Author Topic: Books Recommended by our Members - April 2009  (Read 23249 times)  

Online LDB

• Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Books Recommended by our Members - April 2009
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2009, 12:29:02 pm »
This, like all the books in the series, is an EXCELLENT read. The protagonist handles things the way they should be handled. The book depicts America doing what needs to be done in the way it should be done.

WARNING: This title contains detailed descriptions of proper methods of dealing with terrorists and thugs.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 12:52:48 pm by Betsy the Quilter »
My Service on the KBoards Yellow Pages
There's no bad day if you have a good book.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Moderators-10003
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #51 on: April 10, 2009, 01:01:25 pm »
    I have to say, I never thought I'd enjoy these as much as I have but I'm afraid I'm hooked.  I started reading them for the Book Klub but now I'm racing ahead.  Historical romantic fiction.  I love the authenticity.  I've been to some of the places described and everything I've looked up has been accurate:

Betsy
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline candggmom

• Moyock, NC
      • View Profile
    « Reply #52 on: April 10, 2009, 01:56:51 pm »
    Final salute by Jim Sheeler (Sorry all but I'm technically challenged and can't seem to make Link Maker work for me).  I know this book is expensive but as far as I'm concerned it should be required reading for all Americans.  It is the stories of the military personnel who make the dreaded house calls to let families know their loved ones have made the supreme sacrifice for us all.  It is also the stories of the families as they try to get through an awful time.  Please give it a try even if you just put it on your wish list and wait for the price to go down!

Kathy

« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 02:04:41 pm by Betsy the Quilter »

Offline Leslie

• Member 24!
    • Maine, USA
    • Kindle Paperwhite for Dummies available now!
      • View Profile
      • Maine Desk
    « Reply #53 on: April 10, 2009, 02:03:17 pm »
    I read Final Salute a few weeks ago and agree that it was very good. I am curious if the print version has pictures -- the Kindle version had none -- and the acknowledgments mention the photographer who accompanied the author as they did the research for the book. I would have like to have seen pictures of the soldiers and the family members who were chronicled in the book -- just to put faces to all the names.

L

Leslie Nicoll

Offline candggmom

• Moyock, NC
      • View Profile
    « Reply #54 on: April 10, 2009, 02:05:13 pm »
    Me too, Leslie and thank you for fixing the link thing!  I think I read a post of yours and that is how I found this wonderful book!

Kathy

Offline Anju No. 469

• Lakeside, Mexico
      • View Profile
    « Reply #55 on: April 10, 2009, 02:24:05 pm »
    Book recommendation (just to keep this on topic):

Hmmm....

Okay, I read that ages ago - BUT... I had to stay on topic and the DVD is out, so enjoy a book, a movie, some coffee, and the antics of the "World's Worst Dog."

I read the book and saw the DVD, the DVD/movie does not do this book justice, it is a pet lovers must read, if for no other reason than to appreciate your "well-behaved" fur baby.
    Dona
    on the shores of Lake Chapala, Mexico

Offline KBoards Admin

• Bellingham WA
    • Love all, moderate all.
      • View Profile
      • KBoards
    « Reply #56 on: April 10, 2009, 02:34:54 pm »
    I recently downloaded Thomas Paine's Common Sense, out of curiosity. My interest in American history has increased in the past few years, since I had to study US history and civics as part of my naturalization process.

While I have sentimental attachment to the monarchy, I can't deny the logic in this iconic book from the American revolution.

Flint and Flame: 15%

Authors: set up your own work-in-progress bar with our Author Sig tool.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Super Moderators-5
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #57 on: April 10, 2009, 05:17:00 pm »
    Final salute by Jim Sheeler (Sorry all but I'm technically challenged and can't seem to make Link Maker work for me).  I know this book is expensive but as far as I'm concerned it should be required reading for all Americans.  It is the stories of the military personnel who make the dreaded house calls to let families know their loved ones have made the supreme sacrifice for us all.  It is also the stories of the families as they try to get through an awful time.  Please give it a try even if you just put it on your wish list and wait for the price to go down!

Kathy

My husband was a Casualty Assistance Calls Officer for a while when we were stationed in Hawaii.  Fortunately, the only time he had to step up to the duty was when a retired Navy Commander who lived on the island died.  He worked with the widow to make sure she got all her benefits and put her in touch with the military contacts to make sure none of her retiree survivor payments or insurance lapsed.  He said it was hard, even though it was an older retired person.  Can't imagine how tough it'd be for a younger person.

I may have to pick up this book and check it out. . . .

Ann
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline chynared21

• Phew...Teninx found his tinfoil hat!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #58 on: April 10, 2009, 05:18:41 pm »

Kathy

I've had this one on my wish list waiting for the price to come down...

Offline Seamonkey

• Fountain Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • TV Clubhouse
    « Reply #59 on: April 10, 2009, 05:24:58 pm »
    I had such a different reaction to Marley & Me.. having been a breeder of labradors.. these would be the owners from hell.  How sad that they didn't DEAL with the problems.

But anyway.. Final Salute sounds worth reading.. downloaded a sample, but hope the price will drop.  I would think if there were pictures it might be a good DTB.. OR.. if there is a website for the pictures, that would suffice.

After I read Rhythm (which is misspelled in the actual title of the kindle edition) which at one time was a free book, and is wonderful, I bought the author's memoir and what an interesting life she has led!  I'm enjoying her and her book immensely

Piano Girl - A Memoir: Lessons in Life, Music and the Perfect Blue Hawaiian by Robin Meloy Goldsby

(Make your own reading bar)

SeaSnork on Words with Friends

Offline r0b0d0c

• Minneapolis
      • View Profile
    « Reply #60 on: April 10, 2009, 06:00:33 pm »
    This, like all the books in the series, is an EXCELLENT read. The protagonist handles things the way they should be handled. The book depicts America doing what needs to be done in the way it should be done.

WARNING: This title contains detailed descriptions of proper methods of dealing with terrorists and thugs.

LDB - I've downloaded a sample, and it looks good, but he has MANY titles to read! Is there a certain order to read, and if not, would you suggest a certain one to begin with?
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count.
    It's the life in your years." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline birdlady

• Portland, Oregon
    • Zena female princess of the Amazon
      • View Profile
    « Reply #61 on: April 10, 2009, 06:23:16 pm »
    The leisure seeker"   by Michael Zadoorian

I am older and this book was terrific.  I just loved it.  I give it **** 4 stars!!

It really made me feel the character in every page of this wonderful book. 

« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 06:32:32 pm by Betsy the Quilter »
    mary

Offline Steph H

• North Texas
    • K1, K2, KDX, K3, KFire, K4, KPW1, KFireHD, KV, KO
      • View Profile
    « Reply #62 on: April 10, 2009, 06:50:11 pm »
    LDB - I've downloaded a sample, and it looks good, but he has MANY titles to read! Is there a certain order to read, and if not, would you suggest a certain one to begin with?

You can see the order of the Mitch Rapp books by Vince Flynn here:

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/f/vince-flynn/

Transfer of Power is the first one.  I haven't read any of them yet, but I always recommend starting series from the beginning for character development if nothing else.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 06:53:40 pm by Steph H »
    Currently active Kindles:                                                  Swag Bucks - Earn Amazon GCs for free!
    KFireHD - Draco                                                              I'm in the fight! - Support Liver Disease Awareness
    KV - TARDIS
    KO - Merlin

Online LDB

• Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #63 on: April 10, 2009, 07:41:31 pm »
    They are best in order however that isn't mandatory. They do reference back a little bit as far as who some of the characters are but they're pretty well stand alone.
    My Service on the KBoards Yellow Pages
    There's no bad day if you have a good book.

Offline r0b0d0c

• Minneapolis
      • View Profile
    « Reply #64 on: April 10, 2009, 08:24:25 pm »
    Thanks for both of your recommendations - I think I'll start with the 1st, "Transfer of Power," to get a basic setup and background of the cast of characters, and next read "Protect and Defend," with its relevance to current world tensions!
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count.
    It's the life in your years." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Jesslyn

• Los Angeles Area, CA
      • View Profile
      • My Kindle Stuff
    « Reply #65 on: April 10, 2009, 08:57:17 pm »
    Not sure if this one has made anyone's list, but The Warded Man is the best book that I've come across in a long time and this dark Fantasy novel (1st in a trilogy, I believe) is very welcome after my recent diet of mediocre contemporary Fantasy. 
    The Warded Man

Kindleboards Member #195 and Proud Kindler since 2008
    Samsung Note 3
    Nexus 5
    Kindle Fire 8.9 (rooted)
    Nexus 7
    Kindle Keyboard
    Kindle Touch
    Apple iPad mini

Offline Steph H

• North Texas
    • K1, K2, KDX, K3, KFire, K4, KPW1, KFireHD, KV, KO
      • View Profile
    « Reply #66 on: April 10, 2009, 10:15:16 pm »
    Thanks for that recommendation, Jesslyn. I had read about that book just the other day on a fantasy blog and downloaded a sample after reading all the good Amazon reviews.  Nice to see a good KB review/recommendation as well! :)
    Currently active Kindles:                                                  Swag Bucks - Earn Amazon GCs for free!
    KFireHD - Draco                                                              I'm in the fight! - Support Liver Disease Awareness
    KV - TARDIS
    KO - Merlin

Offline Leslie

• Member 24!
    • Maine, USA
    • Kindle Paperwhite for Dummies available now!
      • View Profile
      • Maine Desk
    « Reply #67 on: April 11, 2009, 07:01:52 am »
    I stumbled upon this on Thursday on the gay & lesbian "hot new releases" list. Curious about it, I went to Speak Its Name and found a five star review. Since I trust this reviewer, I didn't even bother with the sample, just bought the book. And am I glad I did! It is a terrific book, one of the best I have read in a long time. My friend Louise says it's the best gay historical she has ever read, which is saying a lot since we've both read plenty. I'm not sure it's the best, for me, but it is definitely on my Top Ten list.

In a nutshell, it is the story of Paul Harris, and brothers Patrick and Mick Morgan, all returned home from WWI and trying to resume their lives in England. All were wounded, both physically and emotionally. Their families, friends, and lovers try to help them with putting the pieces together, not entirely successfully, because unless you've been in the trenches of France, no one really knows what the soldiers went through.

Highly recommended.

Here's the review on Speak Its Name: http://speakitsname.wordpress.com/2007/08/18/review-the-boy-i-love-by-marion-husband/

Next on my list is the sequel, which takes place after WWII.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 07:39:25 am by Leslie »

Leslie Nicoll

Offline Linda Cannon-Mott

• Assignment #118
      • View Profile
    « Reply #68 on: April 11, 2009, 07:39:58 am »

This is a great novel that had been on my to be read list for 6 months. It is about friendhip among women in biblical times told through Dinah. I found it to be a great book about friendship between women. It was most interesting to  find out what the red tent was and its use.

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
      • View Profile
    « Reply #69 on: April 11, 2009, 09:14:30 am »

This is a great novel that had been on my to be read list for 6 months. It is about friendhip among women in biblical times told through Dinah. I found it to be a great book about friendship between women. It was most interesting to  find out what the red tent was and its use.

My daughter got me an autographed copy of this DTB for Mother's Day a couple of years ago - it's a great book.
    Another great book in a similar vein is:
    Carol in 'burque

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to Skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and shouting: Damn-What a ride!

Offline ladyvolz

• East Tennessee
      • View Profile
    « Reply #70 on: April 11, 2009, 10:15:03 am »
    I just finished the second book in a trilogy of Genghis Khan by Conn Iggulden and loved it as much as the first book in the series.  While I do enjoy history/historicals etc., I had never much ventured out of books set in France, Ireland, Scotland, England and some in Italy.  The first book I finally read last year and it immediately sucked me in, got the second and waited until the third was to be released before reading.  The third is now out and they are all listed below.  PLEASE NOTE that the last two are links to the PB and HB listing as I could not get link maker to find the kindle edition.

Offline worktolive

• View Profile
    « Reply #71 on: April 11, 2009, 12:55:35 pm »

This was one of the first books that my bookclub read when we started 9 years ago. To this day, it is still one of our favorites. Highly recommended.

Offline Athenagwis

• View Profile
    « Reply #72 on: April 11, 2009, 02:39:21 pm »
    I recently finished this one:

It was a quick read, but very well written.  Here is my review that I posted on the Amazon page:

I learned of this book from a Kindle board and decided to give it a go. It is a quick read, but it is very well written. The authors don't speak down to the reader, rather they spin a wonderful tale of family, love, and following your heart through God. I very much enjoyed reading this, and would be willing to try other books by these authors!

It was free a while back, so some of you may already have this on your Kindle.  Even if you don't, this book is worth the $3 and change.  It's very good!

Cheers!
    Rachel

Offline Boston

• View Profile
    « Reply #73 on: April 11, 2009, 09:17:43 pm »
    I read Final Salute a few weeks ago and agree that it was very good. I am curious if the print version has pictures -- the Kindle version had none -- and the acknowledgments mention the photographer who accompanied the author as they did the research for the book. I would have like to have seen pictures of the soldiers and the family members who were chronicled in the book -- just to put faces to all the names.

L

The first customer review says "I could not make it through the pictures without tears coming to my eyes!" so I ordered the DTB version.  Thanks to those who recommended.

Offline Boston

• View Profile
    « Reply #74 on: April 11, 2009, 09:20:19 pm »
    I couldn't get the link maker to work..but I found The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo to be a real page turner.

It wasn't my typical type of read and I probably would've passed it up if it weren't available at the library. 
    But I couldn't put it down.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 05:11:22 pm by Betsy the Quilter »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement