Author Topic: Pound-A-Week Club  (Read 99225 times)  

Offline NapCat (retired)

• Lighthouse Ranch, Nevada
    • View Profile
Re: Pound-A-Week Club
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2011, 07:25:07 pm »
I would love to lose a pound a week.  Count me in and give me the chili recipe.  ;D

You are counted !!  So glad you are joining us !
'da NapCat

Thousands of years ago, cats were worshiped as gods...They have never forgotten this !!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline NapCat (retired)

• View Profile
    « Reply #51 on: June 02, 2011, 07:26:25 pm »
    After the visit with the doc today...I'm in. I'm looking at 20 pounds, but a pounds a pound right?

Great !  Glad you are here !
    'da NapCat

Thousands of years ago, cats were worshiped as gods...They have never forgotten this !!

Offline NapCat (retired)

• View Profile
    « Reply #52 on: June 02, 2011, 07:29:07 pm »
    If you all don't mind, I think I will join you.   ;D

My goal for today is to get at least 10,000 steps in.  Since I usually only get 4,000 a day, that's a good hour or so (at least) of walking/jogging in place.

Mind?  Of course not.....I like your 10,000 step goal....hope you have a nice place to walk......please share with us how that goes.
    I assume you use a step counter....which one?
    'da NapCat

Offline NapCat (retired)

• View Profile
    « Reply #53 on: June 02, 2011, 07:33:46 pm »
    Can we talk kilograms as well? I started 2 months ago, grossly overweight at 110 kilograms. With my bloodpressure and all, I had to lose about 20 kilo.
    I do one of these shakes and bars diets, hardbut not too crazy, and I've already lost 14 kilo in 2 months.

Exercise helps (I bike a lot), and drinking lots of water. Lots. Again going by the metric system, I drink about 3 liters per day.

Good luck, you all!

Thank You for pointing out that the KB is an International Community.  Here is a link to one of many on-line conversion sites.

http://www.unitconversion.org/unit_converter/weight.html

Glad you are with us....Good Luck !!
    'da NapCat

Offline NapCat (retired)

• View Profile
    « Reply #54 on: June 02, 2011, 07:36:40 pm »
    Turkey Chili

That You for sharing your recipe.....I have the ingredients on my shopping list !!
    'da NapCat

Offline NapCat (retired)

• View Profile
    « Reply #55 on: June 02, 2011, 07:45:56 pm »
    I'm in! And that chili recipe looks delish - thanks! Right now I'm in a location where I can walk daily and meet my 10,000 step goal - hope it lasts a while.  And the heat's so bad I'm surely sweating off a few additional ounces??

Thanks NapCat, I needed this!

Glad you are with us.......credit for the Chile recipe goes to swolf
    I am just delighted to see so many folks joining in....
    'da NapCat

Offline NapCat (retired)

• View Profile
    « Reply #56 on: June 02, 2011, 07:47:16 pm »
    Thanks, NapCat.  Tonight the hubby and I are taking a walk.  The weather finally cooled down and I feel good about this. 

Have a nice walk...
    'da NapCat

Offline NapCat (retired)

• View Profile
    « Reply #57 on: June 02, 2011, 07:50:24 pm »
    The current thinking seems to be that "the white stuff" is to be avoided, in the way of starches/carbs. Try brown rice, whole wheat cous cous, whole grain breads, etc. And beans are really really good for you! I only wish I could eat more of them. (Beano doesn't agree with me any better than beans do...  >:()

Thanks for the tips (and for mentioning the side effects).  I have read that when we go to a higher fiber diet, that particular side effect is common, BUT TEMPORARY !!
    'da NapCat

Offline NapCat (retired)

• View Profile
    « Reply #58 on: June 02, 2011, 07:53:13 pm »
    Got room for another one?  I was doing fine earlier this year, dropped a few pounds, but gained it all back when I broke my toe and couldn't exercise for two months.  A support group would certainly help with the frustration of having to lose those pounds all over again...

