Author Topic: Pound-A-Week Club  (Read 99228 times)  

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
  • Goodbye, Mr. Milquetoast
    • View Profile
    • Origami Turtle's photostream
Re: Pound-A-Week Club
« Reply #100 on: June 05, 2011, 11:22:45 am »
NapCat, I would only be a good example once a week when I stay at my mom's house. The rest of the week I try to eat properly but don't usually have the inclination to cook. My mom, on the other hand, has so many dietary restrictions (no gluten, citrus, tomatoes, chocolate, refined sugar, consistent vitamin K) that she must fix nearly everything herself. Since she prefers whole grains (of the ones she can have) most of the gluten free mixes and bread won't work for her. 

I love it when she uses me as a test subject to see how well a "normal" person will like her recipes. I keep telling her that she should write a book on how to eat healthy with significant food restrictions. A big part is being willing to experiment. The spaghetti squash, quinoa noodles, sauteed onions, and cheese dish is one of several of her gluten free and tomato free attempts to satisfy her spaghetti and pasta cravings.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline NapCat (retired)

• Lighthouse Ranch, Nevada
      • View Profile
    « Reply #101 on: June 05, 2011, 11:30:45 am »
    "...to satisfy her spaghetti and pasta cravings..."

I also use squash to get around the pasta craving....good tip, Thanks
    'da NapCat

Thousands of years ago, cats were worshiped as gods...They have never forgotten this !!

Offline NapCat (retired)

• View Profile
    « Reply #102 on: June 05, 2011, 11:36:04 am »
    Weigh-In Day !!

Dont panic !
      Weigh in is completely optional and painless:

I have chosen Sunday as my weigh in day and will report it on this thread;

ONLY one of two responses is allowed (NO NUMBERS !):

YES (meaning a pound, or more was lost in the past week) no gloating allowed !!
    NO  (meaning  a pound was not lost, maybe even gained one or two) no guilt allowed !!

NapCats weigh in for the week ending 6/5/11  YES

'da NapCat

Thousands of years ago, cats were worshiped as gods...They have never forgotten this !!

Offline Matt Maxwell

• Folsom, Ca
      • View Profile
      • Highway 62
    « Reply #103 on: June 05, 2011, 12:12:44 pm »
    If you eat out, skip the fries.

I know, I find it impossible, myself. But you throw out fries and soda (not just diet soda) and you're helping yourself a lot.

Also looking at getting a standing desk setup, though I'm not sure of weight impact, but it's reputed to be much better for your cardiovascular system (if not hell on your feets.)

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #104 on: June 05, 2011, 12:57:10 pm »
    I joined late so I weighed myself in order to be able to report next week. ;D

Offline spotsmom

• Sunriver, Oregon
      • View Profile
    « Reply #105 on: June 05, 2011, 02:05:49 pm »
    Thanks for lowering my guilt on the tiramisu, NapCat.  I did go to the store today and got a whole bunch of veggies for stir fry! 

I don't have a reliable scale, so I'm going on how the clothes fit and how I look in them.

Offline David M. Baum

• The Netherlands
    • Don't call me a peck!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #106 on: June 05, 2011, 04:45:09 pm »
    Congrats, NapCat.

David's weigh-in for this week, ending 6/5/11: YES
    Aspiring writer.
    Very good at aspiring, not so much at writing.

Offline NapCat (retired)

• View Profile
    « Reply #107 on: June 05, 2011, 05:48:15 pm »
    If you eat out, skip the fries.

I know, I find it impossible, myself. But you throw out fries and soda (not just diet soda) and you're helping yourself a lot.

Also looking at getting a standing desk setup, though I'm not sure of weight impact, but it's reputed to be much better for your cardiovascular system (if not hell on your feets.)

Come on Matt....
    We know you are in Folsom !!  You DO NOT eat out.....and they weigh  you !  Ha!
    Glad to see you here for  the fun !!

(For those of you who did not understand the above post, check out Matt's Introduction)

'da NapCat

Offline NapCat (retired)

• View Profile
    « Reply #108 on: June 05, 2011, 05:49:04 pm »
    Congrats, NapCat.

David's weigh-in for this week, ending 6/5/11: YES

And a huge Return-Congrats back !!
    'da NapCat

Offline *DrDLN* (dr.s.dhillon)

• Mtn House, CA
    • Self-help and Spiritual Living
      • View Profile
      • "HEALTH and LOVE is your birth-right" Series
    « Reply #109 on: June 05, 2011, 10:01:50 pm »
    This thread reminds me a humor:
    God didnt Want us Fat!

In the beginning, God created the Heavens and the Earth and Populated the Earth with broccoli, cauliflower and spinach, green and yellow and red vegetables of all kinds, so Man and Woman would live long and healthy lives.

Then using God's great gifts, Satan created Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream and Krispy Creame Donuts.  And Satan said, "You want chocolate with that?"And Man said, "Yes!" and Woman said, " as long as you're at it, add some sprinkles." And they gained 10 pounds. And Satan smiled.

And God created the healthful yogurt that Woman might keep the figure that Man found so fair.

And Satan brought forth white flour from the wheat, and sugar from the cane and combined them. And Woman went from size 6 to size 14.

So God said, "Try my fresh green salad."

And Satan presented Thousand-Island Dressing, buttery croutons and garlic toast on the side. And Man and Woman unfastened their belts following the repast.

God then said, "I have sent you heart healthy vegetables and olive Oil in which to cook them."

And Satan brought forth deep fried fish and chicken, and juicy steak so big it needed its own platter. And Man gained more weight and his cholesterol went through the roof.

God then created a light, fluffy white cake, named it "Angel Food Cake," and said, "It is good."

Satan then created chocolate cake and named it "Devil's Food."

God then brought forth running shoes so that His children might lose those extra pounds.

And Satan gave cable TV with a remote control so Man would not have to toil changing the channels. And Man and Woman laughed and cried before the flickering blue light and gained pounds.

Then God brought forth the potato, naturally low in fat and Brimming with nutrition.

And Satan peeled off the healthful skin and sliced the Starchy center into chips and deep-fried them. And Man gained pounds.

God then gave lean meat so that Man might consume fewer calories and still satisfy his appetite.

And Satan created McDonald's and its 99-cent double cheeseburger. Then said, "You want fries with that?" And Man replied," Yes!  And super size them!" And Satan said, "It is good." And Man went into cardiac arrest.

God sighed and created quadruple bypass surgery.

Then Satan created HMOs

If you don't share this and other information that keeps you healthy to five old friends right away there will be five fewer people laughing in the world.

Offline lpking

• The Wet Coast
      • View Profile
      • Azarimba
    « Reply #110 on: June 05, 2011, 10:16:03 pm »

Standing desk might be great for some folks. I think it depends on your feet. When I worked retail, I was young and spry, but my feet still killed me at the end of each day. I was relieved to eventually get a desk job. When midlife crisis struck, and I started jogging, my feet got progressively worse (particularly osteoarthritic degeneration in the first MTP joint of the left foot).  Eventually I pretty much quit jogging. My feet are much better now that I do other things to keep in some semblance of shape.

So I think it's a very individual thing. What will work for some folks will not work for others.
    I base my fashion taste on what doesn't itch. (Gilda Radner)
    www.azarimba.blogspot.com

Offline Teresa Morgan

• Spork!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #111 on: June 06, 2011, 04:05:39 am »
    Good luck everyone in the club!

My deadly sin is not making time to go to the gym.I know I need to do it. I want to be healthy and active... and then my computer calls my name, or I feel overwhelmed with all the things I have to get done.

But my father died of a heart attack. I don't want to go down that road. It's hard on you, and hard on those you love.

So off to the gym I go!

Teresa

Handcuffed to the Sheikh
    Best. Abduction. Ever.
    $.99
    Read a sample

Cinderella and the Sheikh
    Sometimes, Prince Charming isn't what he seems...
    $2.99
    Read a sample

Offline SongbirdVB

• Crystal, Minnesota
      • View Profile
      • Songbird's Nest
    « Reply #112 on: June 06, 2011, 05:33:05 am »
    Congrats NapCat! 

My WeighIn is going to be Fridays, so nothing to report today.

This weekend was mostly a success.  I stayed away from chocolate and sweets, that's a big thing for me!

Exercise is going to be an issue, I have tendonitis in my ankle and it's been giving me FITS since February.  My doctor says it's going to be hard for it to heal since I can't completely rest it.  So I do what I can and ice it when it looks like a softball.  I want to get back on track with exercise so I'll have to think of something!  Until then I'm hoping the revamp of my diet will help me lose.  Can't hurt, right?

I made salmon with capers and dill, and had enough leftovers for a lunch or two this week.  Then I made Chicken and Rice in my pressure cooker and have enough of that for a couple more dinners and lunches.  I ran both recipes through a recipe builder and both are under 300 calories per serving.  ;D 

Thanks for the Turkey Chili recipe!
    Those that cannot forgive others break the bridge over which they must pass themselves; for every person has need of being forgiven.

Offline MissStar

• View Profile
    « Reply #113 on: June 06, 2011, 05:52:17 am »
    My periodic reward for quitting smoking was peppermint ice cream cones.  Don't think that will work in this case. ;D

My aunt always told me this is how she quit smoking:  Every time she wanted a cigarette, she kissed a boy. (She was early 20's, I think.)  Although....that might be a little awkward at work, and I don't know if my hubby would like it....   :D
    Visit my GoodReads Profile
    Books read in 2011: 128
    Currently Reading: The Cat Who Talked to Ghosts by Lilian Jackson Braun
    Last book finished: The Cat Who Went Underground by Lilian Jackson Braun

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.  Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." ~ Groucho Marx

Offline MissStar

• View Profile
    « Reply #114 on: June 06, 2011, 05:54:36 am »
    One of the toughest things about dieting is the feeling you have to do everything at once, totally alter what you eat. If your diet is full of fatty, salty, over-processed foods, that's probably not a bad idea.  :-[ However, it's hard! Do any of you have strategies for changing diet gradually that have worked for you in the past?

One of the things I did was switch from regular chips to baked chips.  The Baked Lays, Doritos, Fritos and Tostitos are actually really good.  I can't eat regular chips any more...they seem to dense.

Another baby step was moving from white bread to wheat or whole-grain bread. That was a big one for me, but with so many different companies and varieties out there it was a pretty easy move.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.  Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." ~ Groucho Marx

Offline MissStar

• View Profile
    « Reply #115 on: June 06, 2011, 05:57:41 am »
    I stayed at my mom's house last night so that I could get up early to walk in the park with her. We did two trips around the park and lake for 5 K (3+ miles). I need to get back into shape for the Run with the Roosters (a 5 mile walk/run on 11 July that starts at 5 AM). With that, chores at my mom's house, working outside on tasks at my house, my pedometer now reads 13333. ;D

If I ate my mom's cooking all the time I would be happy and thin! Last night was spaghetti squash combined with quinoa spaghetti noodles, sauteed onions, and a little shredded cheese with vegetables (cauliflower, carrots, green beans) on the side and crustless sweet potato pie for dessert. Yummy! This morning was scrambled eggs, gluten-free waffles (from her own recipe which included brown rice flour and garbanzo bean flour), and half a fresh mango. She sent half a pie home so that DH and I could share it. It is probably one of the healthiest custards that I could eat as it is also her own recipe with no refined sugar. I need to get her recipe for sweet potato custard and she needs to make the waffles again so that she can figure out what she did to make them turn out so yummy. They can be eaten fresh without syrup or butter and only need a little after being frozen and warmed up in the toaster.

Annalog, CONGRATS on the steps!!  That's fabulous!!  Oh man, your mom's food sounds delicious.  I tried spaghetti squash once....it was horrible, but I'm sure that's more my fault.  I'm not really a cooking-type yet, but I'm working on it!

Offline MissStar

• View Profile
    « Reply #116 on: June 06, 2011, 05:59:38 am »
    NapCat, I would only be a good example once a week when I stay at my mom's house. The rest of the week I try to eat properly but don't usually have the inclination to cook. My mom, on the other hand, has so many dietary restrictions (no gluten, citrus, tomatoes, chocolate, refined sugar, consistent vitamin K) that she must fix nearly everything herself. Since she prefers whole grains (of the ones she can have) most of the gluten free mixes and bread won't work for her. 

I love it when she uses me as a test subject to see how well a "normal" person will like her recipes. I keep telling her that she should write a book on how to eat healthy with significant food restrictions. A big part is being willing to experiment. The spaghetti squash, quinoa noodles, sauteed onions, and cheese dish is one of several of her gluten free and tomato free attempts to satisfy her spaghetti and pasta cravings.

Anna, if you and your mom are willing, I'd love to see some of those recipes!   ;D  Otherwise....get the book done and publish in Kindle!  I know I'd buy it....    ;D

Offline MissStar

• View Profile
    « Reply #117 on: June 06, 2011, 06:01:00 am »
    Weigh-In Day !!

Dont panic !
      Weigh in is completely optional and painless:

I have chosen Sunday as my weigh in day and will report it on this thread;

ONLY one of two responses is allowed (NO NUMBERS !):

YES (meaning a pound, or more was lost in the past week) no gloating allowed !!
    NO  (meaning  a pound was not lost, maybe even gained one or two) no guilt allowed !!

NapCats weigh in for the week ending 6/5/11  YES

Week ending 6/5/11: Yes

Offline MissStar

• View Profile
    « Reply #118 on: June 06, 2011, 06:05:27 am »
    NapCat, David, congrats!!!

DrDln, very funny.  Thank you!   :D

Songbird, chicken and rice was AWESOME.  So glad it's under 300!   :D

Offline David M. Baum

• The Netherlands
    • Don't call me a peck!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #119 on: June 06, 2011, 06:55:47 am »
    NapCat, David, congrats!!!

DrDln, very funny.  Thank you!   :D
    Congrats to you as well, MissStar.

And I echo the comment about your funny post, DrDln
    Aspiring writer.

Offline MissStar

• View Profile
    « Reply #120 on: June 06, 2011, 07:08:52 am »
    Congrats to you as well, MissStar.

And I echo the comment about your funny post, DrDln

Thanks, David!  Go PaW!  (LOL, I love that acronym!)

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #121 on: June 06, 2011, 10:22:24 am »
    Annalog, CONGRATS on the steps!!  That's fabulous!!  Oh man, your mom's food sounds delicious.  I tried spaghetti squash once....it was horrible, but I'm sure that's more my fault.  I'm not really a cooking-type yet, but I'm working on it!
    I did not like spaghetti squash the one time I cooked it. I am going to try again this week using my mom's recipe (I had her tell me over the phone while I was driving to work this morning):

1 spaghetti squash
    2 onions (she used yellow ones)
    small amount (1 serving?) Ancient Harvest Quinoa Gluten Free Linguine noodles (better than the spaghetti noodles ;))
    olive oil
    butter or margarine, to taste (1 tsp. or so just for flavor)
    grated cheese (Asiago or Tillamook sharp cheddar if at my mom's house), to taste (about 1-2 TB per person to keep calories down but provide flavor) (ETA: Blue cheese crumbles work well. Shredded Swiss is too bland.)
    salt and pepper, to taste

Wash outside of spaghetti squash. Mom says she almost follows the directions on the sticker found on the squash. She cuts the squash in half and removes the seeds and seed pulp. (This is the most difficult part of the recipe, cutting the squash!) She then cuts the two halves in half so that they will fit in the baking dish. Using olive oil, oil baking dish that can hold the squash and that has a cover. Oil the cut and scraped sides of the squash, put in baking dish skin side down and cut sides up. Cover and bake at 375 F for 30 to 40 minutes or until done. (Oiling the squash and cooking in a covered dish keeps the cut parts of the squash from getting tough and dry.) Mom likes this to finish before the other items so that the squash can cool enough to handle easily.

Peel onions and slice fairly thinly. In large skillet or electric frying pan, heat some olive oil and add the sliced onions. Turn down temperature and saute slowly until sweet and tender (~20 minutes).

Cook single serving of Linguine noodles according to package instructions. (Mom cooks for 10 minutes instead of 9.) Stir at beginning so that noodles are not stuck to each other.

Back to the spaghetti squash. Because the baking dish was oiled and the squash was in the dish skin side down, cleanup is easy. Using a fork, scrape the cooked squash into into a dish so that it separates into "noodles". (Mom just wipes the baking dish with a paper towel to remove the condensed liquid and extra oil and puts the squash back into it.) Add the spaghetti squash to the sauteed onions in the electric frying pan. Stir to mix onions and squash. Add a little butter or margarine. When the linguine noodles are done, drain noodles and add the noodles to the onions and squash. Stir and heat until hot.

Serve. Add some shredded cheese and cover with a bit more hot squash/noodle/onion mixture so that cheese will melt. Add salt and pepper to taste. Makes 4 or 5 servings as a side dish or 2 or 3 servings as a main dish depending on size of squash, onions, etc.

The sliced onions and the quinoa linguine mixed in to the spaghetti squash greatly improve the texture of the squash so that it feels more like spaghetti.

ETA: Ancient Harvest Quinoa Gluten Free Linguine noodles can be found in health food stores, Sunflower, Sprouts, Whole Foods, etc. Their boxes are a pale green or aqua color. I have not checked Safeway yet, but since they are highlighting gluten free foods, they may carry it as well.
    « Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 09:44:09 pm by Annalog »

Offline David M. Baum

• The Netherlands
    • Don't call me a peck!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #122 on: June 06, 2011, 11:04:37 am »
    How has this turned from a diet support thread to a thread of recipes that make my mouth water and my stomach growl?  ;D
    Aspiring writer.

Offline NapCat (retired)

• View Profile
    « Reply #123 on: June 06, 2011, 11:53:51 am »
    Week ending 6/5/11: Yes

Well done Miss Star !!
    'da NapCat

Offline NapCat (retired)

• View Profile
    « Reply #124 on: June 06, 2011, 11:55:42 am »
    How has this turned from a diet support thread to a thread of recipes that make my mouth water and my stomach growl?  ;D

Sharing tasty, healthy recipes will be an important tool in the PAW Club !!  Thanks and Keep 'em coming !
    'da NapCat

KBoards.com

• Advertisement