Author Topic: Octovo K2 sleeve review  (Read 5289 times)  

Offline VictoriaP

• Rainy, dreary, gray Puget Sound
  • ^ ...wish I was back here...
    • View Profile
Octovo K2 sleeve review
« on: April 06, 2009, 04:29:17 pm »
Due to health issues, I recently decided I needed a lightweight alternative to the Oberon cover for the K2, which is my primary method of protecting the Kindle.  I did a fair amount of research and ordered the Octovo sleeve from Amazon.

The Octovo sleeve is a non leather product at the lower end of the price range for K2 protection.  It ships directly through Amazon, so it's eligible for either free super saver shipping (though it falls just under the $25 threshold) or for free two day air under Amazon prime.  The pictures on the Amazon listing are accurate both in terms of color and structure, so I won't be taking pics for this review.

Pros:
  • Super lightweight: At 2.9 ounces, the Octovo is the lightest protection we've seen so far for the K2
  • Padded on both front and back, no issue with direction of K2 screen when putting it away
  • Snug fit and close fitted edges means no wasted space when putting it into another bag
  • Relatively stiff case plus padding means less worry about other items impacting the K2 screen.  Protection for the front, back, and sides is more than adequate.

Cons:
  • Biggest issue:  The snug fit of this case is TOO snug.  The K2 slides in easily--and there's no way it will fall out--because there's also no way you can pull it back out one-handed.  Or even two handed.  I've only been able to remove it by using my left hand to brace the case edge against my side while using my right to withdraw the K2.  I know the Waterfield uses a ribbon tab to help pull the K2 from their Slip Case; if I keep this, I'll probably have to add something similar.  Note: It's unknown at this time if this issue is limited to just the one I received, or if this is a general manufacturing issue.  I'll be using it for a few days to see also if it loosens up at all.
  • Non leather.  For some, I understand this will be a pro.  The outgassing stench is absolutely horrid, though no worse than any other plastic based fake leather item I've bought.
  • Cheaply made.  It's clear that the liner is glued in, which would be fine, but there is nothing covering it at the opening edge.  You have to wonder how long that edge will last with the K2 being put in & taken out regularly.  Additionally, the cut edge of the fake leather is slightly rough in spots, and the embossed logo is slightly crooked.  A style winner, this is not.
  • Like other fitted slip cases, this one is open at the top.  I've yet to see a case as snug as this or the Waterfield that doesn't leave the top of the K2 exposed, and most people are going to be tossing this into another bag, but it's something you need to be aware of.

Overall:

For the price point, this is a reasonable choice for protecting a K2 if you prefer a case to a book-like cover and are more concerned with protection & price over style.  It's not a high end product, and shouldn't be judged as such.  It's insanely lightweight, decently padded, and I don't doubt its ability to protect the screen as well as anything else currently on the market.  Long term durability of the liner could be an issue, but again, at this price point, if it lasts a year most people will be satisfied.  I'm assuming the overly tight fit is limited to this unit as there are no complaints listed in the Amazon reviews; if this proves to be a consistent issue with manufacturing, the product would be downgraded to a "don't buy".

Edit:  I did ultimately return the Octo sleeve as the fit made the unit unusable for my purposes.  Others have noted that the problem may be limited to those who use a skin with their Kindle--the extra micro-millimeter thickness added may be too much for the manufacturing tolerances of this case.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 01:53:20 pm by VictoriaP »
"If you will practice being fictional for a while, you will understand that fictional characters are sometimes more real than people with bodies and heartbeats." -- Richard Bach, "Illusions"

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline pomlover2586

• CA
      • View Profile
    Re: Octovo K2 sleeve -- first look
    « Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 09:30:13 pm »
    Awesome thanks!
    Elaina

Offline mominsky

• View Profile
    Re: Octovo K2 sleeve review
    « Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 05:10:06 pm »
    thanks for the review - this is the case i am thinking of ordering.  i am definitely one to read the device "naked"....so i want a sleeve.  it is between this and the neoprene one - but the neoprene one has a zipper and i worry that the inside of the zipper will scratch the kindle, and also that this one being more rigid, would provide better protection if things are pushed against it inside my wife's purse when traveling on and off a plane or something.

Offline JetJammer

• Colorado
    • Flight #1623
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 05:14:56 pm »
    thanks for the review - this is the case i am thinking of ordering.  i am definitely one to read the device "naked"....so i want a sleeve.  it is between this and the neoprene one - but the neoprene one has a zipper and i worry that the inside of the zipper will scratch the kindle, and also that this one being more rigid, would provide better protection if things are pushed against it inside my wife's purse when traveling on and off a plane or something.

You might also look at the Waterfield sleeve (if you haven't already).  I have 2 of them for my K2, and they work perfectly well with my decal girl skins.

www.sfbags.com

(Make your own reading bar)
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.  -  Mark Twain

Offline VictoriaP

• Rainy, dreary, gray Puget Sound
    • ^ ...wish I was back here...
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 05:20:30 pm »
    I ultimately went with the TrendyDigital Simplicity sleeve, and I've been far more pleased with it.  It has a more elegant look, and I've had none of the issues I had with the Octo sleeve.  The review for that one is here, complete with pictures:  https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,9314.0.html 

The Waterfield sleeve would probably have been the next step if I hadn't gone with the Simplicity, they're a good company from everything I've heard.
    "If you will practice being fictional for a while, you will understand that fictional characters are sometimes more real than people with bodies and heartbeats." -- Richard Bach, "Illusions"

Offline mominsky

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 04:50:29 pm »
    well, after looking at the other sleeves, i really do like the look of the OCTO one, so i ordered it.  should come in next weds - my alarm clock broke this morning and i LOVED the one i had, so I ordered the newer version of it from amazon as well, and since an alarm clock is a bit important for me to get SOON, I decided to pay for the standard ground shipping over the free super saver :-P

i will post back here with my thoughts of the case once i get it.  I also have a new Kindle coming as my 5-way controller was having a problem.

Offline Trilby

• Connecticut
    • Christina1960 @ WWF,Emmaline31970 @ We Rule
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 03:51:25 pm »
    Hi, thanks for the review. I think this is the sleeve I ordered with my Kindle. I'll know by Wednesday 29 July. I hope it fits okay, but if not, I will return it.

~Christina~
    I love cozy mysteries!!

Offline KindleKay (aka #1652)

• AR
    • http://www.KindleKay.wordpress.com
      • View Profile
      • The World Through My Eyes.... Blog
    « Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 03:57:09 pm »
    my alarm clock broke this morning and i LOVED the one i had, so I ordered the newer version of it from amazon as well, and since an alarm clock is a bit important for me to get SOON, I decided to pay for the standard ground shipping over the free super saver :-P

What alarm clock do you LOVE?

eBay Kindle 1 Auction Won 1.29.09
    Shipped from seller 1.30.09
    K1 Delivered  2.2.09
    K2 Ordered 7.12.09 
    K1 Sold 7.13.09
    K2 Delivered 7.14.09
    The Best Kindle 1 Watch Story EVER- MINE!
    My Goodreads account, be my friend!

Offline OCTOVO

• San Francisco USA
    • Kindle Accessories by Octovo - Read in Style!
      • View Profile
      • Octovo - Accessories for Smart devices
    « Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 04:52:00 pm »
    Hi all,

OCTO here, just to let you know we have made this case available in many different colors;

See link; http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=OCTO

Many thanks for your feedback and support,

Regards,

Elle
    OCTO
    [email protected]
    OCTOVO
    Read in Style
    www.octostyle.com

Offline cheerio

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 02:46:00 pm »
    Glad to see suppliers here also, KB is one hugh network
    "Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt

"A successful person is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks that others throw at him or her." David Brinkle

Offline kevindorsey

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: December 19, 2009, 06:13:04 pm »
    good review!

Offline cheerio

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 09:58:18 am »
    I have noticed that your company does sell a lot of these, must be a good product

"A successful person is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks that others throw at him or her." David Brinkle

Offline R. M. Reed

• Glendale, CA
      • View Profile
      • Barstow Productions
    « Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 10:31:27 am »
    Um, Octo, Octovo - the same company? Did the reviewer type it wrong?

Offline Trilby

• Connecticut
    • Christina1960 @ WWF,Emmaline31970 @ We Rule
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 12:32:15 pm »
    I just placed an order for another Octo Sleeve. :)

~Christina~
    I love cozy mysteries!!

Offline cheerio

• View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: January 11, 2010, 05:55:16 pm »
    nice color

KBoards.com

• Advertisement