Your in !!  Hope the toe is better.....remember we are concerned with just ONE POUND this week !!
    'da NapCat

Offline NapCat (retired)

• View Profile
    « Reply #59 on: June 02, 2011, 07:58:22 pm »
    To All:

I am just so delighted at the turnout for this venture......it is just a reflection of the true "Community Spirit"of the KB.

For me, my first "baby step" is the hardest.....that being eating on a schedule.  After a lifetime of working odd and rotary shifts, I have fallen into terrible eating habits....not so much what I eat, but when.......I am making an extreme effort to eat breakfast and not eat at bedtime.  Very hard for me.

Can a cat truly nap without cookies and milk???

Thanks everyone for being here for me.....

Walter
    'da NapCat

Offline ellesu

• View Profile
    « Reply #60 on: June 03, 2011, 05:50:48 am »
    NapCat, I agree - I do better with a routine.  We travel a lot with hubby's work and trying to eat well on the move is hard.  We're settled for a month and I can control my eating for now - and take l-o-n-g daily walks.  We were in Oregon last year through the first of this year and I loved it - walking is a way of life there! I was doing so good while up there, but....that long cross-country trip back home to Louisiana (fuled with fast food) undid all my good work.  THEN we arrived home at Mardi Gras and I just said fuggetaboutit.  Now we're on the east coast and I'm playing catch up.  We've been here three weeks now and for the first two I did great.  This week has been rough - I've been tempted to reward myself for having been so good and slip back into some old unhealthy habits.   :-\   My challenge is going to be continuing the changes from week to week and this thread will be a big help!

Now, to start this day.  Coffee first. :D Oatmeal.  Long walk - and on my walk back I will not stop by that restaurant I've been wanting to try and pick up carry out crab cake and shrimp jambalaya dinners (along with bread pudding and a slice of yellow cake with chocolate icing).  Yep.  That was my plan.  Now I've gotta be strong.   

Offline mom133d (aka Liz)

• Charlottesville, VA
    • Tea & Cake or death?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #61 on: June 03, 2011, 06:14:54 am »
    Dang it! My insurance company sent everyone on my insurance pedometers. (Why the 5 year old needs one is beyond me ;) ) I realised as I dropped the youngen off at daycare that I left mine on the kitchen counter! I still plan on taking a walk at lunch, we'll start counting steps next week!
    "There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates' loot on Treasure island and at the bottom of the Spanish Main...and best of all, you can enjoy these riches every day of your life." - Walt Disney

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline MissStar

• View Profile
    « Reply #62 on: June 03, 2011, 06:41:11 am »
    Mind?  Of course not.....I like your 10,000 step goal....hope you have a nice place to walk......please share with us how that goes.
    I assume you use a step counter....which one?

It went pretty well.  I only got to about 9.000 because I had to stop and make a card for a coworkers birthday today.  I just walk/jog in place in my bedroom.  I don't really like walking around our neighborhood by myself, especially at night. I have a Fitbit.  It's a great step-counter (very accurate), but it's so much more.  It tracks calories burned, recent activity level (the flower on the display grows between 1 and 11 leaves depending on how active you have been in the past 3 hours), miles walked.  When you sleep, it tells you how long it takes you to fall asleep and how many times you wake up during the day.  It syncs wirelessly with your computer when you're within 15 feet...I just LOVE my fitbit.  Plus, unlike the BodyBugg or GoWhereFit, it's small and the software is free. (You can get a premium service, but that's still only $50 a year.)  Ok, sorry, I'll stop now.  I REALLY love my Fitbit.  I love it as much as we all love our Kindles.  :D
    Visit my GoodReads Profile
    Books read in 2011: 128
    Currently Reading: The Cat Who Talked to Ghosts by Lilian Jackson Braun
    Last book finished: The Cat Who Went Underground by Lilian Jackson Braun

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.  Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." ~ Groucho Marx

Offline candggmom

• Moyock, NC
      • View Profile
    « Reply #63 on: June 03, 2011, 07:40:06 am »
    I'd like to join in also please!  My first goal is to drink more water.  I seem to get busy around the house and forget the water or a healthy snack and then here comes the afternoon and I seem to graze until suppertime and then eat too much.  I'm also an emotional eater - oh who am I kidding - I'm a continuous eater!  Whether I'm happy, sad, mad, sick or whatever I use it as an excuse to eat!  I'm going to try and make my second goal to come to the computer and post to y'all before I pig out!  LOL!

Thanks for starting this NapCat and thanks to everyone else for being here!

Kathy in NC

Offline MissStar

• View Profile
    « Reply #64 on: June 03, 2011, 07:46:27 am »
    I'm also an emotional eater - oh who am I kidding - I'm a continuous eater! 

Oh, honey, me too!  Good luck on the water goal!  That should be one of mine, too. LOL

So, first challenge of the day.  We are having Davanni's (a pizza place) for lunch for my coworker's birthday today.  Luckily we are not sharing pizza, we are each getting what we want.  I am getting a side garden salad, no cheese, no croutons, lite ranch and 2 breadsticks with red sauce.  400 calories...not too shabby!  Also, I offered to watch the phones instead of eating in the confrence room with everyone....so I won't be tempted with cake!  Wish me luck on staying away from the cake temptation!  :-X

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.  Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." ~ Groucho Marx

Offline MissStar

• View Profile
    « Reply #65 on: June 03, 2011, 07:48:09 am »
    Can a cat truly nap without cookies and milk???

You can do it, Walter!  Just remember.....kitties are lactose intolerant, and what are cookies with no milk, so you can beat the temptation!   ;D

Offline MissStar

• View Profile
    « Reply #66 on: June 03, 2011, 07:51:51 am »
    This week has been rough - I've been tempted to reward myself for having been so good and slip back into some old unhealthy habits.   :-\   My challenge is going to be continuing the changes from week to week and this thread will be a big help!

Now, to start this day.  Coffee first. :D Oatmeal.  Long walk - and on my walk back I will not stop by that restaurant I've been wanting to try and pick up carry out crab cake and shrimp jambalaya dinners (along with bread pudding and a slice of yellow cake with chocolate icing).  Yep.  That was my plan.  Now I've gotta be strong.   

I know how you feel...I've always "rewarded" myself with food for being good and ended up worse off than before.  That's no reward.  My new reward for being good: crafting supplies.  Maybe a stamp, or a die that I've really been wanting, or a handfull of Copic markers.  Let's see if I can hold on to that resolve.  :-\

Be strong, you can do it! 

• Charlottesville, VA
    • Tea & Cake or death?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #67 on: June 03, 2011, 08:01:10 am »
    Oh, honey, me too!  Good luck on the water goal!  That should be one of mine, too. LOL

So, first challenge of the day.  We are having Davanni's (a pizza place) for lunch for my coworker's birthday today.  Luckily we are not sharing pizza, we are each getting what we want.  I am getting a side garden salad, no cheese, no croutons, lite ranch and 2 breadsticks with red sauce.  400 calories...not too shabby!  Also, I offered to watch the phones instead of eating in the confrence room with everyone....so I won't be tempted with cake!  Wish me luck on staying away from the cake temptation!  :-X
    Good luck! And if you do cave with the cake, try what I see co-workers do, cut the offered piece in half. Personally, I've never had the willpower and think the pieces are already fairly small. :) Guess I should change that, huh?
    "There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates' loot on Treasure island and at the bottom of the Spanish Main...and best of all, you can enjoy these riches every day of your life." - Walt Disney

Offline David M. Baum

• The Netherlands
    • Don't call me a peck!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #68 on: June 03, 2011, 08:47:00 am »
    I'd like to join in also please!  My first goal is to drink more water. 
    Please do. Drinking more water really helps. I carry a bottle with me to most places, and I count how many bottles I finish.
    Aspiring writer.
    Very good at aspiring, not so much at writing.

Offline MissStar

• View Profile
    « Reply #69 on: June 03, 2011, 09:51:09 am »
    Good luck! And if you do cave with the cake, try what I see co-workers do, cut the offered piece in half. Personally, I've never had the willpower and think the pieces are already fairly small. :) Guess I should change that, huh?

Thanks!  =)  I've already told them to not give me any, and to not tell me what it was.  (I won't miss what I don't know about.)  Unfortunately someone told me it was cheesecake before they found out I didn't want to know. LOL  We've been referring to it as "tripple chocolate chocolate chunk" cheescake (even though I don't think it acutally has any chocolate in it) because I don't like chocolate.   ;D

I hear ya, though.  I have little willpower.  You put a slice in front of me, I'm going to eat it, not just half.  LOL

Offline *DrDLN* (dr.s.dhillon)

• Mtn House, CA
    • Self-help and Spiritual Living
      • View Profile
      • "HEALTH and LOVE is your birth-right" Series
    « Reply #70 on: June 03, 2011, 10:16:49 am »
    Please keep up your enthusiasm. But as we know diet and exercise have failed to lower weight. All kind of diets, exercise programs and other solutions have not worked even though it has become a billion dollar industry. If it did, we will not have all these grim statistics and over-weight people walking around.

I will not be able to discuss further or give any advice because it is against the KB rules.

Wish you all the very best.

Offline spotsmom

• Sunriver, Oregon
      • View Profile
    « Reply #71 on: June 03, 2011, 10:41:35 am »
    Dang it! My insurance company sent everyone on my insurance pedometers.

Now we know why insurance rates are so high...  ;D

Woke up this morning with stomach growling and thought nah, I really don't need to stop at McD for a sausage biscuit...

• Charlottesville, VA
    • Tea & Cake or death?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #72 on: June 03, 2011, 10:51:23 am »
    Now we know why insurance rates are so high...  ;D

Woke up this morning with stomach growling and thought nah, I really don't need to stop at McD for a sausage biscuit...
    Good for you!

And yeah...my insurance is really into wellness. Since DH & I filled out their online health profile, we get $100 credit towards deductions and they are paying for DH's smoking cessation meds.

Back on the real topic...I kept my promise and went for that walk this afternoon. When I got back I asked if anyone remembered how long the track was. Co-worker said she thought it was a little over a mile roundtrip from the building and back. Everyone always complains on how steep the stairs are...they aren't joking!

Offline swolf

• View Profile
    « Reply #73 on: June 03, 2011, 11:02:48 am »
    But as we know diet and exercise have failed to lower weight.

I can personally attest that a good diet and exercise do lower weight.  (And I can also personally attest that a bad diet and no exercise causes weight gain.)

A good diet and exercise works.  The hard part, and why they fail, is because it's hard to stick to doing it.

Offline David M. Baum

• The Netherlands
    • Don't call me a peck!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #74 on: June 03, 2011, 11:33:12 am »
    We've been referring to it as "tripple chocolate chocolate chunk" cheescake (even though I don't think it acutally has any chocolate in it) because I don't like chocolate.   ;D
    Chocolate has been one of my biggest problems. I'm addicted to the stuff. If I didn't get my daily fix (a whole bar, yes  :(), I would eat chocolate sprinkles for cake decoration. On really bad days, I would snort a line of cocoa powder, and I was often tempted to inject hot cocoa directly into the veins.

And every time I stand in the grocery store waiting to pay, the Mars bars whisper to me: "come on over to the dark chocolate side."

Okay, I'm off to eat a carrot or two.  :'(

Stick with it people. The trick is being harsh to yourself for 2 or 3 months, and then you just don't want to gain again what you worked so hard to lose. At least for me, that gives me the motivation to keep going now, and made me truly change my eating habits. 
    Aspiring writer.
    Very good at aspiring, not so much at writing.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement