Author Topic: Kindle 2 TuffLuv case another POV  (Read 3307 times)  

Offline kindle zen

• View Profile
Kindle 2 TuffLuv case another POV
« on: May 14, 2009, 02:31:53 pm »

just got my tuff luv case.  i didn't know they ship from the UK.  the circular company logo just didn't do it for me so i glued on an oberon tree of life charm over it.  the sun was made with a leather stamp. the main purpose for always keeping my kindle in a case is for protection particularly if dropped and this is the only case that i own that protects parts of the front of the kindle with the case folded open due to the sleeve design yet still allows easy access to all the buttons except the bottom key board row which is slightly hindered but not enough to bother me. overall the case had a nice design but there are problems i have with the compact size of the case as seen below

above you see the top leather that covers the top of the kindle which is only a tad over 1 mm thick with no padding which for me is not enough protection for the kindles top.  on the flip over version the kindles top is fully exposed only when the cover is flipped open where as the book version is always exposed which increases  the risk of the kindle falling out unexpectedly especially when being carried around which is why i didn't get the book version.   there needs to be a method to secure the opening to prevent an accident.  fortunately my kindle still has a skin with velcro strips on the back for mounting on my oberon case.  the fuzzy velcro add just enough thickness to make the kindle fit snugly in the tuff-luv case so slippage is not an issue.  sticking some fuzzy velcro strips to the inside back of the case should also help snug things up for those with bare back kindles.

another concern are the exposed lower corners which are very close to the edge of the case and may allow direct contact with the ground if it were to land corner first. in fact my kindle bottom right corner touches the ground depending on the position of the top cover when the kindle was hand held corner to the ground. the top cover shifts left & right, up and down a little along the bottom so this is why there's some variance in the corner exposure.  the sides of the case are also too narrow for comfort and may also allow direct contact.  this is why i'd like the case to be a little longer and wider to extend further beyond the kindles edges so the case takes the brunt of impacts while leaving the kindle untouched (though not necessarily undamaged).  both my oberon and m-edge cases do well in this regard but they don't protect the kindles front when open.  i would also like more stiffness to the top and bottom covers to better protect the screen from being pressed on too hard.  common sense dictates no case can adequately shield the kindle in a severe impact but for a typical mishap such as being dropped i would say this case doesn't quite provide adequate protection to the degree i would like but i still like it and will see about doing more mods to improve it to suit my particular needs.

the mighty bright light works well with this case

good points:
light weight.  the lightest of all my cases.
good quality construction
soft to the touch like the m-edge cases.
good protection when open.
easy to hold one handed.

improvements i'd like to see:
about 1/2 inch increase in width and length of the case.
padding for the top edge.
stiffer flap covers
flap or other means of securing the top opening especially important for the book version.

minor quibbles:
the round logo isn't particularly appealing.
the magnetic button is slowish to button closed.  i installed a velcro pads over the button which is easier and faster and more secure.
the extendable stand is ok though i prefer the m-edge platform stand method as being more stable.
not the case for kindle skin lovers.
plain looking but easy to fancy up as desired.

Amazon link: Tuff-Luv leather Kindle 2 flip case
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 09:35:39 pm by Harvey »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline pidgeon92

• Chicago IL
    • Nothin' but a hound dog.
      • View Profile
      • Carmen-Ashland Building
    Re: Kindle 2 TuffLuv case another POV
    « Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 05:04:03 pm »
    Great review, and an excellent job on the customization.
       my e-readers: Kindle 2 Kindle 3 nook iPad Sony-950

Offline modkindle

• View Profile
      • Literary Sluts - We'll go to bed with any book
    « Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 10:23:04 am »
    thanks for reviewing it too. You make some really interesting points that I hadn't thought of. ALthough I could see the value in having soem padding on the top, I wonder if that would make the cover difficult to flip all the way back? For me, I really hope they add nothing to width and length, but I can see where it would be of value to some.
    Our book review blog. www.literarysluts.com

Offline bfc2345

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 04:52:46 pm »
    Will someone please do the same kind of review for the Tuff-Luv Book-Style cover?

Offline kindle zen

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 10:53:30 pm »
    thanks for the comments pidgeon and modkindle.  i'm still trying to see about doing some mods to improve security of the case.  i really like to compact size of the case but adding a 1/2 inch to width and length would still make it a little smaller than my oberon case and improve safety for the kindle which is my main priority.

Offline blade

• NY
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 05:24:45 pm »
    Will someone please do the same kind of review for the Tuff-Luv Book-Style cover?

I have the Book-Style.  I agree with the OP with all that was said. 

Front flap easily opens back, easy to use w/one hand.

My main concern is that there is no protection for the top, at all.  I was worried that if I picked it the wrong way my K2 would fall out.  I tried to dislodge the K2 upside down and it stayed fine. 

I prefer it over my M-Edge.

AJ

Offline Sweety18

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 06:07:38 pm »
    That's a nice looking cover, I like the way it sits when folded like that.

Offline cheerio

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 04:14:32 pm »
    Nice look, give us more feedback in a few months. I always like to check on durablilty over time
    "Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt

"A successful person is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks that others throw at him or her." David Brinkle

KBoards.com

• Advertisement