Author Topic: FEED: Political Overtones? *SPOILERS*  (Read 2144 times)  

Offline fadedrainbows

• Tampa, Florida
    • View Profile
    • Goodreads
FEED: Political Overtones? *SPOILERS*
« on: August 02, 2011, 08:35:55 am »
As I read more into this book, I can't help but notice a lot of the political overtones. The idea of the media as being so unreliable that people have turned to bloggers for their news. The whole idea of a presidential campaign bringing bloggers along to video and share the news and footage.

I think it says a lot about the way that our society is viewed today.

I also love how Senator Ryman is a Republican and some of the comments made about Republicans, you can tell Mira Grant is more than likely a Democrat.  ;D

What do you think of blogging becoming the major news source? What do you think of the way politics are portrayed in this book so far?
My usual genre: Paranormal Chick Lit Steampunk Historical Romance Fantasy novels

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Geoffrey

• Dallas, Texas
    • Live! Live! Live! Life is a Banquet!
      • View Profile
    Re: FEED: Political Overtones? *SPOILERS*
    « Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 10:23:32 am »
    I'm at 75% and I figured about who the political badguy was around 48% ..... it appears I'm right .....

I love that the Republican nominee in this case is so far to Left of today's Democrats that he and I share some political opinions.  Its a bit like the message in the Movie Independence Day - nothing like the threat of extinction to make everyone's differences seem unimportant.

Offline Basilius

• Hillsboro, OR
      • View Profile
      • Contact Information
    « Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 08:43:18 am »
    I'm at 75% and I figured about who the political badguy was around 48% ..... it appears I'm right .....

I love that the Republican nominee in this case is so far to Left of today's Democrats that he and I share some political opinions.  Its a bit like the message in the Movie Independence Day - nothing like the threat of extinction to make everyone's differences seem unimportant.

I don't think it was much of a surprise about Tate. The surprise is more the why, what, and how.

I think the political situation is a reasonable extrapolation of what could happen after the rising. You're certainly going to get a strong contingent of far-right-wing protectionists/isolationists. And the culture of fear is one that's already promoted rather heavily right now.

Of course, we're in a conservative cycle right now, so moving that far right doesn't seem like a reach. If we were currently in a different phase, it might seem a little more unlikely.

Offline fadedrainbows

• Tampa, Florida
      • View Profile
      • Goodreads
    « Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 01:00:50 pm »
    I did find it interesting that Senator Ryman was considered to be Republican when he was very Democratic by today's standards. I loved the implications about the news stations and their unreliableness (remind anyone of the sentiments about FOX?)
    My usual genre: Paranormal Chick Lit Steampunk Historical Romance Fantasy novels

Offline Geemont

• Pacific Northwest
    • Bookaholic
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 07:25:53 pm »
    I don't think it was much of a surprise about Tate. The surprise is more the why, what, and how.

Yeah, it was so obvious to almost be a let down, but I know it was coming.  But he is, in a sense, the pasty for the high cause.

I think there is a good chance a higher muckamack as already be introduced.  Some one a bit off, maybe a bit crazy.

As for other politics, I think the author was going for criticism of The Bush\Cheney War on Terrorism.  Not that I disagree too hard, but, again, a bit obvious.

I liked Grant's optimistiic take on blogging as the last venue of true and impartial journalism.  From the rare occasions when I watch the for profit media moguls, I get the impression they build their an angles, views, and proclamations based, not on evidence and research, but on what will sell more TV time.  However,  I think, Grant is flawed because after 25 years of standardized blogging,  the journalist would be just a willing to skew evidence and research for higher hit rates.  But I'm cynical about human nature.  Though I gave Grant the pure journalistic integrity surviving in a work of fiction for the sake of the story.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement