Author Topic: Brew's Re-read! (It can be yours, too.) Not for first-time readers!  (Read 5882 times)  

Offline Archer

• Alterra
  • Author of Elfhunter, Fire-heart, Ravenshade
    • View Profile
    • www.elfhunter.net
Hey, Brew! You and I have our own thread set up for the re-read. Come on over and let's chat! Anyone else--feel free to crash the party. This area not for first-time readers.  :D :D :D
NOW AVAILABLE FROM PARTHIAN PRESS

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline ibrewalot

• Brookline, NH
      • View Profile
    Re: Brew's Re-read! (It can be yours, too.) Not for first-time readers!
    « Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 10:00:22 am »
    WOW!  I feel honored!   ;D

For those of you that have not yet read the Elfhunter Trilogy, I strongly encourage you to dive in!  However, as was mentioned in the opening thread, there may very well be spoilers here since I'm guessing posters here will have already been through the series at least once.  And yet, if you're one to open your presents before Christmas, you might want to stick around after all.  8)

I'm only a bit into Elfhunter at the moment (about 8%, Kindle-wise), but I have to tell you the 2nd time through Elfhunter is no less fun than the 1st time through!  I've read so many not-good-but-not-bad stories lately I really wanted to pick something up that I "knew" to be great.  Elfhunter has not disappointed.  It continually brings a smile to my face as I relive the early days of the series...getting to know Gaelen and Nelwyn again, tracking Gorgon for the first time, meeting up with Orogond and Galador for the first time, etc, etc, etc.  It's all just wonderful this time through.

Sooooo, if you're looking for something you can trust, dust off your old copy of Elfhunter and join in!

Offline ibrewalot

• Brookline, NH
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 07:56:01 pm »
    The tale of Gelmyr...such a sad tale.  Maybe it was because I read this for the first time so long ago, but it's pretty cool to pick up on the details I missed the first time around.  It's kindof like when you watch a movie that's a director's cut after seeing the original in the theater.  There's always stuff you pick up that adds to the overall story. 

Offline Archer

• Alterra
      • View Profile
      • www.elfhunter.net
    « Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 03:26:12 am »
    Brew:
    I find it's an entirely different experience re-reading a book. I was struck by this when I re-read the chapter concerning the first appearance of Magra. In that chapter, the reader has little idea of that character. He is such a wonderful tragic figure in my mind...he was Rain's best friend and first lieutenant, he has always loved Ordath (though he would never tell her) and he has been alone since Rain's death (despite the attempts of many to court him). He is fond of Gaelen, but in a big-brotherly way. She has no idea...not really. Orogond has absolutely nothing to fear from Magra (who has known him for years) other than his disapproval. But, as we know, Magra's disapproval is well founded.

(I also believe Magra dies the best classic/heroic death in the whole trilogy. I really gave in to my romantic tendencies.)

Sigh. Makes me want to write more about the Eolar. Now, there were some Elves, buster! Having Gelmyr taken so easily tells us just how 'bad' Gorgon is. We also get the first inkling of his (ahem!) 'issues' when he deals with Gelmyr. Unfortunately, this is his usual M.O. (shudder!)

Gelmyr really shines (well, Gorgon's imaginary manifestation of him does) later on, though. He might be the character I'd most like to play in the 'movie'. Heheheh! I love it when he waves at himself in Ravenshade.  :D
    « Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 03:30:06 am by Archer »

Offline ibrewalot

• Brookline, NH
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 05:23:31 am »
    I completely get that it's a different experience re-reading...now.  I certainly didn't think it would be this good.  I'm typically the type that NEVER reads a book a second time since there are always so many out there I haven't read.  I'm the same with most movies (LOTR and Harry Potter are exceptions).  Watch once, enjoy, forget.  However, this time through it's almost like reading a "new" story.  Maybe it's a blessing getting old enough that you can't remember everything?  ;)  But the additional detail I'm picking up makes it seem like I never read it in the first place. 

There is so much I remember (the initial Gelmyr scene is a tough one to forget) and yet so much I have forgotten (like most of how Magra fits in) that it keeps it fresh.  I'm SO psyched I started it again!  I can't wait for tomorrow when I am on business travel and get to spend the morning on a plane reading.   ;D

Offline Archer

• Alterra
      • View Profile
      • www.elfhunter.net
    « Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 05:27:06 am »
    Kindles and airplanes are like peanut butter and jelly--they were made for each other.
    I'm hoping Tip will join us, too.

:D

Online Tip10

• Southern Illinois
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 08:25:37 am »
    This is a really REALLY busy time of year for me -- I'll duck in from time to time but not sure how much time I'll have.  Sorry....
    Never Engage in a Battle of Wits With an Unarmed Person.

I don't suffer from Insanity -- I rather enjoy it!

Offline Archer

• Alterra
      • View Profile
      • www.elfhunter.net
    « Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 03:33:27 pm »
    Tip, I know what you mean! But we'll look forward to your company when you can...
     :D

Offline ibrewalot

• Brookline, NH
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 06:46:19 am »
    I'm a lot farther down the path...they just ran into Gorgon for the first time and realized what a nice guy he is.   8)

I'm finding all my previous highlights of descriptions of Gorgon along the way and have found several I missed and am adding as I go along.  When I wanted to try to draw him I went through the book looking for references and highlighted as many as I found, but doing it while reading I'm find several I missed.  For example, I hadn't picked up that his shield is mirror-like while the rest of his armor is dull.  Small, but important.  I never did have enough highlighted to attempt a drawing, but should be all set by the end of the book this time.

It's still a great read!  Normally by now I'd be bored the second time through...couldn't be farther from the truth with ElfHunter.  I remember just enough from the first time to taunt me to press reading for "just another 15 minutes".   :)

Offline Archer

• Alterra
      • View Profile
      • www.elfhunter.net
    Heh! Gorgon is such a debutante!
    « Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 06:03:06 pm »
    I'm a lot farther down the path...they just ran into Gorgon for the first time and realized what a nice guy he is.   8)

I'm finding all my previous highlights of descriptions of Gorgon along the way and have found several I missed and am adding as I go along.  When I wanted to try to draw him I went through the book looking for references and highlighted as many as I found, but doing it while reading I'm find several I missed.  For example, I hadn't picked up that his shield is mirror-like while the rest of his armor is dull.  Small, but important.  I never did have enough highlighted to attempt a drawing, but should be all set by the end of the book this time.

It's still a great read!  Normally by now I'd be bored the second time through...couldn't be farther from the truth with ElfHunter.  I remember just enough from the first time to taunt me to press reading for "just another 15 minutes".   :)

Oh, yeah! He's a real prince!  :D

I know when I watch a movie for the second (or third) time, I always notice things I hadn't before.
    Dang, Brew--If you were bored, this would be a really short discussion!  :D :D

I will be very anxious to see what drawings you come up with. Always cool to view a reader's perception of Gorgon and compare it to mine.

Offline ibrewalot

• Brookline, NH
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 05:57:08 am »
    Wow!  I'd forgotten just how much romance there is in ElfHunter!  I'm now at the part where Gaelen and Rain are "betrothed", Gaelen told Nelwyn about it, followed the massive army to fight the bad and and then Gaelen got the sense of Rain's death. 

You know Archer, there is a really big buildup and then you let Gaelen off easy..."True to her word, she did not try to follow him, but part of her spirit was taken away, and it would not be restored until death took her to him, or until the World's End".  I'm assuming you did that on purpose, right? Was it just to close the Rain Chapter of her life and move on with the rest of the story?  I mean, with him dead I suppose it would be a much shorter trilogy if you went down that path. ;-).  In reading it a second time though, I don't see Gaelen giving up so easily without at least "trying" to go to see him where could not go...never stopped her before, right?  Time for some author insight if you're willing.

Offline Archer

• Alterra
      • View Profile
      • www.elfhunter.net
    « Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 10:32:10 am »
    OK, just to be sure I'm on the same page, here...you are referring to the farewell scene in which Rain asks Gaelen not to follow him in death. By that he means 'Don't kill yourself just to be with me. We'll be reunited when your life is over and your destiny has been fulfilled.'  Rain would indeed be devastated if Gaelen gave up her (VERY young) life at that point--he wants her to live it. As it turns out, of course, she has a destiny. Even later, when Rain comes to her on the eternal shore as she is lying (mostly) drowned in the Narrows, he sends her back. She tried to kill herself then so that Gorgon could no longer use her to kill more Elves--understandable in a person as emotionally tenuous as Gaelen is at that point in the story. (Imagine channeling the thoughts of a being like Gorgon!)

The only way Gaelen could follow Rain is to kill herself. She is too courageous and self-aware for that, and she has promised Rain otherwise. He is possibly the only being in Alterra who might actually command her--she has found her way around Ri-Aruin's orders many times. But she has given her word to Rain, and that's the end of it.

Make sense?

(And, yes, there's enough romance to irritate gamers worldwide!)

Offline geoffthomas

• Derwood, Maryland
    • Member 2434
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: May 02, 2011, 11:26:06 am »
    I will catch up.
    But....
    Way back at the beginning we have a description of how Gaelen and Nelwyn are tied together.  Yes they are cousins, but Gaelen's father (Tarfion) and mother (Gloranel) have chosen to journey to the "Twilight Shores" and Nelwyn's father (Turanen) died in the struggle with Wrothgar and his wife (Elwlyn) had decided to join them.  This meant that the she-elves were not only cousins but shared the grief of missing parents. The book says: "they were not yet ready to leave the world and took solace in each other's company.".  Right away we find out how tightly bound together they are.

One might have missed that (I probably did).

Miss you, Dona, Jeff & Harvey! | Member since 02/27/2009 | e-books by Lynn Abbey, CJ Cherryh, & Jane Fancher
    TANSTAAFL (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch)

Offline ibrewalot

• Brookline, NH
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 11:28:17 am »
    I was referring to just after they talk about it and he asks her not to follow...right before the beginning of the next chapter when he actually dies and she senses it.  Just seemed like someone as strong-willed as Gaelen would just sense it and get on with her life in a couple sentences, but I understand the why now per your explaination.  The romance is a good thing in my take, but you're rght about it not fitting into a game when you could be slaying the bad guys.  :-)

Offline geoffthomas

• Derwood, Maryland
    • Member 2434
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: May 02, 2011, 12:21:20 pm »
    Gelmyr really shines (well, Gorgon's imaginary manifestation of him does) later on, though. He might be the character I'd most like to play in the 'movie'. Heheheh! I love it when he waves at himself in Ravenshade.  :D

So it was the author's intention that Gelmyr is a manifestation of Gorgon's mind, not a spirit haunting him?  I kinda thought he was a spirit for the longest time in my first reading.

Miss you, Dona, Jeff & Harvey! | Member since 02/27/2009 | e-books by Lynn Abbey, CJ Cherryh, & Jane Fancher

Offline Archer

• Alterra
      • View Profile
      • www.elfhunter.net
    « Reply #15 on: May 02, 2011, 02:12:03 pm »
    Geoff:

Gelmyr is a figment! (heh!) He's the voice of Gorgon's self-doubt. I loved writing him (being naturally sarcastic). He could just as easily be an actual spirit--until Ravenshade, that is.  :D

Gaelen can't just get on with her life...Rain pulled her apart when he left the world. Rain was one of the strongest spirits ever to grace Alterran soil. When he died, every being of Light knew it. His soul-bound life-mate stood little chance of just getting on with it.

One of the reasons Gaelen is prone to recklessness is that she still holds a tiny little thought in the back corner of her mind...a thought that ends with her reunion with Rain. Orogond is going a long way toward ameliorating that, and, once Gaelen is 'healed' at the start of Ravenshade, her reckless quotient drops a good bit. She carries a part of Rain with her now--it fills the hole in her spirit that he tore away.

Offline ibrewalot

• Brookline, NH
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: May 02, 2011, 03:05:55 pm »
    Oops...sorry, I missed a "not" when I put in the last comment.  That'll teach me to write on a forum while on a short break from the class I'm in this week. 

I would NOT have expected her to just get on with it, but I was surprised there wasn't more about her response.  Doing something rash, heading off to avenge him, screaming..just something more than I read.  I know, were it me and I'd just found the love of my life only to be able to spend precious few hours with them and then they died, I'd be fairly devastated. I'll just have to read the next chapter to find out what really happens, right?   ;D

It also looks like I'm in for a re-read of the whole trilogy+ as well based on what I'm finding I don't remember.  I couldn't be happier with the prospect!

Offline Archer

• Alterra
      • View Profile
      • www.elfhunter.net
    « Reply #17 on: May 02, 2011, 04:04:02 pm »
    Ooh! What kind of class? I'm giving finals this week--then I get to assign grades. Simon Cowell,eat your heart out!

BTW--I have cast my Orogond for Elfhunter--the Movie.
    His name is David Boreanaz.  :D

Offline geoffthomas

• Derwood, Maryland
    • Member 2434
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: May 02, 2011, 05:38:09 pm »
    I can understand David in the role.
    Although my favorite action hunk is Matt Damon.
    They are both good actors and they both make physicality believable.

Just sayin.....

Offline ibrewalot

• Brookline, NH
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: May 02, 2011, 06:22:19 pm »
    I was promoted to Director of Engineering in January and got invited to the Goodrich Leadership Academy in Minneapolis, MN, as a result.  It started Sunday and has been fabulous so far!  It's run by leaders across the company and really well put-together.

Looking forward to the end of school?  Maybe have time to complete the next book then?   ;)

Hmmm, he looks too pretty-boy for my mind's picture of Orogond.  I'm thinking someone older and more robust, I guess.
    « Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 06:25:06 pm by ibrewalot »

Offline ibrewalot

• Brookline, NH
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: May 06, 2011, 02:40:27 pm »
    On to underground Dwarfeniss...Although it pained Gaelen to hear it from Fima, I did appreciate the detail about Rain's end when he tells the story on the way to Clos-Domaine (spelling not intentionally butchered).  Until then I had somewhat of an idea, but his story brings it home.  Granted, he didn't know about her connection and a Dwarf does like to tell a good story, but it was unfortunate she was within earshot.  :'(

Offline Archer

• Alterra
      • View Profile
      • www.elfhunter.net
    « Reply #21 on: May 06, 2011, 06:22:00 pm »
    I love Fima in that scene. He just has no idea. And then...when it dawns on him, he can't shut up! Poor Orogond is about to throw him down and sit on him.

Offline ibrewalot

• Brookline, NH
      • View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: May 24, 2011, 12:25:41 pm »
    Hey, Archer...quick question I meant to ask a while back.  Who's the drawing of that's on about page 317 in the paper copy?  The paragraph adjacent is all about Nelwyn if I remember correctly, but it's a really ugly guy in the pic so it can't be her.  ;)

I'm almost done with the book.  Geez!  Trying to find time to read these days has been ridiculous.  I think I actually like the book better the second time through.  All the things that didn't necessarily fall into place when I read it the first time make sense on the way through this time and it gives a whole new dimension to the story as you read it.

Offline Archer

• Alterra
      • View Profile
      • www.elfhunter.net
    « Reply #23 on: May 27, 2011, 04:34:05 am »
    Hahahaha! No, it isn't Nelwyn. It's Kharsh.  :D

I just got back from NYC. MAN, do I have news! But I cannot yet spill the beans.  :P

Offline ibrewalot

• Brookline, NH
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: May 27, 2011, 05:44:19 am »
    Congrats on the news!  I can only imagine, but I have a good vibe about it.   ;D  Hope to hear soon...

KBoards.com

• Advertisement