Author Topic: Pound-A-Week Club  (Read 99222 times)  

Offline NapCat (retired)

• Lighthouse Ranch, Nevada
    • View Profile
Re: Pound-A-Week Club
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2011, 06:09:14 pm »
So far today: yogurt this morning and a package of nuts this afternoon.  Trying to conserve for Mexican at a restaurant tonight.  I've convinced myself no beans and no rice.  Tostada.

This sure is hard when one is a stress eater...

No stress is allowed on Day 1 !
'da NapCat

Thousands of years ago, cats were worshiped as gods...They have never forgotten this !!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline NapCat (retired)

• View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: June 01, 2011, 06:11:11 pm »
    Good for you!  I've been trying to lose weight for quite awhile and it's been tough.  I do exercise almost every day so I hope between that and better eating habits I'll be okay.

I work in foodservice, and we have GOOD BUT FATTY food around us all the time.  I really need to start ignoring it...

How can you possibly ignore food all around you ?  gasp !  You may have the biggest challenge of all of us on the venture.
    Good Luck
    'da NapCat

Thousands of years ago, cats were worshiped as gods...They have never forgotten this !!

Offline Erin Zarro

• Michigan
      • View Profile
      • Weaver of Words
    « Reply #27 on: June 01, 2011, 06:46:14 pm »
    NapCat - It's really, really tough, which is why I've got 30 pounds on me that I don't need.  Gotta resist, though.  Can't keep going on like this.

Offline NapCat (retired)

• View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: June 01, 2011, 07:49:44 pm »
    NapCat - It's really, really tough, which is why I've got 30 pounds on me that I don't need.  Gotta resist, though.  Can't keep going on like this.

Oh Erin ((HUG)) Don't we all know !?  Glad you joined us, we can do this together !
    'da NapCat

Offline swolf

• View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: June 02, 2011, 08:07:27 am »
    Trying to conserve for Mexican at a restaurant tonight.  I've convinced myself no beans and no rice.  Tostada.

My nutritionist tells me to eat beans and rice.  As a matter of fact, I've lost almost 30 pounds in the past two months eating a lot of her turkey and bean chili.  And on the off nights I have brown rice with spaghetti sauce on it.

I could post the chili recipe later tonight if anyone is interested.

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
    • Goodbye, Mr. Milquetoast
      • View Profile
      • Origami Turtle's photostream
    « Reply #30 on: June 02, 2011, 11:57:54 am »
    The Lose-a-Pound-a-Week Club

I have promised my doctor (and myself) that I would lose 50 pounds over the next year……one pound a week should be very doable.

Please join me in this “Lighthearted” venture...my approach is to take “baby steps” to change my habits.  No specific diet or extreme regime… just move to healthier eating and exercise, by making a lifestyle change each week.

I will happily join you. Since I need to lose more than 50 pounds, a Pound-A-Week is a great goal. I certainly agree with "No specific diet or extreme regime… just move to healthier eating and exercise, by making a lifestyle change each week."

My nutritionist tells me to eat beans and rice.  As a matter of fact, I've lost almost 30 pounds in the past two months eating a lot of her turkey and bean chili.  And on the off nights I have brown rice with spaghetti sauce on it.

I would love to have that chili recipe. Do you think it would work with chicken?

Offline Thumper

• Dixon, CA
    • Will work for cookies
      • View Profile
      • Thumper Thinks Out Loud
    « Reply #31 on: June 02, 2011, 12:05:10 pm »
    Ohhhh! I want to lose a pound a week!

I even joined a gym. Haven't gone yet, but I joined! (ok, to be fair, it's a new one and it opened yesterday...)

I'm also training for the Susan G. Komen 3 Day again...but I did that last year and in all those miles, I didn't lose a freaking thing. I'm guaranteed to lose something this year, but mostly just my dignity, as there's a promise involving pink spandex and a cape...

But yeah! I wanna lose!

Offline NapCat (retired)

• View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: June 02, 2011, 12:25:58 pm »

Hey Wolfy....glad to see you here.....please, by all means share your recipe with us.....and congratulations on your extraordinary loss.
    'da NapCat

Offline NapCat (retired)

• View Profile
    « Reply #33 on: June 02, 2011, 12:30:42 pm »

I would love to have that chili recipe. Do you think it would work with chicken?

Delighted to have you aboard Anna, but I am concerned for "Things 1 & 2"....are they destined to a "Chilly" [sic]  demise ?? Ha!
    'da NapCat

Offline NapCat (retired)

• View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: June 02, 2011, 12:36:18 pm »
    "..mostly just my dignity, as there's a promise involving pink spandex and a cape..."

You do make me giggle Thumper....Join us and hopefully in the future there will be an avatar with you in your new pink outfit next to The Hooded Claw !!
    Now won't that be a sight ??
    'da NapCat

Offline SongbirdVB

• Crystal, Minnesota
      • View Profile
      • Songbird's Nest
    « Reply #35 on: June 02, 2011, 12:50:34 pm »
    I would love to lose a pound a week.  Count me in and give me the chili recipe.  ;D
    Those that cannot forgive others break the bridge over which they must pass themselves; for every person has need of being forgiven.

Offline mom133d (aka Liz)

• Charlottesville, VA
    • Tea & Cake or death?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: June 02, 2011, 12:57:14 pm »
    After the visit with the doc today...I'm in. I'm looking at 20 pounds, but a pounds a pound right?
    "There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates' loot on Treasure island and at the bottom of the Spanish Main...and best of all, you can enjoy these riches every day of your life." - Walt Disney

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline MissStar

• View Profile
    « Reply #37 on: June 02, 2011, 01:09:32 pm »
    If you all don't mind, I think I will join you.   ;D

My goal for today is to get at least 10,000 steps in.  Since I usually only get 4,000 a day, that's a good hour or so (at least) of walking/jogging in place.
    Visit my GoodReads Profile
    Books read in 2011: 128
    Currently Reading: The Cat Who Talked to Ghosts by Lilian Jackson Braun
    Last book finished: The Cat Who Went Underground by Lilian Jackson Braun

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.  Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." ~ Groucho Marx

Offline Alle Meine Entchen

• Huntington, WV
      • View Profile
    « Reply #38 on: June 02, 2011, 01:39:51 pm »
    yeah for those who've become healthier!  I went to the dr today and found that I've lost another 10lbs (morning sickness does not end when the morning does), but since I'm "well padded" (ie overweight) the dr isn't concerned.  I'm not either.  I did this w/ DD (I can only eat a small amount until I start feeling sick) and she's healthy.

Offline David M. Baum

• The Netherlands
    • Don't call me a peck!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #39 on: June 02, 2011, 01:50:58 pm »
    Can we talk kilograms as well? I started 2 months ago, grossly overweight at 110 kilograms. With my bloodpressure and all, I had to lose about 20 kilo.
    I do one of these shakes and bars diets, hardbut not too crazy, and I've already lost 14 kilo in 2 months.

Exercise helps (I bike a lot), and drinking lots of water. Lots. Again going by the metric system, I drink about 3 liters per day.

Good luck, you all!
    Aspiring writer.
    Very good at aspiring, not so much at writing.

Offline swolf

• View Profile
    « Reply #40 on: June 02, 2011, 02:12:04 pm »
    Turkey Chili

1 cup ground turkey
    1 28-oz can chopped tomatoes
    1 15-oz can kidney beans
    1 15-oz can black beans
    1 15-oz can garbanzo beans
    1 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
    1 Tbsp chili powder
    1 tsp cumin
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1-1/2 cups chopped onion
    1 green bell pepper, diced

Brown turkey in large saucepan. Add tomatoes and beans and heat. Add red pepper flakes, cumin and chili powder, mixing well.  Add garlic, 1 cup onion, and pepper, stirring well.  Simmer for 15-20 minutes.  Top with remaining chopped onions and serve.

How I make it:  I use 1 pound of ground turkey instead of 1 cup, making sure to separate it into small pieces.  I'm not a fan of raw onions, so I put them all in instead of saving some for on top later.  I also like things spicier, so I use about 1/2 more of the chili powder, cumin, and garlic than specified.  The recipe doesn't say anything about draining the tomatoes and beans before adding them, but I put it all in and then increase the simmering time to get to the consistency I want.

I would guess chicken can be substituted for the turkey, since they're both good for you.

Offline Annalog

• Arizona, USA
    • Goodbye, Mr. Milquetoast
      • View Profile
      • Origami Turtle's photostream
    « Reply #41 on: June 02, 2011, 02:30:47 pm »
    Delighted to have you aboard Anna, but I am concerned for "Things 1 & 2"....are they destined to a "Chilly" [sic]  demise ?? Ha!
    Thanks, NapCat. No need to worry about Things 1 & 2 at this time. I have learned that well behaved roosters seem to be a rare commodity.  ;) The freezer is still fairly full with most of a dozen of the original 15 cockerels who never had more specific names than Nugget and Tender Fillet before they became very chilly. Named roosters do not need to worry about a "Chilly" demise unless they have a change in temperament for the worse; i.e., they don't bite me and I don't bite them.

Offline ellesu

• View Profile
    « Reply #42 on: June 02, 2011, 03:20:51 pm »
    I'm in! And that chili recipe looks delish - thanks! Right now I'm in a location where I can walk daily and meet my 10,000 step goal - hope it lasts a while.  And the heat's so bad I'm surely sweating off a few additional ounces??

Thanks NapCat, I needed this!

Offline spotsmom

• Sunriver, Oregon
      • View Profile
    « Reply #43 on: June 02, 2011, 03:45:23 pm »
    Wolfy, what kind of beans and rice?  I like your chili recipe.  Sounds like a crock pot adventure with more for later! 

Glad to see so many people on board.  Great group support when we need it.

Yogurt, chicken caesar salad (instead of the sub) so far today. Haven't really jonesed for a Frosty yet.

Offline Erin Zarro

• Michigan
      • View Profile
      • Weaver of Words
    « Reply #44 on: June 02, 2011, 03:47:04 pm »
    Thanks, NapCat.  Tonight the hubby and I are taking a walk.  The weather finally cooled down and I feel good about this. 

Offline lpking

• The Wet Coast
      • View Profile
      • Azarimba
    « Reply #45 on: June 02, 2011, 03:52:16 pm »
    The current thinking seems to be that "the white stuff" is to be avoided, in the way of starches/carbs. Try brown rice, whole wheat cous cous, whole grain breads, etc. And beans are really really good for you! I only wish I could eat more of them. (Beano doesn't agree with me any better than beans do...  >:()
    I base my fashion taste on what doesn't itch. (Gilda Radner)
    www.azarimba.blogspot.com

Offline spotsmom

• Sunriver, Oregon
      • View Profile
    « Reply #46 on: June 02, 2011, 03:54:11 pm »
    But the white stuff is what I like best!!  Including vanilla ice cream (with chocolate sauce, of course).

Offline lpking

• The Wet Coast
      • View Profile
      • Azarimba
    « Reply #47 on: June 02, 2011, 03:59:36 pm »
    But the white stuff is what I like best!!  Including vanilla ice cream (with chocolate sauce, of course).

White starches (rice, white bread) make your blood sugar spike, in the current view of nutritionists who are worried about people developing Type II (adult onset) diabetes, a.k.a. insulin resistance.

Vanilla ice cream's high in fat.  ;D (But it does have a lot of sugar -- the white stuff, of course!)
    I base my fashion taste on what doesn't itch. (Gilda Radner)
    www.azarimba.blogspot.com

Offline swolf

• View Profile
    « Reply #48 on: June 02, 2011, 05:43:21 pm »
    Wolfy, what kind of beans and rice?

The beans are in the chili.

As for the rice, the whole grain brown rice is better for you, but I'm not a big fan of it.  However, I've found that if I spice up the water I cook it in (oregano, basil, garlic powder, onion powder, Mrs. Dash, etc) and then put some spaghetti sauce on it, it's not too bad.

Offline Susan in VA

• Northern Virginia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #49 on: June 02, 2011, 07:10:41 pm »

Got room for another one?  I was doing fine earlier this year, dropped a few pounds, but gained it all back when I broke my toe and couldn't exercise for two months.  A support group would certainly help with the frustration of having to lose those pounds all over again...
    Vivete con gioia e semplicit
    State buoni se potete
    Tutto il resto vanit.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement