Author Topic: Miscellaneous Bible & Spiritual Questions  (Read 9026 times)  

Offline mwvickers

• View Profile
Re: Miscellaneous Bible & Spiritual Questions
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2009, 09:18:16 am »
I don't know why I always call you Mike! Hopefully I will get it right one day but don't count on it.  :) Perhaps I should stick with mvickers. How is your wife, not long now before little Brianna will be arriving.

No worries.  Martin is not that common of a name.  Besides, I'm horrible with names myself.  LOL

My wife is doing very well.  We have five more weeks until her due date.  We still have a lot to do to get ready, though.  LOL

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Anju No. 469

• Lakeside, Mexico
      • View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: May 05, 2009, 02:08:35 pm »
    MW I don't think you were lecturing - if you were I'd have loved to have had you as a prof in some of my classes - economic and finance?   :P  The profs were the worst ever.

You just made everything seem so understandable in such layman terms.

Thank you again and again and again

AND you will keep us updated on the new addition?????????
    Dona
    on the shores of Lake Chapala, Mexico

Offline Chad Winters

• View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: May 05, 2009, 03:31:37 pm »
    if you're ever interested in digging into the nuts and bolts for answers like MW gave, I took the online Theology Program courses (http://www.ttpstudents.com/content/ttp/home/) recently and they were excellent for educating laypeople on the "why we believe what we believe" stuff in a very friendly manner.  Highly reccomended!

Member since 10/28/2008 | (make your own reading bar)

Offline Anju No. 469

• Lakeside, Mexico
      • View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: May 05, 2009, 03:48:32 pm »
    if you're ever interested in digging into the nuts and bolts for answers like MW gave, I took the online Theology Program courses (http://www.ttpstudents.com/content/ttp/home/) recently and they were excellent for educating laypeople on the "why we believe what we believe" stuff in a very friendly manner.  Highly reccomended!

Thanks Chad - I just might do that!  I do like studying, just don't like taking tests, I freak out.
    Dona
    on the shores of Lake Chapala, Mexico

Offline marianneg

• Dallas, TX
      • View Profile
      • Mariannerisms: my ramblings about books, TV, and life
    « Reply #29 on: May 05, 2009, 06:11:11 pm »
    Some other good resources are anything by Josh McDowell or Lee Strobel.
    Read my blog about books, TV, and my life at mariannerisms.wordpress.com
    Follow me on Twitter
    Follow me on Pinterest
    Friend me at Goodreads

Offline Suzanne

• N. Huntingdon, PA
    • No. 336
      • View Profile
    « Reply #30 on: May 05, 2009, 06:27:20 pm »
    Thanks, marianner!

Offline Chad Winters

• View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: May 05, 2009, 08:55:23 pm »
    and I like www.str.org for just general critical thinking skills

Offline mwvickers

• View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: May 06, 2009, 05:49:32 am »
    MW I don't think you were lecturing - if you were I'd have loved to have had you as a prof in some of my classes -

You just made my day!  LOL

You just made everything seem so understandable in such layman terms.

That is one goal I have in trying to share what I have learned with others.

AND you will keep us updated on the new addition?????????

I will do my best.  Once she's here, I'm going to be even busier than I am now.  LOL

Offline mwvickers

• View Profile
    « Reply #33 on: May 06, 2009, 05:51:59 am »
    Marianner and Chad,

Great resources to point out!  I would also recommend anything by Ravi Zacharias and William Lane Craig, though their writings lean more philosophical than historical in nature. 

Chad, what was your overall impression of the Theology Program?  I know they lean Reformed/Calvinist, but I hear they are very balanced considering.  Did you do the free path, or did you pay to receive the other books, DVDs, etc.?

Offline Chad Winters

• View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: May 06, 2009, 08:48:00 am »
    Marianner and Chad,

Great resources to point out!  I would also recommend anything by Ravi Zacharias and William Lane Craig, though their writings lean more philosophical than historical in nature. 

Chad, what was your overall impression of the Theology Program?  I know they lean Reformed/Calvinist, but I hear they are very balanced considering.  Did you do the free path, or did you pay to receive the other books, DVDs, etc.?

They were very balanced, gave a very accurate description of each position and why people held it. They did not push a specific belief on the "non-essentials". I thought it was excellent. I learned an incredible amount. I did the paid version, only because it made me complete it and the online classroom discussions were very helpful.

You don't have to buy the DVDs. I watched online and downloaded the free PDFs for the workbook. I did buy Grudem's Systematic Theology (~25.00) which is used through all 6 classes and is very helpful.
    « Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 08:50:30 am by Chad Winters (#102) »

Offline Suzanne

• N. Huntingdon, PA
    • No. 336
      • View Profile
    « Reply #35 on: June 12, 2009, 10:58:24 am »
    This is from a book I am currently reading. I really liked it.

Once asked how he overcame the devil, Martin Luther replied, "Well, When he comes knocking upon the door of my heart and asks, 'Who lives here?' the dear Lord Jesus goes to the door and says, 'Martin Luther used to live here but he has moved out. Now I live here.' The Devil, seeing the nail-prints in His hands, and the pierced side, takes flight immediately.

This is the book I am reading:

Offline Angela

• Texas
    • aka: tx_angel, A Wayt, Babe, Mom, Grandma, Hey YOU
      • View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: June 13, 2009, 09:08:38 am »
    Leslie - I am/have in the same boat as you. My father has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's, too and my mother is now exhibiting signs of dementia. Having to be parents to our parents is not an easy chore. I pray that God will give you the strength and the wisdom in the days ahead. I know they won't be easy, but I hope you can find comfort in knowing that we are lifting you and your family in prayer.

Sailor - yes, I will pray for your friend. I will also pray for you as you minister to him.

Everyone else - as usual I am praying for you all daily. Hope you all have a wonderful blessed weekend in the Lord!

Angela

Offline marianneg

• Dallas, TX
      • View Profile
      • Mariannerisms: my ramblings about books, TV, and life
    « Reply #37 on: December 20, 2009, 02:38:27 pm »
    Not a question, but this is something neat that I learned that I wanted to share with y'all:

Betrothal, or the contractual promise to marry, is not a custom commonly practiced in modern times.  But for ancient Jews, it was the norm and is filled with meaning.

Throughout history God has used stories and symbolism to communicate the truths of His Kingdom.  One of the most familiar symbols, still practiced today, is the Lord's Supper.  It illustrates the covenant God made with us through Jesus.  Though we understand the bread and wine as symbolic of Christ's body and blood, there is yet more symbolism included in the Lord's Supper.  In fact, the Lord's Supper is a betrothal, a marriage contract with us, His bride.

According to ancient Jewish marriage customs, when a young man saw the girl he wanted to marry (or the girl his father had chosen for him), he would approach her with a marriage contract called a ketubah.  The contract stated what the groom would provide in the marriage.  It was legally binding and would become the property of the wife entitling her to all the provisions promised therein.  The most important part of this contract was the "price" he would pay to marry her.  The Bible says, "We are bought with a price."  This may seem old-fashioned to us, but at that time it established the degree of esteem the groom held for his bride and demonstrated his willingness to sacrifice something of great value for her.

It is a common misconception today that a betrothal meant that a woman was promised against her will.  Although the parents may have initiated most marriage, the bride would still decide whether to accept the offer of marriage.  If she deemed the offer to be suitable, she would drink a cup of wine with the groom.  This was a sign of the covenant established between them.  In the same way, Jesus offered his disciples the cup, and each time we partake in the Lord's Supper we accept the covenant offered us and recognize the price he paid for us.

After the cup was shared, the groom would pay the price agreed upon and say, "I go to prepare a place for you..."  He then returned to his father's house to build their bridal chamber, either as an addition to his father's house or a separate house on his father's property.  The idea was that if he had already paid the price he would not likely go back on his word, but would fulfill his promise to prepare a place and come back to "redeem" his bride.  Jesus paid the ultimate price and then sent the Holy Spirit as "deposit" until his return.

Only the father could determine when the bridal chamber was ready.  Typically it took up to a year to complete.  (Some say the decision was left to the father for practical reasons because if it were up to the groom he would be in too big of a hurry to fetch his bride and might build something too hastily.  During this time the bride would ready herself for the upcoming wedding.  She set herself apart and was referred to as consecrated.  She wore a veil in public to signify that she belonged to someone.  Today the Bible says that the Bride of Christ wears a veil and we are to keep ourselves set apart, resisting the offers of the enemy and remaining pure for Christ's return.

I had actually heard the bit about the groom building the house before, but not the bit comparing the Lord's Supper to the betrothal ceremony.  And I think that it's all interesting, and that you all might enjoy meditating on it this Christmas as much as I have!

The whole thing is actually from the program from the First Baptist, Duncanville, TX, Christmas play, called Let There Be Light.  It's unique among the plays I have seen, in that it starts with Mary and Joseph, pre-betrothal, in Nazareth, and incorporates the elements that I talked about above.  They have tried to be historically accurate as much as possible, even having the wise men arrive at a house to see a toddler Jesus, instead of at the stable.  It's a yearly production, and it's free, so if anyone is in the DFW area next year, I highly recommend going to see it!  The talent is all from that church (except a few instrumentalists), and it's a first-rate production as well as a great worship experience.
    Read my blog about books, TV, and my life at mariannerisms.wordpress.com
    Follow me on Twitter
    Follow me on Pinterest
    Friend me at Goodreads

Offline Suzanne

• N. Huntingdon, PA
    • No. 336
      • View Profile
    « Reply #38 on: December 21, 2009, 11:04:28 am »
    Thanks for sharing that, Marianne. I learned a lot when I read that.

Offline mwvickers

• View Profile
    « Reply #39 on: December 16, 2016, 10:48:53 am »
    Fond memories looking back over some of these discussions. 

Long time no . . . write.  Hope everyone is doing well!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement