Author Topic: Mini review: Octovo sleeve & Decal Girl custom skin combo  (Read 4510 times)  

Offline Abouna

• View Profile
Mini review: Octovo sleeve & Decal Girl custom skin combo
« on: May 05, 2009, 08:55:41 pm »
OK, I finally received my custom DG skin today.  First the Octovo sleeve though.

I was a bit apprehensive about the Octovo sleeve based on initial review by VictoriaP.  My biggest concern was the tight fit she reported coupled with the Decal Girl skin.  The sleeve arrived about a week ago so I've been using it sans the skin for the first week.  As I suspected, it is a bit tight but exactly what I hoped for; a stiff, light and slim protector.  Nicely made faux leather and does just what it should.  Though the fit was tight I was hoping it would still work with the custom skin.

Well the skins arrived today.  I picked the Georgian and was thoroughly happy with the design.  The original comes in blue monochrome only but I was pretty sure I wanted B*W monochrome.  To be on the safe side I ordered both the blue and the custom B&W.  Again, as I suspected, I prefer the B&W, so the blue is going on the FS board.  I'll admit though it was a tougher choice than I anticipated as I'm quite fond of blue and this skin is very nice looking in either color.

Finally, I applied the skin (easy as pie) and tried it with the Ovtovo.  Guess what?  Yes, it is an even tighter fit now!  I was fairly disappointed and getting ready to have to give up the sleeve.  After playing with the set-up for a while I had an epiphany, the sleeve works like a dream if you slightly squeeze the sides, easy in, easy out!  This is really a revelation, not only does it make the Octovo/Decal Girl combo a winner, it makes the skinless K2 move in and out more easily.  I suspect that VictoriaP didn't stumble on this discovery or her review might have been more favorable (give it another try Victoria!).

Anyway, I'm extremely happy with this combo.

>> DecalGirl link

>> Octovo sleeve - Amazon page
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 08:02:25 am by Abouna »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline KBoards Admin

• Administrator
    • Bellingham WA
    • Love all, moderate all.
      • View Profile
      • KBoards
    Re: Mini review: Octovo sleeve & Decal Girl custom skin
    « Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 08:59:12 pm »
    Thanks for the review! Nice combo, Abouna. And, good tip on the Octovo sleeve.
    Flint and Flame: 15%

Authors: set up your own work-in-progress bar with our Author Sig tool.

Offline Abouna

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 09:03:07 pm »
    Thanks for the review! Nice combo, Abouna. And, good tip on the Octovo sleeve.

Thanks Harvey. 
    « Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 09:08:28 pm by Harvey »

Offline Lcky24

• Massachusetts
    • Happiness is something you MAKE happen! :)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 09:18:23 pm »
    Love the skin, classic and beautiful!
    ★Amy

Offline Xina

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 06:51:23 am »
    OMG, I LOVE the b&w Georgian skin. Good call on requesting it in b&w!!! Congrats on a very elegant & lightweight solution to protecting your kindle  :)

Offline Abouna

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 07:15:45 am »
    Love the skin, classic and beautiful!
    Thanks.  Exactly what I was going for.  I specifically chose B&W to cut down on potential distraction.  This is my 5th or 6th DG skin for various devices, very well made.

OMG, I LOVE the b&w Georgian skin. Good call on requesting it in b&w!!! Congrats on a very elegant & lightweight solution to protecting your kindle  :)
    You would think that since it's been made once now they might add it to the library.  I'm loving this combo.  I'm not much for covers (kind of ruins the lightweight/slim form factor for me) so this is just right.

Offline MarthaT

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 07:57:43 am »
    Those look wonderful together

Offline VictoriaP

• Rainy, dreary, gray Puget Sound
    • ^ ...wish I was back here...
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 11:25:28 am »
    OK, I finally received my custom DG skin today.  First the Octovo sleeve though.

I was a bit apprehensive about the Octovo sleeve based on initial review by VictoriaP.  My biggest concern was the tight fit she reported coupled with the Decal Girl skin.  The sleeve arrived about a week ago so I've been using it sans the skin for the first week.  As I suspected, it is a bit tight but exactly what I hoped for; a stiff, light and slim protector.  Nicely made faux leather and does just what it should.  Though the fit was tight I was hoping it would still work with the custom skin.

Well the skins arrived today.  I picked the Georgian and was thoroughly happy with the design.  The original comes in blue monochrome only but I was pretty sure I wanted B*W monochrome.  To be on the safe side I ordered both the blue and the custom B&W.  Again, as I suspected, I prefer the B&W, so the blue is going on the FS board.  I'll admit though it was a tougher choice than I anticipated as I'm quite fond of blue and this skin is very nice looking in either color.

Finally, I applied the skin (easy as pie) and tried it with the Ovtovo.  Guess what?  Yes, it is an even tighter fit now!  I was fairly disappointed and getting ready to have to give up the sleeve.  After playing with the set-up for a while I had an epiphany, the sleeve works like a dream if you slightly squeeze the sides, easy in, easy out!  This is really a revelation, not only does it make the Octovo/Decal Girl combo a winner, it makes the skinless K2 move in and out more easily.  I suspect that VictoriaP didn't stumble on this discovery or her review might have been more favorable (give it another try Victoria!).

Beautiful combo--I'm really glad it worked for you, and it looks fantastic! :D

I did indeed find that it was marginally easier to remove the K2 the way you suggest while I still had the Octovo; unfortunately for a person dealing with a debilitating illness, it didn't make it easy enough to be practical.  I still strongly suspect that if we were able to put yours & mine side by side, we'd find a lot more difficulty in removing a K2 with or without decals from the one I was sent.  It was THAT tight. 

Please, if you haven't already, copy this post over to the review section.  I know it's always helpful to me to see more than one review of any product!
    "If you will practice being fictional for a while, you will understand that fictional characters are sometimes more real than people with bodies and heartbeats." -- Richard Bach, "Illusions"

Offline Abouna

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 11:40:26 am »
    Beautiful combo--I'm really glad it worked for you, and it looks fantastic! :D

I did indeed find that it was marginally easier to remove the K2 the way you suggest while I still had the Octovo; unfortunately for a person dealing with a debilitating illness, it didn't make it easy enough to be practical.  I still strongly suspect that if we were able to put yours & mine side by side, we'd find a lot more difficulty in removing a K2 with or without decals from the one I was sent.  It was THAT tight. 

Please, if you haven't already, copy this post over to the review section.  I know it's always helpful to me to see more than one review of any product!

Victoria,

I have no doubt you are right on, there is certainly going to be some manufacturing variances.  I'm sorry it didn't work out for you.  On the other hand, I found the Eee PC sleeves at Target fit perfect as an alternative.

I did in fact copy this over to the review section but it was removed by Harvey for some reason.  Not sure why but I wish it was there also.  I know I find reviews invaluable.

Offline Kind

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 02:14:10 pm »
    That skin looks/goes really well with the K2! Very classy looking!  ;D ;D

Kindleholic - Addicted since Summer 2008.
    Original Kindle x 2  Woot Woot

Offline DD

• Member #484
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 09:40:59 pm »
    Very nice combo, Abouna.  I think that 'squeeze' thing you mentioned is probably a design feature to keep the Kindle from slipping out of the case easily.  Pretty ingenious, actually.
    Kindles I have owned or now own:
    K1, K2, KK, DX, Touch, FireHD, PW2, Voyage, Oasis8th gen, Oasis9th gen, PW10th gen, Oasis10th gen

Offline Abouna

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 08:01:15 am »
    Very nice combo, Abouna.  I think that 'squeeze' thing you mentioned is probably a design feature to keep the Kindle from slipping out of the case easily.  Pretty ingenious, actually.

Yeah, I agree.  I'm loving not only this combo but the sleeve is really unbeatable.  I'd like to see more makers coming out with sleeves in fact.  I'm surprised there are so few (actually this is the only one I can find).

I really don't see the appeal of a cover.  For me the beauty of the Kindle is the size and slimness.  Bulking it up with a leather cover, etc just puts it back in the full size book realm.  Obviously some people like covers but I don't think I'm one of them.  I like being bale to pull the kindle out and use it as is, then slip it into the sleeve for toss around protection.

Offline intinst

• Shannon Hills, AR
    • 'just enough clouds to create a beautiful sunset
      • View Profile
    Re: Mini review: Octovo sleeve & Decal Girl custom skin combo
    « Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 09:10:18 am »
    That is why there is a saying, to each his own, I like a cover, and am glad that you have a way to enjoy your Kindle as well!
    A great many people now reading and writing would be better employed keeping rabbits.  Edith Sitwell 
    Your work is to keep cranking the flywheel that turns the gears that spin the belt in the
    engine of belief that keeps you and your desk in midair. Annie Dillard

Located just outside Little Rock, Arkansas

Offline TheAutomaton

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: May 20, 2009, 11:45:01 am »
    Great review and I'm glad that you discovered the squeezing trick because up to that point in your review I was thinking, "What are you talking about? It's a perfect fit if you just squeeze the sides slightly when you put the Kindle in." Haha.
    I don't have to squeeze them to get it out of the case; it slides out easily, but I squeeze it a little to get the Kindle in. Mostly because I'm weird and don't like the buttons being pushed as it's going in. But my Octovo case and DG skin combo work beautifully. I couldn't be more happy.

Offline Abouna

• View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: May 20, 2009, 12:11:14 pm »
    Thanks!

In fact every time I use this combo I'm extremely pleased wit it.  It really couldn't get much better.  Now if someone made a semi-gloss rubberized skin I'd be in heaven.  Might work very well with the sleeve though.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement