Author Topic: Pound-A-Week Club  (Read 99234 times)  

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
  • Goodbye, Mr. Milquetoast
    • View Profile
    • Origami Turtle's photostream
Re: Pound-A-Week Club
« Reply #175 on: June 10, 2011, 11:07:20 pm »
Tonight my mom reminded me that she only buys the frozen petite sweet peas and that is why they taste good. The only peas that are better are ones straight from the gaden.

That is also part of the reason all of her cooking tastes so good ... she fixes good quality foods that are as fresh as possible.

Tonight for the after dinner dessert we had peppermint tea with her homemade gluten free ginger cookies made from the recipe found at Bob's Red Mill web site. Mom substituted slightly less agave syrup for the honey, 1/2 cup garbanzo bean flour for part of the white rice flour, brown rice flour for the rest of the flour, and at least doubled the ginger.

Eat dessert but make it a healthier dessert and watch the portion size.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline ellesu

• View Profile
    « Reply #176 on: June 11, 2011, 06:13:15 am »
    Ummm...don't know why, but I suddenly have a craving for cheesecake.  ....not blaming anyone here, of course!   ;D

Eat dessert but make it a healthier dessert and watch the portion size.

Agreed!  :)  For me, I know there are some things I'm just not going to do without and thankfully none of them are unhealthy in proper amounts.
    I'm enjoying the farmers markets - I've actually found tomatoes that have some taste, and twice a week we're having squash stir fried with whatever veggies I have on hand - maybe even a bit of meat/chicken thrown in.  I can do without meat but hubby thinks a meal is not a meal without meat.  Those good tomatoes are saving our weekends - we're actually choosing tomato sandwiches instead of treating ourselves to big meals out.  If only Dairy Queen wasn't the first place we pass on our walks.   ::)  But..they have fat free and low fat goodies.

Offline spotsmom

• Sunriver, Oregon
      • View Profile
    « Reply #177 on: June 11, 2011, 03:50:10 pm »
    I am turning into a bit of a Caesar salad freak.  3 days for lunch this week.  Trying to find a dessert last night that I could eat, I bought some strawberries and will have them (sans shortcake) with some Cool Whip tonight.  Unfortunately, I seem to be thinking of food A LOT.

Offline David M. Baum

• The Netherlands
    • Don't call me a peck!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #178 on: June 12, 2011, 12:16:09 am »
    David's weigh-in for this week, ending 6/12/11: NO :( :(
    Aspiring writer.
    Very good at aspiring, not so much at writing.

Offline SongbirdVB

• Crystal, Minnesota
      • View Profile
      • Songbird's Nest
    « Reply #179 on: June 12, 2011, 10:16:24 am »
    Hey PAWpals! I neglected to check in on Friday. Week one = YES!!

I got home the other day to find that my DH had gone to Costco, and he was eager to tell me he got me a present! I saw a huge box of king size Reese's Peanut Butter cups and said "Please... not those!" I have no defenses against certain things and those are at the top of the list. I said he knew I was trying to lose weight and that wasn't helping. He said "Nope, those are for me... I didn't get you anything." He then grabbed that box AND the big canisters of peanuts he had also gotten for me and hide them. No place to hide the whipped cream cans though. I haven't touched them!
    Those that cannot forgive others break the bridge over which they must pass themselves; for every person has need of being forgiven.

Offline spotsmom

• Sunriver, Oregon
      • View Profile
    « Reply #180 on: June 12, 2011, 10:37:36 am »
    I absolutely told my DH not to sabotage me by bringing home anything that in the slightest way would tempt me.  There are lots of desserts that he loves that I don't, so that's what he's bringing home.

If he brought home chocolate ice cream or potato chips I would eat them.  Absolutely no question.

Offline NapCat (retired)

• Lighthouse Ranch, Nevada
      • View Profile
    « Reply #181 on: June 12, 2011, 10:47:24 am »
    NapCat's weigh in for the week ending 6/12/2011  YES
    'da NapCat

Thousands of years ago, cats were worshiped as gods...They have never forgotten this !!

Offline NapCat (retired)

• View Profile
    « Reply #182 on: June 12, 2011, 10:49:11 am »
    David's weigh-in for this week, ending 6/12/11: NO :( :(

Don't forget the PAW Club "no guilt" rule !!  Step forward smartly !!
    'da NapCat

Thousands of years ago, cats were worshiped as gods...They have never forgotten this !!

Offline David M. Baum

• The Netherlands
    • Don't call me a peck!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #183 on: June 12, 2011, 10:49:59 am »
    Congrats SongbirdVB and NapCat. Well done!
    Aspiring writer.

Offline NapCat (retired)

• View Profile
    « Reply #184 on: June 12, 2011, 10:50:40 am »
    Hey PAWpals! I neglected to check in on Friday. Week one = YES!!

I got home the other day to find that my DH had gone to Costco, and he was eager to tell me he got me a present! I saw a huge box of king size Reese's Peanut Butter cups and said "Please... not those!" I have no defenses against certain things and those are at the top of the list. I said he knew I was trying to lose weight and that wasn't helping. He said "Nope, those are for me... I didn't get you anything." He then grabbed that box AND the big canisters of peanuts he had also gotten for me and hide them. No place to hide the whipped cream cans though. I haven't touched them!
    "...PAWpals'''".....Love it !
    'da NapCat

Offline David M. Baum

• The Netherlands
    • Don't call me a peck!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #185 on: June 12, 2011, 10:51:34 am »
    Don't forget the PAW Club "no guilt" rule !!  Step forward smartly !!
    No one to blame but myself. But - like writing - dieting is a marathon, not a sprint. This week will be better.
    Aspiring writer.

Offline NapCat (retired)

• View Profile
    « Reply #186 on: June 12, 2011, 10:59:00 am »
    "...not to sabotage..."
    Songbird and Spotsmom bring up the very real problem when someone else living in the household does not want to/need to follow our new eating patterns.
    Suggestions? (other than divorce?)
    'da NapCat

Offline David M. Baum

• The Netherlands
    • Don't call me a peck!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #187 on: June 12, 2011, 11:16:38 am »
    Songbird and Spotsmom bring up the very real problem when someone else living in the household does not want to/need to follow our new eating patterns.
    Suggestions? (other than divorce?)

This may sound weak, but: accept that the whole world around you will keep eating and annoy you with temptations. It may help to avoid those temptations at first, and obviously help from housemates/colleagues/family etc. would make it easier. But in the end, you cannot avoid dinner invitations, lunches at work, or an afternoon in a cafe with a friend. You will have to deal with temptations and finding the right balance, and if your housemates don't help you, it will aid you to deal with it sooner.
    Aspiring writer.

Offline john_a_karr

• Raleigh and Wilmington, NC
    • write on
      • View Profile
      • John A. Karr, writer
    « Reply #188 on: June 12, 2011, 11:38:34 am »
    My wife is into the IsaGenix thing and is happy with her results there. She's a physical therapist and has friends trying it, and is now venturing into the weight loss coach thing. I don't follow the program other than I do like the shakes now and then in lieu of a meal, and the powdered energy mix doesn't have caffeine and keeps me from drinking too many diet sodas.

Offline spotsmom

• Sunriver, Oregon
      • View Profile
    « Reply #189 on: June 12, 2011, 02:34:17 pm »
    It's one thing to have to make choices when one goes out to lunch, etc. but it's another to have someone bring home something he/she knows will tempt the other person.  Divorce isn't the answer, but perhaps a stern "talking to"?

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
    • Goodbye, Mr. Milquetoast
      • View Profile
      • Origami Turtle's photostream
    « Reply #190 on: June 12, 2011, 02:40:44 pm »
    Annalog's weigh-in for the week ending 6/12/2011 = YES

My DH usually buys snacks and goodies that he likes and knows that I don't. When he buys something that I like, such as the giant bag of M&Ms with the ziploc top, then he puts them out of sight in the cupboard. When I am tempted, I read the serving size and have 1/2 serving. If that satisfies me then I stop, otherwise I know that I can have another 1/2 serving and think of it as seconds. ;D  (Yes, I measure.)

When at work or out in public then I decide if I want it out of habit or if I really want it. I also ask myself if it is special, such as homemade item versus Dunkin Donut. I will usually have a small piece if it is special and skip it if it is ordinary. Losing weight is tough enough without feeling deprived. However, I do not feel deprived skipping something that is easy to have later. I just try to make later weeks and months away. ;D

Offline Susan in VA

• Northern Virginia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #191 on: June 12, 2011, 05:58:35 pm »
    However, I do not feel deprived skipping something that is easy to have later.

This is helpful.  By that rule, we don't need to deprive ourselves of a piece of special birthday cake, but we can easily skip a donut that's going to be available at the store in identical form next week and next month.  It helps in deciding what's really worth the splurge. 
    Vivete con gioia e semplicit
    State buoni se potete
    Tutto il resto vanit.

Offline spotsmom

• Sunriver, Oregon
      • View Profile
    « Reply #192 on: June 12, 2011, 06:04:30 pm »
    I agree.  If it's special, go for it (in moderation, of course).  It's just so tempting with the large bag of Ruffles on the kitchen counter (which it isn't, thank goodness)!

Offline ellesu

• View Profile
    « Reply #193 on: June 12, 2011, 06:40:22 pm »
    Ruffles! Oy vey! Many things I can eat in moderation but potato chips and peanuts are not included in that list.    :D  And watermelon - I cannot stop. 

Offline lpking

• The Wet Coast
      • View Profile
      • Azarimba
    « Reply #194 on: June 12, 2011, 08:03:40 pm »
    And watermelon - I cannot stop. 

They call it watermelon for a reason. I'd say you're pretty safe with that. (Unless you really overdo it and drown.)
    I base my fashion taste on what doesn't itch. (Gilda Radner)
    www.azarimba.blogspot.com

Offline mom133d (aka Liz)

• Charlottesville, VA
    • Tea & Cake or death?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #195 on: June 13, 2011, 05:59:58 am »
    Check in for week ending 6/13 - no :(
    "There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates' loot on Treasure island and at the bottom of the Spanish Main...and best of all, you can enjoy these riches every day of your life." - Walt Disney

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline NapCat (retired)

• View Profile
    « Reply #196 on: June 13, 2011, 09:10:57 am »
    Check in for week ending 6/13 - no :(

Fortunately, with the PAW Club's "No Guilt" Policy....you can march proudly on !! (hug)
    'da NapCat

Offline mom133d (aka Liz)

• Charlottesville, VA
    • Tea & Cake or death?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #197 on: June 13, 2011, 09:49:02 am »
    Fortunately, with the PAW Club's "No Guilt" Policy....you can march proudly on !! (hug)
    Thanks! And since the weather is nice today, just took a lap around the softball fields. :)
    "There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates' loot on Treasure island and at the bottom of the Spanish Main...and best of all, you can enjoy these riches every day of your life." - Walt Disney

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline *DrDLN* (dr.s.dhillon)

• Mtn House, CA
    • Self-help and Spiritual Living
      • View Profile
      • "HEALTH and LOVE is your birth-right" Series
    « Reply #198 on: June 13, 2011, 10:56:06 am »
    No one to blame but myself. But - like writing - dieting is a marathon, not a sprint. This week will be better.

More like a life-time commitment; and enjoying food we eat. Food is our friend and not the foe..And we all know that... Food industry is too busy processing it till it becomes our foe...

Offline MissStar

• View Profile
    « Reply #199 on: June 13, 2011, 11:15:54 am »
    I am turning into a bit of a Caesar salad freak.  3 days for lunch this week.  Trying to find a dessert last night that I could eat, I bought some strawberries and will have them (sans shortcake) with some Cool Whip tonight.  Unfortunately, I seem to be thinking of food A LOT.

If anyone is just DYING for ice cream...Skinny Cow makes some awesome ice cream sandwiches for pretty low calories.  They have 5 or 6 flavors, but my favorite is strawberry shortcake.  Tastes fantastic!
    Visit my GoodReads Profile
    Books read in 2011: 128
    Currently Reading: The Cat Who Talked to Ghosts by Lilian Jackson Braun
    Last book finished: The Cat Who Went Underground by Lilian Jackson Braun

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.  Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." ~ Groucho Marx

KBoards.com

• Advertisement