Author Topic: No sound when I plug in ear phones, on my k2, can I fix  (Read 904 times)  

Offline raynsally

• View Profile
All of a sudden 2 days ago when I plugged in the earphones 2 listen 2 an audio book there isn't any sound. Sometimes it will start and then quit. I have 2 pr at the house and both are the same. I went and bought another pr today. They are not working either. My clock hasn't worked for awhile, I like the clock but I can live without it. However my dh isn't interested in listening to my books and I have insomnia, listen a lot at night, don't want 2 keep dh awake. My warrenty is good until Jan 2012 but I like the size of the K2. I have RA twisted hands and I think the K3 would be hard to hold when just reading. Has anyone been able 2 get a k2 replacement since K3 came out. Maybe someone knows a fix. My dh tried running the hairdryer lightly across the hole. We live in Fl. humidity is bad and he thought it might have gotten moisture, as I read on a screen porch a lot. TIA

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Super Moderators-5
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    Re: No sound when I plug in ear phones, on my k2, can I fix
    « Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 01:08:22 pm »
    O.K.  couple of questions:

1:  what do you mean by "My clock hasn't worked for awhile"?  In my experience, the clock does reset if you restart the device with wireless off.  If you haven't done so, try turning wireless on and do a sync and check. . . .that should cause it to get the time from a time server.

2:  this may sound silly, or condescending, and please understand that I don't mean anything by it, but, have you checked to be sure you have the volume turned up?  It is possible that it got turned down and you didn't realize it.  (speaking from experience here. . . . .::) )

3:  Are you sure it's still under warranty?  The 2nd gen Kindle was last sold in July of 2010 so one-year warranties would be done by July of 2011 -- of course, you may have purchased an extended warranty, in which case you've got nothing to worry about.

Now, if you figure it really has failed, your best course of action is to contact Kindle Support.  I like to use the 'call me back' feature -- they really do call you almost right away.  Let 'em know what the problem is, and I'm sure they'll send a replacement straight away.  I believe they have som 2nd gen devices available for these types of replacements.  At worst, though I understand it wouldn't be your preference, they'll give you a steep discount on a K3.

If they can't replace it with a K2 and that's what you really want. . .you might try posting on our Buy/Sell/Trade board.  You might be able to find someone who's selling one.

Good luck!
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline raynsally

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 02:41:36 pm »
    The clock is running but, time is wrong. It's 5:30 PM, K2 shows 10:01 PM. Reset did not change. I don't mind you asking about volume, I have been known for silly mistakes. My DH checked that a couple of times. I did buy the extended warranty. The K2 I have now is already a replacement, I guess I knew before I posted I was going to have to call support, just hate losing the K2, I have handled the K3, not crazy about the size but since I do have the warranty, I will go that way. Hope I don't buy the K3 and they come with K4 1 month later. I don't handle change well. I still listen to a record player and 8 track player that works. Thanks for the ideas

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Super Moderators-5
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 05:51:26 pm »
    I expect that you'll get a K2 as a replacement if they have any left. And I believe they probably do.  Good luck!
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline SusanCassidy

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 09:07:15 am »
    On a K2, you have to connect to Whispernet for the clock to be set correctly.  Did you turn wireless on after the reset?

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 11:06:28 am »
    If a K2 replacement is not available, maybe you can keep the K2 for actual reading since it is easier on your RA hands, and get a new K3 to use only for audio?  I do hope it works out well for you.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement