Author Topic: JUNGLE OF DECEIT - Romantic Adventure  (Read 6603 times)  

Offline mamiller

• View Profile
    • www.maureenamiller.com
JUNGLE OF DECEIT - Romantic Adventure
« on: August 16, 2011, 01:54:40 pm »

I am so happy to announce the release of my romantic adventure, JUNGLE OF DECEIT.

About the book:

Mitch Hasslet, a war photojournalist relegated to a desk job, is the sole witness to a heist of Mayan artifacts. Recruited by the enigmatic director of the Museum of Art and Antiquities, Mitch is sent to Guatemala, the last location the shipment was tracked to. Acting as the museum staff photographer, Mitch joins a group of archaeologists. His goal is to locate the artifacts as swiftly as possible so that he can collect his compensation and get the hell out of the jungle.

Alexandra Langley is about to run out of funds. She has yet to discover the lost Mayan civilization she knows lurks in the rain-forest. To achieve her grant, she will accept the museum's latest nuisance, Mitch Hasslet, and any other obstacle that is sent her way.

Unsuccessful and desperate, Alexandra has decided to move the group to a portion of the jungle referred to as, No Mans Land−a sector where archaeological teams have ventured but never returned. Here the group stumbles on a cement-barricaded compound. Wary of danger, they retreat, only to discover a raging forest fire has broken out behind them, forcing them to seek refuge inside the suspicious complex. Now imprisoned, Alex and Mitch learn that the compound is an elaborate front for what lies beneath−an underground cavern filled with misappropriated Mayan artifacts. It is a museum called Xibalba, and it plays host to affluent criminals− unscrupulous private collectors with a passion for acquiring priceless relics.

In Xibalba, Alex is forced to play the role of a curator where her rules are simple. Sell the artifacts−or else.

As Mitch and Alex discover romance, will their bond protect them in a jungle filled with deceit?

« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 06:00:22 pm by mamiller »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Dana Taylor

• Hawaii
    • Supernal Living.com--Exploring wonder
      • View Profile
      • Supernal Living
    Re: JUNGLE OF DECEIT - From the author of WIDOW'S TALE
    « Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 09:03:07 pm »
    Wowsers, Maureen, you're just knocking the books out of the park! This one looks so exotic and exciting. Love the cover! I'm behind on my MM books!

Congratulations!

Dana
    Dana Taylor
    Twitter: @SupernalDana @bookluvinbabes Blog www.DanaTaylorAuthor.com

Offline medicalhumor

• Seattle, WA.
    • "Mike Cyra is the Dave Barry of medicine"
      • View Profile
      • Mike Cyra Author of Emergency Laughter Series
    « Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 03:41:38 am »
    Welcome to the boards,
    Mike Cyra

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not really a moderator. :)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 01:01:30 pm »
    Hello again, Maureen, and congratulations on your book!  :)

Please note that KindleBoards is a Readers and Kindle Fan forum.  Authors are always welcome to post anywhere but, as you browse the 'boards, please keep in mind that self-promotion, of any sort, is ONLY allowed here in the Book Bazaar.

A brief recap of our rules follows: (Note that this doesn't mean you've done anything wrong; we just want you to have a ready reference, so post this note in every thread. :) )

--Please bookmark this thread (using your browser's bookmark/favorite function) so you can update it as we ask that authors have only one thread per book and add to it when there is more information.  You may start a separate thread for each book (or you may have one thread per series of books, or one thread for all of your books, it's your choice).

--We invite you to use your book cover as your avatar and have links to your book and website in your signature. Instructions are posted here

--While you may respond to member posts to your thread at any time, you may only bump your thread (back-to-back posts by you) once every seven days.  Once you've responded to a member, that resets the clock to zero and you must wait seven days to post, unless another member posts before then.

--We ask that Amazon reviews not be repeated here as they are easy to find at your book link.  Also, full reviews from other sites should not be posted here, but you may post a short blurb and a link to the full review instead.

--Although self-promotion is limited to the Book Bazaar, our most successful authors have found the best way to promote their books is to be as active throughout KindleBoards as time allows.  This is your target audience--book lovers with Kindles!  Please note that putting link information in the body of your posts constitutes self promotion; please leave your links for your profile signature that will automatically appear on each post.  For information on more ways to promote here on KindleBoards, be sure to check out this thread:
    Authors: KindleBoards Tips & FAQ.

All this, and more, is included in our Forum Decorum.  Be sure to check it from time to time for the current guidelines and rules.

Thanks for being part of KindleBoards!  Feel free to send us a PM if you have any questions.

Betsy & Ann
    Book Bazaar Moderators
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline VickiT

• Australia
    • Vicki Tyley
      • View Profile
      • Vicki Tyley - Novels of Mystery and Suspense
    « Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 02:31:47 pm »
    Wahoo! I've been waiting for the release of this. (You know, you shouldn't tease us in advance. That's mean. :))

Congratulations, Maureen. I've just one-clicked.  ;D

Cheers
    Vicki

Also available from Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and Smashwords
    Visit Vicki's website: www.vickityley.com

Offline mamiller

• View Profile
      • www.maureenamiller.com
    « Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 06:01:46 pm »
    Thank you Dana, Mike, Anne and Vicki!

I have a little excerpt to share... JUNGLE OF DECEIT

Waking up on the hot tarmac with a swollen eye and a faulty chin, Mitch lumbered to his car. The guerillas, or whatever the hell they were, were long gone, as well as the shipment from the museum.
        He needed to call for an ambulance. Men were down.
        Before he could even get his scraped knuckles to cooperate, a black stretch limousine pulled up alongside his car. He jerked back a step, startled to have not heard the motor.
        A tinted window slid down with a hiss as the driver, indiscernible behind sunglasses and cap, inquired in a deep voice, Mr. Hasslet?  Mitchell Hasslet from the Chronicle?
        Mitch nodded and rubbed at his jaw.
        Please get in, sir.
        Staring at the sleek limo as if it were an alien craft, Mitch managed a gruff, Excuse me?
        Please get in, sir. Mr. Nicholson would like to have a word with you.
        The crazed expression of Jack Nicholson in The Shining flashed in his mind.
        I dont know a Mr. Nicholson. Mitchs voice was hoarse. But if you have a cell phone in there, can you call 911?
        Sunlight reflected off the drivers glasses.
        Its been taken care of, sir. Please get in.
        Hey, look, Mitchs fingers began to work their way around his door handle, I dont know how you know my name, but I need to get to the authorities now. There are men that have been shot, theres no time for this bull
        The rear window of the limousine rolled down with a soft purr. An indistinct silhouette filled its frame and a disembodied voice called, Mr. Hasslet, I am Phillip Nicholson, the Director of the Museum of Historical Art and Antiquities. I would really appreciate a moment of your time.
        He paused and added with the benevolence of a holy man, trust me, the police and ambulances are on their way.
        On cue, sirens could be heard in the distance. Mitch felt his jawbone throb and winced at the glare from the drivers sunglasses.
        The car door opened in silent invitation, and the blast of air conditioning felt like an ice pack against his swollen cheek.
        Please, Mr. Hasslet. We need your help.

Offline Theresaragan

• Sacramento, CA
      • View Profile
      • 3 genres, 2 names, 1 author
    « Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 10:33:20 pm »
    Maureen, your book sounds very exciting. Great cover, too!

Offline stacydan

• East Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 08:28:59 am »
    Looks and sounds great!  Just one-clicked, but it may be awhile before I have a chance to read it, I'm finishing up Cross-Cultural Management and starting Organizational Behavior .....  but at least I know when I do get a break I will have a great book waiting for me!!

Offline mamiller

• View Profile
      • www.maureenamiller.com
    « Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 02:40:20 pm »
    Thank you so much Theresa.  You have some great books listed as well!!  :D

Stacy, my dear, this one is "your" book. It's a little late, but this is the one we talked about as yours!  :)  I am so proud of you.  One day you are going to be able to rest.

Offline mamiller

• View Profile
      • www.maureenamiller.com
    « Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 07:09:04 pm »

Grab a handful of popcorn and sit back for a trailer from JUNGLE OF DECEIT

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI4_hjWOBTw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI4_hjWOBTw</a>

Offline VickiT

• Australia
    • Vicki Tyley
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 08:11:24 pm »
    Terrific trailer, Maureen. I love the soundtrack you chose -- it conjures up jungle and adventure. So when do we get to see the movie?  :)

Cheers
    Vicki

Offline mamiller

• View Profile
      • www.maureenamiller.com
    « Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 03:49:20 pm »
    Hahaha, thanks Vicki. Now just picture me jumping around in a circle to it.  Not a pretty image, huh? ;D

JUNGLE OF DECEIT is featured on Pixel Of Ink's Rough Cuts today!  http://roughcuts.pixelofink.com/jungle-of-deceit-by-maureen-a-miller/

Offline mamiller

• View Profile
      • www.maureenamiller.com
    « Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 01:05:32 pm »

You can now preview the first 20 pages of JUNGLE OF DECEIT on fReado.  http://www.freado.com/book/11047/jungle-of-deceit

Romance and adventure in the jungle. (start humming the Indiana Jones tune... :))  Doo da dooo doooo - doo da dooo. Doo da doo DOOOO doo da dooo doooo doooo....

Offline mamiller

• View Profile
      • www.maureenamiller.com
    « Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 01:25:48 pm »
    Why not take a romantic adventure in the jungle this weekend with  JUNGLE OF DECEIT? :)

Chuck had gone ahead to check the trail one last time. It was almost a relief to have him out of her hair. Between him and Wes, their disapproval of her intended destination was stifling. It wasnt as if she was crossing that barrierthat unseen line where people had gone missing over the past few years. No, they would be a good forty miles from the sector labeled No Mans Land on Chucks map.

Alex would never jeopardize the safety of her crew, particularly considering most were college students, too young to know any better on their own. Maybe she was barely ten years older than most of them, but it might as well have been a lifetime. Youth was something that fascinated her, but she felt a strange disassociation with it.

Again Alexs gaze returned to the photographer. He swiped a hand through hair made darker by perspiration. The hair was nice to look at, but her focus was on that hand. Big and scarred with nicks. A mans hand.

That rogue thought spurred Alex to slam down the trunk of the Jeep. The sound drew the photographers attention her way and she met his eyes.

Midnight blue.

They reminded her of the ponds that provided sanctuary from the rigors of this dig. Cloistered by palm fronds, those small bodies of stagnant water discharged curls of steam on sultry mornings. Each pond was a temple to her. Each a retreat.
    And Mitch Hasslets eyes looked exactly like the dark shadows at their depths.

Alex jerked her glance away. Maybe the move of their camp would improve her sudden treacherous thoughts. Yes, of course it would. A new challenge in an uncharted jungle. Land that no archeologist had covered.

Well, she couldnt say that was true.

If an archeologist hadthey never returned to tell about it.

Offline mamiller

• View Profile
      • www.maureenamiller.com
    Re: JUNGLE OF DECEIT - Romantic Adventure
    « Reply #14 on: September 17, 2011, 02:59:23 pm »

I'm so excited. JUNGLE OF DECEIT just received a 5 star rating on Goodreads, with a note saying, "It was amazing!"  ;D 

Yay!!

Offline VickiT

• Australia
    • Vicki Tyley
      • View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: September 22, 2011, 06:44:55 pm »
    Waah! I wanted to read Jungle Of Deceit while I was on holiday, but I forgot to upload it to my ereader before I went. Duh! :(

Rectified now, though!  ;D

Cheers
    Vicki

Offline mamiller

• View Profile
      • www.maureenamiller.com
    « Reply #16 on: September 24, 2011, 08:30:59 am »
    I hope you enjoy it, Vicki! I value your opinion tremendously....so I shall sit here nibbling my fingernails knowing that you're reading it.  :D

Offline mamiller

• View Profile
      • www.maureenamiller.com
    « Reply #17 on: September 30, 2011, 12:13:09 pm »

Hi all! I am guesting on KILLER CHICKS today.  I don't consider myself very "killer-chicky", but you can learn about how a little side story from 9/11 sparked an idea to write JUNGLE OF DECEIT.

Please stop by! :)  http://www.killerchicks.org/2011/09/guest-maureen-miller-on-911-inspiration.html

Offline VickiT

• Australia
    • Vicki Tyley
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: October 03, 2011, 05:18:26 pm »
    Fascinating story, Maureen. I love that a news snippet sparked a novel. Can't wait to read Jungle Of Deceit, especially now that I know where the idea came from.  :)

Cheers
    Vicki

Offline mamiller

• View Profile
      • www.maureenamiller.com
    « Reply #19 on: October 04, 2011, 05:59:40 am »
    Thanks, Vicki. It was an interesting story. The couple that purchased the artifacts spent years fighting the system to keep them, but the bottom line was that the artifacts belonged to Guatemala.  Very interesting tale indeed. :)

Offline stacydan

• East Texas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: October 10, 2011, 08:37:01 am »
    I was up until 11:30 last night finishing this book, I just couldn't stop reading because I wanted to know what was going to happen next!  LOVED IT!  You really outdid yourself on this one!  And very well edited too.  So, I will allow you a short break, but what are you working on next?  ;D

Offline mamiller

• View Profile
      • www.maureenamiller.com
    « Reply #21 on: October 10, 2011, 02:46:21 pm »
    I was up until 11:30 last night finishing this book, I just couldn't stop reading because I wanted to know what was going to happen next!  LOVED IT!  You really outdid yourself on this one!  And very well edited too.  So, I will allow you a short break, but what are you working on next?  ;D

Thank you so much, Stacy!!  I'm getting weepy-eyed typing to you. I'm so happy you enjoyed it.  :'( :) :D ;D

Offline VickiT

• Australia
    • Vicki Tyley
      • View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: October 10, 2011, 03:05:37 pm »
    Jungle Of Deceit is next on my reading list! It's just taking me a while to get through the true crime book I'm reading at my current read-one-page-fall-asleep pace. :)

Cheers
    Vicki

Offline mamiller

• View Profile
      • www.maureenamiller.com
    « Reply #23 on: October 10, 2011, 04:32:23 pm »
    I hope you have pillows propped up around you when you read, Vicki.  ;D

Offline VickiT

• Australia