Author Topic: Pound-A-Week Club  (Read 99230 times)  

Offline *DrDLN* (dr.s.dhillon)

• Mtn House, CA
  • Self-help and Spiritual Living
    • View Profile
    • "HEALTH and LOVE is your birth-right" Series
Re: Pound-A-Week Club
« Reply #150 on: June 09, 2011, 11:51:36 am »
I never met a potato I didn't like, but I did resist them last night.
Potato is a good friend. When someone kills it to make fries, stay away from them.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline David M. Baum

• The Netherlands
    • Don't call me a peck!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #151 on: June 09, 2011, 12:18:28 pm »
    I'm having a bad day.

Some not so stellar news and an argument, and I run to the cookie jar for comfort.  :(

That's such a hard habit to break. I'm now trying to chew a piece of chewing gum to oblivion, but that's a lousy substitute.
    Aspiring writer.
    Very good at aspiring, not so much at writing.

Offline spotsmom

• Sunriver, Oregon
      • View Profile
    « Reply #152 on: June 09, 2011, 12:27:30 pm »
    Baked potato may be a good friend, but not when you slather it with butter...  :D

He may be a keeper, NapCat, but on the same day he told me I'd lost weight he told his boss that boss had gained weight!  Good thing the boss is a man...  Anyway, I had to instruct DH that one never says anyone has gained weight...

Offline ellesu

• View Profile
    « Reply #153 on: June 09, 2011, 12:30:56 pm »
    I never met a potato I didn't like, but I did resist them last night.

One of my goals was to only drink coffee with French Vanilla creamer every other day and drink tea the rest of the time.  Am finding that doesn't work.

I guess we get to keep one addiction, don't we?

I can't give up my coffee either, but I can enjoy it without sugar - if it's good coffee.  In fact, I can't drink coffee that's too sweet in the mornings.  So coffee and I can work together, but....then there's wine! (Always something!) :) Do I have to give up my daily glass (most days 1/2 glass)? I need to think on that....  

Offline mom133d (aka Liz)

• Charlottesville, VA
    • Tea & Cake or death?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #154 on: June 09, 2011, 01:14:50 pm »
    I can't give up my coffee either, but I can enjoy it without sugar - if it's good coffee.  In fact, I can't drink coffee that's too sweet in the mornings.  So coffee and I can work together, but....then there's wine! (Always something!) :) Do I have to give up my daily glass (most days 1/2 glass)? I need to think on that....   
    Wine is good for your heart, right?
    "There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates' loot on Treasure island and at the bottom of the Spanish Main...and best of all, you can enjoy these riches every day of your life." - Walt Disney

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline spotsmom

• Sunriver, Oregon
      • View Profile
    « Reply #155 on: June 09, 2011, 01:17:41 pm »
    Wine is totally good for your heart.  Well, I guess it's how much wine you have  ;D It's like taking meds.  You take your meds, don't you (assuming you have some)?

Offline ellesu

• View Profile
    « Reply #156 on: June 09, 2011, 04:38:24 pm »
     :) I agree with you both - it's good, it's healthy (in moderation, of course), so it's a keeper. 

Offline NapCat (retired)

• Lighthouse Ranch, Nevada
      • View Profile
    « Reply #157 on: June 09, 2011, 08:12:18 pm »
    I'm having a bad day.

Some not so stellar news and an argument, and I run to the cookie jar for comfort.  :(

That's such a hard habit to break. I'm now trying to chew a piece of chewing gum to oblivion, but that's a lousy substitute.

Hope the bad day comes to a happy end...soon.

Don't add stress by worrying about the cookie jar.......fresh start in the morning. (hug).
    'da NapCat

Thousands of years ago, cats were worshiped as gods...They have never forgotten this !!

Offline NapCat (retired)

• View Profile
    « Reply #158 on: June 09, 2011, 08:17:50 pm »
    Potato is a good friend. When someone kills it to make fries, stay away from them.

Thanks Doc....good advice.
    Kathleen DesMaisons has written several books strongly advocating the benefits of eating potatoes

http://www.amazon.com/Kathleen-DesMaisons/e/B000APGSNI/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1
    'da NapCat

Thousands of years ago, cats were worshiped as gods...They have never forgotten this !!

Offline NapCat (retired)

• View Profile
    « Reply #159 on: June 09, 2011, 08:25:08 pm »
    I leaped over a huge hurdle this week in a very successful grocery shopping trip.  I made a list of the healthy ingredients I needed for the meals I have planned for the upcoming week...AND STUCK TO IT !  I never realized that the only route to the produce department was THROUGH THE BAKERY....gasp (HO-HOs to the left of me; Eclairs to the right of me....).

Still working on my very hard baby step of eating on a schedule...really hard for me....sigh

Next challenge is entertaining this weekend.....

Thank You everyone for being here for me !!  It helps so much !!  
    « Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 08:59:15 pm by NapCat »
    'da NapCat

Offline spotsmom

• Sunriver, Oregon
      • View Profile
    « Reply #160 on: June 09, 2011, 09:31:30 pm »
    So, what are you planning to feed your guests?

Offline lpking

• The Wet Coast
      • View Profile
      • Azarimba
    « Reply #161 on: June 09, 2011, 10:37:44 pm »
    Kathleen DesMaisons has written several books strongly advocating the benefits of eating potatoes[/color]

Some diet gurus and healthy eating advocates say to avoid potatoes like the plague. They class them as bad white foods, along with refined flour, sugar, and white rice.

I think those so-called experts are nuts. A nice baked potato with just a little olive oil drizzled over it is my idea of comfort food. Must be the Irish in me!
    I base my fashion taste on what doesn't itch. (Gilda Radner)
    www.azarimba.blogspot.com

Offline NapCat (retired)

• View Profile
    « Reply #162 on: June 09, 2011, 10:40:57 pm »
    So, what are you planning to feed your guests?

I have a wonderful meal planned, but all they care about is the CHEESECAKE....came all the way from Cincinnati for it !!
    'da NapCat

Offline NapCat (retired)

• View Profile
    « Reply #163 on: June 09, 2011, 10:46:17 pm »
    Some diet gurus and healthy eating advocates say to avoid potatoes like the plague. They class them as bad white foods, along with refined flour, sugar, and white rice.

I think those so-called experts are nuts. A nice baked potato with just a little olive oil drizzled over it is my idea of comfort food. Must be the Irish in me!

The potato is indeed controversial, so we each must do our own research and make our own decision on this one......I am leaning towards an occasional potato (with skin) and light topping,
    'da NapCat

Offline ellesu

• View Profile
    « Reply #164 on: June 10, 2011, 06:03:01 am »
    Congrats on the shopping trip NapCat! If I grocery shop without a list - I'm sunk.  I agree about each person learning what works for them.  One thing that works for me, yet not for my husband, is that I can buy one candy bar, cut it into four pieces, pop it into the freezer and eat a piece a day.  If my husband buys a candy bar, he's gonna eat it all then and there.   :)  But then he'll go all day until supper without eating - if I did that I'd either pass out mid-day or have so little energy by afternoon I wouldn't be able to life a fork.

One of the most difficult changes I'm facing is not snacking after supper.  I know it's habit - but a difficult one to break.  I'm not even hungry most of the time.  Odd how eating can be so complicated and can be related to much more than just physical hunger.     

Offline MissStar

• View Profile
    « Reply #165 on: June 10, 2011, 06:56:06 am »
    I'm having a bad day.

I'm sorry you're having a bad day.   :'(  Instead of eathing, I read a book or go listen to music (and sing along)...especially loud, angry music.  Just remember, if you do hit the cookie jar, it's just a setback.  Start again when you're done.  As my old WW leader used to say, we didn't get this way from eating badly one day, we got this way from eating badly every day.
    Visit my GoodReads Profile
    Books read in 2011: 128
    Currently Reading: The Cat Who Talked to Ghosts by Lilian Jackson Braun
    Last book finished: The Cat Who Went Underground by Lilian Jackson Braun

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.  Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." ~ Groucho Marx

Offline MissStar

• View Profile
    « Reply #166 on: June 10, 2011, 06:57:17 am »
    Baked potato may be a good friend, but not when you slather it with butter...  :D

LOL Lucky for me, I don't really like butter.  I just use a few spritzes of I can't Believe it's not Butter, then add some spices (like garlic)

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.  Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." ~ Groucho Marx

Offline MissStar

• View Profile
    « Reply #167 on: June 10, 2011, 06:59:42 am »
    I leaped over a huge hurdle this week in a very successful grocery shopping trip.  I made a list of the healthy ingredients I needed for the meals I have planned for the upcoming week...AND STUCK TO IT !  I never realized that the only route to the produce department was THROUGH THE BAKERY....gasp (HO-HOs to the left of me; Eclairs to the right of me....).

Still working on my very hard baby step of eating on a schedule...really hard for me....sigh

Next challenge is entertaining this weekend.....

Thank You everyone for being here for me !!  It helps so much !!  

Oh, good for you!!!  Good luck this weekend...I have faith in you!  What I used to do (and am going to try to do again) is have a picture of me at my biggest and another picture of a thinner me laminated in my wallet, right next to my money/credit cards. That way, anytime I pay for any kind of food, I see those pictures and think "which do I want to be?".  That usually inspires me to make better decisions.

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
    • Goodbye, Mr. Milquetoast
      • View Profile
      • Origami Turtle's photostream
    « Reply #168 on: June 10, 2011, 07:21:33 am »
    My mom sometimes puts cooked peas on baked potatoes instead of butter. I tried it and it is surprisingly good, especially as I am not a big fan of peas!

NapCat, the idea of having cheesecake when others are coming over is similar to how I treat butterscotch brownies; I only bake them for holidays when others will eat most of them and I can then have 1 or 2 instead of splitting a pan with DH. ;D

Offline NapCat (retired)

• View Profile
    « Reply #169 on: June 10, 2011, 11:00:17 am »
    My mom sometimes puts cooked peas on baked potatoes instead of butter. I tried it and it is surprisingly good, especially as I am not a big fan of peas!

NapCat, the idea of having cheesecake when others are coming over is similar to how I treat butterscotch brownies; I only bake them for holidays when others will eat most of them and I can then have 1 or 2 instead of splitting a pan with DH. ;D

Peas!?  sounds wonderful...I really like peas

I will have a slice of cheesecake with my guests.....the trick is to send the rest of the cake home with them....
    'da NapCat

Offline NapCat (retired)

• View Profile
    « Reply #170 on: June 10, 2011, 11:04:32 am »
    "...we didn't get this way from eating badly one day, we got this way from eating badly every day..."

Excellent !!  That could be the PAW Slogan of the Week
    'da NapCat

Offline MissStar

• View Profile
    « Reply #171 on: June 10, 2011, 01:22:05 pm »
    the trick is to send the rest of the cake home with them....

Well, if they like it as much as you say, I don't think that will be a problem.  ;)

Offline Susan in VA

• Northern Virginia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #172 on: June 10, 2011, 08:39:44 pm »

Is there some other thread where you're going to share this cheesecake recipe with us?  ;D
    Vivete con gioia e semplicit
    State buoni se potete
    Tutto il resto vanit.

Offline NapCat (retired)

• View Profile
    « Reply #173 on: June 10, 2011, 09:09:57 pm »
    Is there some other thread where you're going to share this cheesecake recipe with us?  ;D

NEVER !  NapCat's cheesecake recipe is the REAL secret of Area 51 !
    'da NapCat

Offline Susan in VA

• Northern Virginia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #174 on: June 10, 2011, 09:14:02 pm »

<sigh>
    Just as well, I suppose.  For the purposes of this thread and all, I mean.

But if I'm ever driving through Nevada, and you happen to have leftovers....  ;D
    Vivete con gioia e semplicit
    State buoni se potete
    Tutto il resto vanit.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement