Author Topic: They're Replacing My Kindle 3 - Advice Needed!  (Read 1177 times)  

Offline PraiseGod13

• Iowa
  • <'///>< Member #54
    • View Profile
They're Replacing My Kindle 3 - Advice Needed!
« on: August 04, 2011, 11:28:58 am »
I know this has been discussed many times in the past... but I've never had to have a Kindle replaced so I confess to not paying close attention to the discussions.  I researched here in KBs about getting your books and collections moved to your new replacement Kindle, and everything I've read talks about having to re-download all of your books from your Amazon archive... and then you go to the "Add Other Device Collections" button and your books will sort into the appropriate collection(s).
     But, this morning when I talked to a Kindle CS rep, he said that I wouldn't need to re-download all of my books.  He said that when I registered my replacement Kindle and de-registered my original Kindle, that my books would then be on the replacement Kindle and I wouldn't have to go through downloading my books again (I have over 500 books on my current Kindle).  I questioned him about it, to make sure I understood what he was saying correctly since it is the opposite of what has been posted here..... and he repeated the same information again.
     Can someone please tell me your experience with your books and collections and what you had to do with a replacement K3???   Thanks!!!!!!!

MaKK (K1) & Shemar (K3)
Books let us into their souls and lay open to us the secrets of our own. ~ William Hazl

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Online Ann in Arlington

• Super Moderators-5
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    Re: They're Replacing My Kindle 3 - Advice Needed!
    « Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 12:13:38 pm »
    I know this has been discussed many times in the past... but I've never had to have a Kindle replaced so I confess to not paying close attention to the discussions.  I researched here in KBs about getting your books and collections moved to your new replacement Kindle, and everything I've read talks about having to re-download all of your books from your Amazon archive... and then you go to the "Add Other Device Collections" button and your books will sort into the appropriate collection(s).

Yeah. . . .that's how it worked for me. . . . Mine failed in February or so and the replacement came next day.  I did NOT de-register the old one until I registered the new one.  I then re-downloaded my books in batches of 100 or so, letting it index over night between each batch, and checking for problems as I did.  Then I imported my collections.  (If you de-register the old one before you do this, there won't be any other device's collections to import! :o )

After I was sure the new Kindle was all set, I de-registered the old one and sent it back using the printable label I'd gotten via email.

But, this morning when I talked to a Kindle CS rep, he said that I wouldn't need to re-download all of my books.  He said that when I registered my replacement Kindle and de-registered my original Kindle, that my books would then be on the replacement Kindle and I wouldn't have to go through downloading my books again (I have over 500 books on my current Kindle).  I questioned him about it, to make sure I understood what he was saying correctly since it is the opposite of what has been posted here..... and he repeated the same information again.
         Can someone please tell me your experience with your books and collections and what you had to do with a replacement K3???   Thanks!!!!!!!

I would not count on what he told you being true. . .though it's possible they've changed things. . . .

The problem with loading them all at once (whether you do it or they do) is that if you have quite a lot of them it really drains the battery as the new device tries to index -- especially if something gets corrupted and stuck in the process.  Besides, you may not want all the books from the other one on the new one.

I don't think he's right.  He may have been thinking that they'd be available via the Archived Items link, which is true, though I found it easier to send them from 'Manage Your Kindle', but I'll be Very Surprised!!! :o :o :o if they download automatically.  You'll have to let us know. :D
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline PraiseGod13

• Iowa
    • <'///>< Member #54
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 01:57:27 pm »
    Thanks so much, Ann!  Your experience is what I expected, so that's why I asked the CS rep twice.  I'll let you know..... But I'm thinking I'll have to download from Manage Your Kindle in small batches.  Here is another problem.....  I have over 800 books in my archive since I've had a Kindle for almost three years now.  But, obviously I've been reading those three years so I have around 500 on my Kindle now.  Do I now need to (UGH!!) make a list of the 500 titles so I know which books to re-download?  I obviously remember the titles of most that I have read..... But many books have fallen into the "not memorable" category and others I have left on my Kindle for re-reading.  So I'm not sure I trust myself to be able to duplicate my Kindle library on the replacement from memory only.

MaKK (K1) & Shemar (K3)
    Books let us into their souls and lay open to us the secrets of our own. ~ William Hazl

Offline Morf

• Preston, UK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 02:19:58 pm »
    I guess the simple answer is... why bother? Books in your archive are every bit as safe as books on your Kindle, you can re-download them at any time in the future.

So I would take it as an opportunity to tidy up your Kindle. When the new one arrives, look through your archive and download the books you actually think you're going to want to read this week, or next week, or sometime in the near distant future, and leave the rest in your archive where you can get them if you need them.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Super Moderators-5
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 02:39:58 pm »
    Morf is right. . . just do your best and realize you're starting over so you can try to be more organized about it this time. ::)  Or, you certainly can make a list of everything currently on the Kindle -- the only way to do that is to just copy it down as you page through the screens. :)

I had been pretty good about marking when I'd read something, which means that it got a star rating in 'your collection'.  So it was pretty easy for me to use that listing to decide which books didn't need to be put on the new Kindle and which ones I might want, even if I had read it.

Or, what you might do is make one new collection called something like "Did I read this?" and you can just make it a rule to at least start one book from that group every 2nd or 3rd read.  If you figure out you DID read it, you can mark it as such and delete it.  If not, well, there you have your next read! ;D
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline PraiseGod13

• Iowa
    • <'///>< Member #54
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 03:48:27 pm »
    Thanks for the help and suggestions!

MaKK (K1) & Shemar (K3)

Offline PraiseGod13

• Iowa
    • <'///>< Member #54
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 01:41:59 pm »
    Here's the latest update and one more really ignorant question that I have never found the answer to.  First,  Yes, you do need to download each of your books manually from your archive.  Since I am able to keep my original Kindle for a while, I have it side-by-side with the replacement and I'm using the titles from each collection to search the archive on my laptop and then download each title to the replacement Kindle.  I'll do them in small batches and then let each batch index before moving on to more.
         My question:  Once your books have downloaded..... Do you need to leave Whispernet on for the indexing process?  As always.... Thanks for your invaluable help!

MaKK (K1) & Shemar (K3)

Offline sebat

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 01:44:08 pm »
    I've never left my whispernet on for indexing. 

Offline PraiseGod13

• Iowa
    • <'///>< Member #54
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 02:09:06 pm »
    I've always thought it was probably an "internal" process.... But I couldn't find anywhere in the manual that said one way or the other and I'm definitely "technology-challenged" so I never knew for sure.  Thanks so much!

MaKK (K1) & Shemar (K3)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement