Poll

How Long HaveYou Owned Your Kindle?  Would You Buy It Again?

1 year plus and would buy it again
1 year plus and would not buy it again
6 months to 1 year and would buy it again
6 months to 1 year and would not buy it again
3 months to 6 months and would buy it again
3 months to 6 months and would not buy it again
Under 3 months and would  buy it again
Under 3 months and would not buy it again
Still waiting for delivery

Author Topic: Poll: How Long Have You Owned Your Kindle; Would You Buy It Again?  (Read 5357 times)  

Offline Kirstin

• View Profile
Re: Poll: How Long Have You Owned Your Kindle; Would You Buy It Again?
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2008, 06:40:21 am »
7 months and would most definitely buy it again!!  It is officially one of my can't live without it items!

"The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing."  Walt Disney

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline rla1996

• AZ
      • View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: November 18, 2008, 07:03:41 am »
    I can believe it will only be a month on Saturday.  How is that possible?  It seems like I've had my "Ramona" for much longer than that.  I simply can't live without it.  I take her everywhere with me.  The one time I did leave her at home I spent and ETERNITY (15 minutes) at the car wash waiting for my car to get done - an impulse stop- If I had known that I was going, I would have made sure that I had her with me.  As someone who carried a book with her EVERYWHERE she went --sometimes several if the one i was currently reading was getting low on pages-- I love being able to travel light.  I can take Ramona with me and have as many different books as I want.  No more books rolling around in the car waiting to get read, or having been read and not removed yet.  No more stacks of books all over the house in various states of being read.  No more asking my husband if he moved my book only to have to give a physical description of the one that I'm looking for. No more finishing a book in the evening and having do drive half an hour to get to a book store that sells the next in the series.  -Living in a city you'd think that there would be a book store near me.  I could go on and on.    

Would I buy Kindle again?  ABSOLUTLY!!!!  And NO WAY would I give her up now.  

Rla1996

Offline Linda Cannon-Mott

• Assignment #118
      • View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: November 18, 2008, 08:15:41 am »
    I agree, definitely a "can't live without item."

Offline Cowgirl

• Member #291
      • View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: November 18, 2008, 08:24:45 am »
    I've had mine almost a month now and I don't leave home without it!

Offline Xia

• View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: November 18, 2008, 08:36:37 am »
    Angela, Xia -- you touched my heart, too. I lost both parents late last year, my Mom in Sept and my Dad in Dec, and both of them were avid readers. I know it's due to them that my sister and I read as much as we do, and when I got my Kindle I immediately thought of both of them. My Mom was never very computer-literate, but she could easily have managed the Kindle. And it would have helped her get through those chemo sessions, and the after-chemo not-feeling-so-great days.

Sigh. I do miss them, and I wish I could share my Kindle with them.

Khabita, I am so sorry for your loss.  Your post touched my heart, too.  ((((big hugs)))

Offline Suzanne

• N. Huntingdon, PA
    • No. 336
      • View Profile
    « Reply #30 on: November 18, 2008, 09:20:16 am »
    I've had mine for a month now. We ordered one for hubby a few days ago. I would absolutely, positively, without a doubt, in a New York minute order one again!!!!

Offline DKristie1734

• View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: November 18, 2008, 02:24:01 pm »
    I've had my Kindle almost 2 weeks now; I received it as a gift for my bday that was in back in June.  Apparently, I'm hard to shop for!?!  It was well worth the wait though. 

Xia, sorry for your loss.  Losing family is always devastating.  But your parents gave you one of the greatest gifts: the love of reading. 

I'm trying to pass that on to my nephews.  No matter how tired I am, I can't resist reading to them whenever they ask me.  I'd rather them interact w/another person rather than zoning out in front of the TV or playing on the computer.  Not that there's anything wrong w/that (I do it too, obviously) but hopefully they'll have fond memories of me reading to them when they were little and will take care of me when I get OLD.  Just kidding (kinda). 

Offline Dori

• Indiana
    • Dori is #10 x 10
      • View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: November 18, 2008, 04:38:26 pm »
    Keep it up,  it works.  My nephew does everything for me.  I read to his son now and the 8 yr old already borrows my  Kindle.

Offline Vegas_Asian

• Sin City
    • I know KungFu and 50 other dangerous words!!!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33 on: November 18, 2008, 04:40:52 pm »
    i think we have a bias here...considering we love our kindles so much that we spend time on the internet to rave about it.

Offline Angela

• Texas
    • aka: tx_angel, A Wayt, Babe, Mom, Grandma, Hey YOU
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: November 18, 2008, 04:49:25 pm »
    Goodness, just goes to show just how special the love of books and reading is.  You and I are complete strangers and yet we have something so significant in common.  (I love this board!  :) )
    Angela, Xia -- you touched my heart, too. I lost both parents late last year, my Mom in Sept and my Dad in Dec, and both of them were avid readers. I know it's due to them that my sister and I read as much as we do, and when I got my Kindle I immediately thought of both of them. My Mom was never very computer-literate, but she could easily have managed the Kindle. And it would have helped her get through those chemo sessions, and the after-chemo not-feeling-so-great days.

Sigh. I do miss them, and I wish I could share my Kindle with them.

It is cool to see how "not so different" we are from others... that we are not alone in our experiences and passions! Just think... if not for the Kindle and this forum, our paths would have never crossed! cool...huh?

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #35 on: November 18, 2008, 07:27:00 pm »
    I did/do my best to pass the love of reading on to mine, too.  In fact, I'll never forget when my teenage son asked for----- A BOOK ----- for his birthday.  Not a gamething.  Not a fancy podthing or phonething.  Nope.  It was a book, specifically Sartre's La Nausee that he asked for, translated into English (titled Nausea in English).  That just blew me away.

That's the kind of thing that makes my day.  When kids get excited about reading (and I don't mean Manga), all is well with the world. 

Offline Essensia

• View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: November 18, 2008, 08:45:30 pm »
    Have had mine for a month and a half.  I waffled since January about buying it.  Now that I have it, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again at twice the price.  Don't tell Amazon, though.

I have never been so attached to a technothingy.  But I don't even really think of it as a technothingy because the techno part disappears so completely.  All I notice is my rediscovered love of reading.

Offline ozicat

• View Profile
    « Reply #37 on: November 19, 2008, 07:03:50 pm »
    I've had mine about a month and love it. Unfortunately, I have a back log of "regular" books that I bought in anticipation for my retirement this last September. I finished one of them on Sunday and told my husband that reading it was so 20th century! Now I'm back to reading on the Kindle. I'll just have to read my other books in between times when I'm feeling nostalgic.

Offline BFFKindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #38 on: November 20, 2008, 07:00:27 am »
    I was one of the first to purchase a Kindle (actually I think I pre-ordered on 11/17/07 -- thus qualifying for "one year plus")and I don't think I could do without it.  I love it!  It's my favorite thing.  I bought one for my daughter for Christmas and I hope she loves it as much as I do.  Yes, I would definitely buy it again if I need to and again and again and again (but I hope this one last for a long time, of course).
    Also, I'm glad I finally found this Board.  I haven't posted much yet, but I love to read your posts.   :D

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #39 on: September 10, 2020, 04:24:10 am »
    So ... a random spammer used this ancient thread to try to spam the boards and I took care of them But GOOD!

Still, it got me thinking. This thread is from 2008. Now it's 2020.

So, NOW how long have you had a kindle? and would you buy again?

I've had mine since July 2008 and of course I'd buy again ... I've bought several since then. :)

(Sorry -- not going to bother editing the poll, though :D )
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline LDB

• Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #40 on: September 10, 2020, 04:47:27 am »
    I've had my (current) Kindle 1-2 years, not really sure just how long and probably would never buy the same one again as there is always an upgrade available but definitely 100% would buy another Kindle when a newer option catches my eye. I've had A Kindle for a decade at least.
    « Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 05:53:32 am by LDB »
    My Service on the KBoards Yellow Pages
    There's no bad day if you have a good book.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #41 on: September 10, 2020, 05:10:46 am »
    Oh, yes! To clarify. I don't have the SAME kindle since July of 2008 .... I've had several over the years. I think I've had the one I have now for about 2 years, but the one I had before that still works -- it's my back up. And I even have a third one that's a loaner -- so if someone wants to borrow a book, I can loan it to them on the spare kindle. :)
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
      • View Profile
    « Reply #42 on: September 10, 2020, 05:27:53 am »
    I've had one Kindle or another since the first K1 which I considered absolutely magical (it did finally get croaked face down against a cement floor in 2011, but had been used every day since first received in July 2008).

I currently have an Oasis2 with a Voyage for backup, one or the other in use every day.  Mother uses a Voyage every day with an old Basic for backup or loaning books to friends.  MIL uses my old Kindle Keyboard every day.  DH still uses his original PW2 every day as does DS -- so all on the same account a few to many years old.

I've never had to return a Kindle, they're all still happily in use and working well.  I've said it before and will repeat here, they have each been my most prized material possession.  I always have one with me and don't wish to ever be without one.

Online Tip10

• Southern Illinois
      • View Profile
    Poll: How Long Have You Owned Your Kindle; Would You Buy It Again?
    « Reply #43 on: September 10, 2020, 06:20:23 am »
    Got my first Kindle (a K2) early in 2009.
    Got DW her first (also a K2) late that year.
    I went through a couple ending up with a Keyboard and then transitioned to a Fire.
    Sometime along the way switched to an iPad mini and then an iPad and the Kindles sat by the wayside. DW stayed true to her's and is still on a fairly old Paperwhite even though she too has an iPad mini.
    Recently the eye strain of reading on an iPad is really starting to get to me (getting old I guess...LOL...well that and reading much more since retirement several years ago) sooooooo, am now anxiously awaiting delivery of a Paperwhite 10th gen with plans to going back to reading exclusively on the Kindle.

Kinda why I re-appeared on here after a 7 year hiatus. Was active here when it was a primarily reader board. Alas, now it appears to be primarily a writer board although there are several names I recognize from the good old days....

ETA: The original K2 appears to be battery deceased, however, dusting off the old Keyboard I got it to take a charge (albeit it doesnt hold well) and it still works. More than I can say for my original iPad mini (button failure).....
    « Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 06:25:20 am by Tip10 »
    Never Engage in a Battle of Wits With an Unarmed Person.

I don't suffer from Insanity -- I rather enjoy it!

Online Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #44 on: September 10, 2020, 08:56:08 am »
    Had my first Kindle when the K2 became the first one to be made available internationally (2009?). Since then I've had very nearly all the models except the basic Kindles or the PW3 and although I tried the Oasis I really didn't like it and sent it back!

I still have all the Kindles and they all still work to one extent or another. Some have spent a few years giving service elsewhere before being returned to me for retirement.

I bought the PW4 because I wanted the latest model (not including the dreadful Oasis) and made a point to use it as my primary device but I find I'm using it less and less as time goes by - it may just be my specific unit, but I find the screen contrast very wishy-washy compared to other models, even with the text boldness on full.

My absolute favourite is the Voyage and I would buy that again and again and I'm really disappointed that it's the one Amazon have abandoned.  :( I use it almost to the exclusion of all the other models I have. Don't know what I'm going to do when it finally goes off to the great Kindle Store In The Sky.  :'( :'(
    Linda

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #45 on: September 11, 2020, 04:27:23 am »
    Got my first Kindle (a K2) early in 2009.
    Got DW her first (also a K2) late that year.
    I went through a couple ending up with a Keyboard and then transitioned to a Fire.
    Sometime along the way switched to an iPad mini and then an iPad and the Kindles sat by the wayside. DW stayed true to her's and is still on a fairly old Paperwhite even though she too has an iPad mini.
    Recently the eye strain of reading on an iPad is really starting to get to me (getting old I guess...LOL...well that and reading much more since retirement several years ago) sooooooo, am now anxiously awaiting delivery of a Paperwhite 10th gen with plans to going back to reading exclusively on the Kindle.

Kinda why I re-appeared on here after a 7 year hiatus. Was active here when it was a primarily reader board. Alas, now it appears to be primarily a writer board although there are several names I recognize from the good old days....

ETA: The original K2 appears to be battery deceased, however, dusting off the old Keyboard I got it to take a charge (albeit it doesnt hold well) and it still works. More than I can say for my original iPad mini (button failure).....

Welcome back, Tip10 .... yeah ... I guess all the readers are busy reading so just don't post here as much. Such is the way with forums: the people come and go. Though we do get a small flurry of activity when there's a new device, and there are several threads in the Book Corner that maintain a moderate level of activity. I've bookmarked the ones I like to pay attention to. :) Meanwhile, the writers are writing, but do spend a lot of time posting here as well.

There was a turnover mostly because Harvey died a few years ago. His wife and girls kept it up for a couple of years, but it was really his baby, so when they had an opportunity to sell it, they did. Sadly, the new owners are pretty much absentee.
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #46 on: September 11, 2020, 04:36:10 am »
    My absolute favourite is the Voyage and I would buy that again and again and I'm really disappointed that it's the one Amazon have abandoned.  :( I use it almost to the exclusion of all the other models I have. Don't know what I'm going to do when it finally goes off to the great Kindle Store In The Sky.  :'( :'(

I think we've had this discussion before, but have you tried the newest PW? It's pretty darn close to the Voyage, I'd say. Though I'd agree with you that the Voyage is the best device they've made. Ergonomically, especially -- power button placement. In or out of a case or cover it's very nice to hold.

My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Online Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
    • Erm .....
      • View Profile
    « Reply #47 on: September 12, 2020, 09:56:15 am »
    I think we've had this discussion before, but have you tried the newest PW? It's pretty darn close to the Voyage, I'd say. Though I'd agree with you that the Voyage is the best device they've made. Ergonomically, especially -- power button placement. In or out of a case or cover it's very nice to hold.
    Yes, as I said, I do have the PW4 (or the PW 10th gen as Amazon call it) and for me it's not as good as my Voyage.

It's not just that it's slightly larger and heavier and the power button isn't as well placed - those things are relatively minor and I can live with them. The thing that stops me using it most is the contrast of the display. As we all know, these things can vary from unit to unit even with the same model and we all perceive these things differently anyway. But for ME with MY devices, the text on the PW just isn't as crisp as the Voyage and I find myself constantly fiddling with the settings or cleaning my glasses in an effort to rectify it! In the end it's easier just to read on the Voyage.

My hope going forward is that a newer model will not have the same problem.

Incidentally, I don't know if they've changed what they make the screens from over the years and that that's what makes the difference, but to my mind, they've never bettered the Kindle Touch for basic crispness of text. For a direct comparison with the newer models, take the back light off and take away the text boldening and even the Voyage isn't as good. (At least in my opinion of course 8)). But with those newer features, for me, the Voyage reigns supreme!  :o ;D
    Linda

Offline geezergas

• View Profile
    « Reply #48 on: September 12, 2020, 12:50:50 pm »
    DX for > 10 years. > 1500 books, been around the world on planes, boats, vans, on the beach every morning.  Won't leave home without it. Am thinking about updating but love the size.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #49 on: September 13, 2020, 04:30:54 am »
    Yes, as I said, I do have the PW4 (or the PW 10th gen as Amazon call it) and for me it's not as good as my Voyage.

It's not just that it's slightly larger and heavier and the power button isn't as well placed - those things are relatively minor and I can live with them. The thing that stops me using it most is the contrast of the display. As we all know, these things can vary from unit to unit even with the same model and we all perceive these things differently anyway. But for ME with MY devices, the text on the PW just isn't as crisp as the Voyage and I find myself constantly fiddling with the settings or cleaning my glasses in an effort to rectify it! In the end it's easier just to read on the Voyage.

My hope going forward is that a newer model will not have the same problem.

Incidentally, I don't know if they've changed what they make the screens from over the years and that that's what makes the difference, but to my mind, they've never bettered the Kindle Touch for basic crispness of text. For a direct comparison with the newer models, take the back light off and take away the text boldening and even the Voyage isn't as good. (At least in my opinion of course 8)). But with those newer features, for me, the Voyage reigns supreme!  :o ;D

Ah yes!

I never had the Touch, so can't compare. I don't see a lot of difference on my Voyage and PW10 screens. In fact I did the unthinkable and accidentally left my PW10 -- which and been my main go to/carry everywhere kindle -- in the seat pocket of our friends' van*. We'd taken a short trip to my brother's cottage on a bay of Lake Ontario and it got left int he hurry to unload us so they could head home. So last night I was reading on my Voyage. Funnily enough, what struck me is that it felt heavier? Might be down to the difference in cover. I may stick with it for a while before switching back to see if I notice anything else. :)

DX for > 10 years. > 1500 books, been around the world on planes, boats, vans, on the beach every morning.  Won't leave home without it. Am thinking about updating but love the size.

My brother loved the DX but his finally died. :( He replaced it with a basic kindle, which he likes, but he REALLY liked the size of the DX. He thought about the Oasis, but wasn't ready to spend the bucks at the time he needed to replace it.

*not to worry -- I'll get it back from them later today. :D
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement