Author Topic: A Cover & Case Breakdown aka: The World According to Octochick  (Read 5430 times)  

Offline Cuechick

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
    • etsy shop
I would say there are covers out there to suit almost every personality... I have been reading a lot of threads asking "which one?" And with new Kindle owners every day, I thought I would try to create one cohesive breakdown. I have not tried all covers and cases but I have tried many and
have read reviews and reports on most of the others. Feel free to add your thoughts and info, if I have missed anything. 

Amazon Cover: This is a slim, no frills cover that many like because of the ease of use with the hinge system and relatively low cost.
Negs, no closure and a little on the blah side, looks wise and Amazon logo on front. (Some crafty people have done some
nice makeovers though.)

M-Edge: Sleek and a large variety of colors to choose from, as well as a few different styles and materials (leather and non leather) medium priced.
Neg, they are a bit bulky as right now they include a space for a light, which is not something everyone wants.

Cole Haan: Another slim fit choice, I had a soft style tan. Very soft, beautiful feel, was very nice to hold while reading.
Negs: High priced (99.00 and up), fit was a little funky on mine (though I understand that has been corrected) no closure, I have read the
more expensive "woven" styles are hard to fold back.

Bobarra: These are new to a lot of people on this board but I ordered one for my K1 way back when (Nov.08 :D), cool fabrics and interesting design, this I think would appeal to the stylish and hip. Good for travelers too. Should offer more than adequate protection for your K.
Negs: a little pricy for what they are, bulky. Mine did not fold back comfortably and reading my Kindle in it was tough. Also the magnetic closure did not stay closed. I returned it. They may have improved these flaws. Also, check return policy if you buy direct. I suggest buying through Amazon.

Update: a recent purchaser of this cover says they have addressed and fixed these early problems. I would still buy off Amazon if possible, though, the K2 versions may only be available directly through them.

Strangedog: I have never tried these but have only heard good things, funky, unusual designs. Not my taste, but for those who do like it
it is something different.
Negs: hard to get, these are made by one very nice but eccentric guy and availability is sporadic. I have heard of people who have kind of stalked his site waiting for a cover to be posted, they sell out with in minutes.

Oberon:: This is my cover of choice, beautiful hand tooled leather covers in a variety of unique designs and colors. These are like a pieces of art. The provide excellent protection and give your Kindle the feel of a real book. Folds back surprisingly easily and only becomes better with use.
Great, small company too, often willing to do custom orders if they can, so just ask.
Negs: Heavier than some may want. On the pricier side $75, but well worth the price in terms of quality. Very distinctive, the look may not be for everyone. Also not returnable (unless they make a mistake with your order) but you can probably sell your cover on the sell board here in less than a day.

Little Buttons: Oh, almost forgot these. These are hand crafted covers made by an Etsy seller and recently posted about here. She made the first one for her own Kindle and they are a nice, artsy alternative to conventional covers. Right now she only has 4 listed but I have seen her post more and you might look at her "sold" list for more options.
Negs: Look a bit stiff and hard to fold back, she posted she had not really considered that option in her design. Also do not lay flat at first and no closure. The nice thing with etsy is you could probably request she add one.

Cases: Different from a "Cover" a case, is something that holds the kindle either with or without a cover. May also be referred to as a "Bag" or "sleeve". Many good options for these and my feeling in this is good extra protection if your cover choice has no closure or is an expensive investment. The last thing I want to see is a big pen mark on my Oberon cover!

Borsa Bella: My favorite of course, no secret. A great little company run by one nice lady who has jumped through hoops to make Kindle covers for every need. Cool fabrics, very nice designs, does custom orders at no extra charge and will even make a case with your fabric. Great customer service.
Negs: May not be the style for everyone.

Waterfield: Nice sporty bags, these look like they are good protection for your K in or out of a cover.
Negs: a little pricey, not a lot of color options.

Belkin: Nice basic sleeve for Ks only. Also offers a case, available at Target, that can hold your K in a cover.
Negs: No color choices in sleeve, black only. A few more in the Target case either pink, black and maybe blue?

OCTO: A newish product (at least to me) this is a slick, nice looking sleeve, for those who want to read their Kindle with out a cover.
The reviews are very good and the basic model is reasonably priced. They have some very pretty colored crock versions at a much pricier 88.95.
Negs: Exposed top of Kindle, not much protection if you drop it. Huge price jump if you want one of the more colorful options.

There are some others out there, some really like the Vera Bradley bags or as mentioned a purse that has a pocket just for their Kindles.
These are just my opinions of course but hopefully that will give many new owners a good jumping off point.

:: Cross posted (on the accessory board and on purpose) at the suggestion of another board member ::
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 01:01:46 pm by Harvey »
Find Fab Vintage in my Etsy Shop: Fresh Pie!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline pomlover2586

• CA
      • View Profile
    Re: A Cover & Case Breakdown aka: The World According to Octochick
    « Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 09:30:38 pm »
    Love it! Love it! Love it! Thanks again!
    Elaina

Offline melissaj323

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 11:02:21 am »
    thanks for putting this together! it really helps to get a break down of all the cases/bags out their for our kindles. I think I am going to go ahead and get the amazon cover for my k2, while waiting for Oberon's ginkgo in red  :-\ It makes me nervous to have my K2 not protected....though currently its resting in my borsa bella sleeve.

Offline Lionspaw

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 07:22:41 am »
    This is very helpful.  I've been looking for a case that will hold the K in the Amazon case but didn't know where to look.  It's a little confusing in the beginning: cover-case-skin-sleeve, etc! 

One comment--I like the Amazon case w/o a closure.  Just my 2 cents.

Offline cheerio

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 10:56:33 am »
    Wonder if this could be a Sticky?
    "Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt

"A successful person is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks that others throw at him or her." David Brinkle

Offline L Brandt

• Yacolt WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 11:05:21 am »
    I think you should mention the M-edge GO cover, similiar to the Amazon cover, slim, no place for light and wonderful colors. I love mine and a great price at 34.95.
    LB
    A Promise made is a debt unpaid....

Offline skookum

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 10:13:27 pm »
       Very nice detailed case review!  I followed your links and agree with almost all your contentions.

I've really just discovered this case market. I found a leather shoulder bag at Goodwill for moisture protection. Suddenly these lovely Oberon (and others) cases. I was shopping for natural leather I couldn't afford when research changed everything.
       I went from seeker of beautifully distinctive leather to defender of the fragile Kindle. Short of carrying my Kindle in my reinforced aluminum & heavily padded pistol case. Read the user forums. One thread has full pictures of complete Kindle disassembly...<shudder>

Anyway, my leather fetish bubble burst in the face of carrying an electronic egg.
    This; $14.88, 
    Body Glove Protective E-Reader Case [Walmart] over the K1 factory cover may appear mundane but I'm on my 2nd Kindle in 6 months. Good for the Kindle refurb market but not so good for us.

not cheap Rapid Repair
    http://www.rapidrepair.com/guides/amazonkindleguide/amazon-kindle-Take-Apart-Guide.htm
    "Wishing, of all employments, is the worst"  :  Edward Young

Offline Meemo

• NW Florida
    • KB Member #43
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 12:05:25 pm »
    Just want to point out that the original post was from last April - there are several newcomers to the choices now, including the new Amazon covers, the Javoedge choices, the new choices from M-edge as well as from Octo and Boxwave.  Lots to choose from out there.  :)
    em
    Kindling since August 2008, 2nd & 1st gen Oasis, 2 Fire HD6s, iPad Mini for PDFs

Offline Hoosiermama

• Central Indiana
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 12:11:51 pm »
    I'd also request to add the Speck cover. I really love mine--it's great that it can stand up, or used book style. Feels great in the hand, not heavy, and the K2 is very secure in it.

I think I'm the only one here who has one, though ;D
    --Mary (Kindle Fire and Kindle Touch)

Offline hsuthard

• Honolulu, HI
      • View Profile
      • Suthard, Party of Five
    « Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 05:47:48 pm »
    The Anne Klein covers are great, too. I love the list here!
    -- Holly.

The more we live, the more beautiful we are.

Offline Meemo

• NW Florida
    • KB Member #43
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 06:49:20 pm »
    The Anne Klein covers are great, too. I love the list here!

Jeez how could I have forgotten to mention those?  My K2 is happily residing in her Alicia Klein Nancy Drew cover!   ::)
    em
    Kindling since August 2008, 2nd & 1st gen Oasis, 2 Fire HD6s, iPad Mini for PDFs

KBoards.com

• Advertisement