Author Topic: Modkindle's Tuff-Luv Kindle 2 Cover Review  (Read 6442 times)  

Offline modkindle

• View Profile
    • Literary Sluts - We'll go to bed with any book
Modkindle's Tuff-Luv Kindle 2 Cover Review
« on: May 13, 2009, 12:09:54 pm »
I got my Kindle 2 next day delivery and had pre-ordered even before the announcement, so I have had it since February. I read the Kindle naked until mid-April when I picked up an Amazon cover which I didnt like.

I quickly realized I wanted something that held the Kindle completely stationary, offered a LOT of protection (I am hard on my things) and ideally had a stand. So I chose the Tuff-Luv flip style cover. I have been using it now for more than 2 weeks, close to 3 and I can tell you I think it is nearly a perfect cover.

The Good
   The cover is well made. The leather is pleasant to touch and doesnt have a bad odor like some new leathers.
   The stitching is even and tight.
   It has a tiny bit of padding in between the leather and the stiff backing which makes the case look and feel expensive.
   The stand works really well.
   The snap for closure is secure and can be snapped and unsnapped with one hand.
   I chose pink, and it is a pretty light pink color, someplace in-between powder and cotton candy.
   The front flips all the way back and lies flat against the back.
   All buttons are easily accessible and functionality is not compromised.
   I can still read easily with one hand, although I do now have a slight preference for holding it with both hands which I did not have when I read the Kindle naked.
   My feeling is the Kindle is very very very well protected.
   Before getting this cover, I had dropped my Kindle 3 times. Since getting this cover I have not dropped it once. I think part of it is that the cover provides better grip when holding it but also that the leather is less slippery so it is harder to knock off of a table or other surface.

The Not So Good
My complaints about this case are for the most part minor, but I do have some.
   The leather behind the small decorative grommet on the front is white not pink. I dont know if it was A. a style choice or B. a flaw in my case but I dont like it.
   If you listen to audio books or MP3s you cant open the case the whole way with the headphones already in. You can open it enough to get to the buttons and use the kindle but you cant flip the front all the way to the back and then back to the front without removing the headphones. I dont listen to audio books or MP3s so I dont care.
   My biggest complaint about the case is that since the Kindle just slips in from the top, it can slide out that way too. Not when you are reading and it is impossible to open the cover upside down, but if you set it down on the couch or your nightstand without closing the cover and knocked it off the Kindle could conceivably slip out. I wish there were a piece of elastic or a latch or something that covered part of the top opening once you put the Kindle in.

On the whole, I really love this cover. I liked reading the Kindle naked and thought that I might end up using a cover only during my commute and not at home, but I like the cover enough that I leave the Kindle in it all the time.

Pictures from my original post.

Link to Amazon
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 09:36:59 pm by Harvey »
Our book review blog. www.literarysluts.com

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline GeorgeGlass

• ohio
      • View Profile
    Re: My Tuff-Luv Kindle 2 Cover Review
    « Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 12:21:42 pm »
    Thank you!  ;D

Your review may have sold one. I've been waiting for an in-depth commentary. I love reading my Kindle nekkid, but I just know that as klutzy as I am, I will drop this thing sooner or later. Your first two negatives don't apply to me (I'll order a more manly black and I don't listen to audio books). I think I can be cautious regarding the third one, or if it is really a problem, I can jury rig something.

ETA: Just one-clicked.
    « Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 12:35:08 pm by GeorgeGlass »

Offline DD

• Member #484
      • View Profile
    Re: Modkindle's Tuff-Luv Kindle 2 Cover Review
    « Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 03:45:03 pm »
    Thank you so much for this very detailed review.
    Kindles I have owned or now own:
    K1, K2, KK, DX, Touch, FireHD, PW2, Voyage, Oasis8th gen, Oasis9th gen, PW10th gen, Oasis10th gen

Offline bfc2345

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 12:50:45 pm »
    Can someone do the same review for the flip-style Tuff-Luv?
    Thanks!
    Belinda

Offline DD

• Member #484
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 02:25:17 pm »
    Can someone do the same review for the flip-style Tuff-Luv?
    Thanks!
    Belinda

This is the flip style, isn't it?  Maybe you mean the book style?
    Kindles I have owned or now own:
    K1, K2, KK, DX, Touch, FireHD, PW2, Voyage, Oasis8th gen, Oasis9th gen, PW10th gen, Oasis10th gen

Offline kindle zen

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 02:42:11 pm »
    very well done review modkindle.  we do need someone to post a review on the book version.  Harvey has one so hopefully we'll hear from him.  i also did a review of the flip case which i like for the most part.
    regards

Offline bfc2345

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 11:54:23 am »
    OOops! Yes, I meant can someone do the same kind of review for the book-style?
    Belinda

Offline KBoards Admin

• Administrator
    • Bellingham WA
    • Love all, moderate all.
      • View Profile
      • KBoards
    « Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 09:37:36 pm »
    ^ Yes, I have the book-style one so will be posting a review in the next few days.
    Flint and Flame: 15%

Authors: set up your own work-in-progress bar with our Author Sig tool.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement