Poll

Which book do you want to read and discuss in October?

"Midnight Riot" by Ben Aaronovitch
2 (20%)
"The Tourist" by Olen Steinhauer
6 (60%)
"Moonlight Mile" by Dennis Lehane
2 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: August 27, 2011, 06:57:53 am

Author Topic: October Book of the Month club - read & discuss  (Read 4334 times)  

Offline KindleGirl

• View Profile
October Book of the Month club - read & discuss
« on: August 13, 2011, 06:57:53 am »
LauraB is our discussion leader for October and she has chosen 3 great books from the mystery/suspense genre. Please check them out and then vote for the one you'd like to read and discuss. The poll will be open for 2 weeks.

Description from Amazon:
Probationary Constable Peter Grant dreams of being a detective in Londons Metropolitan Police. Too bad his superior plans to assign him to the Case Progression Unit, where the biggest threat hell face is a paper cut. But Peters prospects change in the aftermath of a puzzling murder, when he gains exclusive information from an eyewitness who happens to be a ghost. Peters ability to speak with the lingering dead brings him to the attention of Detective Chief Inspector Thomas Nightingale, who investigates crimes involving magic and other manifestations of the uncanny. Now, as a wave of brutal and bizarre murders engulfs the city, Peter is plunged into a world where gods and goddesses mingle with mortals and a long-dead evil is making a comeback on a rising tide of magic.

From Publishers Weekly
Starred Review. Edgar-finalist Steinhauer takes a break from his crime series set in an unnamed Eastern European country under Communist rule (Liberation Movements, etc.) to deliver an outstanding stand-alone, a contemporary spy thriller. Milo Weaver used to be a tourist, one of the CIA's special field agents without a home or a name. Six years after leaving that career, Milo has found a certain amount of satisfaction as a husband and a father and with a desk job at the CIA's New York headquarters. The arrest of an international hit man and a meeting with a former colleague yank Milo back into his old role, from which retirement is never really possible. While plenty of breathtaking scenes in the world's most beautiful places bolster the heart-stopping action, the real story is the soul-crushing toil the job inflicts on a person who can't trust anyone, whose life is a lie fueled by paranoia. George Clooney's company has bought the film rights with the actor slated to star and produce. 100,000 first printing; author tour. (Mar.)
Copyright Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

Amazon.com Review
Amazon Best Books of the Month, November 2010: Its tough going for a good man in a messed-up world, particularly in Dennis Lehane's Boston. Patrick Kenzie knows he did the right thing twelve years ago (during the events in Gone, Baby, Gone) when he located missing 4-year-old Amanda McCready and returned her to her neglectful mother, even though she wouldve been better off with her kidnappers. That doesnt mean hes had an easy time living with his decision. In Moonlight Mile, Patrick is still scraping by as a freelance PI, but now hes married to his former partner Angie Gennaro and with a daughter of his own. When Patrick learns that once again Amanda McCreadys gone missing, his conscience gets the better of him and he's soon on the trail of the enigmatic 16-year-old, only to discover that the moral complexity of his work has not lessened with time. And neither has Lehane's talent as a top-notch crime writer. Much like a cup of Dunkin' Donuts coffee, Lehane never fails to satisfy and the latest Patrick and Angie story is no less addictive. --Shane Hansanuwat
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 08:34:32 pm by KindleGirl »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline KindleGirl

• View Profile
    Re: October Book of the Month club - we need your vote!
    « Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 06:00:41 am »
    Only 5 days left to vote for the October book!!  Check out the samples and then come back and cast your vote.

Offline KindleGirl

• View Profile
    Re: October Book of the Month club - we need your vote!
    « Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 07:15:34 am »
    Only 2 more days to get your votes in! Voting ends Saturday morning...hurry and check out the samples and come back to vote!

Offline KindleGirl

• View Profile
    Re: October Book of the Month club - voting ends Saturday!
    « Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 06:59:51 am »
    The winner of the poll for the October book club is:

"The Tourist" by Olen Steinhauer

LauraB will be leading discussions for this book beginning in October, so be sure to come back to read and discuss with everyone!

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    Re: October Book of the Month club - book has been chosen!
    « Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 03:44:56 pm »
    Well, well!  I may just join in on this one. . . especially as I bought the book a year or so ago. . . .good excuse to finally read it! :D
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline KindleGirl

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 05:11:19 am »
    October's discussion will be starting soon. If you haven't already picked up the book or audio book, go run and get it now! Now that you can read library books on your kindle, maybe your library even has it....

Offline Geemont

• Pacific Northwest
    • Bookaholic
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 10:36:56 pm »
    I've started the unabridged audio version, downloaded from the library to my iPod.

Offline LauraB

• midwest, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 09:30:47 am »
    Well, here we are the 1st of October. I hope everyone enjoys the book as we read it.

I've been thinking about a few overview ideas that come to my mind as I read. Questions like: How does one build a life, as an individual, when their profession requires anonymity? And, knowing that spying really does happen, that question fascinates me.  Also, how does a employment entity that runs a group of people with hidden identities and covert lives, trust what they get back? They expect to be treated with integrity, yet expect those same people to live lies.

I hope everyone feels free to answer and questions of mine that they find interesting, and ask ones they are thinking about. I love to have my own thoughts triggered by others.

Do we want to use the spoiler option since this is a mystery/thriller?
    Books read in 2010: 43 2011: 42 + the Bible 2012: 60; books read 2013:56*

Offline Geemont

• Pacific Northwest
    • Bookaholic
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 05:07:24 pm »
    Yes to the spoiler option.  Especially since I'm only 2/3 done.  I'll have to think about question of building a life.

And here is a little extra treat taken out of the book:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5aeeSmkPwQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5aeeSmkPwQ</a>

Offline 1131

• View Profile
    Re: October Book of the Month club - read & discuss
    « Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 08:16:04 am »
    Yes, a spoiler option please.  I have not started the book yet.  I need to finish my current book before I start.  It would be nice not to have spoiler tags.

Offline LauraB

• midwest, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 09:17:01 am »
    Geemont thank you for the you tube link that was fun!

Offline 1131

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 09:10:37 pm »
    I started The Tourist yesterday.  I got my interest from page one.  I'm looking forward to discussing the book.

Offline LauraB

• midwest, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: October 07, 2011, 04:26:36 am »
    It does grab you. I'm giving people a chance to get into the book, but if people start posting they have begun reading is  helpful  ;D

Offline Geemont

• Pacific Northwest
    • Bookaholic
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: October 12, 2011, 07:53:50 am »
    I think it's a more realistic view of spying--more real than James Bond films, at least--and there's nothing glamorous about tourists.  I like the fact that he has Americans doing the killings, not just some communists.

However, I guessed a lot.  The moment it was mentioned Milo spoke Russian red flags (no pun intended) went up.

Offline LauraB

• midwest, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: October 15, 2011, 04:47:14 pm »
    The second book, The Nearest Exit goes into the Russian link much more. But The Tourist  ties up nicely in the end. It isn't one of those cliff hanger books.

I also like the idea that it isn't stereotypical in its display of cultures. It seems more realistic then preaching. When I read it I can sense the mental and physical fatigue the job/lifestyle must cause.

Offline 1131

• View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: October 16, 2011, 09:07:52 pm »
    I'm not sure how the world of spying works, but I think it would be more like this than a James Bond film.  I didn't know what to think about the different characters.  Can you trust him?  Is she being set up?  Why does Milo speak fluent Russian?  He's acting weird, but not as weird as that one.  The writer did a good job of getting across how Milo must feel.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement