Author Topic: Pound-A-Week Club  (Read 99261 times)  

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
  • Goodbye, Mr. Milquetoast
    • View Profile
    • Origami Turtle's photostream
Re: Pound-A-Week Club
« Reply #125 on: June 06, 2011, 12:07:13 pm »
How has this turned from a diet support thread to a thread of recipes that make my mouth water and my stomach growl?  ;D
Maybe because tasty, healthy, naturally low calorie, high fiber foods are a good way to lose weight without feeling deprived? ;D (At least that works for me if I take the time and make the effort to do it. The hardest part of eating properly for me is taking the time to fix the good foods I love.)

Also, I added an amount to the cheese as that is the most hazardous part of the recipe. ;D

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #126 on: June 06, 2011, 12:09:45 pm »
    Sharing tasty, healthy recipes will be an important tool in the PAW Club !!  Thanks and Keep 'em coming !
    Thanks! I will add an update after I cook it and DH eats it to verify that it was not just my opinion of my Mom's cooking. ;D

Offline MissStar

• View Profile
    « Reply #127 on: June 06, 2011, 12:15:08 pm »
    Anna, thank you so much for the recipe!  I really appreciate it!   :D

LOL David

Thank you, NapCat!

Have any of you heard of VitaTops?  They are muffin tops that are low calorie, and found in the refridgerated/frozen section of the grocery store.  I hear they are very good, and that they satisfy the chocolate cravings. (They come in a number of varieties.)
    Visit my GoodReads Profile
    Books read in 2011: 128
    Currently Reading: The Cat Who Talked to Ghosts by Lilian Jackson Braun
    Last book finished: The Cat Who Went Underground by Lilian Jackson Braun

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.  Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." ~ Groucho Marx

Offline ellesu

• View Profile
    « Reply #128 on: June 06, 2011, 12:18:04 pm »
    Love recipes! Congrats to everyone for achieving the PAW goal and to everyone who's at least trying.  I'm in the group with no scales - I think it's against the law in a beach rental condo!!?? I'll also have to gauge by how my clothes are fitting.  So far, so good.  I'm making good choices - mostly, and I'm walking a lot..a LOT! There are a couple of farmers' markets nearby so I'm good.  

Offline spotsmom

• Sunriver, Oregon
      • View Profile
    « Reply #129 on: June 06, 2011, 12:30:33 pm »
    I used to live at the beach and walked all the time.  I lost 12 pounds in a year.  I know that's not a pound a week, but at least I was in good shape!

Offline MissStar

• View Profile
    « Reply #130 on: June 06, 2011, 12:41:26 pm »
    Love recipes! Congrats to everyone for achieving the PAW goal and to everyone who's at least trying.  I'm in the group with no scales - I think it's against the law in a beach rental condo!!?? I'll also have to gauge by how my clothes are fitting.  So far, so good.  I'm making good choices - mostly, and I'm walking a lot..a LOT! There are a couple of farmers' markets nearby so I'm good.  

Oh, I'd LOVE to live at the beach...  Actually, I don't know many who wouldn't love it.  Walking in sand is such a good workout, and can be so very pretty.  :)

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.  Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." ~ Groucho Marx

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #131 on: June 06, 2011, 01:04:05 pm »
    The posts about walking at the beach reminded me that I would always lose about 2 pounds a week back when I went on business trips to Sweden. The office there had convenient stairs and inconvenient elevators and people I worked with were on four different floors and in two different buildings. The place I stayed usually had me on the fourth floor. I walked to restaurants in the evenings. I walked and used stairs a lot! I ate 5 times a day and was never hungry (breakfast [muesli, yogurt, slice of ham, slice of cheese, sliced cucumbers, bread, egg cooked in shell), morning snack (bread and cheese), lunch at one of the local cafeterias, afternoon snack (fruit), dinner at a local restaurant [usually asian restaurant so that I could get my vegetable fix in the winter in Sweden ;D]).

There is a lot to be said for eating frequently with breakfast being the biggest meal of the day and exercising frequently. ;D ;D ;D

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #132 on: June 06, 2011, 03:26:48 pm »

There is no known defense in the Universe against Tiramisu, so it was not your fault.....

Tiramisu always looks so yummy! Fortunately I don't like coffee at all which protects me from that temptation. ;D Or at least it did until I saw this post today.  ::)

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #133 on: June 06, 2011, 09:42:23 pm »
    I will add an update after I cook it and DH eats it to verify that it was not just my opinion of my Mom's cooking. ;D
    I made this tonight but with a small spaghetti squash, one large onion, and one serving of the noodles. I thought it needed more onion and DH thought it had too much onion. We tried it with shredded Swiss (OK but a bit flat) and I had seconds with Blue cheese crumbles (MUCH better and yummy). There was just enough left over for me to take to work for lunch.

Verdict: We both liked it and I will make it again. The cheese choice is important and should be one with a good strong flavor. DH is going with cheddar next time and I will be happy with either cheddar or blue cheese. Adding some different spices would also be good for a change. Garlic might also be good. ;D

Note: The strings inside the spaghetti squash go around the narrow way, not the long way. If you want the spaghetti squash strands not to be short then just cut the squash in half, not in quarters. ;)
    « Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 09:53:01 pm by Annalog »

Offline mom133d (aka Liz)

• Charlottesville, VA
    • Tea & Cake or death?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #134 on: June 07, 2011, 05:31:43 am »
    I'll do an official checkin next week. This morning I finally weighed myself to see if the doctor's scale was close. I hate how they don't give you time to empty your pockets or remove shoes. I'm using this as my start point.
    "There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates' loot on Treasure island and at the bottom of the Spanish Main...and best of all, you can enjoy these riches every day of your life." - Walt Disney

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline MissStar

• View Profile
    « Reply #135 on: June 07, 2011, 07:17:13 am »
    The cheese choice is important and should be one with a good strong flavor. DH is going with cheddar next time and I will be happy with either cheddar or blue cheese. Adding some different spices would also be good for a change. Garlic might also be good. ;D

Mmmm...cheddar cheese.... LOL  I will have to try this, and I will DEFINITELY be adding garlic. I love garlic.  I would make a horrible vampire.   ;D Maybe some scallions...

Offline MissStar

• View Profile
    « Reply #136 on: June 07, 2011, 07:25:28 am »
    I hate how they don't give you time to empty your pockets or remove shoes.

I hate that, too.  I've taken to wearing flip flops to the doctor so I can chuck them off real quick.

Offline Angela Carlie

• Washington State
      • View Profile
      • Angela Carlie
    « Reply #137 on: June 07, 2011, 08:03:21 am »
    Hi all!

I just found this thread when I should really be at the gym! Thanks for the encouragement. Signing off now...need to lose 20 pounds and sitting here isn't helping. lol

Have a great day and stay strong. :)

Offline NapCat (retired)

• Lighthouse Ranch, Nevada
      • View Profile
    « Reply #138 on: June 07, 2011, 12:01:28 pm »
    Hi all!

I just found this thread when I should really be at the gym! Thanks for the encouragement. Signing off now...need to lose 20 pounds and sitting here isn't helping. lol

Have a great day and stay strong. :)

Welcome to the group !!  20 pounds just looks too scary (I'm looking at 50 ! gasp) ....but to lose just one pound seems so doable. Good Luck!
    'da NapCat

Thousands of years ago, cats were worshiped as gods...They have never forgotten this !!

Offline Angela Carlie

• Washington State
      • View Profile
      • Angela Carlie
    « Reply #139 on: June 07, 2011, 03:47:42 pm »
    Welcome to the group !!  20 pounds just looks too scary (I'm looking at 50 ! gasp) ....but to lose just one pound seems so doable. Good Luck!

Agreed. One pound a week does sound less daunting. Thanks for the warm welcome. :)

Offline Ursula_Bauer

• View Profile
      • www.UrsulaBauer.com
    « Reply #140 on: June 07, 2011, 04:45:49 pm »
    Hi, what a great idea to help stay on track and motivated. I would love to join. Been working for a few months on losing 10% bodyweight, so far have dropped about 15 lbs so I have a ways to go to hit my first 10%, but once I started weights I didn't move so much. Doing measurements and seeing some shrinkage, enough to buy new summer clothes, so sitting at one weight for a few weeks has become okay if I'm getting smaller over all. :)

I think the first big thing that helped was substitutions of food - more higher fiber, less processed, more cooking at home (love the recipes here). Then, adding in movement.

It's amazing, how many different ways we respond to things and I think one of the most significant challenges is figuring out what is going to work for long term lifestyle. What will be sustainable, and what does your body respond to best? It's really hard to sus it out, let alone get it to the point where it's something you're doing as regular. I really got a lot of milage out of whole grains, even though we don't do much pasta. I think it was because things like the brown basmati rice and similar grains have slow digestion properties, and high vitamin and mineral content.

The other challenge that hit me, eating too few calories or too many. Finding the right range for me was a nightmare, and then figuring out how to stick to it, took a few months.

A good across the board resource for positive health change is My Life Check through American Heart Association.
    http://mylifecheck.heart.org/

Lots of resources here to stay motivated and help negotiate the right changes for you.

Offline NapCat (retired)

• View Profile
    « Reply #141 on: June 07, 2011, 07:26:11 pm »
    Hi, what a great idea to help stay on track and motivated. I would love to join.

Lots of resources here to stay motivated and help negotiate the right changes for you.

Glad you are here Ursula !!  We "Kindleboarders" seem to be an addictive lot......the hope is that we will obsess on losing JUST THAT ONE POUND each week and in the process change some basic health habits.
    'da NapCat

Thousands of years ago, cats were worshiped as gods...They have never forgotten this !!

Offline Ursula_Bauer

• View Profile
      • www.UrsulaBauer.com
    « Reply #142 on: June 08, 2011, 04:08:26 pm »
    Glad you are here Ursula !!  We "Kindleboarders" seem to be an addictive lot......the hope is that we will obsess on losing JUST THAT ONE POUND each week and in the process change some basic health habits.

LOL!!! Thanks!

Offline lpking

• The Wet Coast
      • View Profile
      • Azarimba
    « Reply #143 on: June 08, 2011, 04:15:44 pm »
    <snip> but once I started weights I didn't move so much. Doing measurements and seeing some shrinkage, enough to buy new summer clothes, so sitting at one weight for a few weeks has become okay if I'm getting smaller over all.

Exactly. I think you should have some measurements to compare, too, for those weeks when you don't manage to drop any weight because increased activity has resulted in increased muscle mass.
    I base my fashion taste on what doesn't itch. (Gilda Radner)
    www.azarimba.blogspot.com

Offline spotsmom

• Sunriver, Oregon
      • View Profile
    « Reply #144 on: June 08, 2011, 09:53:45 pm »
    Made tater tots to go with the burgers tonight, and only ate THREE.  Cantaloupe for dessert (ever put Cool whip on cantaloupe).

DH said "you look like you've lost weight".  Bless the man.

Offline Susan in VA

• Northern Virginia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #145 on: June 08, 2011, 09:55:18 pm »
    Made tater tots to go with the burgers tonight, and only ate THREE. 

Three burgers?  ;D
    Vivete con gioia e semplicit
    State buoni se potete
    Tutto il resto vanit.

Offline MissStar

• View Profile
    « Reply #146 on: June 09, 2011, 08:30:07 am »
    Made tater tots to go with the burgers tonight, and only ate THREE. 

Oh, good for you!!  Tater Tots are like my crack, my chocolate.  I love potatoes...raw, fried, baked, whatever.  Great job resisting that temptation!  :D

Offline spotsmom

• Sunriver, Oregon
      • View Profile
    « Reply #147 on: June 09, 2011, 09:59:49 am »
    I never met a potato I didn't like, but I did resist them last night.

One of my goals was to only drink coffee with French Vanilla creamer every other day and drink tea the rest of the time.  Am finding that doesn't work.

I guess we get to keep one addiction, don't we?

Offline MissStar

• View Profile
    « Reply #148 on: June 09, 2011, 10:09:00 am »
    I never met a potato I didn't like, but I did resist them last night.

One of my goals was to only drink coffee with French Vanilla creamer every other day and drink tea the rest of the time.  Am finding that doesn't work.

I guess we get to keep one addiction, don't we?

Yes we do.  Maybe changing to every other day was too lofty a goal. Do you have more than one a day?  Maybe you could lessen the quantity by one, or start with tea one day a week?  Or...keep your coffee with creamer and just be sure to drink more water!   ;D

Offline NapCat (retired)

• View Profile
    « Reply #149 on: June 09, 2011, 10:39:06 am »
    DH said "you look like you've lost weight".  Bless the man.

He's a keeper !!
    'da NapCat

KBoards.com

• Advertisement