Author Topic: FEED: Characters  (Read 4277 times)  

Offline fadedrainbows

• Tampa, Florida
    • View Profile
    • Goodreads
FEED: Characters
« on: August 01, 2011, 06:04:28 am »
Do you guys have a character you hate/love/love-to-hate?

I find all three of the main characters to be endearing so far and their personalities to be interesting. I love how the blonde girl is named Buffy, after Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

*****PS- If you guys share a spoiler, please be sure to use the spoiler tag up above! Thanks so much! -Meagan*****
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 06:07:12 am by fadedrainbows »
My usual genre: Paranormal Chick Lit Steampunk Historical Romance Fantasy novels

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Geemont

• Pacific Northwest
    • Bookaholic
      • View Profile
    Re: FEED: Characters
    « Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 11:00:32 pm »
    I don't have to like the characters, but they have to be interesting.  So far, at 12%, I'm liking the world, but have this muh feeling towards Georgia and Shaun.  The mother is a hoot, though, easily trumping the main characters. 

Now Buffy I dislike.  Not that I have anything against smart, talented, pretty blondes, but I take umbrage against the author naming the character after a TV show I've never seen and assuming the reader will automatically get a positive warm fuzzy from the association.  Since I'm basically clueless about the show, I'm clueless about the character.  I 'm hoping the zombies will eat her alive before the end of novel.

Offline Geoffrey

• Dallas, Texas
    • Live! Live! Live! Life is a Banquet!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 04:28:57 am »
    I don't have to like the characters, but they have to be interesting.  So far, at 12%, I'm liking the world, but have this muh feeling towards Georgia and Shaun.  The mother is a hoot, though, easily trumping the main characters. 

Now Buffy I dislike.  Not that I have anything against smart, talented, pretty blondes, but I take umbrage against the author naming the character after a TV show I've never seen and assuming the reader will automatically get a positive warm fuzzy from the association.  Since I'm basically clueless about the show, I'm clueless about the character.  I 'm hoping the zombies will eat her alive before the end of novel.

Is she named after that Buffy?   I missed that part, but then I've had friends over the years with that nickname so it really didn't register as an odd name.

Offline fadedrainbows

• Tampa, Florida
      • View Profile
      • Goodreads
    « Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 05:44:31 am »
    She took that nickname as an homage to the POP culture reference. Neither Shaun or George understood. When you first meet her she says something about "Pre-Rising TV shows" and their lack of knowledge of it.

So she isn't really naked after her because it's very self aware.
    My usual genre: Paranormal Chick Lit Steampunk Historical Romance Fantasy novels

Offline Basilius

• Hillsboro, OR
      • View Profile
      • Contact Information
    « Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 08:21:40 am »
    So she isn't really naked after her because it's very self aware.

That's a Freudian slip on about 17 different levels.

Offline fadedrainbows

• Tampa, Florida
      • View Profile
      • Goodreads
    « Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 08:31:46 am »
    That's a Freudian slip on about 17 different levels.

That's what I get for responding from my phone, after just waking up. Lol. :)

Offline Geemont

• Pacific Northwest
    • Bookaholic
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 10:19:09 am »
    The character is only self-aware in the fictional world, but the author deliberately had the character choose to name herself after the TV, so its really all Grants fault.  She wants her readers to relate her Buffy to the TV Buffy for whatever purposes.  Still lazy writing, IMHO.  And Ill revise anticipation for this character: may she be naked when she gets eaten by zombies.

Offline fadedrainbows

• Tampa, Florida
      • View Profile
      • Goodreads
    « Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 01:05:05 pm »
    After what happened to Buffy, I found myself really liking her and understanding her more.

I loved George as a narrator, I really liked her as a character as well.

On another note, did anyone else find Shaun and George's relationship to be a little odd? To me, it bordered on almost incestual. I know it was supposed to be really close, but I think Grant could have done a better job of making it seem really close yet platonic.

Offline Geemont

• Pacific Northwest
    • Bookaholic
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 02:22:03 pm »
    I'm at 62% and feeling smug. 

As for George and Shaun, there're not blood siblings and I sense, especially since both eschew relationships, that they have non-platonic yearnings for each other. But I doubt the author would go that far.  Or let George admit it even if true.

I've also guessing on the main villain at the 40% mark.

Offline Geoffrey

• Dallas, Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 05:22:06 am »
    As for George and Shaun, there're not blood siblings and I sense, especially since both eschew relationships, that they have non-platonic yearnings for each other. But I doubt the author would go that far.  Or let George admit it even if true.

That is explored more fully in the second book and their relationship is much more complicated than simply incest .... I did wonder the same thing though as their reasons for not dating and such aren't explored in this first book at all ....

Offline fadedrainbows

• Tampa, Florida
      • View Profile
      • Goodreads
    « Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 06:59:28 am »
    That is explored more fully in the second book and their relationship is much more complicated than simply incest .... I did wonder the same thing though as their reasons for not dating and such aren't explored in this first book at all ....

You just want me to read the second book, don't you?  ;) Haha

Offline Geoffrey

• Dallas, Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: August 07, 2011, 08:13:21 am »
    You just want me to read the second book, don't you?  ;) Haha

There are more zombies in the second book, too ....

Offline fadedrainbows

• Tampa, Florida
      • View Profile
      • Goodreads
    « Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 08:15:34 am »
    I get paid next Friday :) Definitely buying it then. And I might copy your method of book buying.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement