranks out pages of fantasy fiction with the hopes of becoming a Dominican J.R.R. Tolkien. The book is also the story of a multi-generational family curse that courses through the book, leaving troubles and tragedy in its wake. This was the most dynamic, entertaining, and achingly heartfelt novel I've read in a long time. My head is still buzzing with the memory of dozens of killer passages that I dog-eared throughout the book. The rope-a-dope narrative is funny, hip, tragic, soulful, and bursting with desire. Make some room for Oscar Wao on your bookshelf--you won't be disappointed. --Brad Thomas Parsons

I didn't want this book to end. 

Offline KindleKay (aka #1652)

• AR
    • http://www.KindleKay.wordpress.com
      • View Profile
      • The World Through My Eyes.... Blog
    « Reply #43 on: April 09, 2009, 05:48:10 pm »
    I'm not a fan of fantasy, but if I click on a link and find one by mistake I close the link and go back to perusing the boards without a word.

I agree.  If a book isn't to your liking, just close the link and move on...

eBay Kindle 1 Auction Won 1.29.09
    Shipped from seller 1.30.09
    K1 Delivered  2.2.09
    K2 Ordered 7.12.09 
    K1 Sold 7.13.09
    K2 Delivered 7.14.09
    The Best Kindle 1 Watch Story EVER- MINE!
    My Goodreads account, be my friend!

Offline Leslie

• Member 24!
    • Maine, USA
      • View Profile
      • Maine Desk
    « Reply #44 on: April 09, 2009, 06:00:39 pm »
    I didn't read the Amazon description until later. I rapidly skimmed your post and missed the m/m, as I already stated. Newsflash, not everyone is liberal and not everyone approves of GLBT, hence the need for the warning or whatever term you want to use.

We don't have a rule or guideline here for "warnings" or ratings or anything else. People--readers making recommendations--are free to post as much or as little information as they want about a book. Interested folks can go to Amazon and learn more. I assume we are all intelligent adults here and we can each make our own informed decisions. Whether you "approve" of something or not is your own prerogative. I am not going to ask posters to make decisions a priori about what may or may not be acceptable to others on the board.

L
    « Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 10:41:07 am by Leslie »

Leslie Nicoll

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Moderators-10003
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #45 on: April 09, 2009, 06:27:38 pm »
    Book Corner Moderator jumping in here.  Peace, people!

These are books recommended by our members.  Books they enjoyed.  We don't ask that members put reviews of the books in the posts, in fact, I personally think less is more.  We indicate that we enjoyed the read and then post a link to the book on Amazon or wherever the book may be found where full information can be found.  The post did in fact indicate the nature of the romance.  The fact that someone skimmed the post and missed it or that someone did not understand the acronym doesn't change that.

There are plenty of books that have been posted that are not my cup of tea, I read the info and move on.

Let's move on.

Thanks!

Betsy

« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 06:29:58 pm by Betsy the Quilter »

Offline luvmy4brats

• Enabler Extraordinaire
    • Eastern Shore, MD
      • View Profile
    « Reply #46 on: April 09, 2009, 10:03:18 pm »

Betsy, it's been awhile since we've seen this hat. It's one of my favorites.

Online LDB

• Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #47 on: April 09, 2009, 11:13:25 pm »
    Exactly why I said not everyone rather than nobody. I do appreciate though how the moderators go out of their way to be neutral in all things and equally respectful of every forum member's right to their reading choices.
    My Service on the KBoards Yellow Pages
    There's no bad day if you have a good book.

• Moderators-10003
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #48 on: April 10, 2009, 10:07:15 am »
    Thanks to all for resuming peaceful discussions.  While I don't try too hard to keep this thread lean & mean, I'd like to keep it tidy for the benefit of our members. I'm not planning on doing any pruning at this point, but the discussion seems to be over and everyone has made their points. I invite anyone who is willing to delete any of their own posts that they don't think would be of interest to the general membership or guests to do so.

Betsy
    (Thanks, Heather, I don't often repeat hats, but that WAS a good one.)

in honor of baseball season. (RIP Nick Adenhart)

Offline CS

• Parts Unknown
    • Five-Star Ranking Agent 337
      • View Profile
    « Reply #49 on: April 10, 2009, 11:24:54 am »
    I deleted my post since Betsy seems to have put an end to the discussion/argument.

Book recommendation (just to keep this on topic):

Hmmm....

Okay, I read that ages ago - BUT... I had to stay on topic and the DVD is out, so enjoy a book, a movie, some coffee, and the antics of the "World's Worst Dog."

KBoards.com

• Advertisement