Author Topic: Kwik Tek Dry Pak Review  (Read 8186 times)  

Offline eneisch

• View Profile
Kwik Tek Dry Pak Review
« on: April 04, 2009, 08:33:23 am »
After reading the thread about reading the kindle in the tub (https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,5869.0.html) I decided, based on one of the posters comments, to order a Kwik Tek Dry Pak for use in keeping my kindle dry while reading in the tub, for use in keeping sand off at the beach, etc.  The item I bought can be found at this Amazon link:

Kwik Tek Dry Pak Multi-Purpose Case (Clear 9-Inch x 12-Inch)

I actually ordered two and used free shipping.  It took about four days to reach me.  The item appeared as shown below when it arrived.

The bag measures 9" wide by 12" long.  Kwik Tek also makes a 6" wide by 9" pak that is closer in size to the Kindle2, but reviews on the Amazon web site stated that the kindle did not fit in this bag due to the yellow ring holders on the bottom of the pak.  The plastic is pretty thick and is very clear.  It is much clearer than a ziploc bag (which is what I used before I got this).

The pak uses a secure reusable sealing system that is unlike a ziploc bag.  There are four black "switches" on the face that when rotated press the rubber of the seals together with enough tightness that it keeps water out.  Flipping the switches back releases the seal.

The bag is plenty roomy for the Kindle2.  You can keep the Amazon cover on while in the pak.  You can also fold back the cover and place it inside the pak.

I have used it in the tub several times, but I have yet to get it wet.  Kwik Tek suggests testing the pak by placing a paper towel it and submersing.  If the paper towel stays dry the bag is water-tight.  I have yet to try this test.

In summary I like the Kwik Tek Dry Pak.  The price of $12.99 is reasonable for a reusable bag like this and I think it affords more protection than using a ziploc type bag.  Pros and Cons are as follows:

Pros:
Keeps the Kindle protected from water, sand, etc.
Clearer plastic than a ziploc bag
Can be used for other electronics when traveling
Secure closing mechanism.

Cons:
Size - I wish it was a little closer to the dimensions of the kindle2
Plastic of the bag is a little shiny and may create glare/reflections depending on lighting situation.

Hope everyone finds this informative!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 04:05:05 pm by Harvey »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline intinst

• Shannon Hills, AR
    • 'just enough clouds to create a beautiful sunset
      • View Profile
    Re: Kwik Tek Dry Pak Review
    « Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 08:43:41 am »
    Thank you for the review and the pictures.

Edit to ad:

I have one of these that I use with my KK while backpacking.
    « Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 01:55:03 pm by intinst »
    A great many people now reading and writing would be better employed keeping rabbits.  Edith Sitwell 
    Your work is to keep cranking the flywheel that turns the gears that spin the belt in the
    engine of belief that keeps you and your desk in midair. Annie Dillard

Located just outside Little Rock, Arkansas

Offline VictoriaP

• Rainy, dreary, gray Puget Sound
    • ^ ...wish I was back here...
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 09:00:47 am »
    Eneisch, thanks for posting a terrific and thorough review!

I've had one of these for several weeks now and love it.  One con I've found though is that while all of the push buttons are easy enough to use with the K2 in this bag, the 5 way control and the on/off/sleep switch are less so due to the thick gauge of the vinyl.  It's a small price to pay for the level of protection, but it does mean you're best off getting set up in your book prior to closing the top of the bag, and then not putting it down long enough for it to put itself to sleep.

A minor inconvenience for the joy of being able to continue reading in the tub without having to switch back to a DTB!
    "If you will practice being fictional for a while, you will understand that fictional characters are sometimes more real than people with bodies and heartbeats." -- Richard Bach, "Illusions"

Offline aaco

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 01:47:44 pm »
    My partner ordered this dry pak, too.  He uses it all the time (he takes a lot of baths!), and has no complaints about the product.

Offline KBoards Admin

• Administrator
    • Bellingham WA
    • Love all, moderate all.
      • View Profile
      • KBoards
    « Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 04:18:36 pm »
    Nice review! We are showcasing your post in today's blog: https://www.kboards.com/blog/2009/04/in-the-tub-at-the-beach-protect-your-kindle/
    Flint and Flame: 15%

Authors: set up your own work-in-progress bar with our Author Sig tool.

Offline mvdarend

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 10:18:36 pm »

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I didn't find that my post warranted a new thread seeing as the original review was so good.

I can confirm that the Kindle 3 fits in the 6" x 9" dry-pak snugly. (although not while in the Amazon Case.)

It is also easy to navigate around, but the on/off/sleep switch is very difficult to operate (although it is possible).

*Edit - Added picture
    « Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 11:06:02 pm by mvdarend »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement