Author Topic: Anyone a Historical Romance Fan?  (Read 414987 times)  

Online readingril

• View Profile
Re: Anyone a Historical Romance Fan?
« Reply #5350 on: May 14, 2020, 04:26:32 am »
I bought the Heath right away, but didn't get around to reading it until yesterday and I loved it!  I've enjoyed the entire series, all 4- or 5-stars from me.

Jane Feather is always hit or miss for me (mostly just good, not great), but off the top of my head I can't remember a Heath I didn't like.

I am s-l-o-w-l-y reading The Earl Takes A Fancy, because I'm enjoying it so much.

It really says something for a series that I read from Overdrive that I end up purchasing all the books. Lorraine Heath's A Sins for all Seasons is definitely one of those kind of series.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5351 on: May 21, 2020, 07:10:37 am »
    Its nice when you read a book you really really like and savor throughout. Wish every single book was like that. Or would we then not apprecate the really good ones?

I finished A Stella Riley. Hazard. I love this author, love love. Georgian time and its the 5th in the Rockcliffe series, I am going straight into number 6 now, I already owned both books. Got those with the last batch of ebook moneys we got for some publisher thingie.
    This would be so much nicer with the link maker. Those books have such nice period covers.

Offline worktolive

• View Profile
    « Reply #5352 on: May 21, 2020, 07:52:03 am »
    I was so hoping the Linkmaker would be fixed, but it looks like that's not going to happen. :-(

I haven't been reading much, mainly contemporaries from Netgalley and the library, but I did finally read A Wicked Kind of Husband by Mia Vincy. I was surprised by it. I loved it, but it was much more serious than I was expecting. From the initial sample, I thought it was going to be all light-hearted banter but it got heavy pretty quickly.

I also read The Rakess by Scarlett Peckham - another VERY heavy/serious book, with a trope/character reversal that you rarely see in a historical romance. The heroine is the one that acted the part of the rake. In fact, she acted like an alpha-hole for much of the book while the hero was the one who was inexplicably drawn to her no matter how badly she treated him. I can forgive my heroines a lot and usually love so-called "unlikable" heroines, but even for me, she was a bit much to take. She had a tragic backstory that drove her, but still.....

The pandemic has definitely affected my current reading tastes. Right now, all I want are cuddly cinnamon roll heroes, strong heroines, and in general, characters that are KIND to each other.  :D

Offline worktolive

• View Profile
    « Reply #5353 on: May 21, 2020, 07:56:10 am »
    Oh, and I almost forgot! My library loan for Chasing Cassandra by Lisa Kleypas came through. Not a cinnamon roll  hero  ;D, but otherwise, EXACTLY what I'm currently in the mood for - low conflict, a sunny, optimistic heroine, and a hero that is all in even though he's baffled by all of these "feels" that he's suddenly having, for her and for everyone else in his life.

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5354 on: May 21, 2020, 10:12:19 am »
    Eloisa James' latest release in the Wildes of Lindow Castle series, Say Yes to the Duke, showed up on my Kindle on Tuesday so I am looking forward to reading that.

I finally decided to go ahead and pay the $7.99 each prices to finish the older Mary Balogh Survivor series and am on the final book now.  I think this has been my favorite of all her series.

I am pretty much exclusively reading historical romances right now.  My current attitude about the state of life needs knowing there will be true love and a Happy Ever After ending - at least in fiction.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5355 on: May 21, 2020, 01:58:46 pm »
    I hear you. I had to put down a darker type fantasy/UF one. Nope, not now. I still read some historical mysteries, but the ones I read usually have some romantic elements in there too. But yeah, HR all the way right now.
    Take me away Dukeling.  ;D

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5356 on: May 21, 2020, 05:29:39 pm »

Take me away Dukeling.  ;D

I have to agree except for one slight skew off course. I decided it was time to figure out where I left off in the In Death series. I'm more than 10 books behind in the series. May take awhile to catch up since I don't see myself reading multiples of the series in a row. I'll be ready for the Eloisa James mentioned above once I finish the J D Robb.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5357 on: May 22, 2020, 08:48:11 am »
    ooooohh, its been a while I read a In Death. Those work too. No contemporary stuff for me though.

I'll have to dig into my books. I want to read some HR I bought back in what was it, 2010? Back when there were many sales and it was before we had kindle books in libraries. I know I bought a LOT of those publisher sales. Most were HR. So I need to go back there and pull some out of the pile.

Offline Wisteria Clematis

• Pacific Northwest
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5358 on: June 15, 2020, 10:21:29 pm »
    R.I.P. Karen Ranney. You will be greatly missed.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5359 on: June 16, 2020, 07:02:35 pm »
    Oh no. I love Karen Ranney. What a loss. Wow. So many great books. One of my favorite HR authors. 2 of my kindles are named after one of her characters and one after a series by her. Macrath and MacIain.

:(

Offline Wisteria Clematis

• Pacific Northwest
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5360 on: July 14, 2020, 06:04:27 am »
    What happened to this thread? Are we all checking out of kboards, then? It makes me a little sad.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5361 on: July 14, 2020, 09:04:04 am »
    Still here. I have been having a really really hard time reading lately. My brain just can't let go and get into a book. I been binge watching shows on TV instead. I keep checking in, but since my last post nobody else had posted.  :(

What are you reading? Anything good? I think I need a lighter page turner that isn't super long. Like maybe a nice recency. Anyone got any ideas? I really need to read a book again. Maybe if I find the right one I can get into it.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5362 on: July 14, 2020, 09:20:27 am »
    I just finished

I'd had it on a 'wish list' at the library for forever and picked it up a couple of weeks ago. Definitely historical ... lighter on the romance but it's there. I enjoyed it. It features Alais Capet who was supposed to be the wife of Richard I until his father Henry II took her as his mistress. This takes place many years later -- Both Henry and Richard are dead, John is King, and he's got his tights in a twist about rumors that Alais had a child by Henry who would be a claimant to the throne.

This one is only $4 to buy and there's a sequel as well.
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5363 on: July 14, 2020, 01:08:10 pm »
    Ii just read The Derrings series by Sophie Jordan which were okay but not exceptional.  The first two are available on Kindle Unlimited.  I also read Say Yes to the Duke by Eloisa James which was a light but fun read and recently I've been reading some cozy mysteries -- Mystic Notch --  by Leighann Dobbs which would belong on another thread.  They also are on K. Unlimited.  Light, fairly short but fun and not stressful.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5364 on: July 14, 2020, 02:16:52 pm »
    Thanks guys. I am going to do something I never do normally. Read samples. Gasp  :o :o :o :o.

I figure, if I can stick with it for those 10 percent, it might kick me out of this reading funk I am in. I guess its time to change my reading methods. Now why does that word look so weird typed out to me now. Methods. All I see is Me and thods. Me-thods. I think the 106 temperature is getting to me.  :-X

Offline worktolive

• View Profile
    « Reply #5365 on: July 14, 2020, 04:20:56 pm »
    I've been reading but only about half as many books as I normally read in a month, and mainly contemporaries/UF not historical. However, I did read a book with two Regency novellas, one by Emily Larkin and one by Grace Burrowes. The book is called Love and Other Perils. I picked it up because it's $0.99 and both featured stories with kitties. :D  Both novellas were both pretty lighthearted and not requiring much brain power.

Ann in Arlington, how did you get the Linkmaker to work? I haven't been able to do so for months.

https://smile.amazon.com/Love-Other-Perils-Regency-Novella-ebook/dp/B07V2PMV99/ref=sr_1_1?crid=TS8DNLIQGVZF&dchild=1&keywords=love+and+other+perils+a+regency+novella+duet&qid=1594768675&s=digital-text&sprefix=love+and+other+perils%2Cdigital-text%2C213&sr=1-1

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5366 on: July 14, 2020, 05:47:59 pm »
    I'm still around, too.  Nothing much to add, a reading slump goes along with my life attitude slump.  Sigh ... 2020 has really sucked.

worktolive, when you go to the Link-Maker page, look at the bottom of the page and it says something about the "manual link-maker here"  the "here" is a blue link to Harvey's original link-maker and takes an extra step or two, but still works.

I haven't been excited about any historical romances since I devoured the Survivor series by Mary Balogh in May.  Although, Say Yes to the Duke was a good fluffy read.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5367 on: July 14, 2020, 06:28:35 pm »

Ann in Arlington, how did you get the Linkmaker to work? I haven't been able to do so for months.

The automatic one is broken .... but if you use the original manual one, it works. The italicized sentence

(Note: the older, manual version of Link-Maker is available here.)

at the bottom has the link to it by clicking the word "here".

Copy the ASIN and enter the text you want to use for a text link, or copy the image location and enter it for an image link. Then click the 'create kboards link' button.

Here's a link directly to that if anyone wants to bookmark it or something.

https://www.kboards.com/link/link-maker-1-0.php
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline worktolive

• View Profile
    « Reply #5368 on: July 14, 2020, 09:24:47 pm »
    Thanks all! Now let's see if I can remember how to do this next time! I'd guess I'd better read another historical soon so that I can come back here, post about it, and practice the manual linkmaker again.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 03:58:08 pm by worktolive »

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5369 on: July 15, 2020, 06:04:24 am »
    Same here for just not spending much time reading.

Almost finished with Sarah MacLean's third book in the Bare Knuckle [illegitimate persons] series - Daring and the Duke. Not a bad read, I just don't seem to be able to settle down to read for very long.

Sorry, too early in the morning for me to try to figure out the link maker at this time.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5370 on: July 15, 2020, 09:51:21 am »
    I feel like I'm reading more .... but also more of a variety. Getting out of my genre comfort zone a bit. :D
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5371 on: August 18, 2020, 08:08:21 am »

In today's Kindle Daily Deals for $1.99

Sorry, I don't see the tag to change the image size in the code.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5372 on: August 18, 2020, 09:49:19 am »
    Ohhh, its a good one. I read it already as I love this author. Its dark and sweet dramatic at the same time. This author does take stories to those levels. Has a bit of a gothic flair to it due to the hero being called the Terror of Torcliff.  ;D

If some things bother you in books, especially darker ones I put this in spoiler tag.
    beware there is sexual assault toward heroine at beginning

Offline Trophywife007

• Central CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5373 on: August 18, 2020, 09:50:15 am »
    Thanks, Crebel!

Offline loonlover

• Arkansas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5374 on: August 18, 2020, 06:53:13 pm »
    I read Mia Vincy's A Dangerous Kind of Lady (Longhope Abbey Book 2) last week. It kept my interest for the most part but there was a slight disconnect from the heroine. A Wicked Kind of Husband was the best of the three in my opinion. The author states they can be read as stand alone novels and can be read out of order. It didn't cause any consternation as Cassandra was married and I interpreted this book's taking place before the story line in A Wicked Kind of Husband.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement