Author Topic: Cole Haan Woven Cover  (Read 2677 times)  

Offline Candace

• View Profile
Cole Haan Woven Cover
« on: April 26, 2009, 08:39:52 am »
After waiting months for the Ruby Sugar Cole Haan Woven Cover for Kindle 2 to come back in stock, I finally gave up and ordered the cover in Dark Brown. That one  had received good reviews (average 4 stars) with such comments as "quality expected of Cole Haan," etc. Since I already have some lovely covers, my expectations were pretty darn high, i.e., this ain't my first rodeo, so when I opened the package from Amazon, my first reaction was one of disappointed dismay. The color was a drab brown, although the leather was smooth and well cut. However, I immediately noticed that there was a strange, uneven bulge on the bottom of the back cover when I opened the covers. (Tentative diagnosis: The leather-covered cardboard had gotten bent or folded.) I thought the bulge was odd but also figured it would smooth out. Then I actually put the Kindle in the cover and started to read. First, it was hard to get the Kindle in the fairly skimpy, too-soft elastic holders. Next came the crucial test, i.e., folding the back cover back, which had been mentioned as requiring patience in the Amazon reviews so I was prepared to be patient. Unfortunately, that's when the bulge on the back cover that I mentioned earlier sprang to life and pulled the bottom left elastic right off the Kindle. I thought maybe it was a fluke, or maybe I had folded the cover back too quickly, so I replaced the elastic and tried again more slowly. After repeated trials and repeated removals of the bottom left elastic from the Kindle, I am sending the $119 Cole Haan Woven Cover back. I'm guessing this one is defective and that not all of them are this way, or else it wouldn't be getting all those enthusiastic reviews. But its looks just don't measure up for me and (minor point) its outer dimensions are slighter larger than the other covers I have. All that said, this cover would be nice for a man (minus the bulge quirk that mine has): it is a quietly understated, elegant design, in a masculine color. The inside is very plush suede, also dark brown, with a little card holder that is innocuous enough but that some reviewers said they removed. It certainly couldn't hold much more than a business card or a guitar pick. Bottom line for me: quality control on this one failed, and it's going back to Amazon.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 10:26:47 pm by Harvey »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline AnelaBelladonna

• Alabama
      • View Profile
    Re: Cole Haan Woven Cover
    « Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 08:54:12 am »
    I am sorry you got a bad one.   :(  I have the exact same cover and mine is beautiful and I love it.

Offline Daisy1960

• Baltimore, Maryland
    • BUNNIES RULE!
      • View Profile
      • Facebook
    « Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 10:21:35 am »
    AnelaBelladonna,

Could you tell me how you think the Cole-Haan leather woven covers compare to the M-Edge leather covers?

Thanks.
    « Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 10:24:03 am by Daisy1960 »
    Susanjane Elizabeth
    Proud parent of "Jennie" (Kindle Oasis 3G/WiFi)

Offline effalicious

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 10:44:05 pm »
    I got the brown woven one also and I totally love mine, this is some quality stuff.

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 12:10:11 am »
    Candace wrote:  "However, I immediately noticed that there was a strange, uneven bulge on the bottom of the back cover when I opened the covers. (Tentative diagnosis: The leather-covered cardboard had gotten bent or folded.)"

Do they use cardboard in these covers?
    New York, NY
    Flutist, Legal Services Professional
    Readers:  Paperwhite 2 (2013), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

Offline Candace

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 07:07:05 am »
    I apologize for taking so long to get back to these replies, but please consider this an addendum to my previous post about the defective Cole Haan cover that I sent back. I re-ordered the new hinge version in Ruby Sugar (the color I originally wanted), and it is absolutely sumptuous. (See my review titled "Sumptuous" on the Amazon product page.) The hinge works great, although it only attaches on the left side of the Kindle so the right side may swing around a bit if you let the Kindle dangle... no fears of it coming loose, however, as the attachment feels very secure. The red patent leather is simply stunning and may actually protect against staining better than a soft absorbent leather, due to the patent finish. The inside is soft, light gray suede, with a red patent leather pocket designed (apparently) to hold a personal card. The pocket does not add bulk. The cover folds back easily and is pleasant to use and hold. The padding seems very adequate to protect the Kindle against reasonable daily use and an occasional light drop. In comparison to the M-edge Platform cover, which I have in red also, the Cole Haan is more stylish and beautiful in my opinion, but the M-edge is equally useful and protective, does have a latch to hold it closed, has the easel configuration so that you can read it with no hands, is also quite attractive, is significantly cheaper, and has the light designed to be carried in the case. (I've actually ordered the new version of that light but have not received it yet.)  As to whether cardboard is inside the leather, I don't know, but it feels like it might be and would explain why the first Cole Haan cover that I got was defective due to what was apparently bending of whatever the material inside was. All in all, as I said in my product review, this cover is definitely expensive, but if you want the most elegant, gorgeous cover available, this Cole Haan Ruby Sugar Kindle cover surely must be IT!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement