Author Topic: Anyone a Historical Romance Fan?  (Read 406440 times)  

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
  • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone a Historical Romance Fan?
« Reply #5350 on: May 11, 2020, 04:40:37 pm »
The latest in Lorraine Heath's A Sins for all Seasons series is out. The Earl Takes a Fancy is Fancy Trewlove's story.

Sorry, Link-Maker not working for me today.

Currently reading Jane Feather's Seduce Me with Sapphires, but it is just not keeping my attention as well as the first in her The London Jewel Trilogy did. Anyone else reading that one? May have to just switch to the Lorraine Heath and then try to get through the other one at a later date.

I bought the Heath right away, but didn't get around to reading it until yesterday and I loved it!  I've enjoyed the entire series, all 4- or 5-stars from me.

Jane Feather is always hit or miss for me (mostly just good, not great), but off the top of my head I can't remember a Heath I didn't like.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline readingril

• View Profile
    « Reply #5351 on: May 14, 2020, 04:26:32 am »
    I bought the Heath right away, but didn't get around to reading it until yesterday and I loved it!  I've enjoyed the entire series, all 4- or 5-stars from me.

Jane Feather is always hit or miss for me (mostly just good, not great), but off the top of my head I can't remember a Heath I didn't like.

I am s-l-o-w-l-y reading The Earl Takes A Fancy, because I'm enjoying it so much.

It really says something for a series that I read from Overdrive that I end up purchasing all the books. Lorraine Heath's A Sins for all Seasons is definitely one of those kind of series.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5352 on: May 21, 2020, 07:10:37 am »
    Its nice when you read a book you really really like and savor throughout. Wish every single book was like that. Or would we then not apprecate the really good ones?

I finished A Stella Riley. Hazard. I love this author, love love. Georgian time and its the 5th in the Rockcliffe series, I am going straight into number 6 now, I already owned both books. Got those with the last batch of ebook moneys we got for some publisher thingie.
    This would be so much nicer with the link maker. Those books have such nice period covers.

Offline worktolive

• View Profile
    « Reply #5353 on: May 21, 2020, 07:52:03 am »
    I was so hoping the Linkmaker would be fixed, but it looks like that's not going to happen. :-(

I haven't been reading much, mainly contemporaries from Netgalley and the library, but I did finally read A Wicked Kind of Husband by Mia Vincy. I was surprised by it. I loved it, but it was much more serious than I was expecting. From the initial sample, I thought it was going to be all light-hearted banter but it got heavy pretty quickly.

I also read The Rakess by Scarlett Peckham - another VERY heavy/serious book, with a trope/character reversal that you rarely see in a historical romance. The heroine is the one that acted the part of the rake. In fact, she acted like an alpha-hole for much of the book while the hero was the one who was inexplicably drawn to her no matter how badly she treated him. I can forgive my heroines a lot and usually love so-called "unlikable" heroines, but even for me, she was a bit much to take. She had a tragic backstory that drove her, but still.....

The pandemic has definitely affected my current reading tastes. Right now, all I want are cuddly cinnamon roll heroes, strong heroines, and in general, characters that are KIND to each other.  :D

Offline worktolive

• View Profile
    « Reply #5354 on: May 21, 2020, 07:56:10 am »
    Oh, and I almost forgot! My library loan for Chasing Cassandra by Lisa Kleypas came through. Not a cinnamon roll  hero  ;D, but otherwise, EXACTLY what I'm currently in the mood for - low conflict, a sunny, optimistic heroine, and a hero that is all in even though he's baffled by all of these "feels" that he's suddenly having, for her and for everyone else in his life.

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5355 on: May 21, 2020, 10:12:19 am »
    Eloisa James' latest release in the Wildes of Lindow Castle series, Say Yes to the Duke, showed up on my Kindle on Tuesday so I am looking forward to reading that.

I finally decided to go ahead and pay the $7.99 each prices to finish the older Mary Balogh Survivor series and am on the final book now.  I think this has been my favorite of all her series.

I am pretty much exclusively reading historical romances right now.  My current attitude about the state of life needs knowing there will be true love and a Happy Ever After ending - at least in fiction.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5356 on: May 21, 2020, 01:58:46 pm »
    I hear you. I had to put down a darker type fantasy/UF one. Nope, not now. I still read some historical mysteries, but the ones I read usually have some romantic elements in there too. But yeah, HR all the way right now.
    Take me away Dukeling.  ;D

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5357 on: May 21, 2020, 05:29:39 pm »

Take me away Dukeling.  ;D

I have to agree except for one slight skew off course. I decided it was time to figure out where I left off in the In Death series. I'm more than 10 books behind in the series. May take awhile to catch up since I don't see myself reading multiples of the series in a row. I'll be ready for the Eloisa James mentioned above once I finish the J D Robb.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5358 on: May 22, 2020, 08:48:11 am »
    ooooohh, its been a while I read a In Death. Those work too. No contemporary stuff for me though.

I'll have to dig into my books. I want to read some HR I bought back in what was it, 2010? Back when there were many sales and it was before we had kindle books in libraries. I know I bought a LOT of those publisher sales. Most were HR. So I need to go back there and pull some out of the pile.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement