Author Topic: Book of the Month Club  (Read 6513 times)  

Offline Geoffrey

• Dallas, Texas
  • Live! Live! Live! Life is a Banquet!
    • View Profile
Book of the Month Club
« on: July 01, 2011, 10:23:04 am »
I have a somewhat outrageous request and I think you all are the funnest place to start.

I am working on ideas to reboot the rest of the Book Klubs and get more people talking about what we're reading.  As part of that, I'm thinking about a Book of the Month Klub.   :)  What I'm envisioning are different members who volunteer to lead a discussion on a different book each month along with 1 or more Klub leaders who will help me plan out how it will work and organize the monthly reads.

So, I have two questions:  

1.  You all have great taste in books.   I want to start with a pre-selected book and Discussion Leader for August and another for September.   So, who would like to select a book - I'm thinking maybe a NYT bestseller or something equally popular - and be our first two Discussion Leaders?

2.  I want some good folk to help be get this going and such .... so, who would like to volunteer as one of the Klub Leaders?

Now, I'm still going to continue to do this Klub - I enjoy it every month.  I just want to open up more avenues for more people to come and play with us ....

« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 10:53:56 am by Geoffrey »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Geoffrey

• Dallas, Texas
      • View Profile
    Re: Book of the Month Club
    « Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 10:54:20 am »
    Did I scare everyone away?    :D

Offline Leslie

• Member 24!
    • Global Moderator
    • Maine, USA
    • Kindle Paperwhite for Dummies available now!
      • View Profile
      • Maine Desk
    « Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 11:42:49 am »
    I'd be interested Geoffrey. I guess I'm just concerned about time. Plus, as you know, I tend to read fast which is one of the reasons I have tended to stay away from book klubs in my life. The horror of taking 4 months to read Great Expectations back in 9th grade has never left me. LOL. I guess if I were going to lead a book klub I'd say, "We're all going to read this book, talk about it for a week and then we're done." But I realize there are many who don't devour books at the same rate I do.

That said, if folks would be interested in a Bob the Book book klub, I'd be willing to give it a go. That book does have a reading guide from the author with questions that I would be interested in discussing.

Leslie Nicoll

Offline KindleGirl

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 04:11:58 pm »
    You didn't scare me away, Geoffrey, as it sounds like a lot of fun!  I'm just not sure how I can help. What does a Klub Leader need to do? I have some time on my hands currently that I'd be willing to use to help out, but not sure what you're looking for. PM me or let me know here and maybe I can help out.

Offline 1131

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 08:44:12 pm »
    I would be interested but I can't do it in the next 2 months.  I've never led a book klub (or club) so I would need to know a little about expectations.

Offline Geoffrey

• Dallas, Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 03:33:39 am »
    imalbs,

No assistance or information - you must go in blind.   ;D

Nah.  most of this is still swirling around my head as ideas - and I sent a batch of them to kindlegirl last night to see if she thinks I"m on to something or insane .... but once a book is selected, I'm envisioning the discussion leader as someone who starts discussions on the books and encourages conversation.  This could be by breaking a book into sections and discussing a specific portion of the book each week or by introducing overall thematic discussions - with maybe a little cat herding to keep people on topic (since here on KB we never wander away from the topic at hand) ...

to a large degree, I think the first few books would be trial and error on our part to see what works.

... and BTW, are you available for a September book? .... or possibly the October book?
    « Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 09:21:25 am by Geoffrey »

Offline fadedrainbows

• Tampa, Florida
      • View Profile
      • Goodreads
    « Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 08:26:02 am »
    Me me me! I would be all for this! :)
    My usual genre: Paranormal Chick Lit Steampunk Historical Romance Fantasy novels

Offline Geoffrey

• Dallas, Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 09:12:05 pm »
    This is good.  :)   I've been chatting with kindlegirl and she's going to be our fearless Klub leader .... we're working out details but I think I'd like to shoot for August to start the first one .... fadedrainbows - would you like to be our first guinea pig discussion leader or do you want Leslie to have the honor?

Offline fadedrainbows

• Tampa, Florida
      • View Profile
      • Goodreads
    « Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 06:20:21 am »
    This is good.  :)   I've been chatting with kindlegirl and she's going to be our fearless Klub leader .... we're working out details but I think I'd like to shoot for August to start the first one .... fadedrainbows - would you like to be our first guinea pig discussion leader or do you want Leslie to have the honor?

August works perfect, I think. I don't have classes until the 22nd, and shouldn't be on vacation more than a week during that month :)

Are we going to vote on a book?
    My usual genre: Paranormal Chick Lit Steampunk Historical Romance Fantasy novels

Offline KindleGirl

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 07:13:10 am »
    August works perfect, I think. I don't have classes until the 22nd, and shouldn't be on vacation more than a week during that month :)

Are we going to vote on a book?

That's great, fadedrainbows!  I think Geoffrey was planning to have you pick a genre, then choose several books in that genre, and then we'll put it to the people for a vote.

Offline fadedrainbows

• Tampa, Florida
      • View Profile
      • Goodreads
    « Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 07:15:18 am »
    That's great, fadedrainbows!  I think Geoffrey was planning to have you pick a genre, then choose several books in that genre, and then we'll put it to the people for a vote.

Oooohhhh. That might be hard. Hmmm. I'll have to think about it...

Offline LauraB

• midwest, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 07:21:24 am »
    I think this sounds like a lot of fun and would be glad to help out  and be a part of it in any way needed.
    Books read in 2010: 43 2011: 42 + the Bible 2012: 60; books read 2013:56*

Offline Geoffrey

• Dallas, Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: July 07, 2011, 07:36:28 am »
    faded (Or do you prefer FR for short? :))   since you have firsties, what if you pick a book you want to discuss and when I announce the klub, I'll announce your book as the first one .... AND since Leslie picked a book, maybe I'll announce August and Sept. books and the first vote will be Oct. ...

Offline fadedrainbows

• Tampa, Florida
      • View Profile
      • Goodreads
    « Reply #13 on: July 07, 2011, 07:40:47 am »
    faded (Or do you prefer FR for short? :))   since you have firsties, what if you pick a book you want to discuss and when I announce the klub, I'll announce your book as the first one .... AND since Leslie picked a book, maybe I'll announce August and Sept. books and the first vote will be Oct. ...

Lol, FR is fine :) And I'll pick. Let me just get thinking of one. Hmmm. I just picked up a book by an author here, and it might work, even if it's YA. I might have to think more.

Offline Geoffrey

• Dallas, Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: July 07, 2011, 08:15:14 am »

Everyone,   My thought or each month is that someone volunteers to be the discussion leader and picks a genre they'd like to do ... and we'll have posted schedule and sign-up plan and all that ... then a month or 2 ahead of time, the discussion leader will nominate 3 (or 4 - but I'm thinking only a few books to keep it simple) and they'll be put to a vote and the winner will be that month's book.   My thought is that it's pretty simple to run and also ensures a most popular book would be the selected one  (assuming of course someone doesn't nominate two atrocious books and the one they really want to do) ....

what do you all think?

Offline fadedrainbows

• Tampa, Florida
      • View Profile
      • Goodreads
    « Reply #15 on: July 07, 2011, 08:15:59 am »

Everyone,   My thought or each month is that someone volunteers to be the discussion leader and picks a genre they'd like to do ... and we'll have posted schedule and sign-up plan and all that ... then a month or 2 ahead of time, the discussion leader will nominate 3 (or 4 - but I'm thinking only a few books to keep it simple) and they'll be put to a vote and the winner will be that month's book.   My thought is that it's pretty simple to run and also ensures a most popular book would be the selected one  (assuming of course someone doesn't nominate two atrocious books and the one they really want to do) ....

what do you all think?

That sounds good to me :)

Offline LauraB

• midwest, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: July 07, 2011, 08:28:40 am »
    I like the idea!

Offline 1131

• View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: July 09, 2011, 08:15:38 pm »
    Sounds like it will be a good club.  Let me know if you want me to do a month.

Offline LauraB

• midwest, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: July 09, 2011, 08:26:18 pm »
    Let me know if you want me to do a month as well.

Offline KindleGirl

• View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: July 10, 2011, 06:58:09 am »
    Let me know if you want me to do a month as well.
    Sounds like it will be a good club.  Let me know if you want me to do a month.

We would love both of you to be discussion leaders! I believe Aug. & Sept. are already spoken for, but let us know what month you want after that and we'll put you on the list.

Offline Geoffrey

• Dallas, Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: July 10, 2011, 03:17:54 pm »
    We have our a home now for the book club ... now we just need to decorate it.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement