Author Topic: A review that made my day (BADWATER)  (Read 1156 times)  

Online ToniD

• California
    • View Profile
    • website
A review that made my day (BADWATER)
« on: June 16, 2011, 01:24:15 pm »
BADWATER is now on a pre-Thanksgiving sale, reduced from $2.99.

Just have to share my latest review:

A Smooth, Expertly Written Thriller, November 3, 2011
By Michael Wallace "author of The Righteous" - See all my reviews
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: BADWATER (The Forensic Geology Series) (Kindle Edition)
I was pleased to come across Badwater after hearing it mentioned on a writing forum. After sampling the first few pages I immediately recognized that Dwiggins knew how to weave a page-turning story. The plot at the heart of Badwater has elements of a technothriller, but the book avoids dumping too much information, instead doling out just enough background about geology and radioactive materials that I believed the characters (and by extension, the author) knew what they were talking about. In addition, there are some wonderfully nuanced characters, including the pair of forensic anthropologists, the villain, and a number of minor characters who Dwiggins deftly draws with a telling stroke or two.

Highly recommended.

http://www/amazon.com/dp/B005466WQ6
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 02:43:31 pm by ToniD »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not really a moderator. :)
      • View Profile
    Re: badwater
    « Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 07:27:04 am »
    Welcome to KindleBoards, Toni, and congratulations on your book! 

Please note that KindleBoards is a Readers and Kindle Fan forum.  As such, self-promotion, of any sort, is ONLY allowed in the Book Bazaar.

A brief recap of our rules follows:

--Please bookmark this thread (using your browser's bookmark/favorite function) so you can update it as we ask that authors have only one thread per book and add to it when there is more information.  You may start a separate thread for each book (or you may have one thread per series of books, or one thread for all of your books, it's your choice).

--We invite you to use your book cover as your avatar and have links to your book and website in your signature. Instructions are posted here

--While you may respond to member posts to your thread at any time, you may only bump your thread (back-to-back posts by you) once every seven days.  Once you've responded to a member, that resets the clock to zero and you must wait seven days to post, unless another member posts before then.

--We ask that Amazon reviews not be repeated here as they are easy to find at your book link.  Also, full reviews from other sites should not be posted here, but you may post a short blurb and a link to the full review instead.

--Although self-promotion is limited to the Book Bazaar, our most successful authors have found the best way to promote their books is to be as active throughout KindleBoards as time allows.  This is your target audience--book lovers with Kindles!  Please note that putting link information in the body of your posts constitutes self promotion; please leave your links for your profile signature that will automatically appear on each post.  For information on more ways to promote here on KindleBoards, be sure to check out this thread:
    Authors: KindleBoards Tips & FAQ.

All this, and more, is included in our Forum Decorum.  Be sure to check it from time to time for the current guidelines and rules.

Oh, and one more thing:  be sure to check out the index threads at the top of the Book Bazaar. . . .there are details there about how you can be listed so that our readers can find you.

Thanks for being part of KindleBoards!  Feel free to send us a PM if you have any questions.

Betsy & Ann
    Book Bazaar Moderators
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Online ToniD

• California
      • View Profile
      • website
    Re: badwater
    « Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 09:50:11 am »
    Thanks Ann!

And, whoops, I put some reviews in my post. Shall I redo it?

Online ToniD

• California
      • View Profile
      • website
    A Death Valley Ecothriller
    « Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 02:55:22 pm »
    BADWATER:

Forensic geologists Cassie Oldfield and Walter Shaws embark on a perilous hunt--tracking a terrorist who has stolen radioactive material that is hotter than the desert in August. He threatens to release it in America's most fragile national park, Death Valley.

But first he must stop the geologists who are closing in.

As the hunt turns dangerous, Cassie and Walter will need grit along with their field skills to survive this case. For they are up against more than pure malice. The unstable atom--in the hands of an unstable man--is governed by Murphy's Law. Whatever can go wrong, will go wrong.

And it does.

REVIEW:
    "In this superb, taut, action-packed thriller set in the California desert, a highway hijacking turns toxic and Cassie Oldfield, forensic geologist, is called in to help the FBI and the EPA's Radiological Emergency Response Team track down stolen casks of nuclear waste. Sophisticated soil analysis is not normally a deadly occupation, yet before it's all over, Cassie comes face to face with a sociopathic killer and with her own mortality. Notice to criminals: watch out for Cassie! She knows where you've been. Fans of Nevada Barr are going to love this book just as much as I did."
         ~ Marcia Talley, Agatha and Anthony award-winning author of the Hannah Ives mysteries

--- edit... new post merged with original thread. please remember, only one thread per book. please bookmark this thread so you can find it again and please read our Forum Decorum.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 04:46:45 am by Ann in Arlington »

Online ToniD

• California
      • View Profile
      • website
    Re: cast my character and win a free book
    « Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 09:48:31 am »
    I have a post (Can't We Get Angelina Jolie?) and giveaway of my ecothriller BADWATER at:

http://webbweaver-zelda555.blogspot....est-posts.html

If you're interested, please come visit.

Thanks.

Online ToniD

• California
      • View Profile
      • website
    Re: Badwater on Daily Cheap Reads
    « Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 08:16:23 am »

Online ToniD

• California
      • View Profile
      • website
    Re: Michael Wallace reviews Badwater
    « Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 03:16:11 pm »
    bumping...

Offline MonkeyScribe

• View Profile
    Re: Michael Wallace reviews Badwater
    « Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 02:03:21 pm »
    It really is a great book, Toni and I hope you're hard at work on whatever comes next. (And your thread title makes me blush.)

Online ToniD

• California
      • View Profile
      • website
    Re: 99-cent sale on BADWATER
    « Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 10:28:36 am »
    New thread title, Michael, saving you further embarrassment  ;)

Online ToniD

• California
      • View Profile
      • website
    Re: A review that made my day (BADWATER)
    « Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 02:44:27 pm »
    New review for BADWATER:

5.0 out of 5 stars Badwater is Geology at its Best, December 4, 2011
    By
    Marlene Dotterer (Pleasant Hill, CA United States) - See all my reviews
    Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
    This review is from: Badwater: The Forensic Geology Series (Paperback)
    I'm not big on crime investigation stories, but I do have a degree in geology, so I couldn't resist this book. The story brings us a pair of forensic geologists who use soil samples and rock types to solve crimes. In this case, they are on the trail of stolen radioactive waste, through Death Valley, California, one of the most amazing places on the planet.

This is simply one of the best books I've ever read. The characters are strong, realistic, and sympathetic. The lead character is Cassie, and yes, I'm delighted she's a woman. Lots of geologists are women, but geology somehow still has a macho, guy-thing reputation. This story has Cassie tramping through the heat and hills of Death Valley and enduring radiation exposure, while protecting Walter, her older boss and mentor, who is strong, but has a heart problem. Cassie carries the action with a believable blend of ethics, intelligence, and humor.

Geology and radioactivity are explained in seamless narrative or dialogue, never once detracting from the action. This is not a simple thing to pull off, but author Toni Dwiggins makes it look easy. The book is not long, but she layers plot twists and "who-dun-it" mystique throughout, taking the reader on a high-stakes guessing game scattered with scientists, truck drivers, mine owners, and government managers.

Highly recommended.

Offline acellis

• Denver, Colorado
      • View Profile
    Re: A review that made my day (BADWATER)
    « Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 03:02:00 pm »
    Congratulations! Great review!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement