Author Topic: Trendy Digital Waterguard Waterproof Case review by pile of monkeys  (Read 7676 times)  

Offline pile of monkeys

• View Profile
So, I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow morning and realized on Sunday (5 days ago) that I had nothing to protect my Kindle 2 at the beach. After consulting the forums, I ordered the Quik Tek 9x12 Dry Pak, but wasn't thrilled that it was so much bigger than my Kindle. I saw the Trendy Digital waterproof case at trendydigital.com, but noticed that the website said that product wasn't shipping until April 20th (2 days after I left!). Just to be sure, I sent the company an email, just asking if they could let me know if the ship date moved up at all, since that was the cover I really wanted. First thing Monday morning, I received an email from Mark in customer service, saying that they had a handful of the product in an early shipment for product reviewers, but given that I was leaving the country before the ship date, they'd be happy to let me have one of those few! And they upgraded my shipping so I could be sure to get it on time! Now THAT'S customer service! I received it yesterday, and am very excited to share my impressions of it with you guys (sorry for the picture quality):

The cover right out of the package- it was shipped folded in half in a pouch, so there's a slight bend in the vinyl, which is now nearly gone, after a quick hit with a low-heat blowdryer and some weight on it overnight:

The closure is a "double zip" (like a ziplock bag), which really is quadruple, since each "zipper" has two rows, and there are two sets. You then fold the zipped part down, and snap the outer closure together. Total time to close it took me about 15-20 seconds:
Closure open:

The Kindle 2 fits snugly in the cover, with a clear screen for the screen/buttons, and a blue matte border:

Back view:

The page turn buttons and keyboard are easily accessible, and you can press them with no difficulty. The 5-way button is difficult to access, as it would be in any bag, but I did it a few times. I would suggest making sure you've selected the book and page you want to start from before putting it in the cover. There is some glare over the screen, but it's not distracting, and I can't imagine a way to make a cover like this glare-less without losing screen clarity.

There is also an adjustable lanyard-type string that the whole case hangs from.

I did the "paper towel test" (put a dry paper towel in the bag, seal it, then submerse the bag in water). Dry paper towel, so the watertightness seems very good.

In all, I'm very happy with this product, and incredibly impressed with Trendy Digital's customer service. I'm thrilled to be able to take this cover with me on vacation (and to the beach all summer!), and will report back after a week of heavy usage. I'll only have time to check the boards maybe once tonight before I leave, but if there are any questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

(Standard disclaimer: I am not in any way affiliated with Trendy Digital beyond being a very satisfied customer.)

> Amazon link
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 12:36:18 pm by Harvey »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Hedy

• MA
      • View Profile
      • Walt Disney World:  It's not Just for kids
    Re: Trendy Digital Waterguard Waterproof Case review by pile of monkeys
    « Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 03:52:23 pm »
    Thanks for this review.
    Looking forward to getting my Kindle for Christmas!     Visit my blog: Walt Disney World:  It's Not Just for Kids

Offline John Van Stry

• Van Alstyne, Texas
      • View Profile
      • My Website
    Thank you for this review, I have been looking for something like this.

Offline John Dorian

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 09:04:51 pm »
    That's a nice and detailed review!

I'd been wondering what sort of options there were for waterproofing a Kindle, from this it looks like a good'un! Everyone knows there's nothing better than reading under and umbrella at the beach, and what better to do it with than your trusty Kindle? 8)

Thanks for the review! Very well written and constructive. :)

Offline Xreader

• View Profile
      • Kindle UK
    « Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 10:35:32 pm »
    Thanks for a helpful review.  8) I'm going to get a red one.
    Live and Learn. Kindle 4 UK

Offline CrystalMarcos

• Washington State
      • View Profile
      • Crystal Marcos Official Site
    « Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 07:11:04 pm »
    I really like this case. Bought two off Amazon. One for my husband's Kindle and one for my Nook. I used it today in the tub while I actually had a chance to take a long bath. It was relaxing! Great to have if I ever want to use it around water. I know I have read people say use a ziplock but after spending hundreds of dollars on both devices I feel safer using something actually designed to save your device against water damage.
    Award-winning author Crystal Marcos has been a storyteller her entire life. As the oldest of five children, she had to do a lot of entertaining. She lives on the Kitsap Peninsula in Washington State with her husband, daughter Kaylee, and infant son Jaxon. Crystal is the author of BELLYACHE: A Delicious Tale and HEADACHE: The Hair-Raising Sequel to BELLYACHE. Novus, her third book and first Young Adult novel, is Book One of The Cresecren Chronicles. Bartholomew Buggins: A Zombie with Different Cravings is her first picture book.
    Crystal Marcos | Author Crystal Marcos | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads | LinkedIn | Pinterest

Offline omnibus34

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 06:00:52 am »
    A zip or slide lock freezer bag accomplishes pretty much the same protection for only a few cents each.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement