Author Topic: BotM Structure and Guidelines discussion  (Read 4567 times)  

Offline Geoffrey

• Dallas, Texas
  • Live! Live! Live! Life is a Banquet!
    • View Profile
BotM Structure and Guidelines discussion
« on: July 11, 2011, 04:45:23 pm »
Kindlegirl and I have been talking about how we think this klub should run and have come up with some basic ideas that we want opinions on and discussion around to make sure were on the right track.  I threw in some comments and questions, but please jump in and share all your thoughts with us.

To start, each month we will have a different discussion leader and everyone interested will volunteer for a month.  Im thinking well have a stickied schedule to show whats coming and then a different stickied thread to volunteer and stuff so as not to junk up the official schedule

Then here are the rest of our thoughts:

Discussion Leaders
1.  Sign up to get on the schedule as a discussion leader by selecting a specific month and give a genre youd like to select from (Fantasy, chick-lit, contemporary fiction, historical fiction, etc. )
2.  2 months before your turn, youll send a list of 3 nominations
3.  There will be a general vote to select your book from those three. 
4.  Voting and book discussion will take a week then you then have time to prepare your discussion topics. 
4.  Plan your discussion topics out to spread them out over the course of the month.   [Important point of discussion:  do we want to have a book broken into sections and discussed throughout the month?  Or do we want to have different discussion points put up with spoiler and non-spoiler threads?  Or does the discussion leader decide?  Or do something else altogether?]
5. Thread titles will start with the Month and Book Title.  (something like August 2011-Water for Elephants Why are There so many elephants in this book?)
6.  Of course, have fun with this .

General Rules
1.  Nominated books need to be ebooks (or is that too obvious) but can be from sites other than Amazon.
2.  KB authors may, of course, be discussion leaders but they may not nominate their own books.
3.  No erotica (or is it no sex altogether?  Im not opposed to a little sex in a book but do we need a specified limit or are warnings enough?)
(Im sure there are more . But thats what I got)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Geoffrey

• Dallas, Texas
      • View Profile
    Re: BotM Structure and Guidelines discussion
    « Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 04:57:33 pm »
    Ann sent me a message and I have to admit I completely forgot to think about this topic at all:  Price.

Was just looking at your guidelines. . . .do you want to put any price limit?  Or at least some comment that the cost of the book is not something that should be part of the analysis. . . .I just know it's a factor that some people rate pretty highly.  Maybe all that's needed is to make sure that, of the books chosen, some are in the 'more affordable' category.

OTOH, the author led clubs will all feature lower priced books. . . . maybe the BotM SHOULD lean toward more 'mainstream' titles.

I don't really know. . .it's just something that occurred to me so I thought I'd mention it for your consideration. :)

Ann

In the Quasi-Official Book Game, we have a $9.99 limit (which is kinda of a soft limit as some have gone over it ....).  Do we want something similar here?  Or, do we want to just go with it and not set a hard limit?   Or do something else?

Offline telracs

• NYC
    • peace, love, justice.... and chocolate.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 05:02:03 pm »
    and remember, if you want to talk in real-time, you can use the book klub room in chat...

Offline Margaret

• Bensalem, PA
      • View Profile
      • Mrs. Ryan - Library
    « Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 05:16:54 am »
    I am not too sure how often I will be taking part in this Club, especially during the school year, but I am going to put my opinion in anyway.  I think that coming up with specific points of discussion may work better than dividing the books up into sections, because people tend to read at different speeds.  If I really like a book I tend to read it really quickly.  It would be difficult for me to stop at 60 pages a week or whatever. Then if I had finished the entire book, I could discuss a particular topic more easily than I could talk about a certain number of pages without revealing what happened further into the story.  I also think that this method would work for the people who tend to take their time or have something come up which limits their reading time, because they would not have the pressure to read X number of pages, but could comment on a topic as they got to it.
    I also like Scarlet's idea of using the chat room to talk about the book in real time.
    Six kids, five grandchildren, and I am still in elementary school.

Offline hsuthard

• Honolulu, HI
      • View Profile
      • Suthard, Party of Five
    « Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 12:46:30 am »
    If we're considering NYT Bestseller type books, I think the price limit needs to be higher. Too many books are introduced at $12.99 or higher, and those are the types of books I'll be wanting to read.
    -- Holly.

The more we live, the more beautiful we are.

Offline hsuthard

• Honolulu, HI
      • View Profile
      • Suthard, Party of Five
    « Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 12:53:32 am »
    Hmmm, I just re-read the guidelines and saw that it'll be a genre-based selection. I was excited about the Bestseller type. There are some genres I just won't be interested in, but books that are getting lots of attention in the media do interest me. Especially books that are being read by lots of other people that I can discuss with.
    -- Holly.

Offline Geoffrey

• Dallas, Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 02:51:03 am »
    If we're considering NYT Bestseller type books, I think the price limit needs to be higher. Too many books are introduced at $12.99 or higher, and those are the types of books I'll be wanting to read.

We don't have to have a top price - or we can set it where we want.  I'm open to not setting a price limit at all and letting the participants decide if a book is too expensive. 

Hmmm, I just re-read the guidelines and saw that it'll be a genre-based selection. I was excited about the Bestseller type. There are some genres I just won't be interested in, but books that are getting lots of attention in the media do interest me. Especially books that are being read by lots of other people that I can discuss with.

I was thinking that with a listed genre, we can all decide which months we do and do not wish to participate .... I know there are some Bestsellers I'm completely uninterested in.   The idea of a genre and a selection of books I took from how we select books in my Goodreads SciFi and Fantasy group.  AND, I do get your desire to read current best sellers.   

What if we say you pick a genre and then when you nominate your books, at least one has to be on a bestseller list- NYT, Amazon's Top 100 or top 25 in that genre, some other, recognized, best seller list ... I'm thinking we can't just go with Betsy the Quilter's top 10 Horror Novels (although now I'm curious what that list would be) .... OR we could say that at least one of the books has to have been published in the last year - or 2 years.  OR we could count books nominated for awards (again, probably not the NogDog Prize for Historical Romances) ...

What do you think?   I personally like ensuring we're reading something with broad appeal and I also like the thought of bringing in some classics or undiscovered treasures as well.

Offline Geemont

• Pacific Northwest
    • Bookaholic
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 10:04:58 am »
    Im not always so happy with the voting thing.  At the Goodreads club, the voting seems to come up with hit or miss selections.  (Also, more people seem to vote for a book than actually read it.)

In any case, Im thinking of volunteering for a book.  Ive got two ideas that could be good discussions: but one is a 928 page novel to be published in October and the other is science based non-fiction.  Im not sure thered be much support.

Offline hsuthard

• Honolulu, HI
      • View Profile
      • Suthard, Party of Five
    « Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 12:28:37 pm »
    I like reading your thoughts, Geoffrey. I want to participate, and I look forward to the discussions. Everyone's reading tastes are so diverse and varied, I just want to look forward to the book most of the time, allowing for the occasional fantasy or western that might not hold any appeal. I dont think we need a price limit if we don't have to have one.

I think that a book's broader appeal should have some bearing on it's selection, whether that's by a recognized list, or award, or however.
    -- Holly.

Offline Geoffrey

• Dallas, Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 12:42:52 pm »
    What if someone volunteers for a month with a specific book (or books) in Mind and our Klub Leader, the vivacious kindlegirl, has veto power if she thinks its too obscure or overly dirty or fringey or whatever?

That way, we all have fun reading and talking ... and it all works because she gets the blame when things go wrong we can trust her to make fantastic decisions.   ;D   

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not really a moderator. :)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 01:43:32 pm »
    I wouldn't give anyone veto power...as long as the selector realizes that it's possible no one will want to read/participate.  So if the book is somewhat obscure, it's up to he person who picked it to get across why people should give it a try.
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline KindleGirl

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: July 20, 2011, 07:16:27 am »
    That way, we all have fun reading and talking ... and it all works because she gets the blame when things go wrong we can trust her to make fantastic decisions.   ;D   

Thanks, Geoffrey!!  ;D

I don't need to have veto power, but I don't think it would be a good idea to pick an obscure book. I think it will be hard convincing enough people to want to read it AND spend money on something they are not sure about, especially if the price is not a bargain price. I think more well-known books would make better selections. That could include indie authors as well...there have been a lot of KB authors that have received lots of buzz about their books. As said above by others, I think a book with broad appeal would work out better.

Offline Geoffrey

• Dallas, Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 11:05:59 am »
    so if we ditch the selections and voting, we have something more like this:

Discussion Leaders
    1.  Sign up to get on the schedule as a discussion leader.
    2.  Depending upon when youre scheduled, you dont have to pick a book right away.  But you will need to decide upon a title 2 months before your scheduled month.
    3.  If you dont know your title yet, when possible narrow down to a genre ahead of time so everyone knows what youre thinking .
    4.  Plan your discussion topics out to spread them out over the course of the month./
    5. Thread titles will start with the Month and Book Title.  (something like August 2011-Water for Elephants Why are There so many elephants in this book?)
    6.  Of course, have fun with this .

Book Selections
    1.  Nominated books need to be ebooks (or is that too obvious) but can be from sites other than Amazon.
    2.  KB authors may, of course, be discussion leaders but they may not nominate their own books.
    3.  No erotica (or is it no sex altogether?  Im not opposed to a little sex in a book but do we need a specified limit or are warnings enough?)
    4.  Book should have broad appeal for example a best seller, a classic, an award winner, etc.

Offline Geemont

• Pacific Northwest
    • Bookaholic
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 11:34:31 am »
    Alright, Ill volunteer for an upcoming month.

Ive got a few prospects in mind.

1.   Paranormality: Why we see what isn't there by Richard Wiseman.
    2.   IQ84 by Haruki Murakami. NYP (October)
    3.   The Satanic Verses by Salmon Rushdie.

Im leaning towards No. 1.  That's of stuff on discuss and things to experiment with.

BTW, Geoff, I think you should go back to the Zombie Spock.  That's been my favorite of the new avatars.

Offline Geoffrey

• Dallas, Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 04:49:29 pm »

BTW, Geoff, I think you should go back to the Zombie Spock.  That's been my favorite of the new avatars.

There are more Spocks to come - about 37 more at last count.  Here are few samples of what's to come:

Offline fadedrainbows

• Tampa, Florida
      • View Profile
      • Goodreads
    « Reply #15 on: July 22, 2011, 05:37:16 pm »
    Spock in the pink wig reminds me of Alan Rickman as Snape for some odd reason!

And I like the suggestions so far, I actually followed them. The book I chose is pretty popular as far as zombie books go, and I've been dying to read it. I have a few suggestions for what my idea topics will be, but I might create more once I read the book :)
    My usual genre: Paranormal Chick Lit Steampunk Historical Romance Fantasy novels

Offline 1131

• View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: July 24, 2011, 07:09:11 pm »
    I'm liking the Spork Spock cus I like the way it sounds. 
    So now I have to pick an actually book.  Decision making is not my strong suit.  Once a pick a book, don't let me change it.

Offline Geoffrey

• Dallas, Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: August 11, 2011, 05:51:22 am »
    The first selection seems to be going well - and fadedrainbows picked it directly instead of us voting.   And I think some would prefer to a group consensus over the book they're going to lead .... What if we let the discussion leader decide?   They can either select a book straight out or offer a selection of books for us to vote on.

So then about 2months ahead of time they'll make their choice ... that still gives us plenty of time to plan ahead to pick up the book for that month (or not as the case may be) ..... and everyone can do it the way they're most comfortable ....

Easy. Breezy.  Readable.  Book Klub.

:D

Offline KindleGirl

• View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: August 12, 2011, 12:37:25 pm »
    I think that is a great idea, Geoffrey. Some leaders have a specific book in mind that they really want to read and discuss, while others may feel more comfortable giving a few choices and having the people vote on the book. Seems like a win/win situation.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Offline fadedrainbows

• Tampa, Florida
      • View Profile
      • Goodreads
    « Reply #19 on: August 12, 2011, 04:58:06 pm »
    I like this. It leaves it more open. And this way, lesser known but still good books could get read even if they would not be voted for.
    My usual genre: Paranormal Chick Lit Steampunk Historical Romance Fantasy novels

KBoards.com

• Advertisement