Author Topic: Books Recommended by our Members - April 2009  (Read 23247 times)  

Offline intinst

• Shannon Hills, AR
  • 'just enough clouds to create a beautiful sunset
    • View Profile
Re: Books Recommended by our Members - April 2009
« Reply #75 on: April 11, 2009, 09:35:52 pm »
A great many people now reading and writing would be better employed keeping rabbits.  Edith Sitwell 
Your work is to keep cranking the flywheel that turns the gears that spin the belt in the
engine of belief that keeps you and your desk in midair. Annie Dillard

Located just outside Little Rock, Arkansas

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Leslie

• Member 24!
    • Maine, USA
    • Kindle Paperwhite for Dummies available now!
      • View Profile
      • Maine Desk
    « Reply #76 on: April 12, 2009, 08:28:53 am »
    The first customer review says "I could not make it through the pictures without tears coming to my eyes!" so I ordered the DTB version.  Thanks to those who recommended.

Interesting. It's disappointing that the Kindle version doesn't have pictures, especially since the book was over the $9.99 threshold.

L

Leslie Nicoll

Offline Linda Cannon-Mott

• Assignment #118
      • View Profile
    « Reply #77 on: April 12, 2009, 03:53:22 pm »

Light, fun, funny read and a mystery. Loved it and will be reading the other 7 in this series. Anne George who passed away in 2001 was from Birmingham and this is where this great southern humor takes place. I found it even more interesting since I live here. Great chick lit and if you have a sister or sister's you definitely will love it!   :D
    « Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 03:55:01 pm by Linda Cannon-Mott »

Offline Athenagwis

• View Profile
    « Reply #78 on: April 13, 2009, 11:46:00 am »
    I recently read Life, Love, and a Polar Bear Tattoo.  It is a free download available here: http://www.heatherwardell.com/polarbear.shtml.  I enjoyed reading the book, though the writing style at the beginning seemed a bit contrived to me.  Once I got past the first 20% or so, I really got sucked into the story and the writing didnt bother me nearly as much.  I really felt the emotional turmoil the main character went through, and I felt the author did a good job at keeping the storyline very realistic.  I would read another book by this author.

Cheers!
    Rachel

Offline geoffthomas

• Derwood, Maryland
    • Member 2434
      • View Profile
    « Reply #79 on: April 13, 2009, 12:04:32 pm »
    I just finished the two volume The Treasure of LaMalinche by our own Jeffry Hepple.
    Great read.  Combines elements of James Michener and Wilbur Smith.  But Mr. Hepple writes his own style.   I recommend this to all. 

Miss you, Dona, Jeff & Harvey! | Member since 02/27/2009 | e-books by Lynn Abbey, CJ Cherryh, & Jane Fancher
    TANSTAAFL (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch)

Offline Anju No. 469

• Lakeside, Mexico
      • View Profile
    « Reply #80 on: April 13, 2009, 12:35:48 pm »
    I just finished the two volume The Treasure of LaMalinche by our own Jeffry Hepple.
    Great read.  Combines elements of James Michener and Wilbur Smith.  But Mr. Hepple writes his own style.   I recommend this to all. 

I totally agree with Geoff.  I am at the end of Vol. 1 and have to admit I cheated awhile back and read some of Vol. 2 ahead of time, as in the ending  ;) but I am a definite fan of Jeff and love his work.  Highly recommend it, along with Gone for a Soldier (particularly if you like American Revolutionary time frame historical with some fiction thrown in for good luck books.
    Dona
    on the shores of Lake Chapala, Mexico

Offline DD

• Member #484
      • View Profile
    « Reply #81 on: April 14, 2009, 09:48:20 am »
    "The Given Day" by Dennis Lehane - Wonderful!  Here's the link:

Kindles I have owned or now own:
    K1, K2, KK, DX, Touch, FireHD, PW2, Voyage, Oasis8th gen, Oasis9th gen, PW10th gen, Oasis10th gen

Offline madrye

• View Profile
    « Reply #82 on: April 14, 2009, 12:53:26 pm »
    A couple of comments (if you don't mind). Marley and Me is a great book and movie but as someone who has the pleasure to share their lives with 3 labs ranging in age from 4 months to 4 years it gives them such a bad rap. I'm pretty computer dumb so I have no idea on how to post links to the books that I would like to recommend. Books that talk about love no matter what the sex of the couple is, is still a book about love. Life, Love and a Polar Bear Tattoo was a wonderful book and I can't wait to see what else the author has as someone else mentioned. Waiting for Spring (another free download) is an amazing book as well. Another author I'm watching.

The Spellman Files by Lisa Lutz are very amusing, insightful and will leave you wanting more. If you enjoy Stephanie Plum this series will for sure delight you. As nuts as this family is you almost want to give up your own boring existence and step into their lives. To me, that's the defenition of a great author.

What Looks Like Crazy on a Ordinary Day is another wonderful book. The main character found out she might be HIV positive and she's decided to stay positive about it. Here's a quote from the book I took off of Amazon. The book has been around for awhile but is one I can read again and again. Some people may not like the way the author does a run on sentance as the way the character speaks but I think the author is trying to get across how strong this woman is.
    "Most of us got it from the boys. Which is, when you think about it, a pretty good argument for cutting men loose, but if I could work up a strong physical reaction to women, I would already be having sex with them. I'm not knocking it. I'm just saying I can't be a witness. Too many titties in one place to suit me."

-- Try out the KindleBoards link maker at the top/bottom of every KindleBoards page...

« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 04:17:18 pm by pidgeon92 »

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #83 on: April 14, 2009, 05:06:05 pm »

Just finished it this afternoon.  I asked Jeff if he had ever read any Wilbur Smith and he hasn't.  The reason I asked is that River God and The Seventh Scroll are my two favorite Wilbur Smith books, and there was an element of the treasure hunt found in those two.  Jeff does it all in one book with a wonderful way of tying the past and present together. 

Kind of hard to describe.  I'll just say it's a great read

Offline geoffthomas

• Derwood, Maryland
    • Member 2434
      • View Profile
    « Reply #84 on: April 15, 2009, 08:32:39 am »
    Just finished A.D. 62: Pompeii, a novel by Rebecca East.
    Good read. Nice historical setting and details. recommend it. A little girly but author is female and so is the main character.  Again, I would recommend reading it.

Miss you, Dona, Jeff & Harvey! | Member since 02/27/2009 | e-books by Lynn Abbey, CJ Cherryh, & Jane Fancher

Offline hackeynut

• View Profile
    « Reply #85 on: April 15, 2009, 08:32:59 am »
    "The Given Day" by Dennis Lehane - Wonderful!  Here's the link:

Maybe I'm just hitting it at the wrong time, but I can't get into this book.  And this is coming from somoene who absolutly adores everything Lehane ever wrote.

Offline hackeynut

• View Profile
    « Reply #86 on: April 15, 2009, 08:33:49 am »
    While I'm thinking about it though, I jsut finished this gem of a book: 

Offline LauraB

• midwest, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #87 on: April 15, 2009, 09:09:18 am »
    hackeynut, I bought it and it is downloaded on my kindle.  Maybe it'll work for you now.
    Books read in 2010: 43 2011: 42 + the Bible 2012: 60; books read 2013:56*

Offline EllenR

• Washington
    • Dale Chihuly exhibit, San Francisco 2008
      • View Profile
    « Reply #88 on: April 15, 2009, 09:09:43 am »
    While I'm thinking about it though, I jsut finished this gem of a book: 

I see this author has written other books. Is there an order to them or are they stand alone?

EllenR

Offline DD

• Member #484
      • View Profile
    « Reply #89 on: April 15, 2009, 09:23:47 am »
    Maybe I'm just hitting it at the wrong time, but I can't get into this book.  And this is coming from somoene who absolutly adores everything Lehane ever wrote.

Don't know what to tell you.  I just tried the link and it works.  Just go to Amazon/Kindle Books and search for The Given Day.  You should get there.  I loved this book and want to read more of Lehane.  What do you recommend?
    K1, K2, KK, DX, Touch, FireHD, PW2, Voyage, Oasis8th gen, Oasis9th gen, PW10th gen, Oasis10th gen

Offline Steph H

• North Texas
    • K1, K2, KDX, K3, KFire, K4, KPW1, KFireHD, KV, KO
      • View Profile
    « Reply #90 on: April 15, 2009, 09:36:00 am »
    DD and Red, I think hackeynut was saying he/she didn't like The Given Day (having trouble liking it), not that they were having trouble buying/downloading it. ;)
    Currently active Kindles:                                                  Swag Bucks - Earn Amazon GCs for free!
    KFireHD - Draco                                                              I'm in the fight! - Support Liver Disease Awareness
    KV - TARDIS
    KO - Merlin

Offline geoffthomas

• Derwood, Maryland
    • Member 2434
      • View Profile
    « Reply #91 on: April 15, 2009, 09:42:23 am »
    Just finished it this afternoon.  I asked Jeff if he had ever read any Wilbur Smith and he hasn't.  The reason I asked is that River God and The Seventh Scroll are my two favorite Wilbur Smith books, and there was an element of the treasure hunt found in those two.  Jeff does it all in one book with a wonderful way of tying the past and present together. 

Kind of hard to describe.  I'll just say it's a great read

Gertie and Anju (Dona) - I have started a Discussion Thread in The Book Corner for these books.  Come join us - I have invited Jeff to participate.

Offline DD

• Member #484
      • View Profile
    « Reply #92 on: April 15, 2009, 10:18:21 am »
    DD and Red, I think hackeynut was saying he/she didn't like The Given Day (having trouble liking it), not that they were having trouble buying/downloading it. ;)

ha ha. Sorry. Read too fast and missed the meaning in that one.  Well, to each his own.

Offline bkworm8it

• Pacific Northwest
      • View Profile
    « Reply #93 on: April 15, 2009, 10:54:54 am »
    I see this author has written other books. Is there an order to them or are they stand alone?

EllenR

I've read most all his books, they are stand alone and each has been a really good read. Also the tv series 24 is based off his book 24 hours. 

Theresam
    So many good books, so little time!

Offline EllenR

• Washington
    • Dale Chihuly exhibit, San Francisco 2008
      • View Profile
    « Reply #94 on: April 15, 2009, 11:03:14 am »
    I've read most all his books, they are stand alone and each has been a really good read. Also the tv series 24 is based off his book 24 hours. 

Theresam

Good to know, thanks!

EllenR

Offline hackeynut

• View Profile
    « Reply #95 on: April 15, 2009, 11:15:34 am »

Theresam

Not to be too snippy, but that post is not very correct.  The show 24 has nothing to do with the book 24 hours, which is a kidnapping thriller that has nothing to do with terrorism.  24 Hours was actually turned into a pretty crappy movie called Trapped.

As to there being an order, there is not necessarily an order and several stand alone.  However, many of the books do take place in and around Natchez and characters pop up from those books.  True Evil plays on the outside of those characters, however Turning Angel is a direct sequel to The Quiet Game.  Iles talks about it all here:    http://www.gregiles.com/which.htm

Offline DD

• Member #484
      • View Profile
    « Reply #96 on: April 15, 2009, 11:24:55 am »
    Not to be too snippy, but that post is not very correct.  The show 24 has nothing to do with the book 24 hours, which is a kidnapping thriller that has nothing to do with terrorism.  24 Hours was actually turned into a pretty crappy movie called Trapped.

As to there being an order, there is not necessarily an order and several stand alone.  However, many of the books do take place in and around Natchez and characters pop up from those books.  True Evil plays on the outside of those characters, however Turning Angel is a direct sequel to The Quiet Game.  Iles talks about it all here:    http://www.gregiles.com/which.htm

Thanks for the info.  I recently read Black Cross by Greg Iles.  It was very good and I would like to read more of this author.

Offline bkworm8it

• Pacific Northwest
      • View Profile
    « Reply #97 on: April 15, 2009, 12:30:21 pm »

As to there being an order, there is not necessarily an order and several stand alone.  However, many of the books do take place in and around Natchez and characters pop up from those books.  True Evil plays on the outside of those characters, however Turning Angel is a direct sequel to The Quiet Game.  Iles talks about it all here:    http://www.gregiles.com/which.htm

WOW, well I stand very corrected. I had sworn I read that before. Anywhoo I apologize profusely. I had read all but 3 books and guess I never noticed that some were connected.

theresam
    So many good books, so little time!

Offline hackeynut

• View Profile
    « Reply #98 on: April 15, 2009, 12:50:43 pm »
    WOW, well I stand very corrected. I had sworn I read that before. Anywhoo I apologize profusely. I had read all but 3 books and guess I never noticed that some were connected.

theresam

No worries!  Hell, I was getting confused reading the latest Baldacci book because I had flat out forgot what had happened in the previous three books.

Offline Thumper

• Dixon, CA
    • Will work for cookies
      • View Profile
      • Thumper Thinks Out Loud
    « Reply #99 on: April 15, 2009, 12:53:39 pm »

After reading his book "The Book Thief" (and loving it) I decided to check out more of his work and randomly picked this... I was so sucked into it that I read it start to finish yesterday with a ticked off kitty curled up on my legs (and sometimes draped over my head) while curled up in bed.

It's technically a book for high school students (not sure I'd agree there, he's pretty specific sex-wise, though I'd have let my son read it by grade 9) but the story is engaging and his writing style spans a fairly large age group.

Now I wish more of his work was available for the Kindle.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement