Author Topic: "Treespeaker" by Katie W Stewart FREE Dec 4-8  (Read 7934 times)  

Offline Skate

• View Profile
    • Katie W Stewart
"Treespeaker" by Katie W Stewart FREE Dec 4-8
« on: April 20, 2011, 07:16:48 pm »
I've looked around and I THINK this is the right place to post this. I'm sorry if I've got it wrong.

After much soul searching, I have finally plucked up the courage to publish my adult fantasy "Treespeaker" to Kindle. Hopefully I'll get it onto Smashwords too, sooner or later, but I'm feeling brain-dead just from figuring out Kindle!

Here's the blurb:

For the first time in his life, Jakan the Treespeaker is totally alone. Only weeks after the arrival of a stranger in his village, he has lost someone he loves, his home and the respect of the other villagers, and been sent on a journey which could well mean his own death, far outside the protection of the forest. His Treespeaking skills are gone. All he has left is his faith and his determination to save his people. But will that be enough to get him through, in a land so different from his own in every way? Will the thread of life that keeps him tied to the forest and alive, last long enough to bring him home?

This is not a book about good versus evil. It is a book about belonging, balance and belief. It's an adult fantasy, but suitable for anyone 12+

« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 05:32:28 am by Skate »
Kate

Fantasy for all ages.
Katie W. Stewart | author website | blog | facebook | twitter

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline David M. Baum

• The Netherlands
    • Don't call me a peck!
      • View Profile
    Re: "Treespeaker" out on Kindle today
    « Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 06:28:49 am »
    Hello Skate,

This looks like an interesting novel. I certainly like the cover. I will check it out later.  :)
    Aspiring writer.
    Very good at aspiring, not so much at writing.

Offline Skate

• View Profile
      • Katie W Stewart
    « Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 04:17:02 pm »
    Thanks, David!  :D
    Kate

Fantasy for all ages.

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 04:21:23 pm »
    Kate--

Welcome to KindleBoards and congratulations on your book!  

(We like to put a copy of the "welcome letter" in each book thread.  It doesn't mean you've done anything wrong, it just helps us know that you know the rules.)

A brief recap of our rules follows:

--We invite you to use your book cover as your avatar and have links to your book and website in your signature. Instructions are posted here

--Please bookmark this thread (using your browser's bookmark/favorite function) so you can update it as we ask that authors have only one thread per book and add to it when there is more information.  You may start a separate thread for each book (or you may have one thread per series of books, or one thread for all of your books, it's your choice).

--While you may respond to member posts to your thread at any time, you may only bump your thread (back-to-back posts by you) once every seven days.  Once you've responded to a member, that resets the clock to zero and you must wait seven days to post, unless another member posts before then.

--We ask that Amazon reviews not be repeated here as they are easy to find at your book link.  Also, full reviews from other sites should not be posted here, but you may post a short blurb and a link to the full review instead.

--Although self-promotion is limited to the Book Bazaar, our most successful authors have found the best way to promote their books is to be as active throughout KindleBoards as time allows.  This is your target audience--book lovers with Kindles!  Please note that putting link information in the body of your posts constitutes self promotion; please leave your links for your profile signature that will automatically appear on each post.  For information on more ways to promote here on KindleBoards, be sure to check out this thread:
    Authors: KindleBoards Tips & FAQ.

All this, and more, is included in our Forum Decorum: https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,36.0.html.  Be sure to check it from time to time for the current guidelines and rules.

Oh, and one more thing:  be sure to check out the index threads at the top of the Book Bazaar. . . .there are details there about how you can be listed so that our readers can find you.

Thanks for being part of KindleBoards!  Feel free to send us a PM if you have any questions.

Betsy & Ann
    Book Bazaar Moderators
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline David M. Baum

• The Netherlands
    • Don't call me a peck!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 04:28:56 am »
    I've downloaded it and I really liked the opening so far.
    Good job!
    Aspiring writer.

Offline 41352

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 01:20:49 pm »
    Hi Skate! Your cover is really beautiful and the book sounds interesting. Congrats on publishing!  :)

Offline Tiphanie Thomas

• View Profile
      • Tiphanie Thomas
    « Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 01:35:49 pm »
    Good to see a fellow CC'er here, Katie! Promotion looks great.

Heart Stealer
    "A powerful unforgettable love story" - Good Book Alert

Amazon UK
    Tiphanie Thomas
    Facebook
    Twitter

Offline Skate

• View Profile
      • Katie W Stewart
    « Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 03:42:46 pm »
    Thanks, Chrystalla and Tiph!

I just got my first review -

From tiny acorns....., April 23, 2011 By cladonald (Scotland)

A lovely Easter present for me!

[I removed the review itself and left a permalink in its place, as we request that Amazon reviews not be quoted here in full or in part.--Betsy]
    « Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 03:50:26 pm by Betsy the Quilter »
    Kate

Fantasy for all ages.

Offline Skate

• View Profile
      • Katie W Stewart
    « Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 04:16:09 pm »
    Sorry, Betsy!  :(
    Kate

Fantasy for all ages.

Offline David M. Baum

• The Netherlands
    • Don't call me a peck!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 05:42:10 am »
    Hello Kate,

I've finished Treespeaker just now and I am really happy I picked it up.

This story is so different from the normal sword & sorcery fantasy, and even from the fantasy novels I have read that take a less traditional approach. I really liked the subtle way of Arrakeshi magic, and the timid, non-heroic actions of Jakan. Quite fascinating and refreshing.

Are you planning a sequel?

I will write a review for Amazon today or tomorrow.

Regards,
    David
    Aspiring writer.

Offline Skate

• View Profile
      • Katie W Stewart
    « Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 06:09:27 am »
    Thanks, David! I very much look forward to your review. Yes, I'm working on a sequel at the moment. No promises as to when it will be finished, but hopefully this year.
    Kate

Fantasy for all ages.

Offline David M. Baum

• The Netherlands
    • Don't call me a peck!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 05:01:43 pm »
    Keep me posted. I'd really want to read it.

Amazon review submitted.
    Aspiring writer.

Offline Skate

• View Profile
      • Katie W Stewart
    « Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 02:29:27 am »
    Wow, David, it's a fantastic review! I can't thank you enough.

Kate
    Kate

Fantasy for all ages.

Offline Skate

• View Profile
      • Katie W Stewart
    « Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 05:09:43 am »
    I was thrilled to get another five star review this week. A great way to start the month!  ;D

http://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/AQNQL0DO5SML5/ref=cm_cr_dp_pdp
    Kate

Fantasy for all ages.

Offline Skate

• View Profile
      • Katie W Stewart
    « Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 01:50:01 am »
    This is an excerpt from Treespeaker http://www.amazon.com/Treespeaker-ebook/dp/B004XDBOJG

Jakan stepped up to Grifads stuck-out chest. He looked down on the man and growled, This isnt Council business. Its a private matter I wish to discuss. Now, if you would be so kind as to step out for a moment, I wont disturb you for long.

He could see the pulse beating in Grifads neck as the Elder backed away, shooing his wife outside. As the door shut behind them, Beldror rose to his feet, looking amused by the whole scene. Keep me calm, Arrakesh, Jakan prayed as his hands shook.

Beldror, as a guest in this village youre bound by the same laws as the people of Arrakesh. In encouraging those boys to go against the edicts of the SpringSpeak, you have broken those laws. Therefore, I insist that you leave, at once.

Beldror moved a step closer and folded his arms. Strong words, Treespeaker. There was more than a hint of sarcasm in his voice. You told Grifad that this wasnt a Council matter, but I believe it is they who decide who may and may not be here. It would, of course, have to be a majority decision, there being no Chief Elder at the moment.

Its Arrakesh who decides. Hes decided.

Again Beldror took another step closer. Though Jakan was quite tall for an Arrakeshi, Beldror was of typical Carlikan stature and stood a good head and shoulders taller than him. He glowered down at Jakan with undisguised loathing.

I am here, Treespeaker. Your beloved Arrakesh let me in. If he wants me to leave, then he or you must make me.

Jakan looked Beldror in the eye, clenching his jaw against the clawing pain in his head and clinging to the soothing voice of Arrakesh. I dont know how you got through the Veil, or what power you have over my people. I dont know what you expect to achieve by taking over their minds. But I do know this: while I have breath in my body, Ill do everything in my power to stop you.

Beldror threw back his head and laughed. Brave little Treespeaker! I would never have thought you had it in you. Then the smile vanished and he put his face close to Jakans. You may have been strong enough to fight me so far, but I will have your mind for my own one day, or you will indeed be without breath.

He strode to the door and flung it open. Grifad almost fell into the room. Beldror regarded him with disdain before glaring at Jakan.

Goodnight, Treespeaker, Im sure well speak again very soon.

Jakan left, thankful that the pain in his head was subsiding and wishing once again that he could seek Kattans advice.

If you'd like to read more, the first chapter is on my blog - http://treespeaker.blogspot.com/2011/04/preview.html
    Kate

Fantasy for all ages.

Offline barbara elsborg

• View Profile
      • www.barbaraelsborg.com
    « Reply #15 on: May 17, 2011, 04:07:16 am »
    Waves to Kate!! Well you know I've read it and bought it!! And read some of the sequel though I wonder how much you've changed!! Well done on the reviews!!!!!!

Offline David M. Baum

• The Netherlands
    • Don't call me a peck!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: May 17, 2011, 07:16:06 am »
    And read some of the sequel though I wonder how much you've changed!!
    *Perks up* Sequel? Where? When?
    I really enjoyed Treespeaker, and I'd love to read a sequel.
    Aspiring writer.

Offline Skate

• View Profile
      • Katie W Stewart
    « Reply #17 on: May 17, 2011, 03:59:29 pm »
    Hi Barbara and David,

Yes, the sequel - tentatively entitled 'Forest Child' - is on its way, rather slowly. I've changed the middle, Barbara, but most of the beginning will be the same as you've read. I just need to finish it! Hopefully by the end of the year, maybe earlier if I can really knuckle down. Knowing people are looking for it will spur me on! :D

Skate
    Kate

Fantasy for all ages.

Offline barbara elsborg

• View Profile
      • www.barbaraelsborg.com
    « Reply #18 on: May 18, 2011, 06:02:16 am »
    If only that worked with me!! I think I need someone wielding a whip!!

Offline Arlene Webb

• New York State, USA
      • View Profile
      • Arlene Webb
    « Reply #19 on: May 18, 2011, 09:52:05 am »
    Congrats, Skate. If Barbara recommends this, I know I'll love it. I left my...hey, I dont need my kindle, I need to go to amazon and click buy, then it'll be waiting to download. I'm half way through Cartier's Ring by another CC member, but if I get yours now I wont forget. I'm learning how to use this place, so pardon my screwups if this doesnt post right.

Offline Arlene Webb

• New York State, USA
      • View Profile
      • Arlene Webb
    « Reply #20 on: May 18, 2011, 09:55:37 am »
    wow. I just had to click on your book cover, and I was right there to buy! And, 99 cents? Geez. I know I'm seriously slow. Too much going on, but I'll eventually slap up a review. I'm doing alot more reading of e-books at night now, the kindle is awesome.

Offline David M. Baum

• The Netherlands
    • Don't call me a peck!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: May 18, 2011, 12:46:45 pm »
    If only that worked with me!! I think I need someone wielding a whip!!
    So, you are working on a SM novel now?  ;D

Just write the sequel, Kate. Please?
    Aspiring writer.

Offline Skate

• View Profile
      • Katie W Stewart
    « Reply #22 on: May 19, 2011, 06:32:00 am »
    I'm trying, David, I promise. I just keep getting distracted.  ::)
    Kate

Fantasy for all ages.

Offline Skate

• View Profile
      • Katie W Stewart
    « Reply #23 on: May 28, 2011, 02:23:10 am »
    For those who've read Treespeaker and are wondering about the sequel, here's an extract from the first chapter. At the moment the novel is titled 'Forest Child', but I'm thinking of renaming it 'Song of the Jikhoshi'. Which do you like better?

Its true, Truffle-boy. You came out of the ground. Your father dug you up. Just like a fungus.

Zanarr clenched his fists and glared at the boy who taunted him. Lishak sneered back. Nearby, another smaller, fair-haired boy sniggered. As Zannars angry gaze fell on him, the boy paled and stared straight-faced at the ground, stirring the leaves of the forest floor with his toe.

Taking advantage of Zanarrs inattention, Lishak leapt forward, his arms outstretched, his hands thumping. Though he was shorter, his momentum slammed the taller boy to the ground. Zanarr grunted as his back hit the root of a tree. The pain further added to his anger.

Lishaks fists pounded on Zanarrs chest. Go back into the dirt Truffle-boy. We dont want you around here.

The words hit harder than the fists. Why did he keep talking about truffles? Babies came from a womans mounding stomach, just as Gretas would in the next few weeks. Everyone knew that. So why must this little rat keep insisting that hed been dug up?

Only stupid people would believe something like that. Zanarr heaved the flailing boy from him and pushed him to the side, then rolled over to pin him down.

Lishaks blue eyes narrowed and his words spat from his mouth. Youre not like us, Truffle-boy. Youre not like anyone.

With a grunt of disgust, Zanarr clambered to his feet. From the corner of his eye, he could see the rats friend sidling out of reach. He made no move to stop him. He was harmless, a mindless follower. His heart beat fast as he fought down the urge to grab his tormenter by the throat.

Lishak stood and backed away. Jakanash was a fool not to have buried you instead.

At these words, something sparked in Zanarrs brain. He could take all the slingshots anyone had to offer about himself, but this was different. Jakanash a fool? That was disrespect for the Chief Elder, disrespect for his father. A burning sensation tore through his mind. It tingled down his neck and arm and into his hand. It burned in his palm. It frightened him, yet made him feel stronger than he ever had before. Without thinking, he pulled his fist back then thrust it forward, loosening his fingers as it moved. He watched, fascinated, as a ball of blue light about the size of a small apple shot from his hand. It landed in the centre of Lishaks chest.

The forest fell silent as the boys eyes opened wide in shock. He collapsed backwards like a felled tree, landing with a thud on the soft forest floor. He laid there, his eyes closed, his chest rising and falling, as if he slept.

Zanarr stared at him with a mixture of fear and awe. What had he just done? There had been so much power in that blue light. His power. How had he done that?

A high-pitched scream brought Zanarrs thoughts back to reality. Lishaks friend stood on the forest path, shrieking like a girl. Zanarrs heart skipped a beat as he saw his older brother, Dovan, heading up the forest path from one direction and Lishaks father from the other. Had they seen what he did? With one quick glance at the prostrate body, he leapt over a log and raced off into the trees, leaving the screeching behind him.
    Kate

Fantasy for all ages.

Offline Andre Jute

• "Wild but exciting." New York Times
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: May 28, 2011, 09:30:14 am »
    I vote for 'Song of the Jikhoshi'.  That specifies and differentiates the story. 'A Forest Child' isn't bad either -- good resonances with your readership -- but much less specific.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement